DON'T ban the gold spammers!

HeatRacer

As we've all seen, everytime we report someone as a gold spammer and ignore, they just come back the next day with a new toon and the tedious process starts over again. I propose letting them keep their toons, that way we can all Ignore them just once. Thus, they will continue to use that same toon and we don't have to clog up our Ignore lists every day. It requires no extra programming on the dev's parts, and in fact, saves them work not having to continuously ban people that just come back the next day anyways.

There will be enough players who whine to Bioware to ban them...to over-ride the voice of logic.

If it worked, it'd be done already.

Some in-game GM's would be the quickest solution - identify the spammers, and just put in a "mute" on them so they have no idea they're automatically being silenced.

There will be enough players who whine to Bioware to ban them...to over-ride the voice of logic.

Then perhaps the one change that should be made (which has been suggested by many others) is to automatically put them on Ignore when they report them as spam. That way, those players achieve the same effect of "banning" them (ie not hearing from them any more).

Some in-game GM's would be the quickest solution - identify the spammers, and just put in a "mute" on them so they have no idea they're automatically being silenced.

You wouldn't need in-game GMs...it's 2014...send an email with the last 30 /chats from the character being reported and mute them remotely.

But... Errrr... I mean...

Won't they know about it as well? :confused:

That does assume that the person behind the bot watches the chat and doesn't just let it run unattended.

I still really like the solution that others have mentioned where they are muted but don't get any notification that it's happened.

Won't they know about it as well? :confused:

I s'pose if pigs can fly bots can read.

Seriously doubt if a Chinese kid controlling bots and initiating automated spam on multiple servers in multiple games simultaneously is paying much attention. Could be wrong. :eek:

I am seriously doubting they are getting banned.

I suppose it's possible that the accounts get banned but the characters stay gathering dust on the servers, but that doesn't explain why I have had times that I report and ignore one, only to do the same one on another character several days later.

And if they don't get banned they'll still make new characters and new accounts. They have to reach the people that already put them on ignore, because they're still potential buyers (yeah right). And they can't be certain BW doesn't mute them for everyone. Muting does help, but it's not the solution. If attached to the muting is a ban upon logging off it'll allow for less frequent cleaning of the chat and more time to do other stuff.

Or they use stolen ones, or the ones their clients gave them access to for power leveling. And I can't have any pity for people that willingly go to those sites to get the malware I have no doubt they have ready there, and even less for people that want to buy the power leveling... BAN THEM ALL!

I had suggested putting in a mute/invisible option to keep them busy for a longer time after being caught, more than a few times actually. First time must have been when the spammers first came, but at least BW was serious about dealing with them back then, the characters got often deleted faster than you could report & ignore them.

But BW has let them go unchecked this last incarnation, looks like they found the market giving enough at minimal risk. Seems there are more and more thinking it's alright to buy because the spammers aren't stopped. So the spammers don't stop cause they are getting buyers (regardless if they even deliver the goods). It's a vicious circle that has to be broken each time by BW and the players.

It gets really demotivating to play when every time you log in there are 3 new ones fighting over the last line of chat.

Another solution that could reduce third-party gold sales -- BW creates a Credit/Cartel Coin exchange. Setup much like a separate section on the GM kiosks, players can list their CCs and others can purchase them directly for credits. This will eat into third-party sellers' potential sales significantly and simultaneously provide market fluctuation that prevents the third-party sellers from undercutting BW were it to sell CCs directly for credits.

Just an idea, and one that introduces its own problems to be sure.

Edited by scratcha
grammar

Ooh! Ooh! I have the perfect solution!

BW should just give every account infinite credits, which would destroy the market for farmed credits!

I defy anyone to come up with a single drawback to my amazing idea.

Edited by EranofArcadia

Its a good idea......

But you have to remember, guys in china selling real money for fake money are pretty smart, They know they are being added to ignore lists regardless of the "report spam", and just randomly make new toon's every day anyway.

As we've all seen, everytime we report someone as a gold spammer and ignore, they just come back the next day with a new toon and the tedious process starts over again. I propose letting them keep their toons, that way we can all Ignore them just once. Thus, they will continue to use that same toon and we don't have to clog up our Ignore lists every day. It requires no extra programming on the dev's parts, and in fact, saves them work not having to continuously ban people that just come back the next day anyways.

That's...

:eek:

When I even bother to open the chat window, and then even bother to actually follow fleet chat, I'll occasionally look at the price gold spammers are selling credits for before adding them to my ignore list.

It's a great way to kind of track the health of the game.