Aces?

Argonloris

In other words, it is grim on the imp side on Pot5, zuchi just has scrubs like me :rolleyes: as his wingmen

Well most of the listed players on the repub side also fly on the imp side a few matches a day. I know that my guild and a few other pilots do our dailies at the minimum. So it is not so grim as you may think. We do beat up on the other repub pilots as well when we get pub vs pub matches. :)

Edited by BallisticID

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well most of the listed players on the repub side also fly on the imp side a few matches a day. I know that my guild and a few other pilots do our dailies at the minimum. So it is not so grim as you may think. We do beat up on the other repub pilots as well when we get pub vs pub matches. :)

I fly both sides as well, but our community of pilots, like some other servers is small and shrinking. Bioware needs to do something or everyone will quit playing.

I fly both sides as well, but our community of pilots, like some other servers is small and shrinking. Bioware needs to do something or everyone will quit playing.

well like any of the group finder or pvp matchmaking, having a cross-server queue would basically fix everything, though you would almost never play against the same people twice in a row.

It would also keep people from syncing their queues as often as they do on pot5 and getting 8 friends against 8 preferred/f2p pilots.

The issue I see with that though is the latency issues that would crop up. Already many people have issues without trying to add a cross-server to the mix.

Aw shhhiiiit, thanks <3. Who is this by the way?

Hey, truth hurts, and god knows I've played em' all.

Even though we haven't played in forever, I still can't think of any other dogfighters who can compete solo as well as yourself.

Minus Elaria of course, she tears everyone up pretty good in that FF as well.

-Scixx

Well, I'm not advocating for competive disadvantage, I borderline never fly premade, hate gunship lines and despise the practice of turtling and spawn camping, however I do take the same enjoyment out of seeing a highly productive personal output and a greater disparity of scores as much as I would a close match. Those games that aren't so close work as great opportunity to fly ships other than the one I'm currently trying to master to bust out an way daily req bonus. I'm not a monster for wanting to win every match I play.

Re: the bolded - no, of course not. Neither I not anyone else faults you for wanting to win, nor even for wanting to make a splash on the scoreboards. I broke 100k damage in a match yesterday, and it was nice to see that number on the board (not bragging, I know others do this regularly, it's just pretty unusual for me). The point is that most good pilots seem to get more enjoyment/satisfaction out of a hard-fought victory than a 1000-3 match. You can sleepwalk through those and still end up with 18 kills, right? It might be fun to look at the numbers, but is that really as much fun as eking out a 1000-950 victory over a team that puts up a fight? You can still rack up good numbers in competitive matches, you know.

If you're simply trying to practice with or trick out a seldom-used ship, then I guess that makes a little more sense. But it wouldn't it be more satisfying to post those great numbers on a non-mastered ship, in a match that's actually not a total snoozefest? I would think that would give a good pilot the greatest personal sense of accomplishment.

well like any of the group finder or pvp matchmaking, having a cross-server queue would basically fix everything, though you would almost never play against the same people twice in a row.

It would also keep people from syncing their queues as often as they do on pot5 and getting 8 friends against 8 preferred/f2p pilots.

The issue I see with that though is the latency issues that would crop up. Already many people have issues without trying to add a cross-server to the mix.

Theoretically, you should only add a few milliseconds to the latency, maybe ten at most -- but that assumes everything's working properly.

Aw that's just little old me, slowly and painfully levelling up my Imp ships.

Glad to hear you're doing this. Somehow I don't think I've managed to end up grouped with your imp alter ego. But I'll be sure to keep an eye out.

Which reminds me: in an earlier post I mentioned a TDM match yesterday that ended in a 1-kill loss (41-40 or 42-41, I forget). In the lobby prior to that match, one frequent imp flier (who I will not name) looked at the opposition - which included a few very familiar pub names - and declared, "we have no chance". And then he immediately dropped. My guess is that in addition to the pub names, he was also looking at the # of ships displayed under each imp player's name; several on our side only had three. One of our guys said specifically, "hey, I only have three ships, but that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing." That particular player did pretty well in the match.

Point is, and the reason I thought to mention this, is that I'm guessing most good players who typically fly pub will look like noobs in an imp lobby. The aforementioned guy could have ended up with a Grunty in his lobby and still quit because he didn't think we had enough talent (and to be fair, @Phatbeard, for all I know you have a hangar full of imp ships, I'm just using you as an example). And maybe we would have eked out a win if that guy had stayed. If/when we do see an influx of talent imp side, I hope our teams don't ragequit without giving the new guys a chance.

Which reminds me: in an earlier post I mentioned a TDM match yesterday that ended in a 1-kill loss (41-40 or 42-41, I forget). In the lobby prior to that match, one frequent imp flier (who I will not name) looked at the opposition - which included a few very familiar pub names - and declared, "we have no chance". And then he immediately dropped.

This is why I never drop a match unless I have a group of people waiting on me. Some of my best games have come from matchups my team considered hopeless. It works the other way, too -- sometimes a name on the other team that I don't recognize will surprise me and clean up my team. It's really not as easy to predict a match from the lineups as people think it is.

Especially now that you can drag ships off of your list, it's pretty much impossible to tell by just looking at the lobby list. There are terrible 5-ship pilots and awesome 2-ship pilots (or even just 1-ship), even though it can look intimidating at the start. Some of my most memorable games have been when all those pre-match expectations get blown away.

I don't believe I've ever dropped out of a match based on the opponents or certainly didn't do so intentionally. That didn't stop the 'Oh crap, this is probably going to suck' thoughts from creeping in, but you don't get better by playing it easy all the time.

Especially now that you can drag ships off of your list, it's pretty much impossible to tell by just looking at the lobby list. There are terrible 5-ship pilots and awesome 2-ship pilots (or even just 1-ship), even though it can look intimidating at the start. Some of my most memorable games have been when all those pre-match expectations get blown away.

I don't believe I've ever dropped out of a match based on the opponents or certainly didn't do so intentionally. That didn't stop the 'Oh crap, this is probably going to suck' thoughts from creeping in, but you don't get better by playing it easy all the time.

Same, I've never dropped either, despite being fairly confident that the situation was hopeless. I do feel like I'm getting surprised more often lately by quality 2- or 3-ship pilots, and maybe that's because, as you noted, you can take ships off the list. I'm not really sure why people would do that with regularity (I mean, if you have >5 ships, I get it, but I don't know why you'd bother removing anything if you've got 5 or fewer), but who knows.

I also see a couple of frequent imp fliers regularly complaining in fleet chat about this kind of imbalance (i.e. repeatedly getting grouped with "noobs" and pitted against a team of 5-ship pilots). If they'd suck it up and stuck it out, I'll bet they'd be pleasantly surprised.

(I mean, if you have >5 ships, I get it, but I don't know why you'd bother removing anything if you've got 5 or fewer)

It's just clutter. Sure, I could leave my bombers and gunship on the list... but I hate playing them, and can rarely contribute more with them than my scouts and pike, so why leave them when they look ugly?

It's just clutter. Sure, I could leave my bombers and gunship on the list... but I hate playing them, and can rarely contribute more with them than my scouts and pike, so why leave them when they look ugly?

Fair enough, I get that. I'm just not sure this is widespread enough to explain all the better-than-expected 2/3-ship pilots I'm running into. Maybe there's more people bothered by clutter than I realize?

Incidentally - 3 matches today (JC/imp, as usual), 3 crushing victories. It's unnerving, I'm not used to this. And most of the guys flying with me are these same 2/3-ship players.

Edited by MaximilianPower

Maybe there's more people bothered by clutter than I realize?

Or the optimistic view that there are a fair number of preferred/f2p pilots starting to get the hang of things. It makes a huge difference when bottom 2-4 pilots are modestly competent flyers vs just trying to successfully fly away from the capital ship without running into it.

Edited by Levitt

I fly Imp side on the JC. I think u can figure out who I am by my forum name but if u can't I am SithAce.

I also fly pub side with on occasion "that premade". I also fly with "that premade" on Imp side.

I have brought them over to the darkside with a little help from another player from them too. The balance has changed on JC cus you all really have no idea who your flying with now a days.

To everyone out there don't drop matches!

When I first started flying everything was even then some on the pub side got better and I like most got owned flying at that time Imp only. But I got to know the flyers on the pub side and made friends with them! And now those hated pubs fly Imp as well. BTW we win on IMP side just as much as they did exclusively on pub.

They truly have a lot of talent individually and as a premade.

You can not get better complaining but you can get better by befriending everybody and just fly with them!

I can not say who anybody is cus that is up to them to let people know who they are, not me, don't ask please.

Just think tho if you see me flying there just maybe someone you don't like very much flying with me and YOU. lol

Don't hate the player hate the game.

Edited by SithAceI

Or the optimistic view that there are a fair number of preferred/f2p pilots starting to get the hang of things. It makes a huge difference when bottom 2-4 pilots are modestly competent flyers vs just trying to successfully fly away from the capital ship without running into it.

This is kinda what I'm thinking. Or maybe a combo of that, people like Armondd who don't like clutter, and something I alluded to before, which fits with this:

I fly Imp side on the JC. I think u can figure out who I am by my forum name but if u can't I am SithAce.

I also fly pub side with on occasion "that premade". I also fly with "that premade" on Imp side.

I have brought them over to the darkside with a little help from another player from them too. The balance has changed on JC cus you all really have no idea who your flying with now a days.

To everyone out there don't drop matches!

When I first started flying everything was even then some on the pub side got better and I like most got owned flying at that time Imp only. But I got to know the flyers on the pub side and made friends with them! And now those hated pubs fly Imp as well. BTW we win on IMP side just as much as they did exclusively on pub.

They truly have a lot of talent individually and as a premade.

You can not get better complaining but you can get better by befriending everybody and just fly with them!

I can not say who anybody is cus that is up to them to let people know who they are, not me, don't ask please.

Just think tho if you see me flying there just maybe someone you don't like very much flying with me and YOU. lol

Don't hate the player hate the game.

...because the quality pub pilots are probably often starting from scratch imp side, hence they won't have a hangar full of ships yet. Yet they're just as good as or better than most of us imp veterans.

@SithAce - I've seen you, and I am aware that the movement you're describing is in fact taking place. I do think we're already starting to see the benefits imp side. So I echo your call to NOT drop matches based on whatever you see in the lobby.

I played four matches today, the last against THAT premade, and a couple of imp regulars AGAIN immediately dropped upon seeing our opponents. Yet lo and behold, it ended up as of the most competitive matches I've been involved in against those guys. We lost, yes, but not 1000-3 - it was more like 1000-700, with a lot of back and forth. Definitely encouraging.

Just played a match for daily. We won. New guys all around to a point.

Gave some instruction and they actually followed them. We won.

Don't stop working on your skills or ships!

@MaximillianPower yes they do fly Imp and no they do have great ships too! lol

This is kinda what I'm thinking. Or maybe a combo of that, people like Armondd who don't like clutter, and something I alluded to before, which fits with this:

...because the quality pub pilots are probably often starting from scratch imp side, hence they won't have a hangar full of ships yet. Yet they're just as good as or better than most of us imp veterans.

@SithAce - I've seen you, and I am aware that the movement you're describing is in fact taking place. I do think we're already starting to see the benefits imp side. So I echo your call to NOT drop matches based on whatever you see in the lobby.

I played four matches today, the last against THAT premade, and a couple of imp regulars AGAIN immediately dropped upon seeing our opponents. Yet lo and behold, it ended up as of the most competitive matches I've been involved in against those guys. We lost, yes, but not 1000-3 - it was more like 1000-700, with a lot of back and forth. Definitely encouraging.

Things have evened about a bit on JC. Thinking back to GSF launch, it took about 4-6 weeks before the level of competition noticeably improved. That puts the preferred players at the point where they're competitive, while the F2P are still trying to figure out how to move, shoot, and not turn themselves into modern art on the sides of asteroids.

Unknown: Kintaro, Orrelson

A few minor corrections for The Bastion: Kintaro is Imperial. Orrelson is Republic. Xanckef is listed twice, once as Xancker. Graventhal's correct spelling is Graventhel. Bettyknight's correct spelling is Bettynight.

Thank you for updating the thread, by the way. :jawa_biggrin:

Edited by TrinityLyre

For Shadowlands Imps, I nominate Ragedreamer. He is a good gun who can lay down some pain when he flies with us. I'm kinda touched that somehow I made the list, because I'm really not that good, just persistent LOL.

FOR THE EMPIRE! something something...