The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Scam/Not a Scam debate storyline

LyraineAlei

Yeh, right. I lose 50 million to scammers, cs puts me on hold for a week and then, at the end, i get threats about getting banned if I will persist asking for help in this issue. Please, Eric. :l

50 million? As in

or should it be

??

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good god... the crazies actually managed to get the devs to put out a response over this utter non-issue :eek:

meanwhile, actual issues remain unanswered.

Not that I blame Musco. He's doing his job.

Some people in this community seem unable to do anything without someone holding their hand.

Thank you Mr Musco. Here are the suggestions so far...I see them as QoL changes that would be nice to have. If you see any you think might be relevant and wish to pass them on, I appreciate it.

1) The ability to ignore a character name on the GTN, so the items sold by that character are not shown in searches.

2) The ability to place a red flag on sellers you do not like, green flag on ones you prefer, and a sort function to move red flags to the bottom of a search, green flags to the top. Only you would see the flags you apply.

3) Remove the ability for the system to display fractional currency.

4) Have the formatting right justified instead of left justified.

5) Have the ignore list also apply to the GTN.

6) Change total price to price per unit, or just add a price per unit option for posting items for sale.

Any of them would be welcome changes IMO.

I would personally love to see the ability to price per unit when placing a sale, and having a flag system so I could flag sellers based on how I rate them...for my eyes only. The flag with a sort function would be very convenient.

I think these are all amazing ideas (though I'd consider flags less useful than all the other ideas you suggested, personally).

This would be a great QoL change in general, regardless of whether or not BW chooses to do anything to "fix" this "issue."

I agree. I would love to have that option. Would make it far easier to judge the price I am posting at compared to others on the market. Right now I have to do math which hurts my brain tissue......lol

Hey folks,

For us, it would be impossible to tell if a user was posting an item at a higher value to try to "scam" another user, or simply because that is what they want to sell it for.

-eric

Rubbish. At least be honest in your response. What you really mean to say is that the guys at Bioware can't be bothered allocating resources to police the issue.

I think these are all amazing ideas (though I'd consider flags less useful than all the other ideas you suggested, personally).

Fair enough. Certainly they are not required or "needed" changes, but some of them would be nice.

I just included all of them I have seen in the multiple threads for the sake of disclosure. I personally support the flag and "price per unit" posting method myself, but the flag is less important.

Yeh, right. I lose 50 million (3 months of work! LOL) to scammers, cs puts me on hold for a week and then, at the end, i get threats about getting banned if I will persist asking for help in this issue. Please, Eric. :l

One, would... would.... and again.. would, guess there that's something wrong with a type of mat listed at 50 mills ( even a stack of MMGs).

Then again, considering what's going on, this has become one BIg " would ".... dayum.

As has been suggested by others (most recently LordArtemis), it would be great if sellers could be allowed to input a price-per-unit that they wish to sell their goods at. This price could then be rounded to the nearest whole number when the items are actually made available for sale.

Displaying fractional currency does not provide accurate data. No more than claiming displaying the whole price and standing against the adoption of price per unit is a fight for accurate data display.

The argument is just as ridiculous now as it was then. You are still presented with accurate data. Fractional currency is not used by the game or the player. It's display is not required for ANY reason.

Sure it does. I can list a group of 3 items for 14k credits. Thats results in a price per unit of 4666.666... credits which is shown as 4666.67 credits. Removing the fractional price would necessitate either:

-forcing sellers to list a per unit value (severely limiting the ability to give bulk discounts and causing undercutting to become more severe)

-rounding up or rounding down the per unit value providing a less accurate display (especially over larger volume sales)

-removing the display of price per unit alltogether which is horrible and makes bargain hunting harder

People need to just learn how to read properly and to sort the price by lowest first (or price per unit b y lowest first).

50 million credits. That's how much I lost and got no aid. :l

Regarding gtn thing - it's stupid to use the decimals if we can't even see them in our inventory.

You in the market for a bridge by any chance? I happen to have one for sale. PM me.

It's the correct answer. Player stupidity is not something bioware can fix.

Buyer OR seller foolishness to be accurate. But essentially this is correct.

I told you people nothing would be done and it's not a scam.

With that in mind, I am going to pass these issues back to the dev team and see if there is anything we can work towards in the future for the GTN to help alleviate these issues. Thanks everyone!

-eric

Your right Reno, it's not a scam, but your not correct in the contention that nothing will be done. EM clearly states that he will pass it on to see if something can be done. So there is a chance some change can be made.

Edited by LordArtemis

Its a good QoL improvement if sellers had the option of inputting a price per unit, as long as it is not mandatory to only use price per unit.

I agree. I think it would be the best change of the entire list, and would improve the GTN. Not a required change, nor would it protect buyers or sellers, but it would be convenient.

Hey folks,

There has been a lot of chatter this weekend in General Discussion around how players are posting on the GTN, specifically around use of decimals/commas, and whether we feel it is an exploit or not. For starters, we definitely don't want to see any players scammed out of their hard earned credits and we will work to stop those situations wherever possible. Unfortunately, this is not one of those scenarios.

What someone is doing in this scenario is posting something at a higher value than the market would typically have that item listed for. For us, it would be impossible to tell if a user was posting an item at a higher value to try to "scam" another user, or simply because that is what they want to sell it for.

When purchasing items on the GTN, aside from the initial sorting and purchase we also have a secondary window pop-up as confirmation of sale. If you feel you are at risk of buying something off of the GTN at an intended value, take your time! Make sure to read over exactly what they are selling it for and then double check that number when you receive the pop-up. Also, we highly recommend using the sorting functions for both total and unit prices to make sure you are paying what you want.

With that in mind, I am going to pass these issues back to the dev team and see if there is anything we can work towards in the future for the GTN to help alleviate these issues. Thanks everyone!

-eric

The End.....

Edited by ImmortalLowlife

Your right Reno, it's not a scam, but your not correct in the contention that nothing will be done. EM clearly states that he will pass it on to see if something can be done. So there is a chance some change can be made.

And if they're going to make a change, it would be nice if it was a change that could benefit a lot of people--not just the folks who...*cough*....seem to have difficulty paying attention.

WOW! its perfectly okay for pvpers to trick/trap/exploit people into flagging so that they can gank them, but people paying the price for their own carelessness or stupidity on the GTN is a big no-no and the devs need to fix the UI? :rolleyes:

Yup! The UI I have no control over - it is what it is. Sloppy playing and not paying attention to the target is totally on the player. Also...a mistake that flags me for PvP doesn't end up costing me millions of credits...just a few minutes.

Edited by TUXs

A response that destroys their argument and finally ends a pointless debate, and in the end the devs response was the same as most of the rest,

PAY ATTENTION.

I'd like to point out that nowhere did they comment on whether or not these were scams. They said that they would be unable to tell the difference, or in other terms a waste of CS time, not that none are scams.