Aces?

Argonloris

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that I may catch a lot of heat from this, however I think/believe that it needs to be said. Almost all of the POT5 "Ace" pilots should be removed. In fact, if you intend to continue this thread, you should butch up a little and clearly define what an "Ace" is. I have seen members of a well know squadron, using voice chat, clearly buffing their stats by having other members assist them in weakening a foe, then the assist will peal off after the enemy is almost dead, and allowing the 'Member of the moment' to come in for the kill. They will do this repeatedly, allowing a guild member to build up an incredibly amount of kills, to be screen captured, and posted as some truly great achievement.

Guys, this is not what 'Ace' should be about. At least, not in my humble opinion. I have seen Scrab, who fights both imp and pub, rack up @40 kills, absolutely unassisted, while I was chasing him, in a match up that did not favor him, and Toe, like wise. These pilots fully deserve the 'Ace' commendation. I have not encountered any other pilots like them, and I simply acknowledge their fighting skill. They are both great, and I only wish that my team could fly as good.

Many of the 'Ace' POT5 chars, even though they do post often (some are GM's), and good information, in the forums, should not be held up as "Ace" fighters. If you truly want a listing of 'Ace pilots' , please define what an 'Ace' is. And this definition should be very stringent, if it is to have any validity Otherwise you have only a "We are the Aces" list. A list that means nothing, a list that commands no respect.

Just my opinion Bwulf/Akhillews pub/imp.. been here since launch.

I have seen members of a well know squadron, using voice chat, clearly buffing their stats by having other members assist them in weakening a foe, then the assist will peal off after the enemy is almost dead, and allowing the 'Member of the moment' to come in for the kill. They will do this repeatedly, allowing a guild member to build up an incredibly amount of kills, to be screen captured, and posted as some truly great achievement.

I would like to know which squadron you think does this. I know of no pilots in <Black Squadron> who would do or have done this. Just because you see someone using teamwork doesn't mean you should automatically assume they are feeding someone kills. If you are going to make accusations like this then you should at least provide proof.

Many of the 'Ace' POT5 chars, even though they do post often (some are GM's), and good information, in the forums, should not be held up as "Ace" fighters. If you truly want a listing of 'Ace pilots' , please define what an 'Ace' is. And this definition should be very stringent, if it is to have any validity Otherwise you have only a "We are the Aces" list. A list that means nothing, a list that commands no respect.

Just my opinion Bwulf/Akhillews pub/imp.. been here since launch.

I refer you to my previous post:

What defines an "Ace" though? This whole thread seems to just be a list of pilots who some people think are pretty good. Shouldn't an "Ace" be held to a higher standard? Someone who changes the flow of battle with their mere presence. There are people that I have flown with/against where I knew immediately that they would have to be dealt with or accounted for throughout the course of the match. People who push whichever ship they are flying to its limit, doing things that are either difficult to counter or hard to stop.

In my opinion these Aces should not be considered as such if they primarily fly only one type of ship. Any half decent pilot can become great if they fly only 1 type of ship for a vast majority of their matches. It is the truly exceptional pilots that can make an impact in multiple roles. I have seen fantastic gunship pilots who were horrible in scouts, or great bomber pilots who couldn't fly a gunship if all they had to do was not run into a satellite. These pilots are good at what they specialize in, but have almost no flexibility. This flexibility is something that is needed to compete against an equally skilled enemy team.

Without naming any names, some of the people on the Pot5 republic list are great pilots, but not Aces in my book. They are very one-dimensional, or merely average when not in their primary class of ship. I won't name names because everyone on the pub list knows me, and I think you are all very good, but not all of you are what I consider to be an "Ace."

P.S. - Brobeans.....I miss you flying with me

Ballistic..

Hopefully you know your guild members better than I. I do not wish to result in naming names. That was not the point of the thread. But make no mistake sir,, as much as I respect and like the BS guild, I have seen instances of stat pumping. It is up to you to manage this, within your guild. Ace's should be held to a higher standard. I aspire to archive such a standard.

Bwulf/Akhillews pot5 pub/imp

PLZ define what constitutes an "Ace"

Edited by TheOldDruid
Thread focus

Well if that aint some funny bs there BS does not do that and trust me if I could get credit for every person I damage and get right to the end and some one eles is targeting the same one and they get the credit for the kill I would

stat pumping absurd and would not even if it could be done be tolerated so you sir are saidly mistaken and trust me a the gm of Black Squadron to which you are referring this not happening heck some matchs im in I can get 15 kills and 15 assist but almost allways regularly get 20-30 assist just because we play well and assist dose not mean we are pumping stats and why would we I myself am over 1700 matches played and have more mastered ships then I care to play to be honest we do all kinds of stuff just to make it intristing now days

but as to stat pumping for screenies you are sadly mistaken and I believe you are little jealous

Edited by Lytewraith
misspell

Well if that aint some funny bs there BS does not do that and trust me if I could get credit for every person I damage and get right to the end and some one eles is targeting the same one and they get the credit for the kill I would

stat pumping absurd and would not even if it could be done be tolerated so you sir are saidly mistaken and trust me a the gm of Black Squadron to which you are referring this not happening heck some matchs im in I can get 15 kills and 15 assist but almost allways regularly get 20-30 assist just because we play well and assist dose not mean we are pumping stats and why would we I myself am over 1700 matches played and have more mastered ships then I care to play to be honest we do all kinds of stuff just to make it intristing now days

but as to stat pumping for screenies you are sadly mistaken and I believe you are little jealous

i think that it is hilarious that you type exactly like you talk

Lytewraith , I have been in matches with you where you have basically parked your ship rather than engage in the slaughter that was happening due to the severe imbalance. You and the other few members of BS that I recognize on sight, always fight a good fight. I should not have said or implied that the 2 chars farming stats were BS members. When I woke up this morning, with a mildly severe hangover, I saw that once again my fingers out ran my brain. I regret that happened.

GSF fighters can be put into 4 groups. imo

1. new pilot -- asteroid and blaster fodder. they usually get better

2. average+ pilot -- always has a kill to death ratio better than 1, can solo kill and take nodes

3. topgun pilot -- these are the pilots that I and others try to emulate, to learn from. they are good. you have many

4. ace pilot -- these pilots often inspire their opponents to use words like 'hacker', in ops chat, while they are waiting for their ship to re-spawn.

There were some 500,000 aircraft used in WWII. Most of those craft and the million plus pilots that flew them, never saw direct combat. Of the tens of thousands of pilots and aircraft gunners that did engage in direct combat, less than 1300, world wide, made it to the 'ace' list. I have often thought this list would be much shorter if edited by true aces.

I know that this is just a game, and it really doesn't matter. But some words do have a history. Imo, ace pilot needs to describe someone who can pug and or group, and clearly take it to the next level. Time after time. They excel even when saddled with a team of new pilots and a lost game. In some 230 hours of GSF time, I have seen 3 such players on our server. You know who they are. Certainly there may be more.

Once again, I do regret using the words stat farming in the same paragraph as my reply to you.

Bwulf/Akhillews pot5

Akhillews, I don't disagree with anything you've said, but in a public forum, it's more diplomatic to be "over-inclusive". If you want a more exclusive list -- say, the five or ten best pilots on a server -- since there isn't a ladder currently, you'd do better to send private messages to people you'd suspect would be on that list and get their opinions.

In the end, I don't think any list we compile here will satisfy everyone. After all, we're probably only a minority of total pilots even reading this thread, and as it's been mentioned, we all have different definitions for what an ace is. I know not many consider satellite huggers the best of pilots, but even so, it does take some skills to hold out and survive when you're all alone.

Anyway, might as well take the opportunity to mention Irha seems to be racking up the kills for the Republic on the Progenitor.

I believe we can all agree that that the asteroids have the highest killcount and KD ratio out of all of us.

I dunno, I've seen that radar tower on the rep capital ships be a stone-cold killer. There is an obvious Imperial bias since THEY don't have radar towers to run into.

its kool droid ive had those nights as well and yea those astroids poping up out of no where kills so many we need a memorial for it ol

but yea if If I see it is totally unfair match I will just pull out and let the inexperienced players try to fight it out and have some fun like ill fly around the map and just check out the pictures views and maybe learn a new hole to dip into when I need cover

I truly don't like the one sided fights or cap ship camping but it isn't the way we want sometimes and I feel bad to face roll for no reason I love gsf and wish it we really had a ranked mode it would help so much if we could get the populas to do it

as far as that leader board thing I don't think it reflects true standings because you can sit at a cap ship nd aoe ion damage on those turrets to pump up damage

Edited by Lytewraith
add info

I believe we can all agree that that the asteroids have the highest killcount and KD ratio out of all of us.

they're at what? 500,000/1 right now?

I'd honestly like to see a mode for April Fools where they add Asteroids as a 3rd faction just to see how many times they end up winning the match.

Do you guys ever get these ?

LOL. That's hilarious that at least one person will try to use this list to validate their skills.

I'm also pretty sure this person flies a gunship. So...I guess he's never heard of burst lasers?

I find it even more funny because it happened on my server.

That is true some funny crap. Goes to show you there is no excuse for bad manners. Should put a bounty on his head. Should have all the real ace's come from every server on the game just to hunt him and see what kind of a ace he really is.

A attitude like that shows he is not hes just a blowed up ego on a forum page . That is precisely what I would not concider a ace .Yes we had those elitist types on our server too for awile, then when they couldn't fly for being hunted by everyone and yes we will go out of our way .

What server did this transpire on I would like to come play and get in the fun.

Goes to show you there is no excuse for bad manners.

What server did this transpire on I would like to come play and get in the fun.

Looked like both people involved were using bad manners. There is no point in telling people they are bad. Just show them. Looks like it was on The Harbinger.

TBH, most people in this list for the harbinger are gunship pilots.

Donna'lynn has kindly told me that I am one of those people that complain about everything, needless to say, I don't complain about " everything" I just complain about gunships, and gunship stacked deathmatches where you spend the whole time chasing gunships.

Im sorry but that kind of game is unenjoyable.

I have a lot more respect for people that fly other types and do well. Although, I also think the burst cannon damage needs a small tweak to bring its burst down, but its manageable unlike a hoard of gunships...

Looked like both people involved were using bad manners. There is no point in telling people they are bad. Just show them. Looks like it was on The Harbinger.

they are both the same person,

I told him he was "bad" after about 15 min of whispering me, till i ignored him, and he whispered me on another character, which I then called bad. Maybe I do have bad manners, but If you're gonna be a dbag then be prepared for the worst.

as far as being a "Gunship pilot", eh. I do ok in whatever I'm flying

Edited by Phatsac

ToFN

Imperial list here is so empty.... i wanna add one for now: Vospirus . He is good Sting pilot & real dogfighter. Its allways fun to meet him with my Flashfire:> For example:

http://www.image-share.com/upload/2461/87.jpg

That was really good fight i remember. Will add more imps if i notice some.

Best regards all Gsf flyers:>

Edit: Also Kelduin is imp guy.

http://www.image-share.com/upload/2461/88.jpg

Edited by prokonto

It's laughable we are all able to be killed no one is indestructible in gsf yea sometimes we do stupid things like me not knowing proper Punctuation .

Bottom line is we are here to have fun and I'm talking with some friends about getting everyone together on pts next time is up. Everyone char copy your best gsf toon's and form your guild up and lets have some fun and really test these new ships out before launch .Last pts went bad with the bomber and enemy's vanishing off map in the same zone.

We could have full teams running aginst full teams and im sure there is enough people who vid to record an broadcast.I think that would be a lot of fun .Not t mention good for testing the new ships in a good and hostile war zone instead of agins people who just ground pvp trying it and saying um the it erase.

Edited by Lytewraith
misspell