Is PVP going from bad to worse?

Ellvalin

PVP is probably one of my favorite things about MMO's. I've always had a few issues with the PVP system in SWTOR in comparison to other PVP games I've played, but nothing so serious as to completely ruin if for me. However, I finally reached my peak of frustration today, and I feel like I'm getting close to quitting SWTOR. I don't want to, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and for that reason alone I love this game, but lately I haven't been having fun with it anymore.

I have a sniper and a healer (imps). PVP'ing with my sniper is fun, but I enjoy it more with my healer. My healer seems to do very good in PVP. I'm almost always at the top for my team, which is obviously gratifying, and I get a lot of compliments. I started playing PVP with my healer at an early level, and it's been a blast. All of a sudden, however, the fun is gone.

For the last week & a half or so, I've been constantly getting teamed up with people who don't seem to know what's going on. This isn't the beginning of a rant, I'm just curious as to the possible reasons for this. Could it be that it's coincidence? Perhaps a new wave of players have joined recently? Or, is it the way the teams are being chosen? I can't help but to dwell on that latter question. How are these teams chosen for matches?

If PVP teams were chosen randomly, then it would be logical that you would get just as many wins as losses (or at least a somewhat close proximity), but for almost two days straight now, I haven't won one single match, and I'm not exaggerating. I'm still most often at the top of the team when you look at the ending results. I'm healing my little heart away, and getting good scores in the end. I'm also getting a LOT of MVP points. I understand the objectives and end up getting pretty good points for that as well. I know I'm doing good in these arenas, so why haven't I won even one match the last couple days? How is it that I'm getting teamed up with so many people who are obviously new to PVP while the other team has so many players that are obviously PVP veterans? If the teams are chosen randomly, am I really just that unlucky?

It seems with SWTOR PVP, there are good days, and bad days, but even during bad days you still get a win here and there. I've never had a two day losing streak before, and it's just about broken my spirit. As I said, I'm just about done with the game. Can anyone please explain the mechanics behind PVP for me? Most specifically, how these teams are chosen.

I thought I'd mention another thing I've noticed happening a lot recently. Quite a few people have been starting to go into matches now, find a quiet corner, and hide the whole time. This seems to be a new fad, and it's becoming more and more common. This is ruining the game for everyone else who actually enjoys PVP. It would be nice if they could incorporate a function to where you're kicked from the team after a certain amount of inactivity. It's happening more and more. Something else that has started to happen lately is people are giving up half way through a match and just congregating at a turret or pylon. Again, it totally takes the fun away from everyone else. These issues are happening often enough that it's getting to a point that something should be done about it.

It's probably the recent double xp weekend with a lot of people getting new 55 classes that they haven't fully learned yet.

Also people returning to the game and doesnt have decent gear yet. I'm one of them and my new Guild keep recruits people like me. Though my winning rate is over %50. Sometimes i lose 4-5 games in row then again i can win 4-5 games in row. And i'm at Republic side.

I played a lot of MMORPG games and this is the only game i saw so balanced winning/losing rate. At all other games Bad/Ugly Side always beats Good/Handsome side like %80-90 to %10-20. Sad but true for other games.

Also people returning to the game and doesnt have decent gear yet. I'm one of them and my new Guild keep recruits people like me. Though my winning rate is over %50. Sometimes i lose 4-5 games in row then again i can win 4-5 games in row. And i'm at Republic side.

I played a lot of MMORPG games and this is the only game i saw so balanced winning/losing rate. At all other games Bad/Ugly Side always beats Good/Handsome side like %80-90 to %10-20. Sad but true for other games.

But that's actually what I've found in SWTOR, you either REALLY win, or REALLY lose. It's not too often both teams are somewhat evenly matched. My experience is the opposite of yours, but you say you play on the Republic side, I've always been on the Imp side, and from what I've heard, Imps don't take directions well. That's what I've experienced myself as well. Whenever you try taking control or guiding a group in PVP, people get offended and end up doing the opposite of what you say. And of course, we lose.

It's probably the recent double xp weekend with a lot of people getting new 55 classes that they haven't fully learned yet.

I totally agree with this, it makes sense. It still doesn't explain why all of a sudden people are hiding in corners or giving up. This is a PVP server, why even join if you're just going to hide or give up? But I suppose that's not really a question anyone can answer. I don't want to turn this thread into a "***** session", but I do think they need to fix this problem. One thing that could work is not giving coms, experience, or credits if you've done no damage, healing, or objectives in a match. That would stop people from hiding anyway. No point in going in and hiding if you don't get anything out of it.

The only thing I can think of with the hiding is that they gave up if the game is a certain loss. They're doing the honorable thing and not leaving the wz so some other schmuck gets a loss also.

But if they're hiding at the beginning then I don't know what their problem is. Maybe Bioware can have a timer for people not doing anything and not guarding also.

Edited by Candleper

I do nothing but pvp, and yeah, there are a TON of new faces in 55. Some of them form 4 man premades and go camp one node the entire game. It's always funny when the guy ************ at everyone has, predictably, the lowest score at the end.

I've gone from full time pvp to just barely dragging myself through my dailies. This is not in any way shape or form enjoyable. I have never seen this much bad in any pvp mmo, and I've been playing since MUD.

^ This, and people returning to check out GS which is also draining ground pop. somewhat.

During dailies atm many matches don't include the "regular" players or guilds I normally see, and closely resemble bottom bracket with people playing like it's their first time. I reckon it'll settle down eventually.

Edited by Joesixxpack

It is going from "bad to worse", but not for the reasons you're listing.

The problem is the PvP development team that have absolutely no idea what they are doing. Take a look at the recent "buff" to Madness Sins. The class needed a buff, but they've gone about it completely the wrong way. Instead of buffing the class, they've actually just nerfed Sorc healers which were already close to useless in this Arena-dominated era. The only thing Sorc healers had going for them was the ability to clear Madness DoTs, but now even that is gone. So there is literally no reason to play the class any more. They are absolute sitting ducks in Arenas, and useless in Warzones because they can't even clear Madness DoTs. The player base could spot the flaw with this change in five minutes; how is it that a professional team of developers cannot?

So it's not just me? :\ It also feels like the queues are getting slower, less people queuing, more 7v8, no more queues past 1 am unless you wait 10 minutes....

try queuing on the pub side, if you get only 3 people with 1500 (or less) expertise and crap overall stats, that is one of the better teams.

Also people returning to the game and doesnt have decent gear yet.

^^^^ This. I have been seeing buttloads of people on EH with Battlemaster gear running around the past few days and generally being completely ineffective.

The worst part is that as returning players with battlemaster gear, some think they are uber. LOL -- no clue on bolster, using gear that is actually hurting them. Primary stat just over 2K. Then they refuse to follow the leaders or do things like guard nodes or call inc because they are uber PvPers. I would rather have the new 55s.

It has been a newb horror show the past few days. I was in an Alderaan match last night, and getting focused immediately every time I showed my face because there was no one else on my team with even 40% of my damage. There were non-healers on our team with < 100K damage at the end of the match. :( I didn't think it was possible to be that bad. It has been painful just getting my daily done.

The ground PVP system is just horrible. Majority of the people who enjoy competitive PVP either quit or are doing other content. There are far too many issues in which Bioware has ignored completely for years, for it to be remotely entertaining.

The only thing I can think of with the hiding is that they gave up if the game is a certain loss. They're doing the honorable thing and not leaving the wz so some other schmuck gets a loss also.

But if they're hiding at the beginning then I don't know what their problem is. Maybe Bioware can have a timer for people not doing anything and not guarding also.

No, I mean they're hiding from the beginning. It's happened numerous times already, and it's getting worse. In Huttball I've seen stealths do it a lot. They go stealth and hide in a corner near the front entrance. In Voidstar people are able to hide in doorways or crevices on the opposite side of the first area where no one goes. These people are doing NOTHING from the beginning of the match. In Novare Coast I've seen them hide down the banks behind the east and west turrets. Most importantly though, their ending score is a dead give-away: 0 Damage, 0 Healing, 0 Objectives, 0 EVERYTHING.

The problem is, SWTOR is giving coms, exp, and credits for PVP no matter what. That, to me, seems like a major game flaw. Of course you are going to get the lazy ones who think they've found a neat catch in the game, "I can rack up my coms and exp, and all I have to do is stand here! This is awesome!" That's why it's becoming a new fad lately, a lot more people have finally caught on to this flaw and it's too irresistible for them to ignore. Everyone wants something for nothing.

So you haven't won in two days and are ranting and threatening to rage quit.

Don't be a troll please. If this were a rant, I'd be throwing out insults or veering off the topic to complain about the specific things that annoy me, of which there are many. I'm not. I've specifically tried to stick to the matters that are genuinely concerning me; how are teams chosen? How can SWTOR bring and end to people hiding from the beginning of the match, or giving up half way through when there's still a chance to make a comeback? These are valid inquiries.

Also, I'm not "threatening to rage quit". I'm not "threatening" anything. I have expressed that my frustration level with the PVP system in SWTOR is getting great enough that I'm considering quitting the entire game of SWTOR. It has nothing to do with anger, the fact is, there are a lot of sci-fi mmorpg's out there with good ratings. Why wouldn't I try another if I'm no longer having fun with the one I'm currently playing? It isn't a threat to anyone that's listening that they should fix it or else I'm going to leave, what good would that do? It's an expression of my frustration level, and the reason I've finally resorted to starting a thread on the topic. I want to continue playing this game, I'm a huge Star Wars fan. Therefore I need to understand how the system works so I can get a better understanding, and hopefully, a little more tolerance.

^ This, and people returning to check out GS which is also draining ground pop. somewhat.

During dailies atm many matches don't include the "regular" players or guilds I normally see, and closely resemble bottom bracket with people playing like it's their first time. I reckon it'll settle down eventually.

I hope so. :) I do really like this game. That's why I started this thread, to get a better understanding of what's going on and find some tolerance. There's a lot about this game that I love. It just so happens that PVP is my thing, so if it goes downhill, it dampens my view of the game itself. I'm going to stay patient though and wait for the bad wave to pass. I still think they should do something about the people who hide and ride it out for free coms and stuff. ;)

It is going from "bad to worse", but not for the reasons you're listing.

The problem is the PvP development team that have absolutely no idea what they are doing. Take a look at the recent "buff" to Madness Sins. The class needed a buff, but they've gone about it completely the wrong way. Instead of buffing the class, they've actually just nerfed Sorc healers which were already close to useless in this Arena-dominated era. The only thing Sorc healers had going for them was the ability to clear Madness DoTs, but now even that is gone. So there is literally no reason to play the class any more. They are absolute sitting ducks in Arenas, and useless in Warzones because they can't even clear Madness DoTs. The player base could spot the flaw with this change in five minutes; how is it that a professional team of developers cannot?

Oh I totally agree with you. There are many reasons PVP sucks in this game, and though I've never had a Sorc, I take your word for it. PVP can be hard on almost everyone in different ways depending on their class. The teams I've been getting stuck with lately just happened to be the-straw-that-broke-the-camels-back to me, so to speak, and it's something a guild member and I have been trying to figure out for a while.

No, I mean they're hiding from the beginning. It's happened numerous times already, and it's getting worse. In Huttball I've seen stealths do it a lot. They go stealth and hide in a corner near the front entrance. In Voidstar people are able to hide in doorways or crevices on the opposite side of the first area where no one goes. These people are doing NOTHING from the beginning of the match. In Novare Coast I've seen them hide down the banks behind the east and west turrets. Most importantly though, their ending score is a dead give-away: 0 Damage, 0 Healing, 0 Objectives, 0 EVERYTHING.

The problem is, SWTOR is giving coms, exp, and credits for PVP no matter what. That, to me, seems like a major game flaw. Of course you are going to get the lazy ones who think they've found a neat catch in the game, "I can rack up my coms and exp, and all I have to do is stand here! This is awesome!" That's why it's becoming a new fad lately, a lot more people have finally caught on to this flaw and it's too irresistible for them to ignore. Everyone wants something for nothing.

Sometimes when I'm on my op in novare I roll past the mine field and explore denova. It is really amazing how big it is. Lots of tanks, a whole desert, an old abandoned building, destroyed ships and a lot of missing grounds. So much fun.

... I guess I should be helping them with the wz, but that gets old fast.

So it's not just me? :\ It also feels like the queues are getting slower, less people queuing, more 7v8, no more queues past 1 am unless you wait 10 minutes....

Not just you. I can barely bring myself to log in more than twice a week. Real life has kept me busy, but at the same time, if guildies aren't on or off doing their own thing, it's solo queue and it's pretty rough. Pops are taking longer and backfill feels like it's broken...again. Add to that the frustration of trying to explain why you don't need two defenders if you only have one node, or asking why everyone tried to cap mid on Alderaan when you already have both side nodes. It adds up. Unfortunately I'm a big SW fan and there's not much else out there at the moment. Battlefield 4 has been helping the PvP itch, but there's nothing like lightsabers and auto cannons :(.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.