If you don't want to turn capital ships back on, I have an alternative...

siegeshot

If you don't want to turn capital ships back on death match and power overcharge is "fine as-is", I have an alternative...

Let me make 12 man premades... I'll solve the spawn camping problem for my team. You know. Since "anything's fair" and "I should just adapt" let me make a 12 man premade and I'll adapt just fine. Then they can cry about whatever they want and I can just tell them they should adapt.

Okay. Sound good?

Thanks.

Edited by siegeshot

If you don't want to turn capital ships back on death match and power overcharge is "fine as-is", I have an alternative...

Let me make 12 man premades... I'll solve the spawn camping problem for my team. You know. Since "anything's fair" and "I should just adapt" let me make a 12 man premade and I'll adapt just fine. Then they can cry about whatever they want and I can just tell them they should adapt.

Okay. Sound good?

Thanks.

This is what you should be doing? It's a TEAM game

This is what you should be doing? It's a TEAM game

Are people still pretending this is true? It's a game played by a team of solo players. There's a difference.

There isn't a single thing a solo player can't accomplish alone in this game. You and I are proof of that. That's not a team game.

Err... I mean, there's plenty you can't do solo. It is absolutely a team game, and OP seems mostly sad that his team is getting beat by another team.

The game definitely has a lot of solo to it, but the power of being in a coordinated group is undeniably and obviously by design.

If you are getting spawn camped your team is already so outmatched that the other team has nothing better to do then wait for your re-spawns. Turning capital ships back on doesn't do anything at the point accept make the side that lost have to play even longer for their loss.

I think the OP forgets that there are multiple spawn points. You only get spawn camped if you allow yourself to be, it takes literally one click to change where you zone in. IMO it is very unlikely that any team will camp all three spawn points at once.

BTW doesn't the spawn point change automatically now? So whats the issue here>

Also just as a side note, powerups have allowed me (when solo) to really harass an enemy premade. In fact it gives me the chance to wipe their whole preform if I don't get killed first. So how would removing powerups help solo's? It wouldn't it would remove additional options for fighting said premade.... but go on and run with that and see how it turns out.

*Note* If your pissy about a bad match you should stop and breath first before posting, your OP is dripping with crappy attitude and nobody here responds well to that.

BTW doesn't the spawn point change automatically now? So whats the issue here>

I think this is only sometimes true. I'm not positive about this, but is "seems" like the spawn point is random unless I've actually chosen one in the match, and then it defaults to the one I chose. It could very well be Math.random() trolling me (there are only 3 starting spawns max, and I've never seen it choose a hyperspace beacon for me after a death), but it's felt to me like it's random until you show a preference for a spot in that match.

The spawn point is random. BW has said so explicitly in patch notes.

Actually, it stops being random if at any point in time you select a spawn point. From there forward you will spawn exclusively from that point for the match unless you select otherwise. It's very likely that a new player won't be aware of this mechanism.

If you are getting spawn camped your team is already so outmatched that the other team has nothing better to do then wait for your re-spawns. Turning capital ships back on doesn't do anything at the point accept make the side that lost have to play even longer for their loss.

If the outcome is inevitable, then allowing the likely new players the ability to safely spawn is by far much better than killing them sequentially within moments of spawning. As it has been stated in other places, there is a desire to broaden the population of players in GSF and since we often fail to police ourselves when it comes to matches that are outright slaughters, there needs to be some sort of mechanism installed to give new pilots an opportunity.

Getting slaughtered is hardly fun and likely far more memorable (in a bad way) for new players than it is for those doing the slaughtering.

So... these threads will continue to pop up because there is a valid point behind them and while simply turning on the turrets may not be the solution we seek, dismissing the issue with statements similar to the one quoted above is in my opinion far more detrimental given we lack proper training tutorials and match-making.

Edited by RatPoison

Hm. I've never seen this kind of spawn-camping happen on Jung Ma. In many hundreds of matches. Never seen it.

Maybe this sort of thing is a by-product of being on a super-populated server with uber1337 guilds/players on it, and is just going to happen in any system with random matchmaking by queue. Your best bet, honestly, is to go and eat a sandwich, or otherwise do something else, and hope you get a more even matchup next time.

Now, another alternative to capital ship cannons, for those teams that find they tend to overmatch the poor saps who got a random queue-pop against them, would be for them to be able to challenge other 1337 groups to a pre-arranged match.

I'm opposed to turning on the capital ship turrets. I am a scout pilot. If the turrets were on, it would be simple for me to hide out where they protect me, and only leave that safe zone long enough to shoot down a stray enemy ship, or to lure them into chasing me too close to my capital ship...

Changing spawn points are not always an option. Sometimes you are just so ridiculously far outclassed ship wise that they can indeed cover all 3 spawns.

Go on a new character and get one of those really fun matches where its you and 8 or so other new people vs an entire team of gunships and flashfires... it just doesn't work.

The issue you describe is not a problem with gunships, or new characters. If you're being held to spawn at three nodes, your team is vastly weaker than the other- so much so that they are just food, and will get eaten no matter where the spawn happens.

Hm. I've never seen this kind of spawn-camping happen on Jung Ma. In many hundreds of matches. Never seen it.

Maybe this sort of thing is a by-product of being on a super-populated server with uber1337 guilds/players on it, and is just going to happen in any system with random matchmaking by queue. Your best bet, honestly, is to go and eat a sandwich, or otherwise do something else, and hope you get a more even matchup next time.

Now, another alternative to capital ship cannons, for those teams that find they tend to overmatch the poor saps who got a random queue-pop against them, would be for them to be able to challenge other 1337 groups to a pre-arranged match.

I'm opposed to turning on the capital ship turrets. I am a scout pilot. If the turrets were on, it would be simple for me to hide out where they protect me, and only leave that safe zone long enough to shoot down a stray enemy ship, or to lure them into chasing me too close to my capital ship...

Oh I have seen it happen multiple times the past week (always late at night too) the other team will hop on gunships line up and fire on the players as they spawn

Oh I have seen it happen multiple times the past week (always late at night too) the other team will hop on gunships line up and fire on the players as they spawn

Gunships really aren't as hard to deal with as everyone seems to think... That being said, my Blackbolt is intended specifically to down satellite defense turrets, gunships, and bombers. They do present unique problems.

Also, I saw spawn camping last night. It was just the luck of the draw. Somehow, a match was made between a team of fairly experienced and skilled Imperial pilots against what appeared to be a team of entirely free-to-play or at least very new Republic pilots. It was a massacre. We won by three cap, the other team was largely restricted to spawn points... all with me doing nothing the entire match. I would have felt like a bully if I had shot at the enemy once I realized their ship composition wasn't a trick and didn't seem intentional, like a guild stock night or something...

I think somehow Verain jinxed them:

The issue you describe is not a problem with gunships, or new characters. If you're being held to spawn at three nodes, your team is vastly weaker than the other- so much so that they are just food, and will get eaten no matter where the spawn happens.
Edited by Ymris

I agree with that, however offering some protection at the spawn will at least give them a chance to get out of the gates. Once you are that well camped even a decent pilot doesn't stand much of a chance, you spawn and are immediately hit by a gs, and then locked on with missiles by 3 different ships... You can pull whatever you want to get out of that mess but it wont take long before you are dust.

I agree with that, however offering some protection at the spawn will at least give them a chance to get out of the gates.

I try to do that. I frequently see individuals trying to spawn-camp other individuals, and I punish them dearly for the transgression. Unless the entire team is being camped, it's up to fellow teammates to provide that protection...

But don't do it because I said so, do it because it's just the right thing to do!

Now, if it's my own team-mate doing it, I will politely suggest that they stop, and move on to other targets for a while. If they continue, I /ignore. ...I assume that /ignore works for GSF matchmaking, same as it does for flashpoints...?

I try to do that. I frequently see individuals trying to spawn-camp other individuals, and I punish them dearly for the transgression. Unless the entire team is being camped, it's up to fellow teammates to provide that protection...

But don't do it because I said so, do it because it's just the right thing to do!

Now, if it's my own team-mate doing it, I will politely suggest that they stop, and move on to other targets for a while. If they continue, I /ignore. ...I assume that /ignore works for GSF matchmaking, same as it does for flashpoints...?

/ignore, so far as I can tell, does jack all in gsf.

Meh...??!??

Those so called "matches" shouldn't even start.

This is a mess of the starfighter gf (or whatever you call it) 'cause it is simply not thought to rank anything, just group up random available players to figure out to start a match not even taking care of the factions.

Once my team won a run with 50 to 10 kills in about 6 mins. The most boring thing I've ever take part in.

The other time around (in an occasional solo match) my team lost 12 to 50 in about 5 mins.

Apart for the sarcastic laughs in both cases there was no fun at all for anybody nor in easy wins, nor in quick losses with people scoring 15+ kills and others that barely managed to push their FWD buttons. This sadly happens more and more frequently lately with ppl running for the conquest points.

Camping in spawn points shouldn't be let and I still can't tell why they removed the battleships' fire: running back to base is the obvious solution to every damaged fighter and if you don't move from there you just won't get any score.

So what we need is just a better grouping-up engine.

If a Group enlists in a fight then the engine should search for a Group enlisting in the opposite team; having well coordinated enlisting groups facing solo-enlisting players is just ridicoulous.

The engine should match the equipment: it's not really funny when your team has 5 or more players with 5 ships and the opposing one just people owning 2 ships: in most cases having more ships means also having the hard-rock equipment on them.

The engine should balance ships: ships could be choosen only before the match starts, even when you queue-up will be ok, letting the engine cap the ship-classes (i.e.: 2 GS, 2 bombers, 4, strikers, 4 scouts in a TDM 12-players run).

Rank the matches just like the WZs.

Just a few ideas, no more than that. I'm sure there are plenty of better ones and even more easily doable.

As it is now the whole starfighter thing is no fun at all for me. I can still use both the conquer and the starfighter points so I'll keep playing it but man... if my team keeps winning 50 to 10 using just the mouse+keyboard controls and nothing more please have something done fast or the thing will just fall to the worse nonsense silliness ever seen online.

Meh..?!??