The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I am a Keyboard Turner

MCaliban

I remapped A and D to strafe left and strafe right and unbound S. It's now my kinetic ward.

The first WZ I queued was a mess. Several times I just stood there while fighting because I was pressing S. Other times I would try to turn and my character would just go running off somewhere.

This will take time to get used to. Better eat some fish and blueberries to help my brain relearn. :cool:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I have a question. I do keybind some of my abilties but I still move with the keys. Tell me how do you run and use the keyboard as well? I mean what do you press?

Hold Right click your mouse to change directions, hold left click too move forward.

Grab a Razer Naga and you wont know how you played without one...

Inb4 Logitech herp derp...

This. I started TOR as a keyboard turning clicker, then progressed to keybinds and now have a Naga. It's helped a great deal.

I remapped A and D to strafe left and strafe right and unbound S. It's now my kinetic ward.

The first WZ I queued was a mess. Several times I just stood there while fighting because I was pressing S. Other times I would try to turn and my character would just go running off somewhere.

This will take time to get used to. Better eat some fish and blueberries to help my brain relearn. :cool:

The saying "practice makes perfect" applies here. You won't get used to it unless you stick with it. But once you do your gameplay will show marked improvement, I guarantee it.

Edited by Pwnboy

I had one but walked around the house in socks and built up some static charge. One little shock and it stopped working. They wouldn't replace it and told me to buy a new one.

There are aa lot of competitors that have multiple buttons and don't cost $70.

Ok so I have a question. I do keybind some of my abilties but I still move with the keys. Tell me how do you run and use the keyboard as well? I mean what do you press?

Hold both left and right mouse buttons to move forward. Hold the right button only to turn your char. Hold the left button only to turn your camera. Don't let anyone tell you mice with a lot of buttons are necessary, they're not and they're definitely not for everyone.

Ultimately it all comes down to personal preference and what makes you comfortable. I've seen both kb turners and cllickers play without an issue and acceptable response times. Humans are extremely good at adapting and will always find ways to make due with what's available.

I use a Razer Naga personally, which really makes my gaming considerably easier than moving al over the keyboard. I do, however, still use the keyboard to turn left and right (though I avoid backpedaling as much as possible; unbinding it hadn't occurred to me) and up until I came across this thread by chance I didn't even know it was considered bad gameplay.

Although I do sometimes use the mouse to turn, I avoid it during heated moments like PvP matches. Mainly because, for some reason, my eyes can't catch the movement of the pointer when I move the mouse around, particularly when it becomes invisible when right-click turning; and when I need to use the mouse for something important like, say, attack the guy right in front of me or cap a node, I spend 2 - 4 seconds figuring out where the pointer is so I can actually click. It was especially bad when playing stuff like LoL, being unable to last-hit properly or clicking wrong targets.

I have mostly gotten around it by overly depending on Tab for target selecting, and keybinding to R and F to target the nearest enemy. But then I wanted to try out some of the things suggested here and by unbinding keyboard turning I'm fearing the possibility of doing poorly in PvP for not being able to spot the pointer on the screen fast enough and help the team properly. I don't suppose MMO veterans or PvP champs have any tips or suggestions on how to overcome this? Or am I just an isolated case?

"Losing the cursor" by mouse turning and the delay caused by trying to find it again is a problem primarily (quite possibly only) because you're still trying to click on abilities.

Another suggestion I could make for learning keybinds: Start a new toon of the class you wish to keybind. Even if it's the same as your main. No, seriously. And then before you so much as take a step forward following the opening cinematic, go into preferences, change movement binds to W-forward, A/D-strafe left/right, remove S. Bind your attacks however you wish but get them off of clicking. Bind keystrokes to abilities on your quickbars and then shove those quickbars to a forgotten corner of your UI if you must.

Whenever your alt trains new abilities, keybind that new ability immediately. That way you can learn keybinding in bite size chunks without ever having to click. The location of the cursor then becomes not relevant and you don't have to waste time in the middle of PVP matches looking for a "dropped cursor."

Learn to play with mouse turning and keybinds on a keyboard or better a Logitech g13 game device or a razer orb weaver The thumb stick its awesome for strafing circles with mouse turning

And the compact keypad makes key binding with modifiers a breeze like 1-7 Then shift 1-7

Having read several posts, I've noticed that 'keyboard turning' is a bad thing.

When I PvP, I usually move with WASD and then click abilities with my mouse. Is this bad?

Why is it bad?

What am I supposed to do?

There are many Instructional YouTube videos on how and why for keybinding. Simple search of SWTOR keybind should do the trick. I suggest you do a few abilities at a time to get used to it.

Edited by MotorCityMan

Having read several posts, I've noticed that 'keyboard turning' is a bad thing.

When I PvP, I usually move with WASD and then click abilities with my mouse. Is this bad?

Why is it bad?

What am I supposed to do?

Its not bad, if you like doing that then keep doing it :)

I use mouse and do more dps then the whole group (most of the time).

Key bindings are, not useful to me .

Edited by kirbyshocksword

What convinced me to drop wasd was a little test.

Go to your toon, click on A and have a look how fast it turns. Now take the mouse, right click and spin around your char.

After this little test, I changed from wasd to mouse turn and I would bet, everybody else testing it, will do it as well.

I use a hotas and rudder pedals to play. Is that bad?

I have a 24" touchscreen and voice recognition software.

I just look really hard at the skill bars and eventually the abilities activate.

I drag my sweaty hairy palms all over the screen to move.

I yell out the names of the target to target them. It's hard when they have special characters...

Am I playing to my optimum potential?

"Losing the cursor" by mouse turning and the delay caused by trying to find it again is a problem primarily (quite possibly only) because you're still trying to click on abilities.

Another suggestion I could make for learning keybinds: Start a new toon of the class you wish to keybind. Even if it's the same as your main. No, seriously. And then before you so much as take a step forward following the opening cinematic, go into preferences, change movement binds to W-forward, A/D-strafe left/right, remove S. Bind your attacks however you wish but get them off of clicking. Bind keystrokes to abilities on your quickbars and then shove those quickbars to a forgotten corner of your UI if you must.

Whenever your alt trains new abilities, keybind that new ability immediately. That way you can learn keybinding in bite size chunks without ever having to click. The location of the cursor then becomes not relevant and you don't have to waste time in the middle of PVP matches looking for a "dropped cursor."

That's the thing though; I've used keybinds since I started playing back in December 2012. All of my abilities have keybinds except for the class buffs and out-of-combat recovery (and unrelated to PvP, quick travel and my speeder are unbound). Are these abilities commonly used with keybinding as well?

Also, if "clicking" is considered subpar, does that include clicking on targets to attack? I know there's Focus Target (which I still need to get used to, maybe get a keybinding that feels comfortable) and I know cycling targets through tabs can be a little annoying. Is this what we're expected to do as PvPers? What about nodes/doors/huttballs? Do those have their own keybinds to avoid having to click on them?

I will take your suggestion on binding strafing to A and D, and disabling S, though I do lack the free time to make a new character and level him/her fast enough to be of much use while still keeping in touch with my main.

Also, if "clicking" is considered subpar, does that include clicking on targets to attack? I know there's Focus Target (which I still need to get used to, maybe get a keybinding that feels comfortable) and I know cycling targets through tabs can be a little annoying. Is this what we're expected to do as PvPers? What about nodes/doors/huttballs? Do those have their own keybinds to avoid having to click on them?

Nodes/doors/huttballs all must be clicked. Spam that click!

Targetting via keybind is tough to master, because of the tab-targetting system. It's far superior though, if you're prone to "lose" your cursor.

I use scroll down / scroll up for "Nearest Target" and "Next Target", then I have "Cycle Targets In Screen Space" turned ON. I also have some other option for cycling left-to-right turned ON.

This means that the yahoo directly in front of me will be targeted with my scroll-down, reliably every time. The guy next to him will be targeted next when I scroll-up. If I absolutely need a specific person, and it's a voidstar door clusterfrack, then I click them.

I can switch targets and fire off an ability faster than most people can even decide who their next target is. I swivel the camera to face them, and scroll down. Bam, target acquired, ordnance incoming!

I LOVE mezzing stealthers this way. They pass by me thinking they'll be unseen and I immediately target them, hit tech override and concussion charge - they're instantly long-mezzed, while still in stealth, so my teammates DON'T BREAK THE MEZ since they can't see the stealther. Alternatively, I just hit them with stockstrike...then they lose their stealth, and can't move. Then I drop a stealth scan right on them, because their first instinct is usually to force-stealth again.

Fun times.

I didn't realize how hard core the community was when it came to keyboards and such. I better step my game up. I watched some videos and see them doing so crazy s***. Now I kind of know why lol.

Good for you man, knowledge is definitely power... It's the people that don't take the time to watch stuff and learn, then see these things applied in a WZ or something and call "haxxorz!!!!11" that are the ultimate facepalms...

I appreciate the replies so far. Getting a Naga Razer sounds like a good idea if I continue to play PvP.

I've started keybinding a few of my more useful skills.

I watched a keybinding video that said you should unbind your 'backpedal' key so you learn not to do that. Has anyone done so? Is it useful?

Yes that's the best and only way to get unused of back peddling but on its own is not enough. In addition you have to bind strafe left/right also and get used to move with these. Basically even a 10 sterling mouse with 2-side buttons for binding strafe left/right is good enough. I personally play with a sharkoon drakonia and keyboard bindings as I didn't want to spend more money for a naga or any other similar gaming mouse. I don't know how much better it would be but I haven't really noticed for myself to have major issues with my keybindings, probably only when I want to pop in pve adrenal/and two other boost abilities which again I could potentially rebind them in a better sequence.

Another move to practice is jump and mouse turn which is useful for some classes, in particular kiters. What class are you playing?

This is a good guide for people to illustrate how to adopt strafing and keybinds I passed it along just this weekend to someone trying to learn not to back pedal to leap because it kills me a little inside everytime I see it. However there's nothing better then force speed back pedal.

Force speed strafe.

Learn to play with mouse turning and keybinds on a keyboard or better a Logitech g13 game device or a razer orb weaver The thumb stick its awesome for strafing circles with mouse turning

And the compact keypad makes key binding with modifiers a breeze like 1-7 Then shift 1-7

^ this. G13 rocks. Gaming mouse helps too (i just got one). Also found (some) use for backpedaling: being chased? Mouse around into a backpedal for a second, low slash/stun/grenade, mouse around and keep going. Also make sure to bind targeting so u don't have to click on those slippery toons! I use "tgt nearest" mostly. Same can be done for allies if guard swapping or healing in quick emergencies and ops frames are too far away.

Edited by Lanzend

Nodes/doors/huttballs all must be clicked. Spam that click!

Targetting via keybind is tough to master, because of the tab-targetting system. It's far superior though, if you're prone to "lose" your cursor.

I use scroll down / scroll up for "Nearest Target" and "Next Target", then I have "Cycle Targets In Screen Space" turned ON. I also have some other option for cycling left-to-right turned ON.

This means that the yahoo directly in front of me will be targeted with my scroll-down, reliably every time. The guy next to him will be targeted next when I scroll-up. If I absolutely need a specific person, and it's a voidstar door clusterfrack, then I click them.

I can switch targets and fire off an ability faster than most people can even decide who their next target is. I swivel the camera to face them, and scroll down. Bam, target acquired, ordnance incoming!

I LOVE mezzing stealthers this way. They pass by me thinking they'll be unseen and I immediately target them, hit tech override and concussion charge - they're instantly long-mezzed, while still in stealth, so my teammates DON'T BREAK THE MEZ since they can't see the stealther. Alternatively, I just hit them with stockstrike...then they lose their stealth, and can't move. Then I drop a stealth scan right on them, because their first instinct is usually to force-stealth again.

Fun times.

When you're referring to scroll up and down, you mean the mouse wheel, and not the Page Up/Down on the keyboard, right? I use the default zoom bindings on the wheel since every time I instance somewhere my zoom resets and I have to zoom out to get a better view of what's going on during a wz. Though I suppose I could bind the zoom to Page Up/Down since I don't think those keys are used at all.

And where are the options for Cycle Targets in Screen Space? I might have those turned on but I won't be able to play the game for a few days so I can't check the preferences and options right now.

When you're referring to scroll up and down, you mean the mouse wheel, and not the Page Up/Down on the keyboard, right? I use the default zoom bindings on the wheel since every time I instance somewhere my zoom resets and I have to zoom out to get a better view of what's going on during a wz. Though I suppose I could bind the zoom to Page Up/Down since I don't think those keys are used at all.

And where are the options for Cycle Targets in Screen Space? I might have those turned on but I won't be able to play the game for a few days so I can't check the preferences and options right now.

Using alt/shift/ctrl+mouse wheel up/down, if you like zoom in or out on a regular basis, would probably be more convenient than page up/down and should be easier to get used to.

Edited by nzologic

Inb4 Logitech herp derp...

Razr Naga Epic to be exact (wireless). I've always moved with wasd, but those buttions are hotkey'ed in combination with the alt button as well ..