Why force players to subscribe when they still have gametime?

Pyraaa

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

World Of Warcraft, Age of Connan, DC Universe online (when it was P2P), Champions Online,

Rift, Aion, i could carry on but i think i made my point!

That's not correct.

You need to set up an account, which includes name, address, and payment information even to access the trial periods.

This has really been standard MMOG practice since it's inception, so not certain why it's BioWare/EA being evil in this instance, and the selective indignation.

Edited by Scar

This has really been standard MMOG practice since it's inception, so not certain why it's BioWare/EA being evil in this instance, and the selective indignation.

Yeah, it's standard for pretty much any service that requires a monthly fee. Whether it be MMOs, Utilities, magazine subscriptions, book clubs, or cable television. They all get your payment info up front even if they offer the first month free.

Neither does this game. If you give them your CC or paypal info they do not charge you until after your included 30 days of game time runs out.

Not true. Sure, they may not charge me til 30 days are out, but they wouldn't let me play until I picked a payment plan. They had my credit info already. I was still not allowed to play my 30 day free time until I set up a payment plan for after the 30 days.

Not true. Sure, they may not charge me til 30 days are out, but they wouldn't let me play until I picked a payment plan. They had my credit info already. I was still not allowed to play my 30 day free time until I set up a payment plan for after the 30 days.

That's because they actually have multiple payment plans. The majority of MMOs that I've played only have one option when paying with a CC. The one's that have had more than one option have had me select one when setting up my account.

It doesn't matter. They still do not charge you until after the first month. So what exactly is the issue here?

For me, its only that I wasn't allowed to play my free time at all until I answered their question. I have 30 days to set up a payment plan, but I can't play from day 2 unless I pick one. They already had my credit info, what else did they need?

Really, its not too big a deal for me. I like the game, I'll play the game. To me it feels rude that they block my free time for some answer they don't really need until 30 days out. They shouldn't have to worry, I'm not the kind of person to reach max level in 30 days, much less even half a year for many MMORPGs.

Edited by DoubleSwords

Why Force us to subscribe in order to redeem the FREE 30 days game time we got for purchasing the game? (ripoff?)

I've had nothing but good things to say about this game since it had early game access for purchasing the digital deluxe edition.

I've even been trying to recruit my guild from other MMOS to come play SWTOR

But to find out that they REQUIRE you to subscribe even to continue using the gametime you are already entitled to seems like a ripoff to me.

Some people would like to get their entitled free 30 days access without being hastled into subscribing on the third day of use.

Anyone else feel like BIOWARE/LUCAS ARTS/EA act like an AUTO DEALERSHIP that takes your drivers license when you test drive a car?

Just wondering.

Because this is how every MMO operates and they do not charge you until the end of the free days. You can literally confirm your payment information and cancel and play for the 30 days.

Welcome to P2P MMORPG's.

It's obvious that the OP is a troll and has left. He no longer even replies to this thread. Even on WoW, when you first buy the game, you still have to enter credit card info to get that 30 day period AFTER the 14 day trial. Unless it has changed.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed. It was still like that at least when I started playing right before Cata came out.

WoW didn't have that when they launched, bro. NO MMO has EVER had free trials at launch...except free-to-play games, of course. ;)

I'm sure when Bioware is in the black, they will offer a 14 free day trial too. But you already bought the game...there is no "free" trial anymore. You must subscribe to have an active account, but if you don't like the game, you can cancel before the 30 days are up and you won't be charged. But you'll have still bought the game...

Wow had free trials at launch.

Each one of us who bought the collector's edition got, if I remember, 5 keys we could give out. Of course, they didn't release that many CE's, and if I'd known that I wouldn't have opened mine, since they were selling for upwards of $2k less than a year later.

Either way, it did have a free trial. You just had to be lucky enough to know someone who got the CE.

For me, its only that I wasn't allowed to play my free time at all until I answered their question. I have 30 days to set up a payment plan, but I can't play from day 2 unless I pick one. They already had my credit info, what else did they need?

Really, its not too big a deal for me. I like the game, I'll play the game. To me it feels rude that they block my free time for some answer they don't really need until 30 days out. They shouldn't have to worry, I'm not the kind of person to reach max level in 30 days, much less even half a year for many MMORPGs.

So you would rather have more bots/gold farmers in the game using throwaway accounts?

I'm tired of people falsely stating that MMORPGs like WoW, Rift, or old EQ, forced you to buy a subscription before being allowed to play your free 30 days. Sure, they DID ask you to provide credit info, but NONE of them actually forced you to buy game time and forbid you from playing your first 30 day period if you didn't.

TOR hasn't either - you can still cancel your "subscription" without being charged a dime. It's no different than Rift was at launch; when I put in my code for Rift I had to pick a subscription plan, which took effect after the free 30 days were up.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed. It was still like that at least when I started playing right before Cata came out.

It hasn't changed. My GF started playing at that time and I had to fill out a subscription for her to start playing. It's still on their FAQs too

But it IS true. They take your CC info, but don't charge you until the free 30 days is up.

Wow lots of idiots here.

Every P2P MMO that has been released into a global market had required this, look at the back of the box does it not say cc required?

Now maybe there has been one or two that did not but I can remember everything from Mxo to CoH to EQoA to rift making a valid cc mandatory.

Seems like a lot of people are misunderstanding the point. It's not necessarily gripe about having to enter their CC info. It's about being blocked from the free game time you should have gotten just by purchasing the game UNTIL you make a financial pledge towards future payments.

The box says to continue playing requires an active subscription, someone will have to check if it says "30 days of free time not applicable unless active subscription" which I don't believe it does. Because you can circumvent the intentions of the system doesn't automatically make it ok, that type of logic is very flawed.

The box says to continue playing requires an active subscription, someone will have to check if it says "30 days of free time not applicable unless active subscription" which I don't believe it does. Because you can circumvent the intentions of the system doesn't automatically make it ok, that type of logic is very flawed.

It says

"Valid Credit Card or Paid Game Card (if Available), Internet Connection and Paid Game Subscription required to play game. 30 day subscription included with purchase."

The 30 day subscription takes the place of the Paid Game Subscription but you still need an internet connection and a Valid Credit Card or Paid Game Card.

Seems like a lot of people are misunderstanding the point. It's not necessarily gripe about having to enter their CC info. It's about being blocked from the free game time you should have gotten just by purchasing the game UNTIL you make a financial pledge towards future payments.

It says it on the back of the box. Check your facts.

It says it on the back of the box. Check your facts.

How much more obvious does it have to be when I say "someone will have to check?" that I wasn't posting a fact?

And someone did check, thank you and I see the problem already. CC info required, ok. Valid sub required, that's ok too. 30 day sub included, ok. It doesn't say 30 day free time not included in the valid sub requirement. You bought the game. You get a month sub with the buy. But in reality you need a month + sub in order to play the 30 day sub you already paid for.

So, in essence, anyone not intending to have an active sub at the moment (for a myriad of reasons, including financial or time restraints atm) has to game the system in order to get what they just paid for. Interesting.

This is my last post. This person is correct, and the first two people to quote him acted like the earlier robots and flamed him WITHOUT READING the message. That's why it bugs me I'm goaded into another post against folks who aren't reading.

They HAD my credit info, same as any other MMORPG. Its a good anti-gold spammer tactic.

But they FORCED me to make a payment choice and blocked my free 30 days until I did so, which NO MMORPG previously has done. I've played several major ones from day 1.

But, you likely tuned me out and won't bother to make an intelligent argument with facts. Good night.

How much more obvious does it have to be when I say "someone will have to check?" that I wasn't posting a fact?

And someone did check, thank you and I see the problem already. CC info required, ok. Valid sub required, that's ok too. 30 day sub included, ok. It doesn't say 30 day free time not included in the valid sub requirement. You bought the game. You get a month sub with the buy. But in reality you need a month + sub in order to play the 30 day sub you already paid for.

So, in essence, anyone not intending to have an active sub at the moment (for a myriad of reasons, including financial or time restraints atm) has to game the system in order to get what they just paid for. Interesting.

You seem to understand that you need to have a valid CC or game card to play and that was clearly stated. You don't get charged on those till the 30 days is up. I don't see what the problem is.

I dont understand. You dont get charged until after your 30 days are up if you even choose to keep ur card on your account. You dont get charged a dime for 30 days i dont see how you cantset a plan to play for financial reasons if you dont get charged to begin with. I dont even see what the big deal is. It takes 2 seconds of your time and doesnt cost a cent.