Preview items from the new packs... ALREADY ??

Gamesux

True, if only that kind of thinking were applied to bug fixing. I mean that sure seems as simple as "reskinning" something to me in order to fix.

That's probably because you have no understanding of software development.

Producing resources (models and skins) is far less time/schedule intensive than a non-trivial bugfix.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I see a post like this.......

I applaud you and your awesomesauce. Remind me to never ever group with you as my player skills simply are not worthy of you or your presence....

It's funny because it's most likely true.

All you fanbois should definitely keep your heads stuck in the sand. Keep telling yourselves that there's nothing wrong with the fact that far more importance is placed on updating the CM with ****** items (ofc it doesn't really matter how appealing the items are, they're still CM exclusive) and not on fixing things that are broken or actually adding new content. Then, when there's noone left for you to rp with, or struggle through a hm fp with, you can cry about why everyone left.

And fyi, you don't need a sub to post on the forums, so **** with your "You're here posting so you're paying so deep down you're actually satisfied with the game" bs.

All you fanbois should definitely keep your heads stuck in the sand. Keep telling yourselves that there's nothing wrong with the fact that far more importance is placed on updating the CM with ****** items (ofc it doesn't really matter how appealing the items are, they're still CM exclusive) and not on fixing things that are broken or actually adding new content. Then, when there's noone left for you to rp with, or struggle through a hm fp with, you can cry about why everyone left.

And fyi, you don't need a sub to post on the forums, so **** with your "You're here posting so you're paying so deep down you're actually satisfied with the game" bs.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XPCxL3ggDzA/T1dpC1Jl3QI/AAAAAAAABkU/ZCcm5SfTlUU/s1600/Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-we-got-a-bad-***-over-here-meme.png

I don't ever want to pay more than 15 dollars a month to do a new FP unless it's part of an expansion.

You may need to reread my post you quoted. :rolleyes:

"Subs get the new content from each patch for FREE." F2P/Preferred would need to pay for said FPs.

Apparently because in this case not taking the time to do it right delivered the bug to live servers. You're right there :p

...and again, you show that you don't have any experience with software development.

When you find a process that doesn't deliver bugs to production environments, let the world know. People way smarter than you have been trying to figure it out for 40 years.

Without the CM, this game, something that I enjoy doing in my free time, would not exist. Hopefully you all enjoy doing it in your free time too, else why are you paying the subscription? So let's all try to remember that. The CM saved anf probably continues to save the game from death.

Last I heard from the devs, you actually do need a sub to post to the forums. If you are able to do it without a sub, please share the method you're using.

...and again, you show that you don't have any experience with software development.

Honestly, why the hell should that matter? Who cares what development background people have? If he were the lead developer, you'd have a point...but he's just a freaking customer, just like YOU. He's entitled to say what he'd like to see without having to provide credentials that are 100% irrelevant to what he's asking for since he doesn't even work for Bioware.

Honestly, why the hell should that matter? Who cares what development background people have? If he were the lead developer, you'd have a point...but he's just a freaking customer, just like YOU. He's entitled to say what he'd like to see without having to provide credentials that are 100% irrelevant to what he's asking for since he doesn't even work for Bioware.

Absolutely. He can ask for whatever he likes. He's allowed to express his opinion on the game. He's allowed to say what he doesn't like, and complain about bugs.

However, once he starts to make statements about how easy development tasks are, how the developers should have done their job, and how software development should be done, he's no longer talking about his desires as a gamer. He's now started talking about software development, and his knowledge about that topic becomes relevant.

Using the common analogy:

You don't need to be a chef to criticize a plate of food. However, if you don't know the first thing about preparing food, any statements you make about the skill of the chef, the techniques used, or the time it took to prepare are pretty much meaningless, and you'll likely end up saying something silly (eg: "They should have deep fried this brisket" or "They should have waited until these mashed potatoes had absolutely no lumps") that illustrates how little you understand.

The person I responded to stated that fixing a bug should be faster than creating a new texture. In the grand majority of cases, he's completely wrong. He then stated that they should have done it right the first time, implying that they should do everything right the first time. That is naive in the general sense, and patently ridiculous in game development.

He can say: "I wish they'd fix this bug". That's a statement he's qualified to make. "They shouldn't release any bugs" is a statement he is woefully unqualified to make (apparently). All I did was point that out.

Edited by Malastare

Absolutely. He can ask for whatever he likes. He's allowed to express his opinion on the game. He's allowed to say what he doesn't like, and complain about bugs.

However, once he starts to make statements about how easy development tasks are, how the developers should have done their job, and how software development should be done, he's no longer talking about his desires as a gamer. He's now started talking about software development, and his knowledge about that topic becomes relevant.

Using the common analogy:

You don't need to be a chef to criticize a plate of food. However, if you don't know the first thing about preparing food, any statements you make about the skill of the chef, the techniques used, or the time it took to prepare are pretty much meaningless.

The person I responded to stated that fixing a bug should be faster than creating a new texture. In the grand majority of cases, he's completely wrong. He then stated that they should have done it right the first time, implying that they should do everything right the first time. That is naive in the general sense, and patently ridiculous in game development.

He can say: "I wish they'd fix this bug". That's a statement he's qualified to make. "They shouldn't release any bugs" is a statement he is woefully unqualified to make (apparently). All I did was point that out.

Sure, but software development realities aren't the end-all-be-all answer.

They are the constraints the developers must live within. If they're not the end-all, be-all answer they certainly contribute significantly to it, right?

Contribute of course, to a point. My contention has nothing to do with the people "doing the work" or what they're doing. It's with the apparent sense of priorities and investments. It's not difficult to get a reasonable sense of some things without being on the ground at a company. A lot of indicators are pretty common across biz sectors and easy to read.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Contribute of course, to a point. My contention has nothing to do with people "doing the work" or what they're doing. It's with the apparent sense of priorities and investments. It's not difficult to get a reasonable sense of some things without being on the ground at a company. A lot of indicators are pretty common across biz sectors and easy to read.

They gave you a road map of when and what content is coming. Can there be a bigger indicator?

Sure, but software development realities aren't the end-all-be-all answer.

No. I never said they were.

But gamers should always be at least aware of development realities whenever they make demands or ask for fixes or question why some actions were taken. If you choose to ignore them or simply lack the understanding to see them, then you're very likely to end up coming to the wrong conclusion.

And that happens on this forum.

A lot.

In most cases, you don't need to be a developer to understand them. A little bit of common sense is enough. In other cases, common sense should at least tell you that you lack sufficient knowledge to make the judgment you were about to make.

For instance: the example above of the poster claiming that creating a new texture would take longer than fixing a bug (even if the bug is a bad texture). He doesn't have any experience to confirm that. He doesn't know the cause of the bug. He doesn't know how to fix the bug. He probably doesn't know how textures are made, and I doubt he's ever written a line of (actual) code. However, he happily made that statement, despite his lack of knowledge, then ignored someone who tried to correct him.

He's clearly unaware with testing cycles and configuration management and build mechanics and integration schedules. And no, he shouldn't need to be. And no, those things are not the only answer. There are also things like prioritizing work and organizing teams to adapt to problems, and those are things that Bioware can and should be controlling. Code quality and QA procedures play a strong part, too.

Again: the point isn't that development realities answer all questions. But when you ignore them or just make up your own facts about them, you're pretty much guaranteed to be wrong.