What mouse do you use?

Nisdain

So I'm curious as to what kind of mouse all you fine fellows out there use. My current one (Logitech MX518) is finally biting the dust and I need to replace it. I've been putting it off for over a month now as it's reliably served me for almost 10 years but the mouse wheel is shot, and the left and right mouse buttons aren't registering always.

So what does everyone else out there use?

For the longest time I used a MX 1000, and I loved it dearly *chokes up*......... sadly it too died (mouse button 2 did at least)

Went out and bought a Logitech M510 (since I could no longer afford an MX1000 type mouse) . It took a bit of getting used to, at first it seemed like it was less accurate. After a couple weeks though its back to second nature. If your on a budget something like that M510 will do just fine.

For me the shape / size of the mouse is important, the indention's on the side of the mouse help to keep my hand steady through crazy maneuvers and stuff like that. Tried the "pill" type and traditional flatter mouses to no avail.

So I'm curious as to what kind of mouse all you fine fellows out there use. My current one (Logitech MX518) is finally biting the dust and I need to replace it. I've been putting it off for over a month now as it's reliably served me for almost 10 years but the mouse wheel is shot, and the left and right mouse buttons aren't registering always.

So what does everyone else out there use?

a DeathAdder i got a few years ago.. still works perfectly. I use it for moving, rolling and targeting...

Logitech M510. Sometimes I feel like I could use a few more buttons, but in the price range of up to 2x the cost of the M510 it looked to me like the other options had their extra buttons located in ergonomically bad places.

Mostly chose it for tanking, because I wanted buttons for strafing. For keybinds I have 41 binds I can reach reasonably quickly with my left hand, so I didn't think I really needed lots of buttons on a mouse.

Which reminds me, I need to standardize my GSF keybinds across all my alts on different servers. Hitting engine stop when you mean to roll left is not really a good thing.

Edited by Ramalina

Logitech G600. It's the best mouse I have ever used. At this point, I own three of them, though it might be down to two because one actually just got hail damaged.

Yes, it was inside.

Anyway, best mouse by far.

Logitech G600. It's the best mouse I have ever used. At this point, I own three of them, though it might be down to two because one actually just got hail damaged.

Yes, it was inside.

Anyway, best mouse by far.

Yes, best mouse ever had. I also have two. :) And use different profiles for PVP and GSF. Especially important is the ringfinger key which is assigned with TAB for rapid switch between the opponents.

Edited by Magira

Ok, so:

Straight link to G600:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0086UK7IQ

(it also comes in white)

I am gonna straight up try to sell you this mouse. It is the best mouse I've ever used.

Why I like it:

> Solid configurator software. Logitech is a little "heavy" when it comes to making their user interface stuff, but it is very easy to use and configure by anyone.

> Mouse can store the settings. Some mice I've used (older Razers) couldn't be brought from machine to machine, and if the driver software crashed (which was custom, so it did) you could lose the button mapping. The G600 actually knows that the lower left button is the "7" button (or whatever), so it is that on a Linux box, on a laptop, wherever you take your mouse.

> Decent ability to change between profiles. You can have a profile for different genres, should you need that.

> VERY customizable.

> Shift button provides another set of keys essentially (the button, part of the mouse, to the right of the right key, can be mapped to anything, but is best set as the "G-shift" key, which then turns your other buttons into auxillary functions).

> Lots of buttons, and well designed.- EASILY the best feature of the mouse. Other MMO mice have been a field of fail, and before the G600 I literally spent hundreds of dollars on them over the years. The only other one that I found was good was the WoW mouse, which not only is rather pricey but goes in and out of production and doesn't have all the other strengths. The G buttons on the G600's left side are in two little groups. EVERY button has a bit of a difference to it, so unlike, say, the Razer Naga, you are NEVER in doubt about where your finger is. I cannot emphasize how effortless it is to press the correct button on this mouse, and how it requires no memming or training or anything. The two center buttons both angle up slightly towards the middle, and have a small bump on them, so you know instantly where your resting position is (it will be either on G13 or G16), and as such you can TRIVIALLY roll your thumb to the other buttons in the pad. Again, twelve buttons is a lot to have at your thumbtip without training or drama.

> Good overall shape. The mouse is a decent weight and a good shape.

> Light customization: The fact that you can choose your colors on the keypad (there is one rainbow cycle preset and then any color can be made to pulse, going in and out of brightness, or it can just hold steady) is really great. It changes the look of the mouse even in broad daylight, and is super great at night. Other mice have this feature too, but normally it's hard to make it correct, or it goes away the moment you put the mouse on a fresh computer. I would say that the excellent profile and eerie green of the Razer products is beast, but this just looks like so many mice. Oh, and the light can tell you which profile you are in too, so your productivity can be one color and your gaming another.

> Good overall mechanics- the buttons click with mild pressure, every button feels different, and the three mousy-mouse buttons work correctly (left click, right click, G-shift (customizable)). You could, if you have big hands, even make the far right button your right mouse button and the right button middle click, but like all good mice it has a rollerball that is by default a middle click. Oh, and the roller can go left or right for two more buttons.

> Customizable without arrogance: If you are at all like me, you have a keyboard layout that you use in most MMO style games you play, another for RTS style games, another for FPS style games, etc. That is to say, you might expect your primary button to be the 2 key in an MMO, the core part of your rotation you keep coming back to, and you might expect to chord a bunch of keys with your left hand (alt+Q, for you, for instance), while in another game you might not be interested in any chording, and might make use of ctrl, shift, and alt as direct button presses. You may also have a game that believes every click is independent- push the 1 key down and it reads the 1 and decides to act on it, or a game where each click can be clever- hold 1 is different than tap 1, and if you press 1 and 2 together something else happens (VERY few PC games do the key combos, because some keyboards have problem reporting keydown events in this situation). As such, you likely have a set of keys mapped that would be incomprehensible to your brother or wife, at least intuitively. This mouse lets you just sort of map them how you want. So, for instance, the GSF keys for many of the buttons are ones that might be silly on a keyboard. I just map the buttons to whatever I want on the keyboard OR the mouse (and the mouse gets the keys from what works right with my WoW/SWTOR/Wildstar/everything else setup). Net effect: whatever you want you sort of end up with.

> Good pointer sensitivity, and customizable per profile, AND on the fly. With the touch of a button you can go from a really zippy pointer to a really slow one, and each profile sets that individually with a really easy thing. You drag out one bar per sensitivity, and can have up to four, and then the DPI button cycles betwixt them. And again, this is specific per profile- one profile could not even have the DPI button (mapping it to something else, like the button 0, or Ctrl), and another could have two to switch between, and another four.

I seriously, seriously, have not found a better mouse, and I really do look. That this mouse isn't being copied throughout the industry is a shame, and that Logitech isn't busy making a wireless version, an underwater version, a vibrating version, whatever, is a shock. I really feel most people are just ok with whatever mouse, but this one- which you can often fine refurbed on eBay for cheap, or goes on sale at Amazon sometimes- is an absolute standout to me.

What could be better:

> You can't map the "change profile" to a shifted button. This means, for me, that I don't use it, and have to go change profiles manually. I used to keep it on the hard-to-accidentally-hit G8 button (I think it defaults here), but I was still pressing it sometimes in raids and arena. Changing a profile doesn't make a sound or anything (it changes the lights on the mouse), so I would often take a few seconds to change it back, which requires pressing it twice. It would be nice to be able to switch to productivity mode easier when not gaming, without risking a bunch of vi commands coming up in an arena. The solution (which may or may not be something Logitech COULD fix, even if they wanted) would be to allow "Change Profile" to exist as a G-shift option (say, Gshift+G8 would NEVER happen by accident), without also changing the unshifted version.

> You can't customize the button color beyond what I described. It would be really cool to have each button be a different color, or some pattern.

> The laser is very good but not PERFECT. If you are a serious queen for the precisest laser, a straight FPS offering from Razer (or Logitech), or some other top end company could suit you better. Again, I don't have an issue: I'm just saying if you have strong opinions based on this, consider it.

> Can't customize weight. This isn't a big deal for me because the mouse is almost the perfect weight for me, but I would have really liked some variable weights like the classy FPS mice have. If you have a strong preference you might not like that part (mouse is a bit on the heavy side, but is average).

> No way to "save profile to disk". If you have a profile you like on the mouse, you can't just write it to a disk file and load it later. This seems a software issue only, but as long as the gaming software has this limitation it can be a frustration.

> Poor support for multiple G600s. This is gonna sound silly, but the gaming software will be able to address multiple plugged in mice, but seems to get confused about who has what mapping. Only an issue if you have two G600s on the exact same box and wanted them set differently (I was trying to map my second one for work, but my first one being plugged in meant that I couldn't without first unplugging it). A minor annoyance, and one with the gaming software, not the mouse.

I have a Logitech G9x. Haven't assigned any keys for GSF, but I do maintain it at maximum DPI.

I used to use the G9x, by the way, and it has a very good laser, and a nice ability to customize the weighting. I ultimately wanted more buttons than it could offer. It's really a pure FPS mouse, and my only gripe besides the lack of buttons is that it's a bit on the smallish side, instead of arching up to fill your hand. Still, used it exclusively for over a year back in the day.

Some upsides of a many buttoned mouse:

(I'll use QWERTY keys for reference, but I don't touch that filthy format)

1- Can put directional controls on the mouse, freeing up VERY valuable keyboard space. In GSF, my roll left is A and my roll right is S, and in a ground game, that is strafe left and strafe right respectively (I don't map "turn" keys in WoW or SWTOR, as the mouse right click does that, and also "forward"). Meanwhile, my "down" key is mapped to the mouse, NOT my left hand, so I can backpeddle in a ground game easily enough. In the ground game, so much of your movement is on the mouse that it only makes sense to move the back button there too! Since in GSF that includes throttle commands, I just moved my "slow", "fast", "boost", and "toggle throttle" here.

2- Can map obscure stuff. I have my strafe-GSF buttons mapped to the bottom of my keyboard (Z,X,C,V), but also to some G-shifted buttons. My "camera at target" button is my G8 key, and I can G-shift to change power settings should I not want to press the F1-F4 buttons.

3- Really easy to make sure that "allied" buttons are close together, and "enemy" buttons are far apart. For example, it's no problem for me to wiggle between "go slow" and "toggle throttle", allowing me to do with absolute ease what is kind of click-tappity for a straight keyboard / flatmouse sort of thing. There's no way I could APM that kind of stuff out normally. Meanwhile, I'll never need to press the "kill throttle" at the same time as "boost", so those don't need to be adjacent. You have very few allied keys under your left hand that you already don't use (even fewer if you are a WASD guy, as WASD being mapped leaves you with ER, Q1, 12, and that's about it for the easy ones), and this adds plenty to your mouse.

So I've ordered what I'm going to use as a replacement. While it hasn't been mentioned here, it is the successor to some of what was mentioned, and that mouse is the Logitech G502 Proteus Core.

I'm honestly more of an FPS player, and while you made a great compelling argument Verain, the G600 isn't quite what I was looking for. Too many buttons that wouldn't get any use from me. The G520 doesn't have any acceleration or prediction on the sensor is another big selling point for me.

I'll let y'all know how it works out in the end.

I'm telling you, you totally would though. It's super easy to use them!

However, that mouse is a hardcore FPS mouse, and definitely has some things the G600 doesn't. Among them:

> Macroable keys (presumably a series of keys instead of just direct mapping). That is a pretty big deal.

> Variable weight

> I think a better sensor by a bit

When I see something like that, I wonder "why not have the 12 key grid in all that EMPTY SPACE on the left"?

Razer Naga Epic 2014. Best mouse I've ever owned (though I seldom use the side buttons). Wired mode only - I think 1500 is the sensitivity, but only for GSs. I have a second mode for scouts which is 1300 I believe (configs in Razer Synapse which is surprisingly useful, but requires shutdown everytime I want to make my 3 individual 1920x1080 screens and turn them into 1 awesome 5760x1080 screen Still, unreal mouse, with customizable grips.

A4tech Oscar X710 Extra Fire (or something like this). Not the best mouse judging by technology but has a good shape for my hand. Works fine for me.

I'm telling you, you totally would though. It's super easy to use them!

> Macroable keys (presumably a series of keys instead of just direct mapping). That is a pretty big deal.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6459160 - if one press of mouse keys will get more than one key strike, it can be a violation of ToS...

(and yes, I know that is stupid).

Edited by Bolo_Yeung