A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I never used to PvP before because I always hated that it was never even, as in it was always gear dependent, which led those with the superior gear to think that they were somehow better than everyone else. I always wondered why there was never any naked PvP wherein you could definitely say "yah, I have the skills to take on anyone anytime and I don't need gear to prove it".

Anywhosen, after reading your topic I decided to try it out on my new Sorceress. Below is my result (I am Del'Ciyi):

http://i61.tinypic.com/21kyxsh.png

I was surprised at how much fun it could be especially since I made sure chat was off (honestly though, I did check it once in awhile and no one was talking). I think I will have to go a few more rounds and see how it goes. Maybe instead of typing it all out I will record it instead. I didn't think I would last that long, and I only died after the match was winding down, so to speak, as the pubs were getting desperate for the giant thingies in the middle.

After coming from Aion where everyone always thinks that they are somehow a better human than everyone else because they only partake in PvP, I must say SWTOR makes it very enjoyable. No wonder I spend so much money on this game, lmao! I think I will also try the Galactic Starfighter next!

Congrats on the Alderaan CW win and welcome! Right now is a great time to try out the PvP because you won't be the only person entering ungeared. :) Sorcerer, yay! They make fearsome opponents.

I am a proponent of reading the chat, and just studiously ignoring the outbursts of bad temper. At least on L55, you do see calls and rudimentary strategy commands/quick heads-up.

Nothing to report here, between having a too long day at work yesterday and a patch this morning, no playtime, save for the GTN re-log ins, 'cause the always Legacy needs credits. But I still have a few days to finish the Weekly off on the Gunslinger, and might even have time to throw the baby Trooper in. After all, he is about to be L14, so now he should be like win a match single-handedly. I am kindda hoping to solo Esseles on him on L15, while I can still get the XP for it. :)

Edited by DomiSotto

Esseles isn't too bad especially if you have Treek; I love that lil gal! I would often do it from level 10 until 15 so I could skip the starter planet. I don't know if I will PvP all the way to 55, but I'll see how it goes. I will check chat every once in a while, but for right now I like it when it's quiet, lmao.

Thanks for the welcome btw.

Heya, I dunno, I normally do not do FPs, but i will give it a shot, seeing Esseles is easy.

Okay, just did my 2x daily today. I saw it on the thread while reading this forum and got caught in the same situation - I was trying to cap a node, but a stealth char interrupted me, without unstealthing. The only thing I could think of doing was dropping in cover to build up the Ready for Anything to break the stealth on the opponent and typed to my team that I have an inc stealth on the node. But what is the better way? Throw an AoE?

I have also discovered that I have no idea what the heck is going on in the Voidstar. I need to watch the video or read a description, as it seems mighty confusing, unfortunately.

A mix of battles that went well and not so well for the team. There were ones where opposing team was doing in excess of 8000 damage to my toon, so I figure we were running against well-geared opponents, and we got slaughtered out of the gates. I had a facepalm moment when I had no idea how to get to the grass from the mid on Alderaan. Again. I am just so used to not having a lifespan in the zones, and coming of Death, it sucks. :(

Anyway, gonna cash in my winnings and buy another bit of equipment. Valor is 35. I can see that 40 from here! But, I am just starting to really covet improvement. I gotta try harder!

I have also discovered that I have no idea what the heck is going on in the Voidstar. I need to watch the video or read a description, as it seems mighty confusing, unfortunately.!

Voidstar is a 2 part game. You can start on defense or offense. Each "round" has a countdown, plus it can end if the offense gets all the way to the "data core". Then you switch sides. The thing that most people don't get at first is that the clock is adjusted for the second round. If during the first round, the team made it to the data core in 5 minutes, then the countdown is reset to 5 minutes for the second team. I've seen some confusion over this. The first team will be like "hey, we made it with 5 minutes to spare, and they only had a minute, why did they win?" It's because you took 5 minutes, and they really only took 4. It can also happen that, if the first team only makes it through the first door, and it takes them 5 minutes - then if the second team makes the first door in under 5 minutes they win (or something close to that - I've still seen results I don't quite understand).

When you are on defense, watch the doors. Watch them at all costs. Do not chase kills, not cross go, do not collect 200 dollars. Just watch the danged doors! So SO many VS are lost (or at least made a lot harder) when, even though 2 or 3 people are "guarding" a door, they looked away for a few seconds and an enemy stealther planted the bomb. It takes 8 seconds to plant, but you'll swear it's only 3 when it happens to you. And try to constantly be counting "reds" that are near you, and pay attention to where your team is (purple on the mini-map) and be ready to switch sides when the enemy does. *Usually* (at least in lowbie) the attackers will make a big rush to one side, and send a stealth or two to the other. And then switch on and off from there.

If they do plant, you have 20 (?) seconds to clear the plant. To do so you have to channel the defuse for 3 seconds. You'll usually see a ton of AoE on the door at this point, because any damage interrupts the defuse (just like it does the plant).

Offense : you have to plant the bomb. Most teams do this one of two ways. They have such an overwhelming team that they clear the enemy and then spend 8 seconds planting. Usually this involves some last second Cc as the enemy door opens and the reds come rushing out to try to stop the plant, and your team flashbangs or knockes them back or something like that to give the planter that last second they need.

Or, they engage the enemy, and keep them distracted while some stealth plants the door behind them.

Or (I guess 3 ways), a stealth (or two) goes to the "off door" (defenders often keep all but 1 guy on the heavy door, and have just that one defender on the off door who is expected to call when she needs help), and mezzs the defender and plants before any other defenders can get over there.

At all locations the offense has 2 different doors they can plant on, and if they get either one, both open. Between the doors they have to extend bridges. These are also an 8-second "plant", but once they get it it extends immediately (no defuse possible). However, each bridge has to be extended separately (you don't get them both for free when you get the first, like you do with the doors).

Once a door is blown the name of the game for both sides is Cc. Slow, stun, mezz root. If you have these things, use them to slow down everyone you can on the other size. Speed, escape, stealth... if you have these use them as best you can to get to the next area. The offense is trying to slow down the defense so that their "speedsters" can get ahead and extend the bridges and even plant the NEXT doors (this is why you want Cc if you can, and not kill - if you kill them they teleport AHEAD to spawn at those NEXT doors, but if you Cc it keeps them way back behind where they do no good). I've been on teams where after getting the first set of doors we zoomed through the next two and got to the data core almost unopposed because the team did such a good job Ccing and generally slowing down the enemy. When on defense you want to slow down the offense so they don't get a chance to get ahead like that.

It's something of a "dance" because you want to keep them back while getting your guys ahead, but also moving ahead yourself.

I think that's the (rather long) basics. Hopefully that helps, and doesn't just confuse you worse. :D

Thank you for taking your time! I need to read through it for the strategies. I normally always on the node cc'ing and kicking as much as I can, but I get confused a lot when the phase changes and at the bridges. :) I don't think I was ever able to see that datacore we are trying to get either, even when a team won. Well, one day!

Harbinger is down, so I can't go and figure out if I can get more equipment replaces! Delayed gratification, i suppose. :eek:

Leave my Legacy?! NEVAR! I do have a toon on Progenitor. But maybe it's a sign to log off and like go do something else till I can get on with my dying. Heh, my mom decided to take interest just as we were being slaughtered on Novare, and by slaughtered I mean I was dead in two hits. Nothing warms heart better than your mom looking over your shoulder and asking: "So do they play some kind of sound when you die?" Yeah, they play trumpets, mom. :p

Good to see this going on. Makes me feel good to see people enjoying new (for them) content. :)

Just wanted to give a few tips on Voidstar, since Domi said she finds it a bit confusing.

A good idea in defending, is staying hidden behind the two big columns, with your character's face towards the door. Not only this helps you keep an eye on it, but also makes it hard for backstabbers to get you. The closer to the column, the better. ;)

Of course, how you play it depends on your class. A couple of examples below, terms are for Imp Side, with Rep ones between parenthesis. I'll use my Sorcerer and my Sniper as models, seeing at how Domi said she has a Sage and a Gunslinger, two mirror classes of my own characters. :)

This is how I defend on my Sorc. Zooming out as much as possible, turning camera with left click+dragging and keeping Static Barrier (Force Armor) on at all times also help. And of course, calling incs, like in every other WZ it's useful to know if you're under attack by a stealther or by the whole enemy team.

On my Sniper, I use a different approach. I get in cover on the door's edge, usualy hte farthest one from the spawning point, back to the corner. Reason for that is, that nobody can charge me. And if I see a potential puller - Shadow/Assassin Tank speeced, Vanguard/Powertech every spec - I pop an Entrench (Hunker Down) and spray my dots, slows, roots or whatever around while calling for hte Inc. Shield Probe (Defence Screen) can be helpful too. And don't forget Cover Pulse (Pulse Detonator) can give you a few more seconds while your melee opponent is pushed back, while also keeping a potential backstabber away. ;)

On attack it gets tricky. Sorcs get focused quite often, so charging head first is never a good idea. I usually tend to let hte team attack from the front while I maneuver to the side, spending a few moments ot mark hte healer if I see it. Otherwise I attack who my team focuses. I also noticed that, as Sorc/Sage, your Force Speed can be your best friend in this WZ. If you manage to get a good headstart and your team slows the others long enough, you can easily Force Speed your way through victory. :D

As Sniper it's a bit harder, because maneuvering tends to require a lot more time. So, I usually park myself just in reach of the front of the door and shoot things. Usually that baits the opposing team to try and get me, and then someone else plants. Or I simply remain there and keep shooting, killing them (not exactly) slowly. :rolleyes:

If we plant, I reposition myself as in defence.

While advancing, I spread mezzes (Flash Bang/Flash Grenade), roots (Leg Shot) or slows, which usually allow a runner to get enough advantage to open the bridge and plant the bomb. Sometimes even to speed through that and reach the forcefields beyond, if the runner is skilled and the team works well. :cool:

Just keep it up, you'll get the hang of it, Domi. Never feel discouraged, if you can ask for help. :)

Okay, just did my 2x daily today. I saw it on the thread while reading this forum and got caught in the same situation - I was trying to cap a node, but a stealth char interrupted me, without unstealthing. The only thing I could think of doing was dropping in cover to build up the Ready for Anything to break the stealth on the opponent and typed to my team that I have an inc stealth on the node. But what is the better way? Throw an AoE?

Depends on the situation. If it was your "natural" node (any node that is to the left of your spawn), then you did the right thing. I typically wouldn't throw an AoE around in hopes to get lucky and hit the stealther - you'll just chew your energy and your resolve will tick down, leaving you vulnerable for more saps. Since you're a gunslinger (I assume), if you have Flyby, drop it on yourself and force the cap.

There are two types of stealthers; the guys who will try to solo you, and the guys who will just interfere with your cap. If it's the solo guy; he's just going to open up on you right away - call your incs and try not to die (no big deal if you do. If you've called incs and lasted as long as you can - you've done your job). If they're gonna interfere; they'll sap you. Unless you're in hyper gate, don't burn your breaker straight away - unless absolutely necessary. Once the mezz ends; cap again. If you get sapped again; cc break and force the cap. You'll be at full resolve so don't waste hunker down until it empties. If it is hyper gate; most stealthers will wait for the 30sec mark to sap cap. Do NOT sit on the node itself. You're a gunslinger, sit as far back as you can. If you get sapped; call inc, cc break > hunker down. Typically on my slinger I run sabotage; so at about 40seconds I'll pop hunker down; sabotage and hunker down again once it ends. So they have to force the fight if they want the pylon. If you get unlucky and get chained, your team has 6 seconds to respond; so stay on your toes. (Main reason why I hate AHG). Also; always dot a stealther. Good chance it'll break them out of stealth.

That's most of the advice if have for it and it really is situational and experience based, which you get from playing and losing to these tactics. I'd also recommend playing other classes. Easiest way to counter them is to know how they're played. Good luck :)

Oh, wow, thank you so much. Hanker down. Of course. Use it all the time in levelling did not think about PvP to break the pulls. Yay, will do!

I am not playing my sage any more, because with the L55 carrying 2 dailies, that's about all the time I get and I find that I do not switch easy from one to another. So, if I want to get to passable, I gotta drive one character until I am not facepalming.

Yes, I was on our node (grass on Alderaan, yes?), and I got one of the heavy weight guys coming to bail me out, which was fortunate because the stealthier apparently had a friend that showed up at the same time. I think he was interrupting me waiting for the melee DPS to show up and finish me off at leisure (maybe they were noobs too... any Sin worth his Brute would have eaten me up). Flyby was what I was thinking about for the AoE, as I always try to put it on nodes or bottlenecks and since I think that's the only one I can use without a target.

Thank you for suggested positioning & back to the wall idea. With Dirty Fighting I tend to be too aggressive probably, because that's how I fight in levelling, using a lot of knee kicks and blaster whips, particularly after I respeced to get a speed boost after the Blaster Whip hit.

Edited by DomiSotto

Thank you for suggested positioning & back to the wall idea.

Just be careful with how you position yourself and be prepared to move if needed. If you have your back to a wall, any good melee dps will try to position themselves directly behind to as best they can, to avoid being hit with your knock back. I usually just sit in a spot that's reasonably good los spots (depending on the map) so my knock back is still useful. I've seen a lot of snipers/slingers melt cause their knock back just pushed them against the wall, then ate a master strike/ravage.

Yes, I keep watching for those, knee kick/whip and run&DoT to put a distance, but they are hard. A backstub, ravage along with a bunch of purple thinggies from Sorcs... those huge damage dealing hits are very hard to survive, and one thing which I am really sucking in is switching a distant target to the guy who is right on top of me. I have it set to the mid screen, but I find that when the opponent is right next to me, the char still tries to aim at distance, even if the opponent is the only red I see on my screen. I really need to work more on targeting close objects, I have the same issue in levelling, though infrequently, as in levleling sneaking and leaping is waaay too rare. Edited by DomiSotto

I just completed a Voidstar and even though we lost, man was it cool!

http://i62.tinypic.com/34qo4d3.png

I even managed to get 14 kills but this time I was playing as a mercenary. A Sorceress fried me one time so I got me revenge by shoving a few missiles up her butt! :p There was a sniper who I loved attacking, but whenever I got close to him for an uppercut he would blast me away, so I just used flamethrower to take him down.

Hadn't the foggiest idea what I was doing, but it was fun nonetheless. Now only if most of the people here could actually put fun back in the PvP department and stop acting as if it's a real life and death situation. Btw, that bit about having chat off is swell (esp with your favourite tunes playing in the background).

Just did the Alderaanian Civil War and lost, but this one was even more fun that the star. I died maybe 10x or so, but I kicked *** too! I tried to secure one of the thingies in the middle and had to play a bit of cat and mouse with a sniper before a juggernaut floored me. I still managed to get the "Jugger Not" achievement, so in his face!

http://i57.tinypic.com/2ryr2o3.png

Ok, I think I need to stop PvP'ing before I enjoy it too much! ^.^

Now only if most of the people here could actually put fun back in the PvP department and stop acting as if it's a real life and death situation. Btw, that bit about having chat off is swell (esp with your favourite tunes playing in the background).

"How I learned to stop caring and love PvP" :)

Well, people want to win, and I understand that. I like to win too, but not at the expense of my blood pressure. I'm too old for that. :D

I used to get all worked up. Not to the point of raging chat, or quitting, but sometimes I'd be screaming at the screen... "YOU IDIOT!" And people all have different things that really get to them I think. (For me, it's when a whole group goes to cap something, and then THEY ALL LEAVE - leaving the thing they just took defenseless - bugs me to no end - but I digress).

But then I decided, meh - who cares. It's a game. If people rage at me, meh... If someone makes a mistake, meh, I've probably made that same mistake myself many times. It's not like my income depends on doing well. My love life. My job promotions. Whether or not I get invited to the family holiday party. So let haters hate, and just remember to pity them. Because apparently they don't have a family holiday party to look forward too. :D (And, honestly, when someone shows exceptionally good humor in a WZ, I always whisper them a thanks afterwards. Let them know that the effort is appreciated.)

Totally :) I always have the chat on, as a lot of people will direct people, and it is awesome help for a noob.

But some insults are better than the others. I decided to grab a node for once and carry it back to the Pylon, so I got the "Tishujen, come into NiM with us for a DPS role after" LOL. Okay, Okay, sorry, my bad. :) DPS'd my little heart out for the rest of the zone, as much as I could.

The Weekly's done for me, and have a short daily. Real hit and miss experiences across the board. An under 9 min Huttball, where the opposite team was just slaughtered outright. Then a Voidstar where we provided enough blood for a largish coven of vampires. That Hypergate I have mentioned the team actually won ('cause I am such a great DPS, I am absolutely certain of it!)

But of course I made a stupid one on the gear. I should have gotten the Professional set, as the Enforcer's is the Scoundrel's, now that I half-understand the Set Bonus thing. I am hoping though, that bracers and belt have no bearing on the 5 piece. So, I can just start buying the Professional bits for the rest of them. Need about 140 comms to afford the MH. :o

Edited by DomiSotto

"How I learned to stop caring and love PvP" :)

Well, people want to win, and I understand that. I like to win too, but not at the expense of my blood pressure. I'm too old for that. :D

Yes I understand that winning is a part of PvP, but some people go overboard. Maybe I don't get upset because my philosophy is, "If I'm going down I'm making sure to take four of you with me", lmao. I just got ********ed in the hypergate but it was worth it because I was able to single out and slaughter all of those pubs who did me in before. Funny thing is, I am always the lowest level in the warzone but I still manage to do well (just hit 14 about 25 seconds ago).

I never laughed so much in this game just now as when I got in a scrub with about four people only to realize I was alone, and then I headed for the hills only to be knocked unconscious with a boulder. Now I can't wait to get more skills. :D

The way Bolster works, your level after a certain point is not a hindrance. As long as you have your key abilities, you are good!

Loosing is as much part of the PvP as the winning, but as long as it is fun, and you are enjoying the fight, that's the main thing. I love close matches, and I love seeing people who are totally awesome, no matter what side they are on. Even if my strategy against one of them boils down to opening my wee legs a little wider and trying to enjoy it :)