Ask me anything / Training

Drakkolich

This is a dumb question, but is "mastered" anything more than a synonym for "fully upgraded"? The ship list in-game says that the premium/cartel ships are "always considered mastered," which makes it sound like there's some kind of special benefit or distinction to being mastered, beyond just having all the upgrades. Is that the case, or is that line about "always considered mastered" just meaningless and/or archaic?

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a dumb question, but is "mastered" anything more than a synonym for "fully upgraded"? The ship list in-game says that the premium/cartel ships are "always considered mastered," which makes it sound like there's some kind of special benefit or distinction to being mastered, beyond just having all the upgrades. Is that the case, or is that line about "always considered mastered" just meaningless and/or archaic?

So getting a ship to mastered means completely upgrading one component from each "slot". For example 1 primary weapon, 1 secondary, 1 shield, 1 engine ect..

Once a ship is mastered it gains a permanent 10% extra requisition gain at the end of matchs.

Cartel ships don't start with any extra upgrades compared to the normal ships, they do however start with that 10% requisition gain unlocked right from the start. So all you really get from a cartel ship is 10% more requisition and a different look.

Hope that helps. :)

To add to Drako's comment:

Cartel ships are "silver mastered"- they have a silver icon that says they are mastered, and they get 10% extra req. A non-cartel ship with at least one component in every slot fully upgraded is "gold mastered"- they have a gold icon saying they are mastered, and they gain 10% extra req. This means that a cartel ship needs 13k less requisition than a non-cartel ship to get one component in every set mastered (at most: it is less if you are popping tokens, and everyone does that, so many cartel ships in practice get 6-8k out of this perk total ever).

When people talk about mastered ships, they are ALWAYS (in here) talking about a ship with one of every component type at max. We use the word "complete" to describe a ship with every possible upgrade (not an official term), and the at-most extra 13k req you gain over the lifetime of a cartel ship never really comes up in conversation.

Non cartel ships have a mastery cheeve when you first master them ("gold mastery").

Do you know how to kill Verain? :D

That's easy, get in a wargame vs him in a domination, hopefully he will spawn on the cap ship opposite of the faction hes playing. Then just presure him into running to the cap ship, when he runs to the wrong one the turrets will do your work for you! ^^

<3 Pulcher

In the same line.. Can you teach me how to kill you??? :p

Kill me is easy, rename your character so I don't recognize you or get on a new alt. I have an extremely bad habit of completely not caring about whos shooting at me if I don't recognize the name. I underestimate so many people because of it.

Kill me is easy, rename your character so I don't recognize you or get on a new alt. I have an extremely bad habit of completely not caring about whos shooting at me if I don't recognize the name. I underestimate so many people because of it.

Well.. That's good.. I'm on a new alt (I'm an altholic alt whore, remember).. Just pass on TEH and we will see :p

That's easy, get in a wargame vs him in a domination, hopefully he will spawn on the cap ship opposite of the faction hes playing. Then just presure him into running to the cap ship, when he runs to the wrong one the turrets will do your work for you! ^^

<3 Pulcher

Best tactic of the year! lol :p

It works, I've done it.

Just watch for next match, though. If you're too effective at it, you'll be the primary target of not only this guy, but whoever else he queued with.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it has been posted yet. But since the shadownerf of EMP-Field...is it still a viable choice?

3000m +500m is just freakin' short if I want to use it as a minefieldclearer. Drones don't die instantly because of it, so....just for the debuff?

Should I swap it for TT?

Or is there a narrow field of usefulness for it that I just don't see?

Drakkolich,

I've been reading the GSF forums for a while now trying to get better (I consider myself a beginner with a little experience), and I was so excited to see you pop up in a GSF match last night on Jedi Covenant! As expected you proceeded to slaughter me and my entire Pub team, but scoring a few hits on your scout with my Novadive made my game:)

I've gotten to the point where it feels I am not progressing any more, so I figure there must be something wrong in the way I am approaching it. My general strategy in my Nova is to burn up to a target, hit it with all I have, then engage in a turning match to try to score more hits. Generally this doesn't work as I inevitably do less damage than I receive, but I'm not sure how else to approach it as I don't have enough engine power to burn away and set up another pass. Granted I don't have all the components fully upgraded yet, nor the best crew unlocked yet, but I'd like your thoughts on whether or not I am basically using this ship the right way, or what else I can consider.

Thanks

I don't know if it has been posted yet. But since the shadownerf of EMP-Field...is it still a viable choice?

3000m +500m is just freakin' short if I want to use it as a minefieldclearer. Drones don't die instantly because of it, so....just for the debuff?

Should I swap it for TT?

Or is there a narrow field of usefulness for it that I just don't see?

So I never liked EMP even when it was 4500m range but with this 3000m range I feel like it's just plain awful. Especially because you're a solo queue player for the most part right? I really think EMP is a support ability if you coordinate it with say someone with really big missiles maybe that could work? (But its still not the best thing you could use that kind of coordination for)

Targeting Telemetry is a ton of damage and accuracy and with it being up 50% of the time it's just really good. However don't look past booster recharge on the blackbolt/novadive that's a great ability as well, especially in death match it let you really put those damage overcharges to work.

So as far as clearing mine fields work it still does that but I think if you want a ship to be able to clear mines a charged plating damage reduction build does it better. Basically you just use your face to clear the mines for your team as you only take 1% damage from them with plating up.

Drakkolich,

I've been reading the GSF forums for a while now trying to get better (I consider myself a beginner with a little experience), and I was so excited to see you pop up in a GSF match last night on Jedi Covenant! As expected you proceeded to slaughter me and my entire Pub team, but scoring a few hits on your scout with my Novadive made my game:)

I've gotten to the point where it feels I am not progressing any more, so I figure there must be something wrong in the way I am approaching it. My general strategy in my Nova is to burn up to a target, hit it with all I have, then engage in a turning match to try to score more hits. Generally this doesn't work as I inevitably do less damage than I receive, but I'm not sure how else to approach it as I don't have enough engine power to burn away and set up another pass. Granted I don't have all the components fully upgraded yet, nor the best crew unlocked yet, but I'd like your thoughts on whether or not I am basically using this ship the right way, or what else I can consider.

Thanks

This is really hard to answer without specifics on your ship build so what I'm going to do is assume on the components you picked and if I get anything wrong just let me know and I can reassess.

I'm going to assume you are running Lightlaser , Rocket pods, Targeting Telemetry, Distortion Field, Barrel roll, with Frequency Capacitor, Light weight armor, Regeneration thrusters, Dampening sensors.

With a rocket pod build for the most part you never attack anyone thats attacking you. You always want to get the jump on someone like a gunship or a bomber or even any ship thats getting ready to shoot at someone as when you shoot at someone you stop being evasive for the most part. The idea here is to get the most accuracy out of the godly dps that this build offers.

Turning wars with this build are very very difficult as you can't really use rocket pods in them because of their rediculous tracking penalty. Lights are tricky to use in turning wars as you have to overshoot your opponent and then snap back to take a few shots as it has a rough tracking penalty as well.

So what ends up happening is you just never engage in turning wars you just keep running and shoot at other people, because of this I often swap to booster recharge on this ship just to be able to keep running from target to target.

Now you might use a very different setup I'm just guessing from popular builds and that "you cant hit anything" in turning wars. If you like doing turning wars and want the best ship possible to win them I suggest this.

Sting

Burst laser Cannon

Cluster Missile

Targeting Telemetry

Distortion Field

Retro Thrusters (turning upgrade)

Range capacitor

Large Reactor

Light weight armor

Turning thrusters

This is the best ship ever for turning wars you will never lose a 1v1 of equal skill in this ship. However you will have mobility issues.

Anyways I hope this helps, if I missed something let me know. :)

Now you might use a very different setup I'm just guessing from popular builds and that "you cant hit anything" in turning wars. If you like doing turning wars and want the best ship possible to win them I suggest this.

Sting

Burst laser Cannon

Cluster Missile

Targeting Telemetry

Distortion Field

Retro Thrusters (turning upgrade)

Range capacitor

Large Reactor

Light weight armor

Turning thrusters

This is the best ship ever for turning wars you will never lose a 1v1 of equal skill in this ship. However you will have mobility issues.

Anyways I hope this helps, if I missed something let me know. :)

Just to note, on the Sting build, I've been playing around with letting go of Targeting Telemetry for Booster Recharge, because you get a lot more mobility out of a build like that, and keep the absurd turning rate. I roll with Wingman as the co-pilot ability, because it's Wingman, and especially because I'm letting go of TT. The thing to remember is that this is not a jousting/strafing build. You can outturn pretty much anything that isn't a near mirror to your build, but you do sacrifice burst damage, and someone with BLC + Pods + TT (Or Quads/Pods/TT, or Quads/Pods/BO) will simply tear you up assuming they're any good. Jousting means they have a line on you already, so they just need to be able to aim a bit.

I've been reading the GSF forums for a while now trying to get better (I consider myself a beginner with a little experience), and I was so excited to see you pop up in a GSF match last night on Jedi Covenant! As expected you proceeded to slaughter me and my entire Pub team, but scoring a few hits on your scout with my Novadive made my game :)

Who are you in game? JC's my native server, and I've got mains on both sides. I'd be happy to hop on at some point and go through build strats with you. I usually fly the Sting/Flashfire when it comes to Scouts, but I do still very much love me a Blackbolt/Novadive.

However don't look past booster recharge on the blackbolt/novadive that's a great ability as well, especially in death match it let you really put those damage overcharges to work.

I tried it a couple of weeks ago. I think Ryuku (hope that's correct) told me about it somewhere in this thread and I gave it a try. It worked surprisingly well, but I used it only for bailing out of hot situations. I haven't thought about collecting DO and then delivering it to the enemy. Thus I returned to Disto. Maybe I have to let go off that missile break...

And thanks for the EMP "confirmation"

Lol, that is pretty amazing. You didn't guess my exact setup but are so close that the differences are negligible. I think you hit the nail on the head with the tracking penalty on my pods and lasers. I didn't realize that it was so big, but that would explain why I get a lot of hits on a slow moving target, but once I'm consistently aiming towards the edge of my firing arc I rarely land a hit.

I'll give the hit and run tactic a try. I think the main mistake I am making is to pop my booster regeneration to get to the target, whereas it would be better to save it to make a fast getaway. Too much I find if I want to escape, I have almost no engine power left, making it so I can't even use my barrel roll. I'll also give that sting build a try, to see if that fits my play style.

Thanks and hope to see you more on JC!:)

I tried it a couple of weeks ago. I think Ryuku (hope that's correct) told me about it somewhere in this thread and I gave it a try. It worked surprisingly well, but I used it only for bailing out of hot situations. I haven't thought about collecting DO and then delivering it to the enemy. Thus I returned to Disto. Maybe I have to let go off that missile break...

Booster recharge is the system ability that replaces targeting telemetry not shield to engine converter that replaces distortion field. I will never drop distortion field it is just way too good to give up, I'd much rather give up a dps cooldown for mobility then give up that much defensive power.

Who are you in game? JC's my native server, and I've got mains on both sides. I'd be happy to hop on at some point and go through build strats with you. I usually fly the Sting/Flashfire when it comes to Scouts, but I do still very much love me a Blackbolt/Novadive.

I usually fly as Quldane on the Pub side. I don't GSF every night, but try to keep up a steady pace. I actually just got enough fleet req to purchase a flashfire, so I am excited to try it out! If you see me in a match, give me a shout out, preferably before you blow me out of the stars:rolleyes:. I am always thrilled to get pointers on how to get better.

You can keep Disto. Booster Recharge is a Systems ability. The one you might be thinking of is Shield to Engine Converter, which would take the place of Disto. It's a different effect entirely, but it serves a similar purpose in terms of infinite mobility. Probably does a slightly better job at giving infinite boost than Booster Recharge, but you do lose some survivability because you have to give up Disto break, and using the Shield => Engine Converter does eat away at your shields every time you use it.

I usually fly as Quldane on the Pub side. I don't GSF every night, but try to keep up a steady pace. I actually just got enough fleet req to purchase a flashfire, so I am excited to try it out! If you see me in a match, give me a shout out, preferably before you blow me out of the stars:rolleyes:. I am always thrilled to get pointers on how to get better.

I'll add you to friends, and if I see you online, I'll hit you up. So if you get a random message from "Hawkë", it's me.

If you're talking about me, I probably suggested StE and not Booster. Personally, I love the offensive power and mobility StE gives me... But Booster is good too... You gain a good defense and mobility with quite a bit less offensive power.

If you ever fly on Impside... These days I'm always flying on my JC alt, Kee-Chokk.

If you're talking about me, I probably suggested StE and not Booster. Personally, I love the offensive power and mobility StE gives me... But Booster is good too... You gain a good defense and mobility with quite a bit less offensive power.

Yes, that was you. So I remembered that correctly. I mixed it up with Booster Recharge, when Drakolich mentioned it above. My Mistake.

Drakkolich,

Thanks

Novadive are weak at turning battles. All of the guns you can equip on them have either stiff tracking penalties (LC/LLC), or are just plain weak (RFL). You would be much better off with Flashfire + burst lasers, because those are much better in close quarters (ridiculous accuracy at 500m and very good damage) and at crazy angles (lowest tracking penalty of any weapon) than anything you can put on a Novadive.

With that ship, you have several decent builds:

Laser cannon are good all the way out to 5km, and the tracking penalty on them is pretty good for a medium-range gun. With TT+DF+Wingman/CF+pods, that thing is evil in jousts.

Sabotage probe is evil if you can land it, which isn't easy against a good target. While it's working, the target has a serious evasion penalty and can't turn, which makes it a very easy target. Be careful not to overshoot, because your target will be slowed down quite a bit.

Thermites don't have much of a place on that ship. Still, if you can tag a bomber with one, EMP the mines it drops, and gun it down with your laser of choice... I guess it could work, but it's not very newbie-friendly.