Concern for the future

MjSplicer

Well... IMO the thing is there isn't any loyalty among the players anymore. Players used to be loyal to a game and stuck with it until the wheels fell off. There was a better sense of a community.

I agree with you on this.

And... INB4 others school you with a virtual ruler and erasers to the forehead on how the only reason players have become nomadic is because of the industry turning to sand. Because players are never to blame for anything. :p

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have no idea what ESO is and don't care. This same thread has been posted every time a new MMO comes out. They've all been predicted to end the game. Good thing you guys aren't betting money on these predictions. You continue to be "concerned" and "worry" and lose sleep over this while I go back to playing the game and having fun.

I agree with you on this.

And... INB4 others school you with a virtual ruler and erasers to the forehead on how the only reason players have become nomadic is because of the industry turning to sand. Because players are never to blame for anything. :p

Blame is easier to give then to recieve, thats why its cast about so freely. I think too many people focus on casting blame rather than finding solutions. In this instance the solution to this is found inside the individual, not the game, but self examination might put you in a place where your uncomfortable, and god forbid you wouldn't want that, not in this PC duchebag world.

Interesting to me though is the nomadic nature. I've noticed, and i know i'm not alone, that a majority of humans dislike change, and nomadism is to be in a constant state of flux or change. So i ask myself "why would people put themselves into this state of being ? " The only awnser i have come up with is they still haven't found what their looking for, there are probably more reasons but thats the one i keep coming back to, now is it becouse what their looking for can't be found ( doubtful ) or have they failed to ask themselves "what do I want and how do I go about getting it " if anyting its an interesting conundrum and i can't wait to see how it plays out.

BTW there are 2 quotes from songs i borrowed not in quotes thumbs up to the first one to find them and name the bands.

Edited by Etheric

Everything I see and read about ESO points to it being another theme park MMO with very little to offer to make it stand out from other theme park MMOs, this one included. The one piece of good news I've seen about it is a significant overhaul in graphics that bring the art style more in line with what we saw in Skyrim. Will SWTOR lose some subscribers? Probably. Will it make that big of a difference? Probably not.

To the people who post that Skyrim's only plus is being moddable, stop kidding yourselves. That's what's keeping it going 3 years later, not what won it game of the year. It was and is an excellent RPG. The mods just allow it to be changed to keep it fresh or look prettier.

Edited by RobNightfall

Blame is easier to give then to recieve, thats why its cast about so freely. I think too many people focus on casting blame rather than finding solutions. In this instance the solution to this is found inside the individual, not the game, but self examination might put you in a place where your uncomfortable, and god forbid you wouldn't want that, not in this PC duchebag world.

Interesting to me though is the nomadic nature. I've noticed, and i know i'm not alone, that a majority of humans dislike change, and nomadism is to be in a constant state of flux or change. So i ask myself "why would people put themselves into this state of being ? " The only awnser i have come up with is they still haven't found what their looking for, there are probably more reasons but thats the one i keep coming back to, now is it becouse what their looking for can't be found ( doubtful ) or have they failed to ask themselves "what do I want and how do I go about getting it " if anyting its an interesting conundrum and i can't wait to see how it plays out.

BTW there are 2 quotes from songs i borrowed not in quotes thumbs up to the first one to find them and name the bands.

The beauty of video games shares common ground with books (remember those?) and movies. They are a diversion. A departure from the persistent brow beatings that the rat race promiscuously and unceremoniously dishes out. They can be picked up and just as quickly put down. Though I've never seen a reader who was let down by a book go to the publisher's office and throw rocks through their front window yelling for them to change chapter 5 because the droid's armor skin should have been camo instead of paisley.

I personally don't believe that humans dislike change. I think most would welcome change, they just loathe entertaining thoughts of discomfort that are associated with it. Risk is a four letter word that many might identify with at the Pazaak table, but are scared to death of at the negotiating table. Folks need to relearn how to let go and stop choking the life out of things they are afraid of losing.

You mentioned nomads. Nomadism is liberating, but it is also loyalty pervasive. Ask touring musicians.

They are looked up to because they succeed in an environment most are too lazy or too afraid to try more than once. When 'Workin' For a Livin' hit the charts, Huey Lewis was asked how it felt to be an overnight success. To which he responded that The News was an overnight success 20 years in the making. That's what it takes. Most lack the stones to stay a course that long. They are the comedians who quit and go back to their day job after laying their first bomb.

Which brings me back to video games. They are just that ... games. There is no pressure to find "the one". "The one" doesn't exist because perfection doesn't exist. If it's fun, stay with it. And it's okay to be a gypsy because gypsies can be fiercely loyal too.

Edited by GalacticKegger

It does seem unfortunate that there has been no talk of what the future is going to bring. GSF appears to be the only thing that TOR has been working on and while I look forward to the new flashpoints so far there has been no hint that anything will be added to move the story on which is a shame.

As for ESO, from what I have played it is very much an enjoyable experience that will appeal to any fan of the Elder Scrolls games. It also has an impressive voice cast, interesting advancement method, excellent graphics and a rich world to explore. So it wouldn't hurt for ToR to have something on the horizon to get people to stick around or come back.

It does seem unfortunate that there has been no talk of what the future is going to bring. GSF appears to be the only thing that TOR has been working on and while I look forward to the new flashpoints so far there has been no hint that anything will be added to move the story on which is a shame.

An update from last night's Cantina tour event in Phoenix, AZ:

"At the Cantina they said that a new story arc would begin with the 2.7 update, and would reach an "EPIC" conclusion by the end of the year. An official blog post about the new arc may be out within the next week.

[-snip-]

~Comment posted by jagermensch on Dulfy.net.

I expect announcement of whatever "big" that is coming to me reveled here with a few weeks. Or at least in a few weeks we will get nibbles on something is coming. Official announcement on whatever it is i think will come sometime when ESO and Wildstar is released. Whatever it is will go live sometime around next WoW expansion. I don't think Bioware/EA is stupid enough to go all of 2014 with token flashpoints, cartel market stuff.

The cartel market is swtor....anything to pump new items to sell is whatever new content is going to be i figure. Would not be shocked at all to see some sort of "player housing" in future. You could pack the market with all kinds of junk for that. I like the pod racing idea ive seen others mention. Its essentially the same thing as GSF.... again more crap you could sell in the market.

There was article the other day that said sub's are down and the money swtor is pulling in is comming from the market. That what our new "big" content will be centered around now and going forward.

ESO is not going to make much of a dent in the MMO marketplace, much as its developers would like to. It'll be the same as many, large initial turnout because of the name and CGI movies with massive exodus once you get past that and realize this isn't Skyrim and other MMOs do the MMO better.

WildStar, much as I'm looking forward to it, is pretty much a sci-fi WOW so it's likely going to be a bit more of a competition with the MMO aspects of this game, but this game does Star Wars and story better than anything out there currently or on the horizon.

So IMO it really depends on what they do with the story stuff, which they've already said they won't do more class stories on (I know world stories are different but there is nobody out there that prefers Makeb to the leveling stories). Here's to seeing if they change their tune later on in the year.

Edited by hadoken

ESO is not going to make much of a dent in the MMO marketplace, much as its developers would like to. It'll be the same as many, large initial turnout because of the name and CGI movies with massive exodus once you get past that and realize this isn't Skyrim and other MMOs do the MMO better.

WildStar, much as I'm looking forward to it, is pretty much a sci-fi WOW so it's likely going to be a bit more of a competition with the MMO aspects of this game, but this game does Star Wars and story better than anything out there currently or on the horizon.

So IMO it really depends on what they do with the story stuff, which they've already said they won't do more class stories on (I know world stories are different but there is nobody out there that prefers Makeb to the leveling stories). Here's to seeing if they change their tune later on in the year.

This reminds of something someone here once posted, where someone asked Bioware people during an event - probably a Cantina event too - if class storylines were coming. Dude rises up and says...

Who in here liked Makeb?

* huge cheering *

( Dude answers )

See?

* People look at each other, puzzled *

You say tomato, they perceive tormato.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

This reminds of something someone here once posted, where someone asked Bioware people during an event - probably a Cantina event too - if class storylines were coming. Dude rises up and says...

You say tomato, they perceive tormato.

That's a lovely story, and really doesn't nullify my point by any stretch. I never claimed Makeb was bad.

That's a lovely story, and really doesn't nullify my point by any stretch. I never claimed Makeb was bad.

Hmmmm...

I was actually trying to further VALIDATE what you were saying and showing that Bioware deliberately misinterpret what people say or want but whatever floats your boat I guess. :rolleyes:

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I expect announcement of whatever "big" that is coming to me reveled here with a few weeks. Or at least in a few weeks we will get nibbles on something is coming. Official announcement on whatever it is i think will come sometime when ESO and Wildstar is released. Whatever it is will go live sometime around next WoW expansion. I don't think Bioware/EA is stupid enough to go all of 2014 with token flashpoints, cartel market stuff.

The cartel market is swtor....anything to pump new items to sell is whatever new content is going to be i figure. Would not be shocked at all to see some sort of "player housing" in future. You could pack the market with all kinds of junk for that. I like the pod racing idea ive seen others mention. Its essentially the same thing as GSF.... again more crap you could sell in the market.

There was article the other day that said sub's are down and the money swtor is pulling in is comming from the market. That what our new "big" content will be centered around now and going forward.

yeah and people think the cartel market takes away from real content. In reality, all those people do not realize separate teams work on real content and cartel market stuff, the cartel team has access to anything the real content teams have so for example, there is an event coming so they can make a cartel market event themed armor, while not interfering with real content.

As for pod racing, I don't see that happening, technically for lore reasons. HOWEVER, there is Swoop bike racing which is already established for this time period that could be very much enjoyed as a minigame. As for housing, didn't someone say they saw that datamined somewhere?

I need to jump in here.

I'm going to say right now out of everyone in the thread right now, I am the most informed person here when it comes to anything Elder Scrolls/Elder Scrolls Online related..

snip

I really do hate having to get people's attention like this, but ... you are not the most informed person here when it comes to anything Elder Scrolls Online related. If you were then you would also know that your post breeches your NDA with Bethesda and Zenimax. Duly reported by others who are just as connected. Edited by GalacticKegger

I need to jump in here.

I'm going to say right now out of everyone in the thread right now, I am the most informed person here when it comes to anything Elder Scrolls/Elder Scrolls Online related..

ESO will go F2P, won't tell you how I know, because I cannot tell you how I know. Simple as that, within the year, ESO will fall to F2P, Swtor has nothing to worry about, ESO will launch with a plethora of bugs, biggest being CTD's.

Every major MMO in existence nowadays, following its launch, eventually adheres to F2P. This is nothing new really... ESO won't be any different.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I really do hate having to get people's attention like this, but ... you are not the most informed person here when it comes to anything Elder Scrolls Online related. If you were then you would also know that your post breeches your NDA with Bethesda and Zenimax. Duly reported by others who are just as connected.

I'm well aware, thank you. Concerns were voiced in this thread, and I provided reasons to ease the concerns. I ripped that from that big beta test from a couple weeks ago.

Edited by AvnSevex

I really do hate having to get people's attention like this, but ... you are not the most informed person here when it comes to anything Elder Scrolls Online related. If you were then you would also know that your post breeches your NDA with Bethesda and Zenimax. Duly reported by others who are just as connected.

Also, you might want to get rid of those patch notes as I have done, lest you want to keep them up for everyone else to see. If so deadset on busting me on the NDA breech, screenshot it. AvnSevex is the same name used in the forums of ESO.

Edited by AvnSevex

As I am once again, well aware. Thank you for policing the game good sir, very respectable of you.
I am policing nothing. I am simply honoring the agreement, part of which is to report breeches. Do people not read what they sign up for any more? Edited by GalacticKegger

I am policing nothing. I am simply honoring the agreement, part of which is to report breeches. Do people not read what they sign up for any more?

A lot of people have been announcing they've been in beta, would you like to report AlaricSevGirl as well, since she clearly stated she beta tested too. Might as well jump on Facebook and YouTube too, go all out on everyone :)

Edited by AvnSevex

A lot of people have been announcing they've been in beta, would you like to report AlaricSevGirl as well, since she clearly stated she beta tested too. Might as well jump on Facebook and YouTube too, go all out on everyone :)
Guess some simply don't honor commitments after all. Welcome to the real world of consequence.

I personally don't believe that humans dislike change. I think most would welcome change, they just loathe entertaining thoughts of discomfort that are associated with it.

It's not that people, in general, do not like change. It's that most people do not like change that is not under their control and to their desires. Yet, these same people very often have no objection to change that negatively impacts others...as long as it positively impacts them. This behavior is actually very common, and even more so under the anonymity of the internet.

You mentioned nomads. Nomadism is liberating, but it is also loyalty pervasive. Ask touring musicians.

While some people do in fact feel and crave the liberating nature of being nomadic, most do not. If they did, then we would not have a world dominated by fixed infrastructures of cities and towns.

But your statement brings up a good point in that the reasons that man was nomadic in some cultures was because staying put would have meant death by starvation. By choice, some cultures made a choice to forage rather then plant and harvest. MMOs in the early days, were much more a "plant and harvest" sort of gaming adventure. You invested time and energy to harvest fun and enjoyment from progress in game. But the landscape and the nature of players has changed as we are more and more culturally attached to transient communications and enjoyment of life. Players have become much more nomadic because they have a taste for consuming and discarding everything in life, not just games.

Twitter being a model, IMO, of the virtual proliferation of transient nomadic attention spans. It is the ultimate disposable transaction style existence on the planet today.

I do not believe people (as a whole) are nomadic by nature. I do however believe they become nomadic, driven by some sense of desperation to survive.

Which brings me back to video games. They are just that ... games. There is no pressure to find "the one". "The one" doesn't exist because perfection doesn't exist. If it's fun, stay with it. And it's okay to be a gypsy because gypsies can be fiercely loyal too.

I agree. Though it should be noted that a large number of players do appear to be preoccupied with finding "the one". Many are even zealots about it.. rallying around what they perceive as "the one" to "slay all others".

In some ways, it is a very primal sort of behavior that we see surrounding MMOs these days. It will be interesting to see how it continues to evolve over time.

Edited by Andryah

Hmmmm...

I was actually trying to further VALIDATE what you were saying and showing that Bioware deliberately misinterpret what people say or want but whatever floats your boat I guess. :rolleyes:

ah gotcha, sorry can't ever remember who's on defense and offense in these parts.

But yea, deflecting like that is a classic PR move. "We don't want to talk about that, look, shinies!"