The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy Based Cosmetic Appearance Tabs

EnkiduNineEight

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You realize they would never do this right? It kills one of their major credit sinks in-game.

Still, I do like your idea alot. Good luck.

I'd love to see the actual numbers. In my own anecdotal observation most folks once they hit 55 rarely change the look of their equipment. Lower level players wearing blues and greens change their look all the time because they are forced to. Lower leveled folks wearing moddable equipment have a unified look through most of their lifecycle.

There was never an intended tax on changing your appearance (otherwise binding new equipment to you would cost money) but it was always intended on costing you to recycle mods or change your attributes/optimise your specs. Even if this is an unintended credit sink, its likely not necessary, especially if they continue to place up desireable prizes in Nar Shadda gambling.

Lastly, the benefit to players and revenue generation to EA/BioWare is likely a significant reason to accept the idea even if it disrupts an unintended revenue sink.

Congrats BTW on getting post #100

I'd love to see the actual numbers. In my own anecdotal observation most folks once they hit 55 rarely change the look of their equipment. Lower level players wearing blues and greens change their look all the time because they are forced to. Lower leveled folks wearing moddable equipment have a unified look through most of their lifecycle.

There was never an intended tax on changing your appearance (otherwise binding new equipment to you would cost money) but it was always intended on costing you to recycle mods or change your attributes/optimise your specs. Even if this is an unintended credit sink, its likely not necessary, especially if they continue to place up desireable prizes in Nar Shadda gambling.

Lastly, the benefit to players and revenue generation to EA/BioWare is likely a significant reason to accept the idea even if it disrupts an unintended revenue sink.

Congrats BTW on getting post #100

Source? Or is that just your opinion?

Legacy gear did NOT exist at launch, so to change your look, you had to pay the cost to remove and swap the mods. There was NO legacy gear at that point.

Yes, legacy gear has made it possible to swap mods between characters, but the cost still remains to change your look. I wonder why that is?

As I have said in other threads, it seems that BW has made it possible to avoid the credit sink or to look the way we choose to look, but not both. Players can bypass the cost of removing mods by using legacy gear, but the "price" you pay is fewer looks available. If you want access to more varied looks, then the credit sink comes into play.

I, personally, see nothing wrong with this. Seldom can a person have their cake and eat it, too.

Source? Or is that just your opinion?

Legacy gear did NOT exist at launch, so to change your look, you had to pay the cost to remove and swap the mods. There was NO legacy gear at that point.

Yes, legacy gear has made it possible to swap mods between characters, but the cost still remains to change your look. I wonder why that is?

As I have said in other threads, it seems that BW has made it possible to avoid the credit sink or to look the way we choose to look, but not both. Players can bypass the cost of removing mods by using legacy gear, but the "price" you pay is fewer looks available. If you want access to more varied looks, then the credit sink comes into play.

I, personally, see nothing wrong with this. Seldom can a person have their cake and eat it, too.

I am well aware legacy gear did not exist at launch. I am also well aware that most people, per my observation, were not changing the look of their equipment once they purchased a set of mod-able gear they liked because of the cost (which was, at release, exorbitant). They would change their look when they obtained 'end game' gear and then it was an unwilling change in many cases again, because the cost to swap mods was so high they would just put on the end game gear and run with it.

Even with the reduced cost of removing mods, people who are doing it are doing it, in general and per my observations, to shift mods to other players and pay the cost once. Its actually reduced the cost of outfitting alts significantly. When people change their looks now its often in a period when they were already moving a set of mods from one character to another character but even that appears to be less frequent.

My observation was simple deduction. If there was an intended cost to change your appearance as a money sink then ALL gear would cost you money to change. You can still freely change in and out of (and could especially at release when there was significant more 'blue' end game gear) other items. Crafted and dropped equipment you can switch all day long and never incur a credit cost. The cost comes when you try to move mods from one piece of equipment to another and then the cost itself is only on _removing_ the mods.

Simple deduction shows that you can put on an orange piece of equipment at no cost at all. Cost only exists if you want to MOVE mods from one to another. You can, if you already have the mods, very easily just put the mods in and throw it on, no cost. No intended or even implied credit sink for changing your appearance.

There is an obvious implied cost for moving mods around which is how one changes their spec or gives mods to Companions or now Alts with legacy gear. The trooper is the best example of this since every single one of your companions uses Aim gear.

This is also implied by the system which initially had a very high cost for respeccing your character as well if you were constantly changing your spec. (Since modified downwards, again for player QoL)

You can not document anywhere that it was an intended credit sink. All we have is the evidence of the system, and that shows that changing your look is very easily accomplished at no cost. Whereas optimizing your build/attributes/changing your spec always has had a cost.

So even if this is a credit sink, it appears to be an unintended one and the benefits of the system to quality of life and to player loyalty/satisfaction as well as increased earnings potential to EA/BioWare should make this a no brainer. It is why cosmetic appearance slots are a significant portion of every f2p game I have experience with. Being able to change your look is a large incentive to purchase new looks.

There is very little harm to the in game economy and I might posit that since it now becomes easier to change your look, many players will be spending in game credits to acquire new looks that they always wanted but found the system punitive so never changed.

I can, using the evidence of other MMO's that have implemented cosmetic appearances as part of their f2p model, virtually guaranty that implementing this would not create a problem economy where all the players have too much money because they can change their appearance for 'free'.

And Edit To Add: As I have pointed out before, the credit sink for changing your spec, handing down equipment mods, etc _remains intact_. This will not change on whit. To change your stats for a different build. To pull your mods out to replace them with new mods and send the old mods to another character or a companion will still cost you credits. The credit sink remains for what appears to have been the primary reason the credit sink existed in the first place.

And we can say that again with reasonable assurance of the accuracy of the statement because most all of the moddable equipment at launch was tied to a specific armor type and not adaptive gear and most all of the 'appearance' gear (planetary/social gear) was of a type that was usually useless to all players except the Consulars/Inquisitors as it was classified as 'light' and thus not optimal for 12 of 16 classes so you wouldn't be moving your mods into it to begin with.

The created adaptive gear specifically because people weren't using the exisiting gear to change their appearances and at the request of the player base so people could at least put on the stuff they liked and make some use of it. But even then, it appears most just settled on a set and appearances did not change often because of the punitive cost for an aesthetic change.

Edited by EnkiduNineEight

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have collected several new pieces lately. I obtained the Last Handmaiden full set, and I am now selling it on the GTN vice bind it to myself because Bioware has not provided any way to manage appearance without messing with gear.

So, they lost additional cartel coins they would have gotten from me to unlock the full set across multiple characters. They will continue to lose cartel coins because I've stopped collecting. No reason to collect anymore. I have full sets of legacy gear for everything: leveling, end-game PvE, end-game PvE offspec set, end-game PvP, end-game PvP offspec set. Every armor slot, main hand slot, and offhand slot for every class and it's mirror on the opposing faction.

I won't touch non Legacy bound gear again, and will only have to get Ear, Implants, Relics for any character that doesn't have them. The small price to pay is using the mail to shuffle gear around. Even my Treek has full legacy healing gear that gets shared among my characters.

I want a more dynamic way change my appearance. I'm already avoiding the "credit sink", except for the initial ONE time mod swap. Let's get past the "credit sink" issue because it's a moot point.

Edited by undiess

That's a good point as well. Credit sink doesn't really matter to people at the high end as they aren't sinking credits at all. Ubiquity of 'legacy' gear means its easy to do what you are doing which completely obviates any credit sink at all.

A cosmetic tab system, of any type, while I think my idea is a really good one, really would be something to encourage purchases from the Cartel Market and the desire to collect them. It gives lower level players a way to become more active parts of the economy for even just minor cartel market purchases and re-sells. And it gives us a way to modify our appearances for role-playing purposes without having to shuffle gear around. My plan makes the ship a little more central to your character, gives impetus to use the other rooms in your ship (at least one, your 'captain's quarters' and its wardrobe item) and would be a net positive for the game. Increasing QoL for players, Increasing reason for players to purchase more outfits from the cartel market (increased profit for EA) and having few, if any, real detriments.

Yes, it would greatly benefit the Cartel Market. Normally I would unlock the Handmaiden set across all my characters, purchasing with cartel coins. Now I see it as completely pointless because I'm not going to use the set with mods.

So Bioware is losing money. I'm not the only one so invested in Legacy gear and I know it's not super common at the moment, but it is becoming increasingly common as people level up more 55 level characters. Every additional 55 level characters you have, the easier it is to get legacy gear . You can grind reputation very quickly as well as get components, such as the grey helix components.

Edited by undiess

Looking at the new CM sets on the PTS makes me want this feature so badly. :( It is getting to the point where for a lot of the stuff I like, it goes like this: "Wow, I love that set, it'd be great for my _____! But . . . I like her current outfit a lot too. And I don't really want to get rid of it. Or wear that new one all the time. Or pay to rip out the mods and augment the new set. Oh well, guess I'll pass on it then."

As for the "but we need a credit sink!" objection: First, I agree with EnkiduNineEight, well said. I would also like to point out that there are other possible options for credit sinks, and that new credit sinks can be added to the game. The Nightlife event is a huge credit sink and will likely be returning. Housing will also be a big credit sink with the price of full stronghold unlocks, legacy bank tabs, and guild ships. IMHO, mod removal costs as a credit sink are becoming a drop in the bucket considering how many people simply stick with one set or use legacy gear at 55.

Sigh...

This is a GAME! You are SUPPOSED to be able to have your cake and eat it too... that is why it is fun, an escape from reality.

If I want reality, I'll go outside.

Yes, it would greatly benefit the Cartel Market. Normally I would unlock the Handmaiden set across all my characters, purchasing with cartel coins. Now I see it as completely pointless because I'm not going to use the set with mods.

So Bioware is losing money. I'm not the only one so invested in Legacy gear and I know it's not super common at the moment, but it is becoming increasingly common as people level up more 55 level characters. Every additional 55 level characters you have, the easier it is to get legacy gear . You can grind reputation very quickly as well as get components, such as the grey helix components.

This... I have a lot of alts, I could pay CC to unlock a LOT of armor... but I don't, because I'm not going to pay the million credits to swap armor sets...

It isn't a credit sink if I don't use it.

• 4 weeks later...
This... I have a lot of alts, I could pay CC to unlock a LOT of armor... but I don't, because I'm not going to pay the million credits to swap armor sets...

It isn't a credit sink if I don't use it.

This is my situation as well. I would buy so much stuff off the CM if the game let me use them all, but it doesn't so I don't.

Anyhow, Appearance Tab has been a constant request since the beta days. Have we ever heard anything official about why they haven't done it? Is it the intended design or is it due to tech reasons?

Yep, it is well overdue, triple that with all the CM armor...

I'd love to convert one of my Jedi to the Satele Shan armor, but the problem is, it'll cost a million credits to do it.

Yea, I don't think so...

I'd also pay to unlock it in collections, and put it on a second Jedi, but again, not for a million credits.

That is the real selling point for the idea folks so I appreciate your contributions and up-votes.

Having equipment in your collection would now have meaning were this idea implemented as you could easily change outfits without affecting stats/build.

This would create an increased demand for Cartel Items/collections.

This would be beneficial to EA/BioWare.

• 2 weeks later...

Another pack, more Reputation Gear, more things to wear, and all my characters are all pretty much in the same gear they had before.

A modern MMO really needs to have a Cosmetic Appearance System. Keeping on set of equipment slots for your stats and one (Or more! See my suggestions above) slots available to make cosmetic changes to your outfit will only benefit the cartel market.

People like myself which have 100% completion of many packs (but unlock very little) would be enticed to unlock some of the sets so all of their characters could use them (Cold weather gear for Hoth for example). This means cartel coin expenditures and $$$ For EA.

People who haven't seen the point in the collections and the cartel packs (Because they are overpriced and too random for just potential costumes its going to cost them more to change into) will be enticed perhaps to make purchases since they can change their appearance 'at will' without affecting their stats.

Again, this adds up to more revenue for EA.

Please at least comment on this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to share some further points from the implementation of the legacy storage and the 12x exp event.

My sorc/sage dps are my mains, during this event i have leveled up a sin/shadow also dps. Now after looking over stats they are the same for dps and the only difference in gear is the saber-staff.

With the legacy storage it is a simple case of putting the gear in there and taking it out on login and putting it back before logout making using legacy gear alot more user friendly than the old mail across system. I have one tab devoted to just legacy armor.

So i had the legacy armor and offhand that works, so i buy a legacy mainhand for that class. Now i have the following upgrades that work for four of my chars

Armour - 7 pieces upgrade once for 4 characters

Offhand - 1 piece to upgrade for 4 characters

Mainhand - 2 pieces to upgrade for 4 characters.

Earpiece - 1 per character (4 total)

Implant - 2 per character (8 total)

Relics - 2 per character (8 total)

Total - 30 pIeces to upgrade 4 characters

If i used non legacy cartel market armor that i bought instead of legacy the figures would be as follows

Armour - 7pieces x 4 chars = 28 pieces to upgrade for 4 characters

Offhand - 1 piece x 4 chars = 4 pieces to upgrade for 4 characters

Mainhand - 1 piece x 4 chars = 4 pieces to upgrade per character

Earpiece - 1 per character (4 total)

Implant - 2 per character (8 total)

Relics - 2 per character (8 total)

Total - 56 pieces to upgrade 4 characters.

So really there is no point in me buying cartel market armors because on this character set i have used as an example it would nearly double the amount of upgrades i would need to do. Having to do nearly twice the work for the same effect i can do with legacy puts me off buying cartel armors.

On the other hand if i could equip them in a slot that gives me their appearance only with no stats from the gear used i would get more armors so i do not have 4 characters with the same look.

But when it comes down to it i will choose the shorter upgrade time over the diff looks, with appearance tabs i could use the legacy shorter upgrade and would have incentive to buy armor sets from the market too.

Edited by Rusah

When I first read the post I thought it would be tabs with armor slots.

Ex. Tab A I have all my PvP gear, if not PvPing, then I switch to a different tabbed look. Maybe I would have a few weather specific outfits set up in the other tabs.

Of course, as I read on, I realizedthat I had the wrong idea. And maintaining so many sets would be expensive even without mod swapping.

When I first read the post I thought it would be tabs with armor slots.

Ex. Tab A I have all my PvP gear, if not PvPing, then I switch to a different tabbed look. Maybe I would have a few weather specific outfits set up in the other tabs.

Of course, as I read on, I realizedthat I had the wrong idea. And maintaining so many sets would be expensive even without mod swapping.

The idea is about having tabs. The number of tabs would be based on your unlocked number and your subscription model. Subscribers would get the most available tabs.

In each tab, you would have to put a piece of equipment in the slot, but the stats etc for that equipment would not be used, only their 'look'.

In the 'main' or base tab, this is where you put the equipment that provides your stats. This is the present 'paper dol' we have currently.

Your appearance tabs would only be accessible and modifiable from your ship's captains quarters where every ship has a 'Wardrobe'/closet model presently. It would become a clickable item.

Here you could have one or more cosmetic appearance tabs where you could place equipment into the various slots.

Then, on your character sheet you would have a small addition, likely under the little 'Torso Armor' icon where you can select dark side corruption, unify colors, etc, and in this area you could select which of your current appearance tabs is displayed for your character.

The cosmetic appearance tabs would require you to have possession of the item because you will need to place it in the slot. If the item you choose is a modifiable item etc, you don't need to put mods in it because this is only for the looks displayed, the stats are still pulled from your main character page. So if you have an item that you like its look but it is not a cartel item and not in your cartel collection, then you have to save that item in order to 'wear' its look.

The idea is about having tabs. The number of tabs would be based on your unlocked number and your subscription model. Subscribers would get the most available tabs.

In each tab, you would have to put a piece of equipment in the slot, but the stats etc for that equipment would not be used, only their 'look'.

In the 'main' or base tab, this is where you put the equipment that provides your stats. This is the present 'paper dol' we have currently.

Your appearance tabs would only be accessible and modifiable from your ship's captains quarters where every ship has a 'Wardrobe'/closet model presently. It would become a clickable item.

Here you could have one or more cosmetic appearance tabs where you could place equipment into the various slots.

Then, on your character sheet you would have a small addition, likely under the little 'Torso Armor' icon where you can select dark side corruption, unify colors, etc, and in this area you could select which of your current appearance tabs is displayed for your character.

The cosmetic appearance tabs would require you to have possession of the item because you will need to place it in the slot. If the item you choose is a modifiable item etc, you don't need to put mods in it because this is only for the looks displayed, the stats are still pulled from your main character page. So if you have an item that you like its look but it is not a cartel item and not in your cartel collection, then you have to save that item in order to 'wear' its look.

Yeah, I realized as I kept reading that I had the wrong idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to be the one to necro a thread but after doing a quick search i see this is pretty much EXACTLY what I was going to task for. It is a simple solution to changing your look and gives people incentive to add to collections. Plus, Id love to be able to modify the side-arm on my Imperial agents without a weird work around.

Changing your look would be easy and would still force people to mod a set of gear for PVP and PVE with the added benefit of looking exactly the way you want.

Seriously, I would pay CC for this authorization. Even if i am a paying sub.