Over-Priced GTN Items

RPetrelli

To get some of the items that people sell on the GTN I would have to spend 6 months doing nothing but PvP as a no life gamer just to come close to the asking price. You credit rich people can rant at me all you want until Elvis comes back and not change my mind. Feel free to try. I hate it when people sell a pair of shoes for 1,000,000,000 credits. You would have to be the world's biggest "chump" to buy that.:p

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone was on imp fleet on the bastion last night ranting and raving about the price of revans belt and helm. and about how the prices on the gtn are crap. and how people who sell and play the gtn to make money are evil greedy lil **** and a slew of other vulgarity. so not only did i do this, but i announced it in chat. i placed a single basic might stim on the GTN for 1 billion just because i could.

my stuff. i will sell it for however much i like. now, that being said, i dont have any super dooper rare items that are pocket book breaking, and i usually sell stuff at what the market value is and i buy up underpriced items that are popular, and i sell them for what the market is dictating is a normal price. find away to earn credits. solo run red reaper 10 times and thats near a mil in credits.

if your toon is poor. as a seller, thats not my problem.

Did you know that diamonds are actually so common that they are pretty much useless in the second hand market?*

The only reason they are worth so much in the first hand market is because we, the consumers, believe that they are rare and worth alot of money. Thus they cost alot of money.

That is how a free economy works. If something is considered worth millions, then it will cost millions, no matter if it really is worth that much or not.

*I buy gold and silver professionally so i know what I'm talking about.

revans gloves and bet are rare, so they will cost alot of credits.

Are they worth 80 miillion?

Maby not, but if people are willing to pay that much, then they will be sold for that much.

Metagaming is the part of every mmo now. Learn to play. Market is the most advanced and dangerous pvp in every mmo. There are people who do strictly market pvp to be rich, do you realize that. There are people who control certain areas of the market and there is nothing you can do about it. If you cant handle this i would suggest you hello kitty online. But even there some young people would control market at some point.

There is nothing more powerfull in making credits than market pvp.

snip..

That is how a free economy works. If something is considered worth millions, then it will cost millions, no matter if it really is worth that much or not.

snip.

Free economy...bah, you pay your $15 so its obviously NOT FREE..

yeah its friday :)

Wrong, the economy is free, in both senses, what you pay for is priveleged access (yes, it is priveleged, just because thousands have the same access doesn't detract from it's status).

psst....turn on the sarcasm radar :cool:

was making a joke on the "free' cartel coins, as well as getting lambasted for "free" market.

guess I need to wait a few hours for people to make sure they have enough morning beverages...

comment from a porevious post:

"On topic though. I've resubbed for a few short months now, and without trying to make credits I have about 10 mil. If there was an item I wanted and it was 50 mil I could play with credits in mind and gain that amount in short order. "

This is like spitting in all of our faces as it is a clearly obvious and total lie.

LMAO

You should quote people if you are going to call them liars and claim they've spit in your face.

I'm not even sure what to say in reply... umm, it's not a lie at all. I even rerolled Imp when I came back and made those credits. You are the one spitting all over the place like some deranged elderly person with Alzheimers. See, I can be a turd for no reason as well.

Edit: Also, I mentioned only the credits I have. Not even the cargo holds overflowing with mats for crew skills I can sell and make millions more from...

2nd edit: L2P /thread

Edited by VulgarMercurius

Mmm...

The issue with pricing on "free" markets is not limtied to SWTOR, all other games has this situation. The main problem with over-pricing is that people can bring external sources to the game itself to acquire goods. For instance you can buy hyper-crates and sell items for credits, which has a credit inflationary result. Because some people, who are spending real money, to get game money, can now use their affluence to buy things no matter how stupidly priced they may be. So seeing things priced for 99.999 million credits and the like is not unusual in a game were there are no "true" market "capitalistic" restrictions. As engineers often say "We have an Open System" as opposed as a "Closed System"

How do you close an open system, and does Bioware really want to close it? An easy way to put an end to over pricing is for Bioware to take away the 'gambling" aspect in buying stuff at the store, and thus folks would pay a flat price for an item and get it, thus greatly removing the number of people who would actually buy the item at GC and thus the price comes down to a reasonable level. Also if the store would offer everything in the game, locked or not, and folks could buy them too, then Bioware would artificially throw a a price cap on the item and thus the end of GC over pricing, but frankly GC over pricing is the result of shrewed marketing by Bioware's store, and thus simply is bad business to correct the over pricing at GC.

Sue

This post is to address the ongoing problem in the Car market of people overpricing cars on the lot. The specific items for today's discussion are 911 Porsche (currently priced on the lot at 15 million dollars the last time I checked) and Lambergini (40 million on the lot the last time I checked). Now, doing the math here, it costs no less than .......

Just like real life, fake life has the movers and shakers. Somebody has the flip them burgers

I have now achieved Revan's complete set. Not only was I able to do that but I was able to achieve it account wide as I unlocked it once completing the set from collections. So for all of those people who stated that I didn't want this item badly enough, well, you're wrong. I defied the odds and got what I was after because I worked hard and acquired it. Thanks for the faith in me for those who were not in such negative disbelief about my being able to get these items. I now have an armor set in game that I have never seen anyone wearing and I have been playing this game for nearly a year now.

Anyone can get whatever they want in this game no matter what the cost.

[...] The main problem with over-pricing is that people can bring external sources to the game itself to acquire goods. For instance you can buy hyper-crates and sell items for credits, which has a credit inflationary result. Because some people, who are spending real money, to get game money, can now use their affluence to buy things no matter how stupidly priced they may be. So seeing things priced for 99.999 million credits and the like is not unusual in a game were there are no "true" market "capitalistic" restrictions. [...]

I don't think we get credit-inflation through selling cartel packs. If we could buy credits directly in the CM then that would cause inflation but people buy cartel packs with CC and sell them for credits that are already in the game. They don't increase the total amount of existing credits but only move them from one party to another. In essence, the CM does not affect inflation any more than e.g. gathering resources in the wild or raiding for rare crafting materials or collecting comms to buy Isotope-5.

Credits are "created" out of the blue all the time ingame, be it from loot or as mission rewards from dailies, GS or warzones. These cause inflation, but the CM does not. (A very minor exception are the Credit Boom items from the cartel packs but I think their impact is really small.)

One could even say the CM with all the nice looking gear reduces inflation due to people being able to dress their toons in different ways and paying around 10K per mod that is transferred from one armor piece to another. That is quite the money sink. Taking out the mods from a whole armor set and transferring them could easily cost 200K or more credits. Add to that mainhand and offhand and we have a quarter million credits. (Cost for adding Augmentation slots not yet included.)

Edited by Shoraan

Mmm...

The issue with pricing on "free" markets is not limtied to SWTOR, all other games has this situation. The main problem with over-pricing is that people can bring external sources to the game itself to acquire goods. For instance you can buy hyper-crates and sell items for credits, which has a credit inflationary result. Because some people, who are spending real money, to get game money, can now use their affluence to buy things no matter how stupidly priced they may be. So seeing things priced for 99.999 million credits and the like is not unusual in a game were there are no "true" market "capitalistic" restrictions. As engineers often say "We have an Open System" as opposed as a "Closed System"

How do you close an open system, and does Bioware really want to close it? An easy way to put an end to over pricing is for Bioware to take away the 'gambling" aspect in buying stuff at the store, and thus folks would pay a flat price for an item and get it, thus greatly removing the number of people who would actually buy the item at GC and thus the price comes down to a reasonable level. Also if the store would offer everything in the game, locked or not, and folks could buy them too, then Bioware would artificially throw a a price cap on the item and thus the end of GC over pricing, but frankly GC over pricing is the result of shrewed marketing by Bioware's store, and thus simply is bad business to correct the over pricing at GC.

Sue

There were items up for 99.999 million credits back before the CM too.

The problem with the markets in MMO's is not that people can buy credits for real money (using the cartel market), the problem is that there are people out there that seemingly have nothing else to do than play this game and they amass vast riches by grinding dailies and doing other end-game stuff ad nauseum.

The only difference with a cartel market is that people who don't have time to do that can now afford the stuff they couldn't before by using real money.

Overall, the prices for "exclusive and rare" stuff have not changed much since the launch of the game.

Most of the people who complain about the prices are the ones that on the one hand either can't or won't spend real money to get credits and on the other hand, don't want to work for their riches because "others can just buy them for real money".

I have now achieved Revan's complete set. Not only was I able to do that but I was able to achieve it account wide as I unlocked it once completing the set from collections. So for all of those people who stated that I didn't want this item badly enough, well, you're wrong. I defied the odds and got what I was after because I worked hard and acquired it. Thanks for the faith in me for those who were not in such negative disbelief about my being able to get these items. I now have an armor set in game that I have never seen anyone wearing and I have been playing this game for nearly a year now.

Anyone can get whatever they want in this game no matter what the cost.

So basically you started a thread saying "bla bla bla bla bla bla the revan stuff is too expensive".

Then you wrote 7 pages later that now you have the stuff and all you have to do is work hard to get it...

You're contradicting yourself here man.

(also, I saw someone in full revan gear last week on my server. And that was not the first one. I notice them because I think it's kinda silly to dress up as revan in the game, since you are essentially cosplaying inside an MMO)

I have now achieved Revan's complete set. Not only was I able to do that but I was able to achieve it account wide as I unlocked it once completing the set from collections. So for all of those people who stated that I didn't want this item badly enough, well, you're wrong. I defied the odds and got what I was after because I worked hard and acquired it.

You make it sound like you climbed Everest with one hand tied behind your back. it's just a computer game, dude.

Thanks for the faith in me for those who were not in such negative disbelief about my being able to get these items. I now have an armor set in game that I have never seen anyone wearing and I have been playing this game for nearly a year now.

You must play the game with your eyes closed. Or you're just joking or trolling.

Not read through all this, got halfway through second page and saw it would be the same over and over. So i'm going to explain how a player based economy works.

The seller lists for what they want for it.

The buyer pays what they are willing to spend.

If want for it and willing to pay overlap then there is a sale.

If not then the items do not sell and the buyer has the choice of keeping trying and hoping it will sell at that price. Or lowering the price to increase their chances.

I have seen cosmetic pieces i like but i find the price too high. So i just do not buy them, and keep an eye on listings to see if any cheaper ones come up. If someone can sell it at more than i am willing to pay to someone else, then good on them for scoring some nice credits. If an item comes up at what i am willing to pay, then good on me for holding out and getting it cheaper.

Supply and demand, is the way of the world.