It is time to fix solo ranked

Venjirai

To be honest, I 'm very ignorant to even the basic mechanics of my class and just want to defend and deflect knowing full well it is overtuned.

You should have given me a 0/10, 1 is too generous

At least you're honest.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removing solo ranked will not improve 4s, people will just stop playing ranked. The population pool has dwindled far too much at this point. There's only a handful of very good teams that queue 4s and they want more people forced into 4s so that they can farm and that's it pure plain and simple..

while their motives are far from pure, that's not entirely accurate. a lot of ppl are as you describe, but there's another ego-driven and valid reason: they cannot accept playing with teammates who "bring them down." they'd rather roflstomp a handful of lesser players than have one of them on their team. but w/e. we agree that grp will never be as populous as solo. I just don't think they're all quite as malicious as you frame it...just very egotistical.

for the record, solo Q (when not abused) is a perfectly valid rating system (with faults, of course). however, the rating is relative (I've said this before): it only works up to 1500 rating. and it's only valid for pools of the same AC and faction. there's a lot to be desired of it, but the point is that it's not an absolute criterion the way a grp rating can legitimately say "we're the best four on server."

Once again, the proposition of removing solo ranked is the single greatest piece of idiocy ever spewed forth on these forums. It is literally ridiculous -- deserving of being ridiculed -- and should be derided, berated, and spited any time in rears its head. It is also literally insane, an argument for an idea that failed before and will fail again. That the devs embraced group-only ranked PvP in the first place is perhaps the single most insulting and damaging idea for PvP they have ever had. That this idea has any sort of support among the player base is horrifying to me, sickens me to my core. I refuse to be treated like a second class citizens just because I prefer to play the game with a wide variety of people.

The best way to save solo ranked would be to add normal warzones to both queues, solo and grouped. The simple truth is that certain classes will never be suited to arenas. Hard class/role-based systems just do not readily adhere to team death match (especially single elimination TDM). Throw in the general disinterest the community seems to have toward arenas (to put it in the nicest terms possible) and you have a recipe for failure.

Once again, the proposition of removing solo ranked is the single greatest piece of idiocy ever spewed forth on these forums. It is literally ridiculous -- deserving of being ridiculed -- and should be derided, berated, and spited any time in rears its head. It is also literally insane, an argument for an idea that failed before and will fail again. That the devs embraced group-only ranked PvP in the first place is perhaps the single most insulting and damaging idea for PvP they have ever had. That this idea has any sort of support among the player base is horrifying to me, sickens me to my core. I refuse to be treated like a second class citizens just because I prefer to play the game with a wide variety of people.

The best way to save solo ranked would be to add normal warzones to both queues, solo and grouped. The simple truth is that certain classes will never be suited to arenas. Hard class/role-based systems just do not readily adhere to team death match (especially single elimination TDM). Throw in the general disinterest the community seems to have toward arenas (to put it in the nicest terms possible) and you have a recipe for failure.

Solo ranked is the stain in your moms panties. It was a mistake to ever add them to this game. PvP should be about teamwork, not a series of random events which rewards mediocrity.

We know, man... we know

We? Are you schizophrenic?

Well, if a Marauder is complaining about having it worse than a sniper in solo rated, then I guess you have a big L2P problem.

Edited by Venjirai

I have reading comprehension problems

Well, if someone trying so hard to defend Sniper, like me, is complaining about having it worse than a Mara in solo rated, then I guess I have a big L2P problem.

That is correct.

Solo ranked is the stain in your moms panties. It was a mistake to ever add them to this game. PvP should be about teamwork, not a series of random events which rewards mediocrity.

You see? All you have are insults. Probably because this whole idea is insulting. It is based on the notion that solo players "aren't good enough" for ranked PvP, that they don't deserve it, that by forsaking them -- the majority of the player population, I cannot stress enough -- the grouped players who play the game "properly" might enjoy more matches due to solo players being forced to find teams. And those that either can't or don't want to find teams? Screw 'em.

And they tried it; God help them, Bioware ate that idea right up. And it failed pathetically. And it will fail again because nothing has changed; solo players don't want to be forced into groups. And trying to make it work again is insane. Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?

What you call "random," I call "a challenge." Being a good player shouldn't mean being good in the same situation over and over again. A good player should be able to overcome randomness except in the most extreme circumstances.

If you have to completely rewrite another's quote to make your argument work that should tell you how wrong you are.

inb4 sylence quotes and rewrites this.

It's par for the course.

Inb4 blah, blah, blah, ignorant, rewrite quotes, Mara needs immunity, tear, tear, tear.

Edited by L-RANDLE

You see? All you have are insults. Probably because this whole idea is insulting. It is based on the notion that solo players "aren't good enough" for ranked PvP, that they don't deserve it, that by forsaking them -- the majority of the player population, I cannot stress enough -- the grouped players who play the game "properly" might enjoy more matches due to solo players being forced to find teams. And those that either can't or don't want to find teams? Screw 'em.

And they tried it; God help them, Bioware ate that idea right up. And it failed pathetically. And it will fail again because nothing has changed; solo players don't want to be forced into groups. And trying to make it work again is insane. Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?

What you call "random," I call "a challenge." Being a good player shouldn't mean being good in the same situation over and over again. A good player should be able to overcome randomness except in the most extreme circumstances.

Go on.

This is what we get with a game that thrives on mediocrity.

This game surpasses any other I know when it comes to just derpy PvP development.

Well there are some issues with yolo that can be solved( *cough merge servers*cough), and I don't really see an issue with it existing, however.

In a game based on grouping to complete endgame content, its a bit unrealistic to assume it can be balanced with the prehistoric tech/dev attention that PvP gets. It's a side show between lockouts, not to be taken seriously. Nothing more, nothing less. It sucks, but looks like real PvP with SW IP will have to wait until BF3 comes out.

Go on.

You go on. I've actually made an argument. You used an 8th grade insult and basically called me a "stupid head." I think I'm winning.

Then again, why should I hold back when my enemy has so openly presented his throat . . .

FACT: As I am writing this the solo leader boards is more than twice the size of the grouped. (I would present actual numbers but the boards seem to be a bit bugged and all I can look at are page numbers.) Even assuming something absurd like 100% overlap, the number of solo players still outnumber the grouped ones by a sizeable margin. I think it's safe to say that any idea that is detrimental to over half the population is not an idea that ought to be taken seriously.

FACT: Back when the only option for ranked was grouped, nobody played it. The mode was abandoned except on one or two servers.

Supposition: I am willing to wager that in the final months of 8v8 ranked that maybe 100 different people were actually playing it. Maybe. With a potential player base of roughly half a million, that's pathetic. Out of a player population of only ten thousand it would still be pathetic.

So, I ask you, why the Hell should the developers go back to a system that not only disenfranchises most of its players but failed miserably in the past?

in my modest opinion, i think the first issue is not having a x-server queue, because the population is not suficient in a single server to support a real season. i play on a pve server so i could be wrong about this but there, who's doing ranked are always the same guys..paired with people who manage groups in chat or in their guild and do group queue. the solo population increased since the daily weekly..but's farming only..the matchmaking is not perfect at the moment and this doesn't help..add this to BW designing fotm classes every patch and you obviously have people coming out with the idea of removing solo ranked. people don't like being farmed , but don't like being forced in groups aswell..they'd just quit pvp'ing and eventually paying.

i'd take in consideration the idea of: solo queue is ranked 8v8 like before, group que is arenas.. at least having 4 veng juggs in the opposite team wouldn't be always an advantage.

the trinity system remains too strong, pve related i love it, but pvp wise is frustrating sometimes.

2v2 would be fun but the forum will explode in whinings.

last, it's obvoius that a sniper will always be LoS'd when possible....why complain?

You go on. I've actually made an argument. You used an 8th grade insult and basically called me a "stupid head." I think I'm winning.

Then again, why should I hold back when my enemy has so openly presented his throat . . .

FACT: As I am writing this the solo leader boards is more than twice the size of the grouped. (I would present actual numbers but the boards seem to be a bit bugged and all I can look at are page numbers.) Even assuming something absurd like 100% overlap, the number of solo players still outnumber the grouped ones by a sizeable margin. I think it's safe to say that any idea that is detrimental to over half the population is not an idea that ought to be taken seriously.

FACT: Back when the only option for ranked was grouped, nobody played it. The mode was abandoned except on one or two servers.

Supposition: I am willing to wager that in the final months of 8v8 ranked that maybe 100 different people were actually playing it. Maybe. With a potential player base of roughly half a million, that's pathetic. Out of a player population of only ten thousand it would still be pathetic.

So, I ask you, why the Hell should the developers go back to a system that not only disenfranchises most of its players but failed miserably in the past?

So should my jugular be slit or was that a hypothetical throat showing?

(now that I got your blood boiling when I get out of my 2:30 meeting I'll actually throw down)

Edited by cycao

So, I ask you, did you actually manage to fit every logical fallacy in one post on purpose or was it an accident?

lol

PvP players tend to take the path of least resistance. If they eliminated solo, its significantly more likely those "solo only" will not move to team ranked. The worst move they made was adding comm rewards. It encourages undergeared players to Que, which fraks up any semblance of competitve credibility.

Ok let's paint a picture of the history of ranked.

At launch, wildly popular and incredibly healthy game. This eventually dies down but populations are at an all time high, now you have ranked warzones yanked hours before they were to go live. This was the first major blow to PvP and the ranked scene as a lot of players quit when this news was released. Fast forward to the first merge, this helped breathe some life into pre-season ranked, though the absolutely dismal class balancing and no actual reason to do ranked they slowly die off. Interests peak after the early summer post "The Summer of SWTOR" which stated the hardcore PvPers finally had something to look forward towards which ended being the removal of ranked which were replaced with arenas.

So the recap: No rewards, no actual matchmaking, no weekly/daily, poorly done balancing which took months to fix and population and a more exclusive queue with an endless preseason the devs killed 8's because they did absolutely nothing to help them.

Now as it stands today. Ranked is wildly more popular than it has ever been which is to be expected given how wildly accessible it is for your every day player thanks to the yolo queue. It's no mystery as to why solo queue has double the players on the leaderboards as any tom, dick and harry can queue up and get rewarded in the terms of easy and fast ranked commendations.

Solo queue is a complete mess. With no gear check, poor matchmaking, poor role matching, quitters, afkers, game throwers, queue dodgers, the "oh, rancor mount I guess I should queue" player and so on and so on it is a complete crap shoot. Certain classes are built for the solo queue, and while most classes/specs can be made to work in grouped ranked given that it's more about synergy than anything else.

That above paragraph is the reason you see posts like "fix solo ranked" or "matchmaking sucks". The idea of a solo queue only is a great idea but it shouldn't reward ranked commendations or any other reward of any kind. Just a solo environment for people who want to do arenas. If you want to play ranked, queue as a group because in my eyes and other players eyes solo queue is a failure.

Stupid head.

So should my jugular be slit or was that a hypothetical throat showing?

Metaphorical, I assure you. How else would characterize someone who has presented an utter void of an argument and then goaded his opposition to continue?

So, I ask you, did you actually manage to fit every logical fallacy in one post on purpose or was it an accident?

lol

Where exactly does my logic fail? Is it the idea that the majority should not be made to suffer for the benefit of a minority or that a failed game mode will fail again for the exact same reasons? Because both of those arguments seem sound to me.

Ok let's paint a picture of the history of ranked.

At launch, wildly popular and incredibly healthy game. This eventually dies down but populations are at an all time high, now you have ranked warzones yanked hours before they were to go live. This was the first major blow to PvP and the ranked scene as a lot of players quit when this news was released. Fast forward to the first merge, this helped breathe some life into pre-season ranked, though the absolutely dismal class balancing and no actual reason to do ranked they slowly die off. Interests peak after the early summer post "The Summer of SWTOR" which stated the hardcore PvPers finally had something to look forward towards which ended being the removal of ranked which were replaced with arenas.

So the recap: No rewards, no actual matchmaking, no weekly/daily, poorly done balancing which took months to fix and population and a more exclusive queue with an endless preseason the devs killed 8's because they did absolutely nothing to help them.

Now as it stands today. Ranked is wildly more popular than it has ever been which is to be expected given how wildly accessible it is for your every day player thanks to the yolo queue. It's no mystery as to why solo queue has double the players on the leaderboards as any tom, dick and harry can queue up and get rewarded in the terms of easy and fast ranked commendations.

Solo queue is a complete mess. With no gear check, poor matchmaking, poor role matching, quitters, afkers, game throwers, queue dodgers, the "oh, rancor mount I guess I should queue" player and so on and so on it is a complete crap shoot. Certain classes are built for the solo queue, and while most classes/specs can be made to work in grouped ranked given that it's more about synergy than anything else.

That above paragraph is the reason you see posts like "fix solo ranked" or "matchmaking sucks". The idea of a solo queue only is a great idea but it shouldn't reward ranked commendations or any other reward of any kind. Just a solo environment for people who want to do arenas. If you want to play ranked, queue as a group because in my eyes and other players eyes solo queue is a failure. .

I will admit that we are in agreement on arenas. I am of the opinion that they never should have been added and have already stated that the best improvement that could be made to ranked would be to add normal warzones. I'll be the first to say that 8v8 ranked should not have been removed altogether. Hell, if I had my way arenas would be removed and all evidence that they were ever part of the game scorched from the Internet: all posts and pages scrubbed from the main site, copyright claims sent to YouTube over any videos showing arenas, cease and desist orders sent to any third part sites that mention them. Of course, that's . . . probably a bit extreme; at the end of the day I have to admit that there are people who like them and that it's wrong to take a game mode away from them just because I -- or even most people -- don't enjoy it.

Hence, why I don't want solo ranked to be removed just because a few people are upset that they keep getting paired with "bad" players. But there is a very simple answer to that complaint: make or find a team and queue for grouped matches. That's why there are two queues -- Hell, that's why there's a third, unranked queue: so you can meet people you like to play with and play together. I understand that there's a random component to solo ranked and I accept that; it's part of the risk of playing with new and different people. As a solo player I am always going to be subject to random forces. Again, if I couldn't accept that I'd find a group to play with.

PvP players tend to take the path of least resistance. If they eliminated solo, its significantly more likely those "solo only" will not move to team ranked. The worst move they made was adding comm rewards. It encourages undergeared players to Que, which fraks up any semblance of competitve credibility.

but those undergeared players now can gear up faster so overtime there will be more geared players playing ranked. also, it all evens out, since both sides have the same chance to get undergeared people in their team.

getting more people to participate in something is never a bad thing.