situational awareness

Banderal

Ever wonder what "situational awareness" means? Probably not, but there's so many QQ threads clogging up these forums I decided to post this good (IMO) example anyway.

So I'm guarding snow solo on my sorc. We have mid also. The other team is still fighting, but we are doing well. Then I see this Sin teammate come speeding off of mid towards me. I'm like "***?", there's no one around here. What the frak is he doing? He gets about 1/2 way to me when I see 3 red emerge from under mid heading my way. I call the 3 inc, and together we hold em off until reinforcements arrive and they are dealt with.

A minute or so later, here he comes again. Sure enough, a second later from under mid here comes another 2 red (which soon mounted to 5). We beat them off.

Happens another 2 or 3 times. See the Sin headed my way? Must be some enemy broke off and are also on their way. Yup, here they come.

We won that game, and I never had to endure one of those "OMG, I'm almost dead. I can see my guys on their way... have... to... survive... long... enough..... CRAP!" moments. Help was on it's way before I even knew I needed it.

He got my MVP vote. :D

Edited by Banderal

Possibly some who tanked a lot. "situational awareness" is tank specific skill for some reason. Good tanks always have it, if they don't - they stop play as tanks and respec to dd. Edited by alexzk

i have the habit to switch to the offnode once my team caps mid, sometimes i just take a look and there's nothing to see, sometimes the enemy team is really reactive and i see inc already on their way.. i usually do the same if i play in a group and we loose mid..we try to do a quick as possible objective switch

I usually move between mid and offnode. You get to come in behind the attackers as well that way which is usually beneficial.

... and your neighbors didn't even help you!

Better find yourself a new neighborhood, yo.

inb4 "BUT, BUT, BUT How would they know he had had a heart attack??" - don't question it, ok? :p

Edited by ToMyMa

• 3 months later...
this type of situational awareness I call L2Math when its not there. It's simply a matter of knowing how many of you are still at mid versus how many of the enemy. There's 5 of you and three of the enemy? Know that the enemy is somewhere else and take a look at the off node, you dont even have to leave mid. Pro PvPers don't have to wait for an inc call to know that the enemy are probably mounting an offensive against off node.

this type of situational awareness I call L2Math

This. If you are more than 1.25x the local enemy, you are doing it wrong.

Also, L2ReadMaps would help. Left/right/snow/grass/other side are terrible calls.

Edited by vennian

this type of situational awareness I call L2Math when its not there. It's simply a matter of knowing how many of you are still at mid versus how many of the enemy. There's 5 of you and three of the enemy? Know that the enemy is somewhere else and take a look at the off node, you dont even have to leave mid. Pro PvPers don't have to wait for an inc call to know that the enemy are probably mounting an offensive against off node.

ABSOLUTELY... If you see 1-3 of their team getting attacked by the rest of yours... The first thing people should be asking is where the f*ck is the rest of their team... Usually heading to our other node... I am usually the first to disengage to head to the other node, no matter what class I am on...

A good tactic also is if their team is all dead and you aren't sure if they will jump to your other node or not (civil war), is to stand on the upper lvl near the wall and angle your screen over it so you can see your node, tunnel and their respawn... That way you won't get caught out all running to the off node when they reattack mid like sheep... This can work just as well in nova if you can see all your nodes... Same with defending Void Star... You see 4 of your guys on 1... You can bet the rest of them went to the other door... You don't need 4 to kill 1... The only time anyone should ever really need to call incs is if most of your team is dead...

Good pvpers learn situational awareness and never need to be told to where the enemy is headed...

If only more teams were like the OPs team... Pvp would be so much more fun and fluid