The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I am a Keyboard Turner

MCaliban

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read several posts, I've noticed that 'keyboard turning' is a bad thing.

When I PvP, I usually move with WASD and then click abilities with my mouse. Is this bad?

Why is it bad?

What am I supposed to do?

The best is to keybind your abilities and use the keyboard for abilities and the mouse for moving and turning.

Personally, I use keys for some and mouse for others. The more I use keybindings the better I do.

Its mostly about reaction speed, if you click and keyboard turn then you will be slow and will be defeated by most players who can act faster then you. Take a look at a few pvp movies and you will see how fast a non clicker plays and then compare that to how you play yourself. You will quickly see the difference.

My suggestion is that you try and keybind every ability that you use and sooner or later you rmuscle memory will do the rest.

Change your Keybinds for your abilities to bindings you can access smoothly. Right clicking your mouse will change the direction of your character faster than "a" "d" .

What you want to invest in if you want to move more fluid is the Razer Naga. It will allow you to turn faster, and if you are right handed it is especially good for offensive ability keybindings taking away the need to actually click on the ability.

I happen to use the Razer Nostromo gamepad for my left hand, and the Razer Naga mouse. It takes awhile to get used to, but when you do master these tools you can do multiple things at once very smooth.

Start slow with your keybinding. Get your main skills linked to easily reachable keys and practice with those. Then slowly add more. The more of your toolset you can reach via muscle memory the better you will be. It's a really marked difference in performance.

I taught myself keybinding gradually.

My first binds were abilities that are off the global cooldown (like medpacs/defensive cooldowns/escapes) as they benefit the most from the faster reaction time that keybinding allows.

Next was binding ground-targeted stuff (grenades, revivification, etc) as the binds also greatly speed up anything ground-targeted. This was even more true before 2.7 offered us the ability to directly target ground-target abilities at the feet of the intended target.

Then when I was able to work some overtime I got myself a Razer Naga and keybound the rest. I can use overload with much more precision now. :D

I appreciate the replies so far. Getting a Naga Razer sounds like a good idea if I continue to play PvP.

I've started keybinding a few of my more useful skills.

I watched a keybinding video that said you should unbind your 'backpedal' key so you learn not to do that. Has anyone done so? Is it useful?

I appreciate the replies so far. Getting a Naga Razer sounds like a good idea if I continue to play PvP.

I've started keybinding a few of my more useful skills.

I watched a keybinding video that said you should unbind your 'backpedal' key so you learn not to do that. Has anyone done so? Is it useful?

It is one of the best things you could do. And then you can laugh at all the sorcs who love to Force Speed backpedal :D

Backpedal moves slower than normal movement, that is why it is wrong. You should just rotate with the mouse and always strafe/move forward. Unbind the S, because that is the only way you can learn not to backpedal, doesn't matter how much you think you are not using it, you are. I unbound it, and since I first did that, this is the first thing I do on any new character I create. It helps a lot. And gives you one more key to keybind something useful. In my case - knockbacks, stuns, etc, depends on class.

When I PvP, I usually move with WASD and then click abilities with my mouse. Is this bad?

Why is it bad?

Hah you noob. Fcking casuals. Get rid of life, man. You probably do sports and have a girlfriend, you pathetic lifer. I don't even use mouse anymore, i control the game telepathically so, like, get on my level, loser.

Nah but seriously, this is a major disadvantage in PvP, you should definetly learn to turn/look around with mouse, and bind you abilities to hotkeys - this way you can react much faster. Especially when it comes to interrupting an ability or popping some sort of CC - good interrupt or well timed stun is often difference between wining and losing a fight!

taugrim wrote a really good guide on keybinds a few years back:

http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/

This is a good guide for people to illustrate how to adopt strafing and keybinds I passed it along just this weekend to someone trying to learn not to back pedal to leap because it kills me a little inside everytime I see it. However there's nothing better then force speed back pedal.

I keyboard turned and clicked for like 5 years and saw no problem with it. However, I decided to challenge myself and learnt he bindings. For about a month, I played worse than clicking. But after a while, you get comfortable with it, and the muscle memory becomes second nature. Once that happens your skill level surpasses, by far, what you can do with clicking.

This is a good guide for people to illustrate how to adopt strafing and keybinds I passed it along just this weekend to someone trying to learn not to back pedal to leap because it kills me a little inside everytime I see it. However there's nothing better then force speed back pedal.

force speed back pedal is actually a really good taunt in voidstar offense, nobody can resist hunting down the back peddling sage, and a stealther can cap behind ;-)

My biggest respect for the OP.... i have seen a couple of threads you made, and it is good that you ask those questions to get better. And most of the replies are also pretty helpful.

In general i would say melee classes benefit the most from keybinding and mouse turning, especially if you have positional requirements. This is not to say, that is isn't helpfull for ranged and healers as well.

General advice goes, to bind defensive CDs first and then successively more abilites. The learning curve isnt as steap as many people think, but it is just an easier transition than just starting with a complete set of bindings.

Also keep your main abilities close together so for a smooth rotation through the core abilities of your spec.

What really helps is actually leveling a character and successively bind your new abilities. Also a bit of PvE doesn't hurt to get more comfortable.

Mouse turning takes a bit to get used to as well. Yet again, you don't exclusively have to practice this in PvP at first.

Lastlly you will bind tactical markets and focus and aquire target to suitable keybind, but this already a bit advanced and i suspect a question on this in further post.

Why is it bad?

Reaction speed. Using your mouse allows you to have quicker timing. Unbound S and practice moving with your mouse, it truly makes things easier on yourself.

Change your Keybinds for your abilities to bindings you can access smoothly. Right clicking your mouse will change the direction of your character faster than "a" "d" .

What you want to invest in if you want to move more fluid is the Razer Naga. It will allow you to turn faster, and if you are right handed it is especially good for offensive ability keybindings taking away the need to actually click on the ability.

I happen to use the Razer Nostromo gamepad for my left hand, and the Razer Naga mouse. It takes awhile to get used to, but when you do master these tools you can do multiple things at once very smooth.

I use the Nostromo as well. It is great. I use it for every game I play. In fact now if I don't have it, I feel like I am moving in slow motion using the keyboard.

I use a Razer Naga personally, which really makes my gaming considerably easier than moving al over the keyboard. I do, however, still use the keyboard to turn left and right (though I avoid backpedaling as much as possible; unbinding it hadn't occurred to me) and up until I came across this thread by chance I didn't even know it was considered bad gameplay.

Although I do sometimes use the mouse to turn, I avoid it during heated moments like PvP matches. Mainly because, for some reason, my eyes can't catch the movement of the pointer when I move the mouse around, particularly when it becomes invisible when right-click turning; and when I need to use the mouse for something important like, say, attack the guy right in front of me or cap a node, I spend 2 - 4 seconds figuring out where the pointer is so I can actually click. It was especially bad when playing stuff like LoL, being unable to last-hit properly or clicking wrong targets.

I have mostly gotten around it by overly depending on Tab for target selecting, and keybinding to R and F to target the nearest enemy. But then I wanted to try out some of the things suggested here and by unbinding keyboard turning I'm fearing the possibility of doing poorly in PvP for not being able to spot the pointer on the screen fast enough and help the team properly. I don't suppose MMO veterans or PvP champs have any tips or suggestions on how to overcome this? Or am I just an isolated case?

I use WASD but I have A and D bound to strafe instead of turning. I turn with the mouse but move with those keys.

I bind a combination of keys around WASD with those of highest priority and frequency of use closest and those less often used are shift-keys or further away.

:cool: