Is SWTOR canon again?

Btrippe

Yes I know, SWTOR was swept under the rug of the extended universe of non canon material by Disney. But in that statement, Disney said, that any star wars content released from now on will be canon. Does that mean that this new expansion is considered canon? Just curious.

Yes I know, SWTOR was swept under the rug of the extended universe of non canon material by Disney. But in that statement, Disney said, that any star wars content released from now on will be canon. Does that mean that this new expansion is considered canon? Just curious.

To be honest, I don't even know if Disney knows if SWTOR is canon. So far, all references to the pre-Phantom Menace Old Republic in new canon material/Star Wars.com Databank have been vague statements about the Sith being "an ancient order" and the Jedi being defenders of peace for "a thousand generations," giving them leeway to make it canon if they so wished (or if it fits with their new plans for expanding into the era).

At the first Community Cantina after the announcement, they said pretty firmly that SWTOR fell into the "EU," meaning it was being considered Legends. However, at a recent cantina in Boston (I may be wrong about the location, but it was in the window of the past few months), they were more ambiguous regarding SWTOR's canonical status. I'll find a link.

EDIT: http://dulfy.net/2014/08/15/swtor-gamescom-2014-cantina-tour-fan-flash-drive/

Not definitive either way, and may just be a fancy way of saying the game is not canon but still works with LucasArts, but the fact they didn't outright say 'no, it's not canon' as they did earlier in the year is somewhat interesting.

Edited by Ravager

Back in May when I went to a Community Cantina event Eric talked about it briefly, but his answer was a bit non-specific: he said that they are dealing with the Lucasfilm story group everyday, but he didn't say flat out that SWTOR is or isn't canon.

Anyway, if it's important to you the best way to think of it is that it's canon until Disney releases something that contradicts it.

But in that statement, Disney said, that any star wars content released from now on will be canon. Does that mean that this new expansion is considered canon?

No, it does not.

My understanding is that this Star Wars game will either not count as "new content" or count under the legends banner. They'll figure something out. In truth, they don't care.

"In truth", eh? You got this info from a responsible person at Disney?

Disney doesn't give a crap about Star Wars canon. It's not even their franchise, they just bought it. They bought it for one purpose only, to make more money.

They don't struggle to be the good guys or only make money the clean way, either. In terms of company ethics, Disney is right up there with Halliburton. They don't hesitate to piss on the US Constitution to make marginally more money (google "mickey mouse law").

So how much respect do you think they'll give SW lore if one day it stands between making $8,500,000 and $8,600,000?

Edited by Heal-To-Full

This game puts Disney in a difficult position. This game still produces money and revenue, a considerable enough amount at that, and EA has the license for the next 10 years I think, Disney I think is going to let the game continue and pretty much turn a blind eye to it as its still producing results.

Also, Star Wars being under Disney is not a death sentence. Look at Marvel, the greatest Superhero movie franchise in all of history, and it has grown to immense proportions all during its 5 years as a Disney property. And it shows no signs of stopping. The CFO a few weeks ago at Disney said that they plan to use a similar model to what they did with Marvel and hopefully apply it to Star Wars. If done correctly to adjust for the differences in the franchises I can imagine it succeeding. Though its too early to tell right now we got to wait for Episode 7 first. If they succeed there in the way Iron Man succeeded they got a good launchpad.

I am curious, does it matter if the game is canon or not? It is set thousands of years before any of the films, I doubt very much could be added in-game which impedes the new ones. I would suspect that if it keeps making money then I do not see why it will not continue, no matter what it's 'canon' state is. Edited by Cyberwoman

Essentially, Star Wars EU stuff is now only canon until it isn't. Until something is directly contradicted by the new stuff, it's good to go.

That's not how it works...that's not how any of this works.

Edited by Arkerus

Whether Disney acknowledges it as Canon or not has no meaning to me. Anything post-lucas is Non-Cannon to me, what Disney says in my mind does not matter, I have spent too much time and money buying/reading all the books/comics of Star Wars over the last 19 years to give a **** what Disney thinks is Cannon just because they bought out Lucasarts. Meaning to me this upcoming expansion is Non-cannon, reason being Revan somehow amassing a massive army that can take on both the Republic and Empire, and trying to destroy both the Empire AND Republic seems contradictiary to his beliefs up until this point, and unless they have a really good VALID reason (as far as I know they haven't explained anything of it yet) not some BS like "When you defeated Revan in the foundry he died and came back as his dark side self" as I've heard some people suggesting might be plausible, then in my mind this expansion will just be poorly written fan-fiction. Yes I've pre-ordered the expansion but that's because I still intend to play this game no matter how bad this expansion may disappoint me, MAYBE it WON'T but there is not enough information to formulate such a hypothesis, the information we DO have steers me away from building up hype.

Wow. Not only wrong, but loud wrong. /Golf clap

While I wouldn't go as far a extreme as that guy went. Disney isn't some benevolent company. They didn't buy Star Wars simply because they wanted to revitalize it. They bought it because Disney is a near monopoly wishing to become even bigger, their creativity is nothing but a means to a end, and honestly Disney prefers to let others do the creating and then just buy them out. *cough* Pixar *cough*

Edited by Zoom_VI

While I wouldn't go as far a extreme as that guy went. Disney isn't some benevolent company. They didn't buy Star Wars simply because they wanted to revitalize it. They bought it because Disney is a near monopoly wishing to become even bigger, their creativity is nothing but a means to a end, and honestly Disney prefers to let others do the creating and then just buy them out. *cough* Pixar *cough*

^^^What HE said......