Is one mega server for the whole game possible? I would love that

Macetheace

There are servers all over the world and NO we don't need people who don't speak the same language forced onto the same servers.

the server location is not really relevant except for putting you in a place that you have the lowest latency.. The issue arises with French speakers and German speakers.

but, hte mega server can have a solution that will be a boon to such players, especially french canadians who are kinda left to have to play with the english north american players and must form private guilds to speak french.

Here is what could happen: Log on will detect whether you are using the French, English or German client. and like it does for pvp/pve/RP it would put you exclusively with people of the same client. However, if you are conversant enough with ENglish and desire a wider people you can opt to have the mega-server give you access to English client users in which case it will now consider grouping your characters with players running other language clients.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that can be solved in several ways.

Option 1:

Instead of server selection, when you log on, you can choose one of 3 options:

1. pvp

2. pvE

3. RP

it will then group instances in that category and you will zone in to an instance dedicated to that rule set. Furthermore, when you check the instances, they will sort them according to pvE, pvp, RP - next to the number - this can be either the text indicating or using colour code. Pvp instances will be color coded red when you check your map, pvE ones will be colour coded yellow, and RP colour coded Green.

Option 2.

PvP and PvE are really only a matter on whether pvp is by defualt on or by defuault off, and you can set that, no need to separate instances or anything like that, by selecting pvp, all it does is toggle the option in your settings to default you on for pvp, and will try to put you with people who have that on. Same with RP select RP, it will bunch you to instances with people who have that option selected just like it does when it determines your location, you logging on from Europe? the physical server that will handle your character would be one closest to your location. Even if you switch to a pvp instance or a pVE one or RP it wil select one that is generated by a server location closest to you.

The only exception is if you physically jump to a groups instance, in which case you will be in the location that the group leader is operating from, but as soona s you leave group and zone to anew area, you will be once more handled by your nearest server.

No thanks, the option to avoid PvP is called a PvE server. The moment players have those options to avoid PvP would the moment I leave th game. You suggestions are just for carebears!

Actually, there is likely no way to run an MMO on 1 server. They probably don't have individual "servers" such as "The Ebon Hawk", "T3-M4" etc. These are most likely namespaces that cover a cluster of virtual servers running in their data center.

The game's universe exists over a number of virtual servers and all users occupy a particular instance of the world on one of these virtual servers.

I think what you mean is to consolidate all the namespaces into one, and have the game universe exist on one set of virtual servers. They could do that but as others have pointed out, they would suffer from poor performance, latency issues and lengthy outages during maintenance.

Actually, there is likely no way to run an MMO on 1 server. They probably don't have individual "servers" such as "The Ebon Hawk", "T3-M4" etc. These are most likely namespaces that cover a cluster of virtual servers running in their data center.

The game's universe exists over a number of virtual servers and all users occupy a particular instance of the world on one of these virtual servers.

I think what you mean is to consolidate all the namespaces into one, and have the game universe exist on one set of virtual servers. They could do that but as others have pointed out, they would suffer from poor performance, latency issues and lengthy outages during maintenance.

Actually, I think there are servers dedicated to one particular server. For example, the hamsters that power The Harbinger (I think it is harbinger, correct me if I am wrong) often drop dead... if it all was on some virtual server spread across multiple machines, it would probably not happen.

Could you imagine gen chat- especially on fleet and starter planets? So many entries flying by= unreadable. All the trolls consolidated=no fun at all. Group finder might pop better because more people would be forced to it because of chat itself.

Actually, I think there are servers dedicated to one particular server. For example, the hamsters that power The Harbinger (I think it is harbinger, correct me if I am wrong) often drop dead... if it all was on some virtual server spread across multiple machines, it would probably not happen.

The server is in california, so there is probably some hamster labor laws in play here which makes The Harbinger treat us to dump outs more often.

Ok....pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject, but what's the difference between a RP-PvE server and a regular PvE server? I always figured the RP'ers just had detailed player created stories. Why would a RP'er not want played on a regular PvE or PvP server?

RP probably wouldn't want to be on a PvP server because they don't want to deal with the open-world ganking.

RP probably would prefer to play on a server designated RP because it theoretically acts as a gathering place for role players. Plus there's just a difference in humanity between PvE-RP and PvE designated servers. Maybe it's not so blatant in this game, but compare and contrast, say, Hellscream to Argent Dawn in WoW. HUGE difference.

If this were truly how the backend were structured, it would mean that every time we group with people on the same server, that likely there would be some sort of backend transfer involved when we transition into instances so that all group members end up in the same instance. It would also mean that things like cross server queuing would already exist, because it's almost the same tech. So based on the fact that we don't have and don't appear to be close to having cross server queues, I'm going to bet that each of the servers are physical pieces of equipment, and not clusters in any significant way.

exactly, i was thinking that this is exactly how a mega server would work, it would be a virtual server spread across all the server assets, they could alternatively also make it an actual one too. I won't be the engineer working on it, but i would say it could be done one way or another

Ping would be a factor. I'd be happy to give up being on a PvP server to have more people, so I'd have no issues with one server per region (US East, US West, etc.). Much higher populations and it's not like the populations are so high on servers right now that we'd constantly be at heavy pop or anything.

Inability to communicate. Didn't think I would need to spell it out for anyone.

Theoretically the exact same crowd they communicate with now would still be there to communicate with them...this only increases the pool of players, it doesn't change the language they're allowed to type in...

Theoretically the exact same crowd they communicate with now would still be there to communicate with them...this only increases the pool of players, it doesn't change the language they're allowed to type in...

Not only that, has anyone tried communicating in game with those who do speak our language lately? not a pretty sight. At least if it's in a foreign language that gibberish would be explainable.

BS. I'd be getting stuck with a group of German or French speaking players or they might get stuck with an English speaking player. operations and Flashpoints, even PvP are about Teamwork. When the tank who doesn't understand or respond to the other players telling him he's doing something wrong gets vote kicked, he isn't going to be happy about being stuck through group finder with people who don't speak his language. Not to mention the latency difference of having players from he other side of the planet connected to your local server. You think people don't complain too much already about people "not listening" in PvP? What if they just don't understand your words?

We need separate servers for language & latency, not to mention rule sets such as PvP & PvE.

BS. I'd be getting stuck with a group of German or French speaking players or they might get stuck with an English speaking player. operations and Flashpoints, even PvP are about Teamwork. When the tank who doesn't understand or respond to the other players telling him he's doing something wrong gets vote kicked, he isn't going to be happy about being stuck through group finder with people who don't speak his language. Not to mention the latency difference of having players from he other side of the planet connected to your local server. You think people don't complain too much already about people "not listening" in PvP? What if they just don't understand your words?

We need separate servers for language & latency, not to mention rule sets such as PvP & PvE.

What? Y'all talk to other people in-game? Weird. :D

Just because your biased against playing with someone who doesn't speak YOUR language doesn't mean everyone is. I speak French...poorly...but enough to communicate basic words. And quite honestly, the only words I generally see in any FP group I join through GF is "Thanks" at the end...it's not nearly the issue you make it out to be. If people not speaking your language bothers you so much, add em to /ignore and you never have to deal with em again.

Just because your biased against playing with someone who doesn't speak YOUR language doesn't mean everyone is. I speak French...poorly...but enough to communicate basic words. And quite honestly, the only words I generally see in any FP group I join through GF is "Thanks" at the end...it's not nearly the issue you make it out to be. If people not speaking your language bothers you so much, add em to /ignore and you never have to deal with em again.

exactly right TuX, and not only that, it won't be hard for an option to exist to have the server only group you with people running the same client as you. Which means that when you don't mind there being a language difference, you untick that option, so you can access a wider pool of player.

GSF example is perfect, no one ever speaks in those, no one cares what language you speak. and the so called communication problem the other two guys are referring to, is part and parcel of the EU english speaking realms where a lot of europeans that speak different languages have to play on the same english speaking realms, this isn't new to star wars, it's on every MMO, but if you only play on north american servers you'd have no idea that people do find a way to get by despite language difficulties. the concern only remains for the languages there is a separate client for, and that's solved by smart option. A mega server can create instance of only one language type, just as it can be told to put people in instances that apply the pvp rule set or the pvE ruleset.

and if you can do that , you can give the player the option to let the server place them only in their specifically desired environments or to extend their options place them in any. PvE /Pvp distinction would only apply to planet zones, and not instances or warzones because these environments are specifically pve or pvp. RP, French, German though can apply to both warzones or flashpoints/ops so those selections would affect your queue pop for warzones or flashpoints.

I would be highly against it. I wouldn't want the server be classified as PvE whether it would show up or not on the screen, and it probably would be due to the high amount of casuals/bads that play this game. Have one mega PvP server and one mega PvE server. Please.

Oh @#%$^ NO to that! This a bad idea for so many reason. Just imagine the $#@^ storm it would be when folks lose their favorite character's names because of a mega merge.

The only way it would work would be two servers one for PVE and one for PVP. And they would have to change the name rules to be account based like in Cryptic's games instead of unique to server (which they need to do anyway IMO).

There are language and physical location needs for multiple servers.

But a better design is to have character available globally (not tied to a server) and global unique naming. Then players can decide which server to logon freely. The dev can increase or reduce server anytime based on demand. Let the market decide.

Too late now for any change.

Edited by Banegio

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.