Congratulations Biowares first million

Jett-Rinn

A million registered players are nice, but it doesn't tell us how many subscribers will actually be allowing themselves to be charged with a subscription fee on January 20th. In fact, if anything, we know by that date Bioware will only be able to claim roughly one million subscribers at the most. And that's assuming no one who entered their payment information leaves the game by then (and what are the odds of that).

Whether the number continues to grow from there (and if it even reaches a million subscribers), we'll have to wait for subsequent months to see.

Don't forget, Rift announced 1 million registered players during their headstart period before the game even officially launched. Compare that to where it is today and it's a little soon to be getting excited about anything.

Edited by Apax

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanna know why there is a picture of the owners of bioware smiling?

They just looked at their bank accounts :cool::D

http://www.1up.com/news/ea-louse-blows-lid-old-republic-budget-warhammer-failure

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-05-bioware-it-was-sad-to-read-ea-louse

check that out.

Few other sources are saying they actually spent around $300m making this. And they only get percentage of box sales, $30 at most. At that amount they would need to sell 10m units to break even. 5M if the $150m number is correct.

And Lucas is taking something like one to two thirds of the subscription money.

Short story is, two months from now if they haven't maintained 1m users, they are probably in big trouble.

Edited by ObiQuixote

you HAVE to sub to play your free month....

This is a pointless statistc.

See how many actually pay for a month and how many cancel. Right now I've cancelled mine pending some major game improvements, if they are announced I'll resub, if not I'll play my free month and move on.

you HAVE to sub to play your free month....

This is a pointless statistc.

See how many actually pay for a month and how many cancel. Right now I've cancelled mine pending some major game improvements, if they are announced I'll resub, if not I'll play my free month and move on.

i bet you like to go to little kids birthday parties and right before they blow out the candles you blow them out instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk

Edited by teambff

i bet you like to go to little kids birthday parties and right before they blow out the candles you blow them out instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk

No, I'm just not a moron who will pay a sub for a mediocre game. I pre-ordered in hope, I tried it out and was disappointed.

If you like it, great, sub up. Personally I dont pay for things I dont think are worth it. It could be worth it with some work, but until BW convince me they will make teh necessary changes so that I think its worth a sub, I'll pass thanks.

No, I'm just not a moron who will pay a sub for a mediocre game. I pre-ordered in hope, I tried it out and was disappointed.

If you like it, great, sub up. Personally I dont pay for things I dont think are worth it. It could be worth it with some work, but until BW convince me they will make teh necessary changes so that I think its worth a sub, I'll pass thanks.

that's all fine but i don't understand if someone doesn't like something why they stick around it and continue to trash it... i see it on the imdb forums alot, where people hate a movie or an actor yet they sit around on the forum and post negative things about them... it's a really, really odd thing to me that i don't understand.

i don't like something i tend to move on and find something i do like and focus my energy there.

that's all fine but i don't understand if someone doesn't like something why they stick around it and continue to trash it... i see it on the imdb forums alot, where people hate a movie or an actor yet they sit around on the forum and post negative things about them... it's a really, really odd thing to me that i don't understand.

i don't like something i tend to move on and find something i do like and focus my energy there.

People only like it if everyone else does.

Personally I think in time, TOR will reach a large player database much like WoW has.

I don't think that anyone will have the reign that blizzard held though.

Going to need a lot of help sustaining those numbers with so many missing features. I hope Bioware can, but...game needs a lot of work. Warhammer Online also his 1 million subscribers at one point. Hitting 1 million with the initial release is nothing. Sustaining those numbers when most people are level 50 is what's impressive. That will show whether or not the omission of certain current generation features was worth it.

trashing is not good.

But postign out of a frustration thatt the game you have looked forward to and paid for (and you have to have paid to post here) could be made better and not be such a disappointment is fair enough.

People only like it if everyone else does.

Personally I think in time, TOR will reach a large player database much like WoW has.

I don't think that anyone will have the reign that blizzard held though.

warcraft was just an anomaly, it just hit at the right time (and appealed to so many different people in terms of being easy to get into and being easy to run on low end machines, etc) where alot of people sort of jumped on the mmo bandwagon at the time.. even alot of people who don't normally play the type of game... i doubt we will ever see another mmo accomplish the same thing, it's just one of those freak things that happens where something is in the right place at the right time.

to put this game in movie terms i've always expected it to be more of a indie type of movie rather than a blockbuster.. any time you have a franchise name... you are excluding alot of people right off the bat which really limits you.. like right away anyone who doesn't really care for star wars is out.. that's it, where a game with an unknown name to it a person might be more inclined to give it a chance.

then being a game so heavily focused on story really puts some people off.

to be a massive blockbuster you have to appeal to literally every single person, everywhere.

this game doesn't have that luxury so i never expect it to be a blockbuster.

Edited by teambff

My GF and I are really enjoying the game, it is a great game.

For an mmo at launch it is really stable. Though I cannot wait for GPU drivers to incorporate the game. Even more performance is expected! Best latency I have seen in an MMO as well, that is something that needs to be said!

This is the most fun I have had playing an MMO. I can see that I will have a lot of fun to come. The game is not without flaws, and needs improvements in many areas, but as a somewhat intelligent person, I realized that there is going to be problems and flaws in a game (of this magnitude) at launch!

Congrats to Bioware for making a fantastic MMO.

And 1 month after the game is launched more content will already be added, new planet and warzones.

I will not cancel my subscription after our one free month is up. I want to ride this TOR thing out for a long time, because I do have faith that Bioware/EA will deliver some great things with this game!

Until Bioware/EA stop improving and adding content to the game, I will continue to thoroughly enjoy it.

Edited by lach

http://www.1up.com/news/ea-louse-blows-lid-old-republic-budget-warhammer-failure

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-05-bioware-it-was-sad-to-read-ea-louse

check that out.

Few other sources are saying they actually spent around $300m making this. And they only get percentage of box sales, $30 at most. At that amount they would need to sell 10m units to break even. 5M if the $150m number is correct.

And Lucas is taking something like one to two thirds of the subscription money.

Short story is, two months from now if they haven't maintained 1m users, they are probably in big trouble.

Rumours and speculations.

The only fact present in this whole situation is this - LucasArts will only start taking their share of money AFTER the full cost of SWTOR has been recovered. It's in their contract.

You've yet to get me the numbers on WoWs day 3 subscriber rate.

Also, consider if you will. popularity=/= quality.

Things popular in todays(american) society.

Justin bieber

Kesha

Lady gaga

sagging pants

world of warcraft

Edited by acheros

Thank you for repeating what I just said.

If I was unclear, the reason why I, personally, am unimpressed with 1 million is because WoW BLEW UP the MMO scene, whereas it was a hardcore only type of thing in 2004. WoW did it through hard work, a great dev team, and innovation.

SWTOR had this thing gift wrapped by slapping a Star Wars name on it.

GIFT. WRAPPED.

Yesterday was quite a day here in Austin. We likely had the largest one-day subscription account registration process in MMO history – over one million people are now registered players of the game, and the number is growing rapidly.

I am IMPRESSED. Not Unimpressed, sorry if i gave you the wrong impression.

The only fact present in this whole situation is this - LucasArts will only start taking their share of money AFTER the full cost of SWTOR has been recovered. It's in their contract.

And its safe to say they made that money allready. So much for the game failing.

You've yet to get me the numbers on WoWs day 3 subscriber rate.

Also, consider if you will. popularity=/= quality.

Things popular in todays(american) society.

Justin bieber

Kesha

Lady gaga

sagging pants

world of warcraft

people can hate lady gaga/bieber/warcraft/sagging pants all they want but these things do have quality.

all of them have their pros.

keisha or whatever i'm not so sure about i only know of her one song so i don't know enough to judge... but the others i'm very familiar with.

to say bieber/gaga don't have any talent is just blind hating with no substance.

and who doesn't like to let their pants sag sometimes, i mean really.

people can hate lady gaga/bieber/warcraft/sagging pants all they want but these things do have quality.

all of them have their pros.

keisha or whatever i'm not so sure about i only know of her one song so i don't know enough to judge... but the others i'm very familiar with.

to say bieber/gaga don't have any talent is just blind hating with no substance.

and who doesn't like to let their pants sag sometimes, i mean really.

Justin bieber only has one song..Okay, he has lots of songs, but they're all about the exact same thing. Thats not talent.

Kesha is just another pop star who sings about getting drunk and clubbing..You know..like every other pop star.

Lady gaga is just an attention whore with slight musical talent..She has a good voice, but no real talent to speak of.

Sagging pants are for douche bags. Nuff said.

http://www.gamesbrief.com/2010/10/ea-louse-you-are-no-ea-spouse-your-pettiness-is-shocking/

This right up was pretty interesting, one because it was defending EA, but mostly because the comments came from people in the industry. Some of which appeared to be very familiar with the situation.

I can see this as more true than not. I find too many things in this game that appear to be the product of an atmosphere of mismanagement and fear. Game design by corporate board room. Too many thing that make me go, "I've been in that meeting, the one that produced the horrible decision to do that."