PvP people

Docmal

Ok, so every so often I get a desire to PvP again. When I PvP I do pretty well. I play a guardian (vigi, smash and tank) and do rather well. I am not the best player out there but I contribute and I usually rank in the top 3 in damage, and objectives.

Every time I start this, it takes less than a week of playing to remember why I quit PvP. It's the disgusting people. I mean just the absolute, putrid, pathetic dirt bags that spout horrific things at others. Don't get me wrong, obviously the vast majority of people who PvP are normal human beings. However, there seems to be a population of spiteful, immature, down right awful people that PvP and they give the PvP community a terrible reputation. And the competitive nature of PvP brings out the worst in them.

I have some questions for the community. If you are not one of these people, how do you cope with them? And I am not talking about criticism. I can handle that. I am talking about nasty, taunting, disrespectful nonsense.

Also, if you do, why do you taunt, mock and belittle others when you play? Some of the top PvP guilds on my server have members who, after they win handily they feel the need to taunt. They say things like "Get raped you losers" among other less tame examples.

Anyway, I suggest everyone, myself included, attempt to be a better community. After all, it is a game and we are all playing to have fun.

If you are not one of these people, how do you cope with them? And I am not talking about criticism. I can handle that. I am talking about nasty, taunting, disrespectful nonsense.

Most of the time they don't bother me, but then I only PvP in MMOs so I have had years of exposure to these types.

I put the really, really bad ones on ignore. They don't bring anything meaningful to the match and I don't care if I don't read their callouts in chat because I know how to look at the map and play the numbers game. The worst ones are usually poor players anyway, so their chat is not missed at all.

If they bother you that bad then leave the warzone if you end up on their team. Don't feel guilty, it is your money, you pay to play for enjoyment not to be irritated.

For the ones who direct their anger straight at me, I either respond with a "<3" or ignore them completely. Make your own fun and don't let others spoil it for you. :)

If they are raging at me - consider if they have a point beyond their delivery method. if they do, admit it - "my bad" and move on. And whether they do or not, ignore their ranting itself. If they are raging at someone else, whisper that someone else to offer "moral support" (for lack of a better term) - just find if out they are new - offer help if it's wanted, and let them know that not everyone is an assh@t who thinks that every mistake in a WZ is always unforgivable and always someone else's fault.

And just keep playing. Been in some games where we made the rager shut-the-hell-up by just stepping up and winning. :D

Also, a lot of times, I think you can pre-emptively keep them quite. Just lost mid because your team wasn't watching behind their backs and let it get ninja'd? Type into chat "oops - but plenty of time guys, just go take it back" (which is my phrasing because I'm usually guarding the off node). Someone get lept to for the score in HB - type "try not to stand on the ledge - it's an easy score for leap classes". Just take the situation where you KNOW someone is going to rage, and put something out there first that's more constructive. Doesn't always work - but sometimes it prevents the raging since I guess they see that someone already pointed out the mistake and then they'd feel a bit too much like a jerk to repeat-point-it-out? I dunno the psychology, but it seems to work somewhat. Or maybe I'm just delusional? :)

Those are things I try to do. Sometimes I get fed up and switch to a toon that's in a different bracket, or on the other faction so that at least I won't get that particular jerk in my WZ again. Sometimes I quit for the night and go do something else.

I havent noticed it. Then again, 15 years of FPS, where everyone is using a mic, tends to take the edge off of things. Or maybe it's because I'm an ******e so everything I come across is percieved as lenient in relation to the stuff I could come up with. I'm always balancing on the line between "this is probably legal" and "yeah they're going to call the feds". Edited by MidichIorian

Most of the really terribad people don't have much to say to me.

When they do, I just sit back and ask them to take note of how far they are down on the list of damage, kills, and objectives compared to me. When teammates start arguing, I make it a point to score higher and do better than the loudmouths who are wasting their time typing instead of capping objectives. I like proving points.

If I remember a really bad angry-hater person and I end up on a team with them? I'll leave the match before it starts. There's only 2-3 people that are like this, and backfill always replaces me. I don't mind bad players learning, but people who get off on insulting others need to go **** themselves. It's even more fun to frustrate and focus down the really mean people, silently killing them over and over, and pointing out their skill deficiency. I remember making one guy /rage quit .

Only time I give grief to someone is if they're doing something stupid. E.g. Ignoring chat calls, not interrupting caps, ignoring healers, leaving objectives unguarded, and running the wrong way in HB. But that last one just makes me laugh. It's an MMO you're only as good as your team, if some people don't really care about it it's going to frustrate the serious players.

Chronic stupidity deserves no respect, sorry.

The only time I've ever "yelled" at anyone was when they were obviously afk and/or deliberately not helping, but I'll occasionally say something in ops chat if my team is losing very badly and obviously not trying along the lines of "go back to pve". I'll also sometimes berate players generally for doing things like going en masse to the left node at the start of a Civil War match.

But 99% of the time I really don't see much trash talk in wzs and what is there is very tame compared to other games (or sports - some competitive players can be vicious to underperformers and, sometimes, members of the other team to try to psyche them out).

Only time I give grief to someone is if they're doing something stupid. E.g. Ignoring chat calls, not interrupting caps, ignoring healers, leaving objectives unguarded, and running the wrong way in HB. But that last one just makes me laugh. It's an MMO you're only as good as your team, if some people don't really care about it it's going to frustrate the serious players.

Chronic stupidity deserves no respect, sorry.

At least someone understands.

Pretty much just /ignore them. I hate dealing with such negativity, so I don't :-)

This.

Although usually it's because while they hide in the corner or backseat-drive while defending our only node I'm too busy playing to talk back.

I've tried calling them out but it's worthless, morons can't be talked to. I had one tell me he can't fight because Sages are squishy. My main is DPS sorc and usually gets 2-3 times the damage of the rest of the team, and if he was a healer he should be in the middle of the action healing us instead of talking smack to his own team from defending a node.

It's not worth engaging. Just vote to kick (it will work someday) then /ignore.

Well, just had an odd experience that I think belongs to this thread. Had a same-faction lowbie arena against a lvl 11 consular that had not picked an advanced class yet. After the match I tried to send a whisper to see if the person needed some guidance... I was ALREADY on her ignore.

One match, and I didn't even focus her. I figured she (toon was a female anyway, no idea if the player was) probably got so much crap from her own team that she just put everyone involved on ignore and went back to PvE. I find that really sad. I suppose some people will say "good".

Well, just had an odd experience that I think belongs to this thread. Had a same-faction lowbie arena against a lvl 11 consular that had not picked an advanced class yet. After the match I tried to send a whisper to see if the person needed some guidance... I was ALREADY on her ignore.

One match, and I didn't even focus her. I figured she (toon was a female anyway, no idea if the player was) probably got so much crap from her own team that she just put everyone involved on ignore and went back to PvE. I find that really sad. I suppose some people will say "good".

Happens to me all the time. Random people just seem to have me on ignore lol

At least someone understands.

you do realize there's a difference between chastising someone for doing something tactically wrong and personally attacking him, right?

and I'll occasionally rage on someone too. but I try not to type anything (just in mumble amongst my own friends) or I'll just leave the WZ if I feel like I'll only rage if I stay.

directly addressing the op, yes, pvp certainly enjoys a significantly higher concentration of ppl who personally insult others and could easily be charged with harassment, ironically, in the real world. internet anonymity and so forth...

you do realize there's a difference between chastising someone for doing something tactically wrong and personally attacking him, right?

Some people just don't care.

I remember an public internet forum where it became a running joke to say "oh, it's Friday again" when the posts became more heated, more hateful etc. ... You could almost tell which day it was (usually the end of the week or the beginning) by how people decided to take "The Internet" as an outlet for their frustration into an ragefest.

PvP makes an "adrenaline rush". And that adrenaline rush, I fear, kind of makes people forget civilized behaviour.

I don't approve of personal attacks either. But I will let someone know when they make bad calls.

And usually not in a nice way because that doesn't work anyway.

The worst cases (like the ones who constantly harass the team while offering no ideas on how to improve the situation) I /ignore. Unfortunately, since /ignore doesn't work like it works in group finder, /ignoring people might end up hurting your own team since now you don't see when those whiners scream for help when they're guarding the offnode. The other cases you're better off just ignoring in your mind. If it helps, imagine them all being 12-year-old kids (unfortunately, many of them are not).

The ones that aren't completely hopeless, just people with a short temper, sometimes shut up if you actually say something against them (especially if you're not the one they are raging at). And I don't mean starting to shout insults back at them, just something short and snappy that makes them come back to earth. My personal favourite is the people who start shouting how the whole team sucks - somehow "you do realize you're part of this team?" usually shuts them up. If they don't shut up, though, better not to start a chat war with them, that would just hurt your team even more than the one, lone guy.

You can also ask them if they have something actually useful to say, like a way to turn this situation into a win. If that raging person is actually good at the game and just frustrated, he might calm down after noticing that there are people in the team willing to listen to directions and you might get a winning tactic from the him. If he's a 12-year-old kid who just likes to yell at people, he's forced to admit that no, he also has no idea what to do.

Edited by Seireeni

Ok, so every so often I get a desire to PvP again. When I PvP I do pretty well. I play a guardian (vigi, smash and tank) and do rather well. I am not the best player out there but I contribute and I usually rank in the top 3 in damage, and objectives.

Every time I start this, it takes less than a week of playing to remember why I quit PvP. It's the disgusting people. I mean just the absolute, putrid, pathetic dirt bags that spout horrific things at others. Don't get me wrong, obviously the vast majority of people who PvP are normal human beings. However, there seems to be a population of spiteful, immature, down right awful people that PvP and they give the PvP community a terrible reputation. And the competitive nature of PvP brings out the worst in them.

I have some questions for the community. If you are not one of these people, how do you cope with them? And I am not talking about criticism. I can handle that. I am talking about nasty, taunting, disrespectful nonsense.

Also, if you do, why do you taunt, mock and belittle others when you play? Some of the top PvP guilds on my server have members who, after they win handily they feel the need to taunt. They say things like "Get raped you losers" among other less tame examples.

Anyway, I suggest everyone, myself included, attempt to be a better community. After all, it is a game and we are all playing to have fun.

Do you find the disgusting type of person who publicly insults groups of people they never met based on the limited personal interaction they have had with that group? What do they call those people again?...

People that QQ and rage in pvp chat against their own teammates are good for a laugh. I wouldn't take it out of the game because it is faaaaar to amusing to not have around. Often these folks don't understand how to read the mini map or check for inc calls anyways so it is basically the pot calling the kettle black...which is of course even more hilarious.

The really abusive folks that spout truly offensive rhetoric can just be reported for harassment easily enough if you are so inclined...but I doubt anything truly happens to them for the most part.

It's a computer game.

Why would anyone give two hoots what some random person on the other side of the world thinks of your ability to play it?

it does tend to sap the fun out of the game when one calls you an "idiot" or sees a poor player in the ops and proceeds to degrade the guy to the whole ops. I mean...really. you don't want to deal with pugs, go Q 4's. what? nobody's Qing for 4s? guess what, you need the "worthless pugs." so zip it.

:2cents: