*Please* add chat logging; save roleplay communities from RSI outbreak.

Khalhazar

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm don't RP at all, but I think chat logging should still be supported. It can only help to enhance the game and shouldn't cause any problems unless there are server performance issues in doing so. Even then those performance issues could be off-loaded to the game client and put the burden of chat logging on the player's local computer. This would require a toggle though to disable the feature for people with lower specced computers that may fall below the minimum requirements for the game to run on their computer when the feature is turned on.

All that said, the main reason I came here is to ask a question though. What is RSI outbreak? I'm terrible with acronyms.

I'm don't RP at all, but I think chat logging should still be supported. It can only help to enhance the game and shouldn't cause any problems unless there are server performance issues in doing so. Even then those performance issues could be off-loaded to the game client and put the burden of chat logging on the player's local computer. This would require a toggle though to disable the feature for people with lower specced computers that may fall below the minimum requirements for the game to run on their computer when the feature is turned on.

All that said, the main reason I came here is to ask a question though. What is RSI outbreak? I'm terrible with acronyms.

No we just need /cjoin cross fraction <name of channel>

Based on the context, I believe the OP is referring to Repetitive Strain Injury. A general medical term that includes things like carpal tunnel syndrome. Per Wikipedia:
A repetitive strain injury (RSI) is an "injury to the musculoskeletal and nervous systems that may be caused by repetitive tasks, forceful exertions, vibrations, mechanical compression, or sustained or awkward positions."[1] RSIs are also known as cumulative trauma disorders, repetitive stress injuries, repetitive motion injuries or disorders, musculoskeletal disorders, and occupational or sports overuse syndromes.

As for performance issues, chat logging should be done client-side rather than server-side. I'm sure the server is already logging and parsing a fair amount of the chat for BioWare and EA for legal purposes, but for individual player logs, these would best be handled by the client to help ensure that the only things that are logged are what that specific player sees in their own chat.

Edited by G_Hosa_Phat
Adding clarification

No we just need /cjoin cross fraction <name of channel>
I'm curious how this relates to the topic being discussed in this thread? I wouldn't mind if they did add the ability to join cross-faction channels, as I would like to be able to chat with my Imperial friends while I'm playing my Republic toons. However, this is a conversation about logging chat messages (preferably including any custom chat channels the player has joined, e.g., any guild alliance channels, any potential cross-faction channels, etc.).

I'm curious how this relates to the topic being discussed in this thread? I wouldn't mind if they did add the ability to join cross-faction channels, as I would like to be able to chat with my Imperial friends while I'm playing my Republic toons. However, this is a conversation about logging chat messages (preferably including any custom chat channels the player has joined, e.g., any guild alliance channels, any potential cross-faction channels, etc.).

Not everyone wants WoW's battlenet crap in swtor but what this has to do with the thread? Not much which is why I quoted someone in which who I was typing too... Not the OP

• 2 months later...

I'm reviving this thread for 2015 because I'm finally encountering this issue that everyone else is.

Chatlogging! There are a variety of other MMO's that employ chatlogging as a basic function, (Let us look at Wildstar for an example.) As it helps for players to log any actions or writing that might violate EULA agreements or policy violation. It's not strictly to benefit roleplayers, as chatlogging itself is a benefit to the developers. It is also quite useful for fishing out abuse of players for there is solid, written evidence of another player taking action against another in a way that violates privacy or otherwise. There are so many benefits to having a chatlogging system, as to not having one.

However, this brings to light the use of it for us in roleplay communities such as Begeren Colony (US). While this doesn't affect the game itself, it is a MASSIVE benefit to us who use this game as a tool to write, to explore character development. We presently have to take screenshots of our RP with the limited size of the text boxes, then manually transcribe. Which isn't difficult if it were only three screenshots long, say - but more often than not, RP can be as long as 10 screenshots of solid writing mass. To have chatlogging reduces the effort required to transcribe writing resource.

My knowledge on programming is limited, but I know that others have tried to outsource other methods to chatlog. There are people who have tried to get OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to work, though with varying degrees of success. This however is a third party solution and can often be misinterpreted as a violation of EULA terms; using third party software to interact with the game itself.

I know our voices are quiet and developers may not read this actively, but I cry out on behalf of Begeren Colony, Ebon Hawk and Jung Ma. Please, Bioware. Do not let this opportunity to improve the game go unnoticed.

Wow, I am both super happy and super sad that this thread is still alive. I tried OCR but didn't have the time to do anything fancy with training, so unfortunately we're left waiting for the feature to be added.

Yeah, when I said RSI I meant repetitive-stress. There's a _lot_ of transcription to do if one wants to share event text, etc.

I'm reviving this thread for 2015 because I'm finally encountering this issue that everyone else is.

Chatlogging! There are a variety of other MMO's that employ chatlogging as a basic function, (Let us look at Wildstar for an example.) As it helps for players to log any actions or writing that might violate EULA agreements or policy violation. It's not strictly to benefit roleplayers, as chatlogging itself is a benefit to the developers. It is also quite useful for fishing out abuse of players for there is solid, written evidence of another player taking action against another in a way that violates privacy or otherwise. There are so many benefits to having a chatlogging system, as to not having one.

However, this brings to light the use of it for us in roleplay communities such as Begeren Colony (US). While this doesn't affect the game itself, it is a MASSIVE benefit to us who use this game as a tool to write, to explore character development. We presently have to take screenshots of our RP with the limited size of the text boxes, then manually transcribe. Which isn't difficult if it were only three screenshots long, say - but more often than not, RP can be as long as 10 screenshots of solid writing mass. To have chatlogging reduces the effort required to transcribe writing resource.

My knowledge on programming is limited, but I know that others have tried to outsource other methods to chatlog. There are people who have tried to get OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to work, though with varying degrees of success. This however is a third party solution and can often be misinterpreted as a violation of EULA terms; using third party software to interact with the game itself.

I know our voices are quiet and developers may not read this actively, but I cry out on behalf of Begeren Colony, Ebon Hawk and Jung Ma. Please, Bioware. Do not let this opportunity to improve the game go unnoticed.

OCR is overly complicated and generally "sketchy" at best, unless you want to pay lots of money for a decently accurate system. That leaves the option for manually transcribing a series of screenshots, which is tedious beyond measure. The cost in time spent on this method is virtually impossible to accurately quantify (maybe easier for some individuals, but an overall average for all of the RP'ers and others that might be doing this for their own reasons).

So, please save your players time, money, frustration and potential medical conditions. Please implement chat logging functionality.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...