L2p versus Hax versus Exploits...the difference

Coolhandmik

You dont have to record, in fact BW has stated that video evidence will not be accepted, as its too difficult to verify the authenticity.

It looks like they will most likely flag the players account to spot evidence of improper game mechanics happening. Im not sure how they monitor record or observe, or how they determine if someone is exploiting, or even their metrics for banning people when they do find people exploiting.

Most of the hacks brought up in the past couple days though revolve solely around a characters ability to move, and from the video evidence so far, it seems to have the major drawback of severly limiting the offenders ability to perform actions, as all the offenders are being destroyed by other players.

Edited by Haystak

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shadowlands

Really? I've PvP'd extensively on Shadowlands for 6 months now and have only seen a handful of exploits, and no clear cut hacks. And most of the exploits were in the lowbie and midbie brackets. Maybe people know I record most of my matches.

Edited by Vodrin

Not saying they don't exist I've just never witnessed hacking, at least not on European servers.

I see from time to time an hax on the Red Eclipse, like a Guardian vanishing & reapperaring 10 seconds later, or a sorcerer doing a SABER throw.

The good thing is, once I see something like that, I send a ticket to BW with lots of details (time, place, what, when, player's name & class, server) a few weeks later, I never see those cheaters ever again in WZs.

Life is good gentlemen, life is good.

Edited by yoomazir

I see from time to time an hax on the Red Eclipse, like a Guardian vanishing & reapperaring 10 seconds later, or a sorcerer doing a SABER throw.

The good thing is, once I see something like that, I send a ticket to BW with lots of details (time, place, what, when, player's name & class, server) a few weeks later, I never see those cheaters ever again in WZs.

Life is good gentlemen, life is good.

Really? That's my main server. Never seen any of that and I've played on it since nightmare lands merged. The occasional lag spike maybe but nothing else you describe.

Never seen a sorc use saber throw, but the stance for jugs (how they hold their saber by their side) is like a sages, are you sure it's not a jug doing this? Seriously I have never witnessed this in my entire time playing this game.

Hacks are very rare imo but reading through this forum lately you would be getting the impression that they are widespread and i honestly think people are getting carried away with these accusations. I am not seeing the issues many that complain about on tre - I play quite a bit at different hours of the day. I think if hacking was so widespread those players names would be dirt amongst the people on the server.

In my honest opinion hacks are very rare, if it was abundant as some claim there would be more evidence other than anecdotal or confirmation bias. There will be a few exploits though - more common than had I would say, there will be a few that need ironing out but hax being widespread - I don't believe it.

Maybe because your reporting these players bioware are responding and getting rid of them? Maybe that explains why I'm not seeing anything suspicious. But genuinely I haven't seen anything on that server I could not explain.

Edited by PloGreen

Really? That's my main server. Never seen any of that and I've played on it since nightmare lands merged. The occasional lag spike maybe but nothing else you describe.

Never seen a sorc use saber throw, but the stance for jugs (how they hold their saber by their side) is like a sages, are you sure it's not a jug doing this? Seriously I have never witnessed this in my entire time playing this game.

Most likely it is a Jug/Guardian wearing gear that makes them look like a Sorc/Sage and not noticed right away. Amazing how many time people say they see something over and over and over yet they can never seem to get any video proof.

Edited by HelinCarnate

You dont have to record, in fact BW has stated that video evidence will not be accepted, as its too difficult to verify the authenticity.

It looks like they will most likely flag the players account to spot evidence of improper game mechanics happening. Im not sure how they monitor record or observe, or how they determine if someone is exploiting, or even their metrics for banning people when they do find people exploiting.

Most of the hacks brought up in the past couple days though revolve solely around a characters ability to move, and from the video evidence so far, it seems to have the major drawback of severly limiting the offenders ability to perform actions, as all the offenders are being destroyed by other players.

While it is true that you don't have to record it for BW, you do if you want to have people here believe what you say. Far too many things have been claimed that can be explained away with game mechanics or lag (don't get me started on the issues with the original huttball map when people change from one height to another).

While it is true that you don't have to record it for BW, you do if you want to have people here believe what you say. Far too many things have been claimed that can be explained away with game mechanics or lag (don't get me started on the issues with the original huttball map when people change from one height to another).

To people who comment like this, I don't understand you. I really don't. I need to provide a recording so YOU believe me? Why is it that there are so many people who claim there is no hacking in this game? And you don't just say there is no hacking. You say "since I haven't seen it, it isn't real" and people don't know what they are talking about, like you are the only authority on all things SWTOR. If I tried to record on my computer, while playing the game, my computer would cough and die. Not to mention it happens at the moment. How the heck am I going to go back and try and record something after it happens. I am not going to sit there and hope someone hacks and record everything, just so you believe me.

On my server, JC, there are certain guilds and players that hack every day. Not sometimes. ALL THE TIME. They are reported. Sometimes they are not seen again. But they do it. If you get bored one day, come to JC. Play some PVP. Wait a bit and watch. You will get to pvp certain guilds and players and they will prove to you that hacks are real.

If you "suspect" someone is hacking, report them. Crying on these forums is utterly pointless. If the suspected account is still in use after 2 - 3 weeks time then the chances are you were mistaken. Contrary to popular belief, Bioware does in fact ban accounts who are abusing the system. I reported a credit farming bot last week. That account was banned shortly thereafter. Edited by JackNader

To people who comment like this, I don't understand you. I really don't. I need to provide a recording so YOU believe me? Why is it that there are so many people who claim there is no hacking in this game? And you don't just say there is no hacking. You say "since I haven't seen it, it isn't real" and people don't know what they are talking about, like you are the only authority on all things SWTOR. If I tried to record on my computer, while playing the game, my computer would cough and die. Not to mention it happens at the moment. How the heck am I going to go back and try and record something after it happens. I am not going to sit there and hope someone hacks and record everything, just so you believe me.

On my server, JC, there are certain guilds and players that hack every day. Not sometimes. ALL THE TIME. They are reported. Sometimes they are not seen again. But they do it. If you get bored one day, come to JC. Play some PVP. Wait a bit and watch. You will get to pvp certain guilds and players and they will prove to you that hacks are real.

No, you don't need to provide any proof unless you want others to believe you. If I said that every day I see hacking going on but I have no witnesses to back up my story and no evidence other than my word would you believe me? You have no idea who I am other than some random dude on a forum so I sure wouldn't expect you to.

What time of day are these guilds on and what level of PvP and ranked or unranked? JC is my home and while I have seen things that are suspect, I have seen nothing that I would say would be proof that someone is hacking. I am not saying hacks don't exsist, only that they are not nearly as wide spread as some people seem to believe.

To people who comment like this, I don't understand you. I really don't. I need to provide a recording so YOU believe me?

Surprising isn't it? Yesterday, I told everyone I saw bigfoot in bed with bill gates and for some reason no one believed me. They wanted proof??? the fools!!!!!!

Why is it that there are so many people who claim there is no hacking in this game?

No one said that, and those that did mostly said it as a joke. However most of the hacking accusations are honestly either just misconceptions or lag.

And you don't just say there is no hacking. You say "since I haven't seen it, it isn't real" and people don't know what they are talking about, like you are the only authority on all things SWTOR.

Most of us have seen hacks at least once or twice. But the accusations are borderline ridiculous. Many of the claims here or in game are just misconceptions or lag. It happened to me, it happened to people who's streams I watched, and it happened to people who I know do not hack. When people lose they do not want to accept the fact that they were just outplayed and like to make up excuses. Claiming hack is the easiest one.

If I tried to record on my computer, while playing the game, my computer would cough and die. Not to mention it happens at the moment. How the heck am I going to go back and try and record something after it happens. I am not going to sit there and hope someone hacks and record everything, just so you believe me.

Well that is your problem isn't it. The burden of proof is always on the accuser, not the accused. Innocent until proven guilty.

Well if it happens "all the time" then record it with a cell phone and show us (as well as BW). The hackers might get banned and you will be a celebrated hero for making your server a little bit better. Coming here and whining about it does nothing more but make you look like a bad player who doesn't want to accept that he is bad.

And just an fyi, I have seen hacks a few times. One specific one that comes to mind is a sorc speed hacking (and still getting killed by me). No he wasn't using force speed (I main a sorc I know what it looks like) and there was no one around him to use predation. He was running too fast for predation anyway. I never saw that player again. Another is from a video where a merc kept healing via out of combat healing, even while people were attacking him. I was grouped with him and against him a little afterwards and I saw him do it. Another was when someone finished planting a bomb on VS right as we jumped down.

So yes, it does happen, but it is very rare and most of the players who do it, magically disappear and never come back for some reason.

Edited by sithBracer

You may want to add another hack.

Saber Reflect Hack: Saber Reflect can normally reflect anything but Melee damage, but just recently i had a Focus Guardian reflect a Low Slash (Sin Stun skill, not to be confused with Crippling Slash/Leg Slash for the Marauder/Sentinel which is a slow and not a stun) and the stun never got off (the skill itself is a Melee attack and the Debuff is Physical)

Unless Saber Reflect had a change and the tooltip hasnt been fixed, or Low Slash was changed to be Force Damage and hasnt had it's Damage tick and tooltip fixed to reflect this change, it's a hack (also the entire rest of my team was Ranged DPS so he couldnt have broken immideately due to Damage)

Saber Reflect Hack: Saber Reflect can normally reflect anything but Melee damage, but just recently i had a Focus Guardian reflect a Low Slash (Sin Stun skill, not to be confused with Crippling Slash/Leg Slash for the Marauder/Sentinel which is a slow and not a stun) and the stun never got off (the skill itself is a Melee attack and the Debuff is Physical)

Unless Saber Reflect had a change and the tooltip hasnt been fixed, or Low Slash was changed to be Force Damage and hasnt had it's Damage tick and tooltip fixed to reflect this change, it's a hack (also the entire rest of my team was Ranged DPS so he couldnt have broken immideately due to Damage)

Low slash should not be affected by Saber reflect, but I think a ranged, tech, or force attack on a target affected by it will still break the stun if the attack is reflected. I've seen this seem to happen before with my shadow. We should see if there is something buggy that can happen with reflect and Low slash before we relegate this to being a hack. We all know this game is not entirely bug free.

This actually happened to me a few times it has been happening more often recently. I have a theory but it might be wrong so please correct me.

So I tried to shock a jugg and it reflected, so I immediately switched to VS and still saw the "reflected" text. This happened to me before but it happened more often now. It is possible that the shadow technique damage is being reflected while my damage seemed to be going through. It could be the damage that you saw reflected was the shadow technique damage. As for why he wasn't stunned, he could've been hit by someone else or have been white barred.

I know shadow technique is internal damage, can it be reflected?

Low slash should not be affected by Saber reflect, but I think a ranged, tech, or force attack on a target affected by it will still break the stun if the attack is reflected. I've seen this seem to happen before with my shadow. We should see if there is something buggy that can happen with reflect and Low slash before we relegate this to being a hack. We all know this game is not entirely bug free.

Or he simply missed.

Saber reflect will animate and read reflect if a melee hit strikes them but its not actually reflecting damage. Its obviously a bug. I noticed it a lot on carnage but I watched my hp and wasn't taking any damage. I've also noticed it when I played my jugg when marauders are hitting me and it animates reflect but they are not taking damage (I am still getting damage even though it says reflected). I don't recall it doing that a few months ago so I assume its just a bug.

Edited by Raansu

A keyboard turner called me a hacker for using my mouse to turn. Which makes your character turn quickly.

Only seen one hack that I know of forsure, some sin planted on voidstar acouple seconds after second round started.

to be fair, I think this was more exploit than hack, an assasin/shadow using their teleport at the beginning of rnd 2, if planted in the right spot in rnd 1

an exploit ive seen, or maybe it's a glitch, is seeing a scoundrel roll up to a platform. More than likely not a hack, just a game pathing glitch.

One where I question hacks is seeing a maurader do 2 30m+ leaps in a row. first oen is easlity jumping then leaping, stunning me, then jumping back pretty much instantaneously to do the same on the other side of the area. Their 2nd leap doesn't go near the 30m. Not claiming hacks, just not sure how else it could be done.

Edited by Anyakaschala

to be fair, I think this was more exploit than hack, an assasin/shadow using their teleport at the beginning of rnd 2, if planted in the right spot in rnd 1

an exploit ive seen, or maybe it's a glitch, is seeing a scoundrel roll up to a platform. More than likely not a hack, just a game pathing glitch.

One where I question hacks is seeing a maurader do 2 30m+ leaps in a row. first oen is easlity jumping then leaping, stunning me, then jumping back pretty much instantaneously to do the same on the other side of the area. Their 2nd leap doesn't go near the 30m. Not claiming hacks, just not sure how else it could be done.

Rage spec has two leaps....

This thread is funny. Especially the references to Shadowlands.

1) I hear hackusations in Warzones on a weekly basis on that server in PvP. Sometimes more.

2) There are some terribly bad players on Shadowlands.

These two statements are not unrelated.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been personally accused of hacking. Most of the regular good PvPers I know have similar experiences. I haven't seen a bona fide hack in a warzone in over a 6 months, and exploits only very rarely (they usually get patched eventually, like the combat-usable regen items).

Despite this, I'll hear more people crying hacks in the next day or two *guaranteed* and will probably be accused myself again in a week or so. Cry wolf more.

Edited by Jherad