Streaming GSF

Drakkolich

It was very cool to see him out there (though, honestly, it had been so long that it took me a full game to remember who Phytia was). Is he going to stick around for a while?

It was also cool to see Xi'ao join the Harb scene (and to play with rather than against him for once). Some entertaining matches last night.

He said he had a really good time but was really rusty, he was in practically stock ships last night because transfers were down. He plans to transfer his Bastion character over and play here and there, and ya the games last night were fun!

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys just wanted to throw up some links to some of the ridiculous games we had last night.

We kept fighting Siraka's team which most nights is very Gunship heavy so instead of using our normal balanced setup we decide hell with it lets just play all Scouts.

One of the big reasons we don't usually do this is to be effective you have to keep up the pressure all game which essentially means fighting right on top of their spawn giving no room for the Gunships to kite us.

In the second game we played vs them we did the same strategy and well his team plays the meta well and adapts. When this happens we do the exact same thing and it turned into a really great game showing just how the meta works.

I hope you guys enjoy the videos.

If anyone we played against in these videos happens to check these out, please let me know if you guys were really upset we used this strategy. We wanted to try it vs you one night just to see how it played out.

Edit: Sorry there was a slight hiccup with the second game it apparently uploaded the entire stream instead of just the one game, I have fixed it.

Edited by Drakkolich

Hey guys just wanted to throw up some links to some of the ridiculous games we had last night.

We kept fighting Siraka's team which most nights is very Gunship heavy so instead of using our normal balanced setup we decide hell with it lets just play all Scouts.

One of the big reasons we don't usually do this is to be effective you have to keep up the pressure all game which essentially means fighting right on top of their spawn giving no room for the Gunships to kite us.

In the second game we played vs them we did the same strategy and well his team plays the meta well and adapts. When this happens we do the exact same thing and it turned into a really great game showing just how the meta works.

I hope you guys enjoy the videos.

If anyone we played against in these videos happens to check these out, please let me know if you guys were really upset we used this strategy. We wanted to try it vs you one night just to see how it played out.

Edit: Sorry there was a slight hiccup with the second game it apparently uploaded the entire stream instead of just the one game, I have fixed it.

That second game was really interesting. It illustrates the meta well, and I think I'm going to link to it from my guide, if you're okay with that.

I was surprised how well we did in the second game. Your team not only had more aces, but most of your aces were super aces/all stars. Playing the meta is so important.

For a bit of background - when the teams were pretty similar earlier on in the night Drak's team played a good composition of 3 scouts, 3 GS, and a bomber. The score was more like 50-20ish

That second game was really interesting. It illustrates the meta well, and I think I'm going to link to it from my guide, if you're okay with that.

I don't necessarily think that this game is a good one to show to new players unless you are teaching them that they should always outnumber the enemy team to win. The imperial team in game 2 in particular showed a resounding lack of situational awareness on the whole, which allowed for the wholesale slaughter that occurs around the 7 minute mark. A well co-ordinated opposition would never allow for that to happen, and I think that videos to show to new players should showcase how outmatched opponents can overcome the odds, rather than how a co-ordinated 5 man group can overwhelm a scattered collection of solo-q players.

Edited by Lavaar

I don't necessarily think that this game is a good one to show to new players unless you are teaching them that they should always outnumber the enemy team to win. The imperial team in game 2 in particular showed a resounding lack of situational awareness on the whole, which allowed for the wholesale slaughter that occurs around the 7 minute mark. A well co-ordinated opposition would never allow for that to happen, and I think that videos to show to new players should showcase how outmatched opponents can overcome the odds, rather than how a co-ordinated 5 man group can overwhelm a scattered collection of solo-q players.

I kinda disagree. I mean, I don't know that I think these are really "newb" level videos, but when I watched the 2 games live as they happened, it was really interesting to see how the other team reacted. In the first game, you start to see a bomber here and there towards the end, but the scout swarm was already in full effect.

In looking at the second game, Drak's team jumps out to an early lead at the beginning (something like 10 ahead, if I remember). At some point, around the 23-30 kill mark, the enemy team has swapped tactics up, and there are something like 5 bombers showing up, and the Imps actually take the lead for a moment (I think they even went up by like 4-5?). Then the call is made to go for Gunships on the Pub (Drak's) team, and after a few minutes, the game has solidly swung back in the Pub's favor.

I don't disagree that the ability to coordinate via voice to quickly change composition is a huge advantage in Drak's favor here, but I do think this did a pretty good job of displaying the pseudo rock/paper/scissors dynamic in GSF when taken to the extremes.

In the first game, Imps fielded more and more gunships to try to deal with The Zerg Rush, because everyone knows, when in doubt, MOAR GUNSHIPS! (:D) And it really didn't work out for them, because the natural counter to the strict GS wall is to go all Scouts.

It's an extreme example, and uneven teams, to be sure, but I do think it largely is demonstrative of the M.E.T.A.

That and I had fun watching it because I love scouts. :D

The reason to show the video isn't who won, it's how impactful swapping ships was. It showcases how important it is to use the right ship at any moment and to swap when necessary.

You even said it yourself Vexx it was a Co-ordinated 5 man group vs 3-4 solo-q players and if we had just kept hammering them with Scouts we would have lost by a huge margin vs those 5 Bombers they pulled out to counter us.

As for "the wholesale slauther" that happened at 7 minutes it was Full counter swap just like they did to us. That's exactly what should happen, after we regain the lead Siraka and Halkian both swap to Scouts and murder a few of us but their teammates didn't follow suit and stayed on Bombers.

Now after all that I don't think it's a great video to show new players as is. I do think it's a great video to watch with a new player and explain to them why players are swapping ships and how the game is changing when there doing it.

I was surprised how well we did in the second game. Your team not only had more aces, but most of your aces were super aces/all stars. Playing the meta is so important.

For a bit of background - when the teams were pretty similar earlier on in the night Drak's team played a good composition of 3 scouts, 3 GS, and a bomber. The score was more like 50-20ish

I was surprised too, when you guys pulled out those 5 Bombers the game got really hard for us.

I'm curious though Siraka were you ever really mad in those 2 games that we were right on top of your spawn? It can't really be avoided with the All Scout strategy, you just can't let them setup ever. I'm just curious if you were pulling your hair out or having as much as we were?

I was surprised too, when you guys pulled out those 5 Bombers the game got really hard for us.

I'm curious though Siraka were you ever really mad in those 2 games that we were right on top of your spawn? It can't really be avoided with the All Scout strategy, you just can't let them setup ever. I'm just curious if you were pulling your hair out or having as much as we were?

Nope it didn't bother me at all. The way I see it, you guys are at a disadvantage because you have less engines than we do. Besides, with fresh seeker mines and railgun drones on spawn, you are basically walking into a trap anyway.

Stream is going up.

I wanted to let everyone know that after really giving the whole "go easy" on the other team thing a shot for a couple of months now I've decided to go back to just playing the game. Our experiments with swapping satellites with newer players have been awful failures because many just take it as us being condescending or that were not going easy enough.

We're just going to play the game as we did back before all this "go easy" experimentation. Now this doesn't mean we're not going to play stupid ships in some games or dick around flying through star destroyers for fun, this just means no one should expect anything other than our best ever.

Stream is going up.

I wanted to let everyone know that after really giving the whole "go easy" on the other team thing a shot for a couple of months now I've decided to go back to just playing the game. Our experiments with swapping satellites with newer players have been awful failures because many just take it as us being condescending or that were not going easy enough.

We're just going to play the game as we did back before all this "go easy" experimentation. Now this doesn't mean we're not going to play stupid ships in some games or dick around flying through star destroyers for fun, this just means no one should expect anything other than our best ever.

Odd because I have never once heard anyone complain about it. So if I had to guess you are really just tired of listening to Verain whine. See: SS Solo Q thread. An additional note. There was a time when The Bastion was equal to The Harbinger in GSF pops Bioware even did their streams on The Bastion. It shall remain a great mystery what the difference was. Verain is very smart and analytical surely he can unravel this for us.