There is a Maker. Korriban is Saved!

Beniboybling

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(I'd like to just say, I am a huge EU fan, and love SWTOR, but... I'm not going to 'Leave the fandom' as some fans elsewhere are wanting to do because of this.)

Here is how I see it. There are two ways to deal with the name thing. 1) A hard retcon. They just say that Korriban is now Moraband. Bioware will have to go back and redesign Korriban to look like Moraband. That'll be a bit of work, and I can see NOT happening. (Mainly because EA won't want to spend the money to do it. :p)

2) The Story group decides that Moraband is the 'True Sith Homeworld' where the Sith Purebloods evolved from. They eventually left Moraband, and went to Korriban, where they were discovered by the Dark Jedi, which led to them interbreeding, and becoming the Sith Empire. And Korriban was adobted as the new Sith Homeworld, as was Ziost, and later Dromund Kaas.

See, #2 is a easy fix. And, I can bet that is what will happen. But, some diehard fans just want to use this as a reason to hate Disney. :rolleyes:

Korriban, Ziost, Dromund Kaas, Malachor V all of them have been lauded as the true Sith Homeworld, yet we all know how true some of those claims are, not like another planet lauded as the Sith Homeworld will make much more of a difference.

I think this is the best we can hope for, the real concern is what else Yoda will "learn" about the Sith and their history on "Moraband" - for all we know he'll find that the Sith were a race of blue-skinned, four-armed lemurs who developed a force religion completely separate from the Jedi two thousand years ago, or something else completely incompatible with the current Lore.

Barring any more extensive retcons showing up courtesy of this episode, I hope they just make it "a" Sith Homeworld instead of "the" Sith Homeworld, like has been suggested a few times here. Pretty sure the lore around Darth Ruin is pretty sparse, so maybe they can make it the planet where he founded the New Sith Empire after the Fourth Great Schism.

Edited by DarthDymond

I just hope that Lucasfilm/Disney have the sense to keep canon cohesive and actually try to make Moraband work with Korriban - and I have high hopes, considering the state of the EU - that they will.

One thing is for sure, this episode is either going to mark the death of the EU, or its rebirth into something wonderful. :p

Edited by Beniboybling

Found an Interesting Theory...

Quote:

Guided by the Force, Yoda travels to the heart of the galaxy. There, on the planet where he finds the origin of the Force, he must face difficult trials. Only upon passing them will the Sages deem him worthy of learning the deepest mysteries of the Force....

Heart of the galaxy? Origin of the Force. Wait...THAT'S TYTHON!! In the Bane Trilogy, it states that Tython was ravaged by some sort of dark power and was turned into a barren world strong in the dark side. Maybe when Tython went dark, the renamed it Moriband.

Found an Interesting Theory...

I honestly wouldn't mind something like that. It's not unprecedented in SW lore (Rakata Prime/Lehon), or even in the real world (Constantinople/Istanbul and numerous other name changes of places and countries in the world).

I had a similar thought, but instead of it being Sith as we've been thinking of them (or any connection to Tython as well) that it was going to be linked the Sith as reformed by Darth Ruin approximately 1600 years after TOR.

However, I dismissed it after rereading the known information.

My question: Why is it a problem that there's a different name for the same planet after more than 3000 years?
Because the name is given to us by individuals who look like the predate Jedi and Sith.

At the very least it was originally called Moraband.

Edited by Beniboybling

Unfortunately no, the trailer makes a clear distinction (as do the summaries) between Moraband and "Tython."

I do hope it is Tython though...

And the trailer also says that Yoda travels to Degobah.

It's 2 seperate episodes, as listed in the SW insider.

1st, Yoda travels to Degobah(heart of galaxy, wellspring of the force, trials...etc).

2nd, Yoda travels to Moraband.

And the trailer also says that Yoda travels to Degobah.

It's 2 seperate episodes, as listed in the SW insider.

1st, Yoda travels to Degobah(heart of galaxy, wellspring of the force, trials...etc).

2nd, Yoda travels to Moraband.

Dagobah =/= heart of the galaxy.

We are dealing with three distinctly different worlds here.

Dagobah =/= heart of the galaxy.

We are dealing with three distinctly different worlds here.

This is the same Arc we saw in the original Promo's right? The one where Anakin sneaks him out of the temple?

Not gonna lie, I'm as excited for this as we were back at the season 5 Finale (Fun times :p)

This is the same Arc we saw in the original Promo's right? The one where Anakin sneaks him out of the temple?

Not gonna lie, I'm as excited for this as we were back at the season 5 Finale (Fun times :p)

That is correct, in his little baby fighter. :p

Yeah, everytime I watch the trailer I'm like: damn, I'm actually going to be watching this. :D

That is correct, in his little baby fighter. :p

Yeah, everytime I watch the trailer I'm like: damn, I'm actually going to be watching this. :D

Torrenting might be our only option though, I know Netflix is getting them for America and Canada, but I saw no confirmations of the UK and the rest of Europe...

Moraband and Korriban are the same world, calling it now,

Rewatched the Trailer, Tython I believe is the orange world with life and floaty things, then when the creature says Moraband, it switches to a red rock and sand world, but for a split second, you can see the Sith Statues in the background that we all know and love.

It's probably just an ancient name for the planet.

That's not the issue here, the issue is that rewriting the OR era would invalidate SWTOR as canon, and cause all kinds of implications that I can't even begin to fathom. They literally have to terminate it on the spot.

Not really. Really not sure where you got the idea that non-canon material just automatically gets purged. When Lucasfilm reorganizes and streamlines the canon into one whole continuity, then those things that may not make it through (e.g. the Holiday Special, Korriban, SWTOR, Waru, etc.) just become fanfiction (I think the term Lucasfilm uses is "Infinities") and the primary canon will be rewritten to restore coherence; Disney isn't going to just make Lucasfilm purge it, especially if it continues to yield profit.

It wouldn't be the first time something like this would happen. Marvel (also a Disney property) created a whole fanfiction universe with their films and TV show which are non-canon in relation to their main universe--i.e. the comics. Now you have two versions of all the major characters, plus some characters exclusive to each universe (like Agent Coulson). I can see Lucasfilm using this approach. They can have the main film/TV universe, plus several fanfiction universes like a video game universe, a literary universe, and a comics universe.

The Old Republic era can easily be replaced in the new main canon. Just have Darth Ruin (or whatever they decide to rename him) be the first Sith Lord in history, make Moriband the planet where the Sith order was born, and any in-film or in-TV elements of the Old Republic can just be retconned. To my knowledge, there are zero references in either film or the show to the Sith prior to the New Sith Wars; the closest we ever got was a planned Force ghost cameo of Revan in TCW that was ultimately scrapped.

I'm going to quote something I said a while back in regards to what your are suggesting:

==================================================

This is the worst idea ever ever ever. No offense or anything but just no. Why? Because it creates an

But jokes aside. The continuity system is the best thing that happened to Star Wars, well since Star Wars. The best thing is that it provides a linear universe were one event can have an impact on everything else. Take the Book of Sith, its a compendium made by Darth Sidious made from various texts from different eras. One of those includes a diary of Darth Malgus which Sidious says he gave to Vader for 'inspiration'. Is that not totally awesome?

And take TCW Younglings arc, the training ship the Younglings are on dates back to this very era and not only that, has the current Republic insignia emblazoned on its hull. Huyang, the droid who trains the Jedi, may very well have taught Satele Shan, or your own Jedi Knight. That would not have been possible if not for a linear universe.

It also allows for much of the discussion that happens on these forums to happen, I mean how could we possible discuss Exar Kun vs Vader is they existed in separate universes?

And finally, to quote Leland Chee:

"In the end, my ongoing vision is that as long as there’s the Holocron, Star Wars will not reboot."

How many times has the Marvel/DC universe rebooted? How many alternate stories does Superman have? How many times has the Joker died? Star Wars, because it exists in a singular universe, will never reboot. Do we want 10 different stories for Luke Skywalker? An alternate universe in which Sidious was just an old man and Vader a guy in a flight suit? Now you may be saying I'm exaggerating, but already by creating an alternate post-ROTJ universe your changing Luke's story, the stories of his children, his powers, their powers. Everything. And in the end you get to a point where nobody really knows what the hell is going on, you've just got disembodied characters floating about waiting to be plucked by some random dude and stuck into a movie, comic or game.

Simply put, creating an alternative universe would be the worst thing that Disney could possible do. And if they want to kill Star Wars, this is the best way to do it.

==================================================

On top of that, I doubt we'd ever see these stories continued. The Old Republic era would just to draw up short and overridden by what, some new Old Republic era? Great. And then we've got the dozens upon dozens of canon inconsistencies it would cause. If this era is "fanfiction" why is made reference to in TCW? Why is there a mural of the Great Hyperspace War in Palpatine's Office? Why does Plagueis make reference to Revan, Malak etc.?

These would all have to be resolved. And a ton of existing Star Wars sourcebooks (practically all of them) would have to be thrown out as no longer accurate. The entirety of the EU would have to be overhauled completely.

Of course if that is the path they take, that is exactly what they will do. With the Old Republic era non-canon the subsequent eras are compromised, so they would have to go to. The Rise of the Empire era, the Rebellion era and of course post-ROTJ (which is pretty much dead anyway), all that would be "canon" is TCW, Rebels and the movies.

You can't essentially invalidate the history of the galaxy and expect future works to still make sense.

So essentially, in order for this to work. They would have to completely separate EU and Film Continuity. We'd have two separate universes, and for all we know all existing stories in the current EU would just be discontinued. And with the movies torn away from them, they would simply slowly shrivel away and die I guess.

But I don't think that will happen. I think Lucasfilm/Disney has decided not to throw out the EU considering the statements made that EU and Film Continuity are now equal. Film continuity at this point is basically TCW as well, so I see no reason why they would say this if they were planning on rendering the EU an alternate universe.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Story Group have been actively involved in ensuring that SWTOR conforms with existing canon. If they were planning on rendering the history of the Sith - of which SWTOR is a part - non-canon, why would they be doing this? Because they have no plans of rendering it non-canon and instead are attempting to integrate it into the EU. Indeed it's telling that the project they were involved in was Galactic Starfighter, and it just so happens that the new Clone Wars episodes look like they are going to feature Kuat Drive Yards.

But hey maybe I'm wrong, maybe this won't happen. Maybe we will see some major overhauls. But the way i see it its certainly not a good way or an effective way of going about things and I doubt I'll accept their decision.

The continuity system is the best thing that happened to Star Wars, well since Star Wars. The best thing is that it provides a linear universe were one event can have an impact on everything else. Take the Book of Sith, its a compendium made by Darth Sidious made from various texts from different eras. One of those includes a diary of Darth Malgus which Sidious says he gave to Vader for 'inspiration'. Is that not totally awesome?

And take TCW Younglings arc, the training ship the Younglings are on dates back to this very era and not only that, has the current Republic insignia emblazoned on its hull. Huyang, the droid who trains the Jedi, may very well have taught Satele Shan, or your own Jedi Knight. That would not have been possible if not for a linear universe.

That's the beauty of fictional universes; they're flexible. And de-canonizing pre-established material won't cause them to disappear, you can still enjoy them. The EU stuff will still be interconnected with each other. All that would change is that it won't be connected to the films.

It also allows for much of the discussion that happens on these forums to happen, I mean how could we possible discuss Exar Kun vs Vader is they existed in separate universes?

Have you not seen the many "Luke Skywalker vs. Captain Kirk" or" Boba Fett vs. Batman" forum posts out there? Universe separation isn't going to stop fans from speculating.

Do we want 10 different stories for Luke Skywalker? An alternate universe in which Sidious was just an old man and Vader a guy in a flight suit?

People have diverse tastes. Just because we may not like that doesn't mean everyone else in the world won't.

Now you may be saying I'm exaggerating, but already by creating an alternate post-ROTJ universe your changing Luke's story, the stories of his children, his powers, their powers. Everything. And in the end you get to a point where nobody really knows what the hell is going on, you've just got disembodied characters floating about waiting to be plucked by some random dude and stuck into a movie, comic or game.

Of course the other perspective of this is: We never really knew the post-RotJ story, all we've read and played was just a hypothetical future. Similar to the hypothetical future that some writers have been making for the Harry Potter universe. Any EU material that doesn't make it through the canon unification process will retroactively become an example of this. Doesn't detract from the quality (or crappiness) of the material. I've read lots of fanfiction where the writer actually stays within the canon of the original work, then creates his/her own continuity from there.

And I think it's a given that the post-RotJ EU (or at least a considerable chunk of it) WILL become an "alternate universe", because the EU has taken up a whole 40+ years of the post-RotJ era that unless they have the new trilogy take place after FotJ. But good luck trying to explain all the crap that's happened since--Chewie's absence, the explanation of the Vong War that you know will need to be made, why the Republic is now called the Galactic Alliance, why Han and Leia have a granddaughter even though their only child is childless and why Luke has a teenage son but no wife, and the explanation of the Solo children and Mara Jade that will have to be made as a result, etc. And let's be honest; the odds of them doing that are very small to none.

Simply put, creating an alternative universe would be the worst thing that Disney could possible do. And if they want to kill Star Wars, this is the best way to do it.[/color]

Except SW has had alternate universes for awhile now; they're called "Infinities"--stories that take place in alternate scenarios where a different choice may have been made; e.g. the dark side choices of games, the "Ultimate Sith Edition" they released for The Force Unleashed, etc.

If this era is "fanfiction" why is made reference to in TCW? Why is there a mural of the Great Hyperspace War in Palpatine's Office? Why does Plagueis make reference to Revan, Malak etc.?

Retcons my friend. "That mural in Palpatine's Office actually dates back to the Sith war that ended with all but two Sith being wiped out." And Plagueis only mentions Revan and Malak in the novel, they can easily de-canonize that and make it so Plagueis never mentioned him.

These would all have to be resolved. And a ton of existing Star Wars sourcebooks (practically all of them) would have to be thrown out as no longer accurate. The entirety of the EU would have to be overhauled completely.

True. But they do that regularly anyway. I have an old sourcebook that says that Boba Fett was actually a former stormtrooper named Jaster Mareel who went AWOL and became a bounty hunter. Obviously non-canon anymore. It won't be hard for Lucasfilm to make an "Essential Guide, New Edition" that takes into account all the new changes and revisions.

Of course if that is the path they take, that is exactly what they will do. With the Old Republic era non-canon the subsequent eras are compromised, so they would have to go to. The Rise of the Empire era, the Rebellion era and of course post-ROTJ (which is pretty much dead anyway), all that would be "canon" is TCW, Rebels and the movies.

And you don't find that exciting? It'll be the creation of a new history. It'll be the same way we felt when Heir to the Empire came out and the EU started to unfold.

You can't essentially invalidate the history of the galaxy and expect future works to still make sense.

So essentially, in order for this to work. They would have to completely separate EU and Film Continuity. We'd have two separate universes, and for all we know all existing stories in the current EU would just be discontinued. And with the movies torn away from them, they would simply slowly shrivel away and die I guess.

"There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don’t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don’t get too involved in the parallel universe."

-- George Lucas

Personally, I think it's exciting to think that we're finally going to get a "one true history" of the Star Wars galaxy, where Lucasfilm will be closely involved in its creation, as opposed to the lax "do what you want as long as you don't contradict the films" attitude that they've had before the Disney acquisition.

But I don't think that will happen. I think Lucasfilm/Disney has decided not to throw out the EU considering the statements made that EU and Film Continuity are now equal. Film continuity at this point is basically TCW as well, so I see no reason why they would say this if they were planning on rendering the EU an alternate universe.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Story Group have been actively involved in ensuring that SWTOR conforms with existing canon. If they were planning on rendering the history of the Sith - of which SWTOR is a part - non-canon, why would they be doing this? Because they have no plans of rendering it non-canon and instead are attempting to integrate it into the EU. Indeed it's telling that the project they were involved in was Galactic Starfighter, and it just so happens that the new Clone Wars episodes look like they are going to feature Kuat Drive Yards.

What needs to be remembered is that when they go about the canon unification process, their main priority will be the lore set forth in the films and TV show. The EU will be preserved only inasmuch as it conforms to the film and TV lore, as well as to the future lore they plan on putting into the new trilogy and spin-off films. And considering that the EU has pretty much taken up all of the next 40+ years after RotJ, you can be almost certain that a good chunk of the post-RotJ era will be de-canonized to make room for the new films, and seeing how connected the novels are, I'm thinking even more would have to be scrapped to completely purge that time period.

Admittedly, the Old Republic era seems to be the safest era, since it's so far separated from the film and TV era that it's basically inconsequential to that canon. But then again, that same fact might just endanger it, since they can scrap the whole era and it'll have little to no impact on the film and TV continuity; at least no impact that a quick few retcons won't fix (see the above example with Palpatine's mural).

But hey maybe I'm wrong, maybe this won't happen. Maybe we will see some major overhauls. But the way i see it its certainly not a good way or an effective way of going about things and I doubt I'll accept their decision.[/color]

You don't have to accept their decision; you could always just boycott the new stuff in protest.