Scammed on the GTN

xxZiriusxx

If you buyed something wrong.. Something you didn't want just delete the received mail with all attachments and get a refund of your credits!

I accidently bougth 6 times a resolve augment 22 instead of 28 for exactly the same price.. i just deleted the 6 mail messages without pulling out their attachments. Got fully refunded!

Man this would have been awesome; I think i already deleted mine when i was upset, but it would definitely been great. I knew with the one hour messages I got that there's a delay for stuff like this. Good to know, thanks.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else see the irony in a toon with that name making this complaint? But seriously, I think all real GTN players have made this mistake at one time or another. I sold a 10 mil mount for 100k by accident. And let me tell you, that sucker disappeared almost as quick as I hit the [Create Sale] button and was listed by the buyer before I even got my credits from the sale.

Reminds me of a guy on my server a long time ago who sold Revan's mask for 50 k creds.....

Now that had to hurt a little.

I'm wondering why is no one pointing out the obvious. sort by unit price, lowest first. this way, you get the lowest price per unit, always, no matter what tricks sellers might try to pull

of course you should also check total price and size of the stack, but sorting by unit price from low to high, allows you to get lowest cost overall

Yes, it's a scam. I'm very careful with these because of my experience avoiding scams in EVE (Charon-Carbon scam is probably most famous one and so boring).

It would have been a scam if the OP had been fooled or did NOT receive what he payed for.

That is not the case last I checked.

The OP got what he purchased, NOT what he had anticipated. Different things altogether and no, I'm not siding with the seller but rather pointing out stuff as it is.

Again, part in bold and underlined.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I'm wondering why is no one pointing out the obvious. sort by unit price, lowest first. this way, you get the lowest price per unit, always, no matter what tricks sellers might try to pull

of course you should also check total price and size of the stack, but sorting by unit price from low to high, allows you to get lowest cost overall

Nope, because the scam is based around doing that.

This is the scenario: true lowest is 313 credits per unit, highest is 313.545 credits per unit. If you click that sort button twice, you're going to get the high one first, which LOOKS like it's the cheapest.

It would have been a scam if the OP had been fooled or did NOT receive what he payed for.

That is not the case last I checked.

The OP got what he purchased, NOT what he had anticipated. Different things altogether and no, I'm not siding with the seller but rather pointing out stuff as it is.

Again, part in bold and underlined.

It's a scam. The buyer thought he was buying items for a different price, i.e. he was fooled. I'm not sure why people feel the need to pretend selling an item worth 333 credits for 333k credits is not a scam. Yes, it's on us to try NOT to get scammed, but just because we fall for it doesn't mean it's not a scam.

Scamming is sort of based around other people not paying close enough attention, so I'm not sure I see your point.

Edited by Beltane

It's a scam. The buyer thought he was buying items for a different price, i.e. he was fooled. I'm not sure why people feel the need to pretend selling an item worth 333 credits for 333k credits is not a scam. Yes, it's on us to try NOT to get scammed, but just because we fall for it doesn't mean it's not a scam.

As I said earlier: The buyer got what he purchased, NOT what he had anticipated given he misinterpreted the listing.

Different things.

Scamming is sort of based around other people not paying close enough attention, so I'm not sure I see your point.

It is also based around other people, namely the swindler omitting details which are key to the fraud or the scam.

Last I checked, such thing is NOT POSSIBLE(!) with the GTN.

The number of units being sold is listed together with the price per unit, not to mention the total price. How is that a scam, when there is full disclosure concerning the deal and no info whatsoever is being omitted?

Please explain.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I read this and laughed so hard my beer came out my nose.

Stupidity is not a scam. Cause and effect. OP wasn't paying attention = made mistake. Don't blame the seller, all fault lies with buyer. I too did this once, lesson learned the hard way.

Taking into account the stuff below, I guess it sure is.

Yeah, agreed...given the new info about the multiple sales, there's no way it was just an honest mistake.

Still, I'm sure simple listing errors like that do happen now and then. This wasn't one of those situations, though. Sorry, OP.

Edited by MaximilianPower

The buyer was given all information about the item and the cost.

If people listed items for what they were worth we wouldn't have CM items worth 3,000 listed for 2 million and being sold.

For whatever reason they were priced highly it is all on the buyer to read the screen.

If you are given a binding contract to sign and you don't read it but you sign it's not a scam. You're just an idiot.

Edited by Gyronamics

Nope, because the scam is based around doing that.

This is the scenario: true lowest is 313 credits per unit, highest is 313.545 credits per unit. If you click that sort button twice, you're going to get the high one first, which LOOKS like it's the cheapest.

if you are not noticing 3 extra numbers there? its a pebkac issue.

As I said earlier: The buyer got what he purchased, NOT what he had anticipated given he misinterpreted the listing.

Different things.

It is also based around other people, namely the swindler omitting details which are key to the fraud or the scam.

Last I checked, such thing is NOT POSSIBLE(!) with the GTN.

The number of units being sold is listed together with the price per unit, not to mention the total price. How is that a scam, when there is full disclosure concerning the deal and no info whatsoever is being omitted?

Please explain.

A pyramid scheme can be executed with full disclosure. Laws regarding transactions are a lot more complex than that in real life to avoid problems like this.

Specifically in regards to transactions where one party is paying an obviously excessive cost, even in situations with signed contracts, mistake of fact renders the contract void.

if you are not noticing 3 extra numbers there? its a pebkac issue.

The game allows decimal placement of credits, so 3 "extra" numbers would not at all be unusual. The difference is rather between a comma and a period.

Its commonplace in other parts of the world to reverse the convention of utilizing periods as decimal points and commas for thousands.

The game allows decimal placement of credits, so 3 "extra" numbers would not at all be unusual. The difference is rather between a comma and a period.

Its commonplace in other parts of the world to reverse the convention of utilizing periods as decimal points and commas for thousands.

pretty much this.

It can be easy to misinterpret a number when buying resources.

EA sets a bad precedent allowing people to abuse the GTN like this.

wait, what? there is not such thing as .5 or .25 or .313 of a credit in game. I am perfectly aware of the comma vs period difference, given that its something I had to relearn myself, however in a system where decimals don't exist, I would say that little dot like sigh can only mean one thing.

however, just to verify your statements, I have just tried to list something using decimals. and. nope. I'm not allowed to use any punctuation at all when listing items. the game adds it after the fact and its always a comma. so... whenever you see a smallish dotlike thing there? that's not decimals.

so I reiterate. this is a pebkac issue. hopefuly, it will also be a learning experience to pay attention.

I do think most if not all of us made errors. but our personal errors are not responsibility of the person who benefited from our not paying attention. and I'm saying that as someone who just accidentally spent a million on a decoration I neither needed, nor wanted, becasue I was half asleep and thought it was something else.

live and learn and take personal responsibility instead of complaining about scams

Edited by Jeweledleah

pretty much this.

It can be easy to misinterpret a number when buying resources.

EA sets a bad precedent allowing people to abuse the GTN like this.

You'd think that it wouldn't be hard to code the GTN to fix the radix point (decimal or comma) so that big numbers always look bigger. You'd be right.

where the hell are you all getting decimals in GTN? are we even playing the same game?

Put three items up for 100k (total, not per), look at the unit price, then come back.

Edited by KTap

Put three items up for 100k (total, not per), look at the unit price, then come back.

ok. I see your point about decimals. however... there are still extra numbers in total price. or do you not look at number of items in a stack as well as price per stack?

becasue if the answer is not - it is STILL a buyer issue.

pay.

attention

and learn from your mistakes.

ok. I see your point about decimals. however... there are still extra numbers in total price. or do you not look at number of items in a stack as well as price per stack?

becasue if the answer is not - it is STILL a buyer issue.

pay.

attention

and learn from your mistakes.

We've established that it's up to the buyer.

I was merely pointing out that there are indeed decimals, and the can look very similar to a lower number if you are distracted. Example: 1,039,139 per vs 1,039.139 per if you're only looking at unit price, which I know I'm guilty of.

Sometimes the sorting button reverses which it sorts first and you get the most expensive when you're expecting the least expensive.

It's now common practice on The Harbinger to do this on almost any mat on the gtn. People wouldn't do it if it didn't work :p

Hmmmmm.. Doubtful, not to mention I'm not sure that "scam" is the right word.

Oh, I think it's the right word all right. I've noticed there is a rash of people posting crafting mats lately for weird amounts that are easy for people to get confused, and take all their money.

It sucks what happened to the OP, and I realize that it's up to our own selves to protect ourselves, but there are definitely people out there doing their dandiest best to scam people out of their money.

Oh, I think it's the right word all right. I've noticed there is a rash of people posting crafting mats lately for weird amounts that are easy for people to get confused, and take all their money.

It sucks what happened to the OP, and I realize that it's up to our own selves to protect ourselves, but there are definitely people out there doing their dandiest best to scam people out of their money.

You being stupid and not paying attention does not mean that you were scammed.

Situation has been reported before several times (my report for a change: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=755304). And checking the two images in that thread, anyone with a brain can see that those sellings are not an accident neither honest.

Just to point something out that I mentioned somewhere in that thread (wasn't 100% certain on it at the time but I'm browsing the GTN right now and I'm pretty sure we can take it as fact):

If the unit price includes a decimal amount it will ALWAYS show it as 2 digits. It can't be 3 digits. If you're seeing a number and there's a separator followed by 2 digits, that's a decimal portion of the number. If you're seeing a number and there's a separator followed by 3 digits, that's the last 3 digits of a whole number. I'm not seeing any example on the GTN that contradicts this as I skim through hundreds of pages of scav, arch, and bio mats. Not one single example of a decimal amount shown in anything other than 2 digits.