50 million credits for a Guild Ship? Why is it so much Bioware?

Nickious

I like to think of the guild ships as the equivalent to hard/nightmare mode operations. You're going to have to put in work for them. For operations it's a matter of gearing up your team and learning the tactics, for guild ships it's a matter of working together as a guild to gain the credits needed for one and to kit it out. And of course, you have your story mode guild strongholds for those who can't afford/don't want to pay for guild ships.

With that in mind, I'd say that 50 million is just reasonable. Would I complain if it was cheaper? Not at all but if it was less than 30 million then I'd say that it had been lowered too much.

And for the record, this is coming from someone in a medium sized (albeit dedicated) roleplaying guild. Roleplayers aren't exactly known for hoarding masses of credits but since guild ships were first announced we've had a small number of us putting in a small amount each week for this shiny new toy. I'm talking in the region of 200k-300k.

Now it's paying off. With a bit of focus I'd imagine other similarly sized guilds would be able to gain enough credits within a couple of months if everyone chipped in. In 30 minutes of running dailies I can net around 100k. Assuming that there are 10 people in a guild and everyone does it... say 5 times each week to put to credits in the guild bank, that's 5 million each week.

And really, if you don't want to put credits towards a guild ship because you think that the guild will collapse before the end of the year or you'll be the only one footing the bill then quite frankly I don't think your guild was the type the ships were aimed at. It might be a little harsh but that's my honest opinion there.

In short, while I'd prefer to see the price maybe 10 million lower (simply so my own guild could afford some of the unlocks right from the start :p ), I'm content with the current price. I definitely think that it's a reasonable goal for guilds to aim for too, even if it takes some time.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that hitting the players with strongholds and guild ships is going to be a major credit sink in August. Will this flood the market and lower prices as people try to get funds? Probably. Will this force more people into dailies so that smaller guilds can acquire a ship? Probably.

The price of 50 million may seem high, but as others have said if a guild wants one and/or a guild stronghold they will have to work together to get it.

Fifty million for a guild ship is attainable for just about any guild. I am a founder, 12 characters (only 5 at 55), non-guilded, non-raider, non-pvp, and I am sitting on about 20 million over the toons. This was made through dailies, occasional flash points, and crafting a lot of mid-tier gear and selling it for reasonable prices. I expect to spend a good portion of this on the personal stronghold, but if I need more credits I will go out an earn them. With a little effort I can get about 300,000 a week through dailies and sales. A guild with 15-20 people can do about 5 million a week. Yes that is 10 weeks, but it is doable.

Really? I know individual players that could pay for that. Twice.

Not me tho. lol

Missed my note. I know there are absurdly rich players that could pay for them by themselves. I can almost pay for one myself, just would take every cent I have, and wouldn't be worth me paying for all of it.

With a little effort I can get about 300,000 a week through dailies and sales.

Sounds low. Doing one each Black Hole, Section X, Czerka, Maked, GSI (on Makeb) and Oricon weekly should net you over 800K creds plus Basics to buy Iso-5 and some BoE drops to sell. Probably 1,000,000 credits total after selling stuff. Per toon, per week. Less than 6 hours per toon to do, I would estimate.

So a 50 toon (all 55's) guild could raise the money for a Flagship in a week just by running dailies.

And even more using gathering and crafting.

Missed my note. I know there are absurdly rich players that could pay for them by themselves. I can almost pay for one myself, just would take every cent I have, and wouldn't be worth me paying for all of it.

It would be more correct to say small guilds won't be able to afford it right away than to say they won't be able to afford it at all.

In this game, credits are as easy to get as sand is in the desert. The only reason players are broke is because they keep spending it (kinda like life, eh?). The only reason guilds are broke is either because a) players didn't want to put money in the guild bank, or b) players keep taking money OUT of the guild bank.

A small RP-only guild could make 50 million in a couple months by each player putting 50k in the bank per day, so long as they didn't spend it.

I play with a group of RL friends, we've been here since the beginning, mostly get together once a week. Our group will never ever get that many credits together. Not because we are wastrels, but because we don't take that much in. Everyone doesn't play the way you do, people. So if guild ships are being added for other people it won't really register on our 'hey, there's something new in the game for us' meter.

Note that I'm not even saying they shouldn't do that, I'm just saying that unaffordable new content for us = no new content for us.

I, for one, am happy with the price.

We're talking a fraking Capital Ship here. From what I've read on Dulfy, Imperials get the Harrower, and Pubs get the Valor.

According to Wookiepeedia the cost of the Harrower is equivalent to 10 years output of a major mining colony.

Wookiepeedia doesn't list a price for the Valor, but it's fair to assume that they're roughly the same cost.

A large guild is going to have an easier time getting these ships, of course, but it's still going to set them back. 50 million is still going to be achievable for smaller guilds, but they're going to have to work harder for it, and I personally think that's perfectly fair. I'm sorry to all you smaller guilds who won't be able to buy a ship on day one, but if your guild decides that it's something they want to work towards, then work towards it. In my honest opinion, these ships are supposed to be a sign of prestige, something that the guild as a whole has decided to work towards, and it should not be handed out for a few million just as a "here you go" for having a guild.

Let's not forget that Guild Ships were announced...what? 4 months ago? If your guild wants a ship, and hasn't been saving for it, that's on you.

I think 50 mil is fair. Honestly, I was worried that this may happen when it was announced. We ran a number of fund drives and contests in both of my guilds.

Republic guild: 135 mil raised

Imperial: 72 mil raised

This took us about 2 months. Folks really came together and helped out.

This game is constantly being tuned toward the lowest common denominator. Guild ships should be earned. We will be proud of ours and will welcome new folks into our guild.

50 million is really nothing, it's not even really that out of reach for a solo player, forget a small guild.

I would have thought that these would have been several hundred million at the minimum.

Ok ok 50 million acceptable, but I'm sure as hell glad you don 't run this game. Several hundred millions credits is absurd, unless the cost is in upgrades. Even that is pushing it. Like this game doesn't already have enough things that only a small fraction of the community can access.

Edited by Nickious

This game is constantly being tuned toward the lowest common denominator. Guild ships should be earned. We will be proud of ours and will welcome new folks into our guild.

^This.

One thing I like about WS is that they have attunement for their raids.

I would have liked it if everyone had to beat an Ops on SM before they could access it in GF.

I really miss "In order to do the hard mode, you must have completed the normal mode version of the "Flashpoint Quest", dispensed from the an NPC just outside the flashpoint. After talking to that NPC again, at the appropriate level and after completing the normal quest, he will offer you the hard mode version of the quest instead.":(

I play with a group of RL friends, we've been here since the beginning, mostly get together once a week. Our group will never ever get that many credits together. Not because we are wastrels, but because we don't take that much in. Everyone doesn't play the way you do, people. So if guild ships are being added for other people it won't really register on our 'hey, there's something new in the game for us' meter.

Note that I'm not even saying they shouldn't do that, I'm just saying that unaffordable new content for us = no new content for us.

^ This...

If I had to smash out the dailies on Ilum, Black Hole, Sec X, CZ-198, and Oricon every single day for two weeks... frankly, I wouldn't WANT to play for awhile...

That sounds horrible, I highly doubt very many people would do that.

I don't, as a rule, do the dailies unless I'm also working towards the weekly, and I usually do those every other week, give or take...

So if I do them twice a month, including the weekly, on a few alts, I make a decent amount of credits, and that is all I care to see of them. I'm doing them less and less these days since they have long since hit farm and are boring...

If I had to smash out the dailies on Ilum, Black Hole, Sec X, CZ-198, and Oricon every single day for two weeks... frankly, I wouldn't WANT to play for awhile...

Honesty, yes. I had to do a lot of Czerka runs, because I really wanted that bound-to-legacy sword, and by the time I hit Hero, I was really, really tired of the game, so I stopped even before getting to Champion. I only did Black Hole/Sec X a couple of times, and Oricon/Ilum - with half of my chars, once only, for the story/gearing.

Back to the cost: I think it's too much. I know that Guild Banks are expensive, but the first bay costs only 600k! I understand Guild Ships have some important unlocks, and that's fair, but the base price, in my mind, needs to be lower.

For example, they said that a beginner should be able to afford Coruscant/Dromund Kaas strongholds. Which means they're less expensive than the base Nar Shaddaa stronghold(250k). Let's assume 100k. We know a beginner player has to struggle a bit before he accumulates 100k, if it's his first toon. So, 100k for 1 char = attainable, but expensive.

Let's take the guild. How many active people are in a medium guild? 50, 100? Take 50 - it's more fair to a small guild. So, 100k for each person(and an average player *would* be reluctant to part with 100k and more, if he's not a crafter/daily runner/gtn player) - it's 5mil. Is it expensive? Hell, yes. Is it still really expensive for small guilds? Very. But it's still attainable, and even a small guild can raise as much eventually.

(Remember, that's for a base purchase only - expensive unlocks will remain expensive).

Edited by Kulyok

Honesty, yes. I had to do a lot of Czerka runs, because I really wanted that bound-to-legacy sword, and by the time I hit Hero, I was really, really tired of the game, so I stopped even before getting to Champion. I only did Black Hole/Sec X a couple of times, and Oricon/Ilum - with half of my chars, once only, for the story/gearing.

Back to the cost: I think it's too much. I know that Guild Banks are expensive, but the first bay costs only 600k! I understand Guild Ships have some important unlocks, and that's fair, but the base price, in my mind, needs to be lower.

For example, they said that a beginner should be able to afford Coruscant/Dromund Kaas strongholds. Which means they're less expensive than the base Nar Shaddaa stronghold(250k). Let's assume 100k. We know a beginner player has to struggle a bit before he accumulates 100k, if it's his first toon. So, 100k for 1 char = attainable, but expensive.

Let's take the guild. How many active people are in a medium guild? 50, 100? Take 50 - it's more fair to a small guild. So, 100k for each person(and an average player *would* be reluctant to part with 100k and more, if he's not a crafter/daily runner/gtn player) - it's 5mil. Is it expensive? Hell, yes. Is it still really expensive for small guilds? Very. But it's still attainable, and even a small guild can raise as much eventually.

(Remember, that's for a base purchase only - expensive unlocks will remain expensive).

100k can be earned before getting your ship without any excessive effort(given you either need to have read a forum post/guide, played an MMO and used the market previously, or have some game experience to realize its ridiculously easy to make credits on the GTN).

5 million is less than some cosmetics go for(Revan's mask currently goes for 4 times that amount on my server). That's the price for a ship GTN. Even a small guild would easily have the guild ship on the first day.

Still really expensive for small guilds? That's not even expensive for a single player.

I just checked my guild I am with on JC. The IMP side. Their are 103 members. Some are alts. Of those there are 8 55s. Five are mine. Some people actually play the game more than the GTN..because I guess it is a..game? There are a lot of new players. It will take a while before the get a bunch of credits.

^ This...

If I had to smash out the dailies on Ilum, Black Hole, Sec X, CZ-198, Oricon every single day for two weeks... frankly, I wouldn't WANT to play for awhile...

That sounds horrible, I highly doubt very many people would do that.

I used to run Black Hole, Ilum, Section X, Czerka, Makeb and Oricon dailies. Daily. However, their repetitive nature was not boring me out of my skull. It made me push and aim for faster completion times and making the run as smooth as possible.

I've stopped running them a few months ago because I started grinding HM Flashpoint achievements. With those out of the way, I'm currently running 50HM flashpoints. Every so often I pay a visit to the Black Hole and try to beat it in under 12 minutes. I don't need the credits, I just want to see if I can beat my own record.

Edited by slafko

100k can be earned before getting your ship without any excessive effort(given you either need to have read a forum post/guide, played an MMO and used the market previously, or have some game experience to realize its ridiculously easy to make credits on the GTN).

Do you remember yourself as you just started MMO's? I remember my first experiences with SWTOR very clearly(my first real MMO, and I was in awe) - and honestly, 80k was a fortune to me, I couldn't afford blues neither for Khem nor for myself, I tried to sell greens for peanuts at GTN, and I had absolutely no idea I could do anything with crafting materials besides levelling my own skill, and I always ran out of them.

Of course, later I got some knowledge and some credits, but not everybody goes that far. Most people just enjoy the game casually, struggle with level 43 skill trainer costs, and never ever donate to the guild banks. 50 mil is just something out of fairy tales to them. Or Darth Vader's bedtime stories, more likely.

(And, frankly, I'll be honest: I haven't earned my millions by being charitable and kind and forgiving. I'm a greedy and a nasty person, and I want to spend as little as possible. The more we complain about the high costs, the better our chances are.)

A question no one has considered since most of us posting in the forums are subs but I do have a question

What about the F2P guilds.? They can make guilds but can they actually get that much credits in a guild bank?

Just a question someone asked on the game earlier tonight and I really had no idea.

If the guild ship is the Dreadnaught class of warship, then you're getting away with robbery if you can buy one of those for a measly 50 million. It's a freakin' warship for crying out loud! The amount of resources to build that thing! The number of man hours...., years...., DECADES it took to build ONE of those ships, and the cost. It would take a galaxy spanning empire to be able to afford ships of that class. Single planet, single solar star system empires would hardly be able to afford one or two of those, let alone an entire fleet.

The Empire is subsidizing the cost of one of those ships, a guild only has to pay a mere 50 million credits, while the Empire picks up the remaining 4 trillion cost of building and commissioning the Dreadnaught Class Warship. The reasoning is simple. The Empire wants to expand it's navy quickly, with willing partners able to muster the numbers of warriors and pilots able to man such ships, but that don't quite fit the Imperial mold.... Chis, Mandos, Sith Lords that have their own agenda's (so long as it does not conflict with the Emperor's will - or the will of the Dark Council), will all have an opportunity to serve The Empire - as well as their own ends....

The Empire has determined that if an individual or single entity can raise 50 million credits, to spend on a massive Dreadnaught class warship - without imploding, then they can be of use to The Emperor.

I hope that explains everything you need to know about The Empire's plan to dominate the galaxy.

EDIT: I just learned that those scum, The Republic, are copying OUR idea. The scum....

EDIT 2: If people are willing to, and do, spend 14 to 20 million for one of those scout walkers, then I suppose a guild can come up with 50 million credits for a Dreadnaught Class warship. Just adding that last bit.

Edited by WorldSmasher

If the guild ship is the Dreadnaught class of warship, then you're getting away with robbery if you can buy one of those for a measly 50 million. It's a freakin' warship for crying out loud! The amount of resources to build that thing! The number of man hours...., years...., DECADES it took to build ONE of those ships, and the cost. It would take a galaxy spanning empire to be able to afford ships of that class. Single planet, single solar star system empires would hardly be able to afford one or two of those, let alone an entire fleet.

The Empire is subsidizing the cost of one of those ships, a guild only has to pay a mere 50 million credits, while the Empire picks up the remaining 4 trillion cost of building and commissioning the Dreadnaught Class Warship. The reasoning is simple. The Empire wants to expand it's navy quickly, with willing partners able to muster the numbers of warriors and pilots able to man such ships, but that don't quite fit the Imperial mold.... Chis, Mandos, Sith Lords that have their own agenda's (so long as it does not conflict with the Emperor's will - or the will of the Dark Council), will all have an opportunity to serve The Empire - as well as their own ends....

The Empire has determined that if an individual or single entity can raise 50 million credits, to spend on a massive Dreadnaught class warship - without imploding, then they can be of use to The Emperor.

I hope that explains everything you need to know about The Empire's plan to dominate the galaxy.

EDIT: I just learned that those scum, The Republic, are copying OUR idea. The scum....

EDIT 2: If people are willing to, and do, spend 14 to 20 million for one of those scout walkers, then I suppose a guild can come up with 50 million credits for a Dreadnaught Class warship. Just adding that last bit.

What Percentage of the population bought a Walker?

A question no one has considered since most of us posting in the forums are subs but I do have a question

What about the F2P guilds.? They can make guilds but can they actually get that much credits in a guild bank?

Just a question someone asked on the game earlier tonight and I really had no idea.

F2Pers can't make guilds, you need a sub to make a guild. They can't put credits in a gbank either. I really don't think its intended to be accessible to f2pers.