Bolstered Mods vs. Obroan

TaitWatson

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But isn't the penalty related to the overall rating average of the item ?

I think I could give it a try (I have a 78 as well)!

Using a 72 hilt incurs an exp penalty. I tried a 72-61-58 combo (not perfect but the best I could do) and dropped to 1850 exp iirc.

Using a 72 hilt incurs an exp penalty. I tried a 72-61-58 combo (not perfect but the best I could do) and dropped to 1850 exp iirc.

I didn't get the chance to try, perhaps using a lower rating modifications would fix the expertise drop.

Does testing this on Ilum works ?

Look at this an then please repeat Your post.

http://s7.directupload.net/images/140223/6gu6u5ut.png

I can't beleave that You don't understand the problem of Your f****** bolster crap.

Your complain is outdated:

Hello everyone!

I sent the information posted by L-RANDLE to the combat team to have them take a look, and wanted to post and let you all know what’s going on.

One of the first things we found when looking at the numbers is that tooltips are not matching what the back-end math says should be going on at all. Turns out, weapon damage attacks aren’t properly updating when we bolster weapon damage values up. That is going to cause players with lower weapon mods (hilts/barrels, specifically) to have their “white damage” abilities really off-base on the tooltip. We have informed the engineering team so that they can take a look and see what’s going on.

The second thing we did was “dissect” the numbers we got from L-RANDLE, specifically when it came to the Ravage numbers provided. For a bit of background, here is how Ravage damage is calculated:

Ravage Hit 1 and 2:

92.5% of Weapon Damage

13.9% of Base Level 55 Ability Damage (Max Base Damage is 2685 at 55)

1.39x Bonus Damage Stat

So using L-RANDLE’s provided information, here is what we got:

Obroan:

Max Weapon Range: 668 (Bolstered to 863)

Bonus Damage: 834.2

1st and 2nd Ravage Hits: 798 + 373 + 1159

3rd Ravage Hit: 1597 + 746 + 2319

Total Damage (before Skills/Armor/etc): 9322

L-RANDLE’s Personal Setup:

Max Weapon Range: 651 (Bolstered to 863)

Bonus Damage: 856.7

1st and 2nd Ravage Hits: 798 + 373 + 1190

3rd Ravage Hit: 1597 + 746 + 2454

Total Damage (before Skills/Armor/etc): 9447

Blue Mods:

Max Weapon Range: 651 (Bolstered to 863)

Bonus Damage: 882.6

1st and 2nd Ravage Hits: 798 + 373 + 1227

3rd Ravage Hit: 1597 + 746 + 2454

Total Damage (before Skills/Armor/etc): 9593

As you can see (and as many of you have reported), the blue mods are scaling much better than Obroan. We will be looking at Bolster and making adjustments to work towards correcting this issue, particularly as we get towards 2.7 and a new set of PvP gear.

-tw

The bolster in its self are fine

just do one thing, and that is not to be able to put low levels mods in lvl 55 gear, as Obroan.

and those who actually need gear, get bolstered a bit,

not those who have fully gear, to put some lower mods in their Obroan wep/offhands to get increased Stats, still have full expertise.

aint the bolster to help fresh 55 to stand a chanse in warzones?

sorry for bad english...

Depends what kind of 63 you're wearing. I guarantee if you use a PvP level 55 63, you will find the results to be... underwhelming.

;)

For weapons, 66/69/58 is BiS, tied with a couple of other purple combos. 46/46/46 is inferior. For armor the lower level blues are better. Bolster is a bit difficult to predict.

Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that you don't know about the Ilum event at all and still think that it's still vehicles and zone capture.

Maybe you should re-sub for more than two days before considering yourself to be a wiz.

Umm at what point did i mention i have been subbed for 2 days??? more like 6 months now... but of course you read the thread so i guess you know it all... Some people just love having a go...Suit yourself lol

My opinion is that this game would be much more enjoyable if there was more warzones, open world Keep attacking in all the great planets they have... instead of being stuck in Illum, an ugly bright blue planet!!! with no access to keeps or enemy bases for siege attacks. (warhammer online had a nice system for this)

Why is it actually such a problem to implement a couple of final lines to the bolster code that make sure that whatever stat is bolstered, it is not bolstered beyond obroan minus X?

Something like

if (stat > obroan-X) then stat = obroan - X;

It's not elegant, but it's a great fuse.

Edited by Cretinus

Why is it actually such a problem to implement a couple of final lines to the bolster code that make sure that whatever stat is bolstered, it is not bolstered beyond obroan minus X?

Something like

if (stat > obroan-X) then stat = obroan - X;

It's not elegant, but it's a great fuse.

I just wanted to write the same, but with conquerer (or even partisan) instead of obroan. It doesn't make any sense that only the best PVP armor is better then the rest.

I just wanted to write the same, but with conquerer (or even partisan) instead of obroan. It doesn't make any sense that only the best PVP armor is better then the rest.

Why doesn't it? If PvP progression is through gear (which it is) the best gear should give the best stats in PvP. I'm not sure how that's negotiable.

Why doesn't it? If PvP progression is through gear (which it is) the best gear should give the best stats in PvP. I'm not sure how that's negotiable.

Because using blue 45 mods is no progression at all!

If not, BW should drop the second best class PVP Armor (conquerer) completely and make the best armor more expensive. If it is useless anyway, why not get rid of it?

DerTaran didn't say 'it doesn't make any sense that the best PVP armor is better then the rest'.

What he said was 'it doesn't make any sense that only the best PVP armor is better then the rest'.

In other words, conqueror and even partisan gear should already be better than bolstered PvE gear.

Edited by Cretinus

Problem: PvP is catered to PvEers on a scale that doesn't even compare to the other way around.

Solution 1: eliminate bolster and provide recruit gear, even if sellable as it was before it was a choice to be bad and have a few credits or use gear while you work toward BiS.

Solution 2: eliminate bolster and allow gear to be purchased at low levels.

Solution 3: get rid of expertise and make PvP and PvE gear on the same level.

I may be being ignorant here, so correct me if these ideas would not work and tell me WHY, obviously recruit gear didn't pan out in the end, I don't know why I thought it worked well

I may be being ignorant here, so correct me if these ideas would not work and tell me WHY, obviously recruit gear didn't pan out in the end, I don't know why I thought it worked well

To answer your question, recruit gear didn't pan out because its non-expertise stats were so bad that geared PVPers could 2-shot recruit players, regardless of skill. When literally the only stat worth mentioning on recruit gear WAS the expertise, the difference in time to death between wearing recruit and 49 blues became less than easily discernible. Oh, and the first implementation of recruit had non-expertise stats that were right around level 49 blues, IIRC--yeah imagine how that fared against purple 58s and 61s that were the "real" PVP gear at the time. Mainstat/endurance/secondary stat on recruit was so bad that lots of people just wore the best PVE gear they had because the non-expertise stats on their PVE gear were about 50% (if not more) higher when expertise at the time only had around 30% effects.

Basically in order for a recruit player to defeat a geared player 1v1, the recruit player would have to have skill equivalent to >2000 rating and the geared player would have to be in the Special Olympics of bads.

Bioware did finally release an updated version of recruit gear but at the same time they released a new gear tier so the "updated" recruit did little to address the problems new 50s had in being competitive. The gear gap remained as wide as it ever was. Legacy gear did far more to address the problem than recruit ever did, but only for established players leveling a new alt. People PVPing on their first character were screwed, and as much as everyone hates bolster because of bugs making PVP gear non-BiS it's still better than recruit gear because PVP is far more skill based than it was back then.

Recruit gear wasn't moddable either, no upgrading it. So since people wanted to get rid of it ASAP, there was no incentive to pay the costs of augmenting it. That made it even worse.

Edited by AdrianDmitruk

DerTaran didn't say 'it doesn't make any sense that the best PVP armor is better then the rest'.

What he said was 'it doesn't make any sense that only the best PVP armor is better then the rest'.

In other words, conqueror and even partisan gear should already be better than bolstered PvE gear.

This^ and I believe it should be true. PvP gear should give an edge in PvP no matter what. Are there end-game scenarios where a lower rating PvP set is better than a higher rating PvE set? I doubt it.

People farm their gear to progress, higher tiers of gear give better stats and make people more effective...why shouldn't it be the same about PvP, why should the guy who hasn't done any work, have the same, or greater, performance possibilities than the one who has worked to get his gear?

Edited by Tevzz

2 things to add here, in terms of mh/oh, it does seem that my health is higher with 46 hilt(armor)/mod/enh in all 3 spots.

I would also suggest that bolster be taken out of anything to do with ranked 55's. There should be no need or purpose to have ranked be bolstered. I would also suggest that the min requirement to do ranked should be 2018 expertise.