Over-Priced GTN Items

RPetrelli

Why are people saying supply and demand? It has no relevance to the OP's topic. Any economist would tell you that. If anything, its profiteering.

It has everything to do with the OP's topic. People are free to price items at whatever they want. If the demand doesn't meet the price then it doesn't sell. If there is enough supply someone will undercut him to make a sale.

I'm not sure that you understand what profiteering means. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiteering_(business)

Edited by MillionsKNives

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand the Bio-Troll Brigade coming out every time they see a post.

<snip>

Please stop the childish Trolling. You guys are the worst kind of trolls, clothed in self-importance, and condescension. Company men without a company. Please move along. We would like to have a rational conversation, without the rationalizing. You make this community worse with your presence. You sadden us with you lonely lives. My Life Day wish for you, get a Life. Have a good Day.

Just like to point out here, that disagreeing with someone, regardless if it's simply for the sake of disagreeing with someone is NOT trolling. Trolling would be saying something like "Famous person Y died" and right after, commenting about how they're a terrible person, then someone (bob in this case) comments that you're a horrible person for saying that, you later go back, remove your comment about that person who died was terrible, and now bob looks like a jerk. THAT is trolling. It's convincing others of a sleight or misdeed by someone else, in the hopes of causing chaos and disharmony. It is not simply disagreeing with someone.

Anyways, on topic, items like Revan's set (while silly to wear, as someone pointed out we're effectively cosplaying in an MMO then) are only as valuable as a player sees them as. Perfect example, back when there were only 2 packs from the CM, the Lhosan Manta sold for roughly 1.1 million credits on my server. Now it sells for a measly 200k that's a devaluation of about 80%. Why? Because it's no longer popular and rare. The Revan set will stay the way it is though (hovering around double digit millions for parts) because the majority of the players here are KoTOR fans and are perfectly willing to go that extra mile to pay for their costume. And, for those who will say they won't pay it.. that's perfectly fine, one doesn't have to pay that price if they don't want to. It's a mix of profiteering and supply vs demand really. Some items have lower drop rates from the booster packs, others don't. Players notice this, and set the price for those rare items at what they think they can get away with.

Just like to point out here, that disagreeing with someone, regardless if it's simply for the sake of disagreeing with someone is NOT trolling. Trolling would be saying something like "Famous person Y died" and right after, commenting about how they're a terrible person, then someone (bob in this case) comments that you're a horrible person for saying that, you later go back, remove your comment about that person who died was terrible, and now bob looks like a jerk. THAT is trolling. It's convincing others of a sleight or misdeed by someone else, in the hopes of causing chaos and disharmony. It is not simply disagreeing with someone.

Anyways, on topic, items like Revan's set (while silly to wear, as someone pointed out we're effectively cosplaying in an MMO then) are only as valuable as a player sees them as. Perfect example, back when there were only 2 packs from the CM, the Lhosan Manta sold for roughly 1.1 million credits on my server. Now it sells for a measly 200k that's a devaluation of about 80%. Why? Because it's no longer popular and rare. The Revan set will stay the way it is though (hovering around double digit millions for parts) because the majority of the players here are KoTOR fans and are perfectly willing to go that extra mile to pay for their costume. And, for those who will say they won't pay it.. that's perfectly fine, one doesn't have to pay that price if they don't want to. It's a mix of profiteering and supply vs demand really. Some items have lower drop rates from the booster packs, others don't. Players notice this, and set the price for those rare items at what they think they can get away with.

Actually, trolling has taken on a broader meaning. Our language is always evolving.

trolling

verb

gerund or present participle: trolling

informal

submit a deliberately provocative posting to an online message board with the aim of inciting an angry response.

"if people are obviously trolling then I'll delete your posts and do my best to ban you"

I appreciate your efforts though.

Actually, trolling has taken on a broader meaning. Our language is always evolving.

trolling

verb

gerund or present participle: trolling

informal

submit a deliberately provocative posting to an online message board with the aim of inciting an angry response.

"if people are obviously trolling then I'll delete your posts and do my best to ban you"

I appreciate your efforts though.

Ah, so your post was also trolling then.

Great work!

Ah, so your post was also trolling then.

Great work!

Oddball, you are exactly the type of troll my original comment was referencing. Judging by your history of post, you're a Troll of the highest order. A Bio-Troll. Take your silly waste of time somewhere else. You're not needed here.

My favorites for posts here are the people who start their post with something to the effect of: "Ok so this is how everything in this game really works. Now listen up and I'll explain it all the right way..." when really, I got what I wanted in the first place anyway. The way I did that was with hard work, no other stupid antics or anything like that. The people who "think" they are explaining the true version of how it goes in this game only think they've got it down. I in fact am the one who set a goal and achieved it so really I think I've got how it goes. As for the people who keep hating on Revan Gear: A) you are ok to hate on the gear after you have shown that you can get the complete set. Until then, you are only hating because you don't have the complete set yourself or are too lazy to work hard for it, and B) you sit there and try to explain how the market goes but in truth nobody really gives a damn about how the game's economy works. People what what is considered cool and it doesn't really matter how much it costs or how the economy works, they just want it. I will continue to ignore the haters and thank for the well thought out well reasoned and opinionated non-stupid responses. Edited by RPetrelli

PS... I discredit and disconcern myself with anyone who uses the terms "trolling" or "noobs" or any form of therein for any post that I am apart of. Yeah there are jokers out there, but most people are honestly just new to the game and don't know what is going on fully yet. If you take someone who is innocent in the ways of SWTOR and immediately label them however as some kind of D-Bag just because they don't have all the ropes down yet then that makes you the worst kind of person. Thanks.

'Cause they want "item X" but can't afford/don't to pay the price.

The "problem" does not even exist, so no "solving" required. If you want it, buy it if you can afford it. If you can't, get the creds. If you don't want to bother to get the creds, you obviously don't want the item that badly.

wow idk how ur not banned yet from these forums, quit trolling bc nobody else lives in this black and white world like u do, get over urself

Sorry, but I don't think Bioware can help you. The GTN is a player driven market where the seller decides the price. You can't expect Bioware to message these people and say "Hey, man, these people want you to lower your prices. You should do that." It's the sellers choice of price. As a buyer, you must either pay the amount or get in touch with the seller and haggle. Sorry, dude.

i refuse to be a blind defender, this is an issue but luckily ppl make websites to sell creds/CC not everyone is rich irl either but still ppl can buy credits or farm Makeb chests (try to at least)

Please. :rolleyes: Websites that sell credits are scams pure and simple, anyone who uses them is not that smart.

Edited by horrorfaneightys

The item belongs to the seller. The seller gets to put up the items that belong to them at whatever price they wish. This does not mean that the item will sell, however. A prospective buyer then has to decide for themselves if their desire for an item is worth the price that is being asked for said item.

Nothing else matters. What you consider over-priced is just your opinion. Wild conjecture about people running to gold sellers to buy items is just wild conjecture. If you don't like the items price, don't buy the item.

Sometimes I make up silly prices and surprisingly people buy the item. Like the one time I sold a crappy mission discovery item for a million creds before. :p

I did this once as well.

It was after a family dinner and I had more than a couple glasses of wine, and logged in afterwards to briefly throw some stuff I had in my inventory/cargo hold up on the cartel market. I meant to sell an item for 100,000 creds but accidentally entered 1,000,000. Being somewhat drunk I didn't catch the mistake until I logged in the next day and noticed that someone had actually purchased it for a million.

On the other hand I've had items up that have even been underpriced fail to sell.

Sometimes the GTN is random.