Bolstered Mods vs. Obroan

TaitWatson

@everyone else crying about the gear grind.

Some of us are smart enough to have realized the gear grind just for the sake of grinding is stupid. It isn't content, it doesn't improve the game and it isn't worth the time. If you haven't figured it out yet, you eventually will.

This is an mmo with progressive gear grinds, get over it. (snip)

It doesn't have to be. It's just poor design. All adding tiers of gear does is make content that has cost a lot of money and time to develop obsolete. IF they aren't adding a level cap increase, there is no point at all to new tiers of gear. None, zip, zero.

I know, I know, all you bads hate arenas, but if you care that much about a small stat gain then go do arenas. It doesn't take long to get a full set of gear. I've dueled against min/maxed obroan with some of my min/maxed conq toons and I don't notice a difference. They have 1-2k more hp than me and hit like 10 points harder...whooo.

Calling people "bads" because they hate arenas doesn't help your case much. Arenas suck. They are an absolute waste of time and energy. If you like them, have at. They aren't worth my time and it seems a large part of the community feels the same way since ranked is basically dead on most servers and people drop out of arenas in regs as fast as the load.

Back to the gear grind, I had several characters I pvp'd with. Then they added more gear and a new level cap. I didn't have time to grind gear for everyone, so I just did a few (although the totally FUBAR pvp environment at the time meant I didn't do much.) Now I'm down to 2 characters that I do anything resembling regular PVP with (out of 13) and their gear grind isn't done yet. So, add a new tier and they are both farther behind. I expect I will be down to only playing one if I have to go for more gear, yet again. ITs just not worth the time to do the rest. (Yes bolster works ok, and that's the only reason any of my other characters do even occasional PVP at all.)

Edited by DanNV

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:eek: Did I seriously just read that? :eek:

<speechless>

Don't worry. BW actually changed their minds after a player crunched some numbers and provided some real data.

But have no fear. Bolster still won't be fixed. In fact, once we get a new set of gear in April, the Bolster chase will begin anew! Think of all the new and unforeseen exploits we will find. That's our endgame PvP content. What an adventure! WooHoo!!

Edited by DarthOvertone

I've seen you mention the 66/69/58 combo a few times now. Would a 69/66/58 or 69/58/66 combo hit the exact same bolster and damage output on all abilities? Or is there a reason behind using a 66 hilt/barrel instead of a 69 hilt/barrel?

It's much less costly and time consuming to do a 66/69/58 loadout. You have to raid or pay through the nose to get a 69 for MH. And no, the calcs are not the same as power and force power are different on those two builds.

I think it may have to be put into the PVE context for some people to understand. It'd be like having blue gear you got as droploot being equal to the top tier raid gear you get at 55. The logic doesn't work. Edited by Ybini

It's much less costly and time consuming to do a 66/69/58 loadout. You have to raid or pay through the nose to get a 69 for MH. And no, the calcs are not the same as power and force power are different on those two builds.

Wouldn't 72/58/58 be a better combo?

Edited by znihilist

New PvP gear?! :csw_jabbapet:

Please, don't do this. :jawa_redface:

Well, no one will listen to us... :rolleyes: Then remove expertise from pre-2.7 gear, just like with old War Hero!

LOL! Or remove RWZ coms gear i.e. one gear level without obroan leftovers.

I think it's pretty obvious that the reward gear is empty shells... do you really think they are going to hand essentially anyone who participated in ranked a full set of the next tier of gear? Yeah right.

Some of us are smart enough to have realized the gear grind just for the sake of grinding is stupid. It isn't content, it doesn't improve the game and it isn't worth the time. If you haven't figured it out yet, you eventually will.

It doesn't have to be. It's just poor design. All adding tiers of gear does is make content that has cost a lot of money and time to develop obsolete. IF they aren't adding a level cap increase, there is no point at all to new tiers of gear. None, zip, zero.

Calling people "bads" because they hate arenas doesn't help your case much. Arenas suck. They are an absolute waste of time and energy. If you like them, have at. They aren't worth my time and it seems a large part of the community feels the same way since ranked is basically dead on most servers and people drop out of arenas in regs as fast as the load.

Back to the gear grind, I had several characters I pvp'd with. Then they added more gear and a new level cap. I didn't have time to grind gear for everyone, so I just did a few (although the totally FUBAR pvp environment at the time meant I didn't do much.) Now I'm down to 2 characters that I do anything resembling regular PVP with (out of 13) and their gear grind isn't done yet. So, add a new tier and they are both farther behind. I expect I will be down to only playing one if I have to go for more gear, yet again. ITs just not worth the time to do the rest. (Yes bolster works ok, and that's the only reason any of my other characters do even occasional PVP at all.)

Then go play GW2?

QFMFT.

Give up on the "please no new gear grind" request. I too don't want a new gear grind but they will never accommodate this request. Learn to exploit bolster and minimize your grind that way.

Or just grind the gear that will only take a day to get?

Or just grind the gear that will only take a day to get?

If you have no life and/or live in your mother's basement, it might take a day. If you have a life, home and family it takes a LONG time. This game has way more casual players than people who are going to grind a new tier of gear in a day.

If you have no life and/or live in your mother's basement, it might take a day. If you have a life, home and family it takes a LONG time. This game has way more casual players than people who are going to grind a new tier of gear in a day.

:rolleyes: cuz I totally haven't heard that before.

I have a full time job, go to college and hang out with friends. Still only took me one Saturday to get an alt fully geared from partisan to conq. He wasn't min/maxed, but he was in a full set.

Maybe you should stick to single player games instead of mmo's that are based around gear progression?

Edited by Raansu

Maybe you should stick to single player games instead of mmo's that are based around gear progression?

Maybe BW should get a clue and realize that gear progression isn't needed. Maybe you shouldn't invite people to quit playing if you want anyone to play with.

Maybe BW should get a clue and realize that gear progression isn't needed. Maybe you shouldn't invite people to quit playing if you want anyone to play with.

There isn't a clue to get. MMO playstyle is progressive by nature. You don't like that? Don't play MMO's.

There isn't a clue to get. MMO playstyle is progressive by nature. You don't like that? Don't play MMO's.

Progression isn't defined by adding another tier of gear, or doesn't have to be. Thinking that's the only way to define progression is small minded. Progression can be storyline, new content that doesn't make previous content obsolete, etc.

Progression isn't defined by adding another tier of gear, or doesn't have to be. Thinking that's the only way to define progression is small minded. Progression can be storyline, new content that doesn't make previous content obsolete, etc.

You have had your storyline progression through makeb, oricon, the new FP's and the last few raids.

I Played this game at launch, left when i got bored of just doing warzones and a couple of raids that were available... I came back recently and noticed much more content for PVE.. and not much happening on the PVP front apart from 2 new warzones... I think the best thing about SWTOR is the PVP, but unfortunately without adding new content and the much promised WORLD PVP (as illum is a JOKE) the game will soon become boring again... Most people on here are right and i wonder if anyone from SWTOR ever actually take any notice....

DO YOU SERIOUSLY THINK HITTING FOR 500 HARDER ON A HIT IS GOING TO EXCITE THE PLAYERS?

WE WANT MORE CONTENT!!! ESPECIALLY ON THE PVP FRONT...SIMPLE AS THAT

I Played this game at launch, left when i got bored of just doing warzones and a couple of raids that were available... I came back recently and noticed much more content for PVE.. and not much happening on the PVP front apart from 2 new warzones... I think the best thing about SWTOR is the PVP, but unfortunately without adding new content and the much promised WORLD PVP (as illum is a JOKE) the game will soon become boring again... Most people on here are right and i wonder if anyone from SWTOR ever actually take any notice....

DO YOU SERIOUSLY THINK HITTING FOR 500 HARDER ON A HIT IS GOING TO EXCITE THE PLAYERS?

WE WANT MORE CONTENT!!! ESPECIALLY ON THE PVP FRONT...SIMPLE AS THAT

Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that you don't know about the Ilum event at all and still think that it's still vehicles and zone capture.

Maybe you should re-sub for more than two days before considering yourself to be a wiz.

Hi Everyone,

Over the past few weeks, we have been looking into your reports of lower level mods giving higher stats with bolster than Obroan gear. To test this, we checked the relative power of multiple gear sets against each other, which provides us with our “power differential” between players. We are currently shooting for about a 7% gap between bolstering and default Obroan mods, if you assume the same level of augments.

That said, we tested with a Lethality Sniper and found that there is about a 5% differential between Obroan and the bolstered lower level blue mods. This is with default Obroan mods, so there is some customization potential in the PvP gear that would further improve the gap. Both gear sets included Augments and a Power Crystal. Your results may vary depending on your class and specialization.

Bolster tends to favor pure power as a stat, so the lower blue mods WILL show higher bonus damage values vs default Obroan, which, in turn, grants slightly higher base damages on abilities at the sacrifice of other ratings and endurance. For example, with default Obroan, the Explosive Probe tooltip states it maxes at 3876 damage, while with the blue mods and bolster it tops out at 3915. However, Obroan has better alacrity (+0.06%), crit (+6.22%), and health (+343). In the end (and in a perfect rotation environment), the player wearing Obroan will win a duel.

So what we’re seeing is that, yes, if you’re willing to sacrifice other stats for damage output, these mods can be optimal for your play style. This is not our final design implementation and we are going to continue looking at the balance between default Obroan and bolster. However, we are currently okay with where it is, even being a bit less than the target. Do note that we are aware of an issue regarding Main Hand and Off-Hand gear when it comes to Expertise crystals vs. stat crystals, and are working on a solution. I don’t currently have an ETA for you, but will update you as I know more.

-tw

Look at this an then please repeat Your post.

http://s7.directupload.net/images/140223/6gu6u5ut.png

I can't beleave that You don't understand the problem of Your f****** bolster crap.

Edited by Opaknack