Fight Club

georgemattson

The point system seems a bit arbitrary :D.

I suggest holding a vote when the guild gather the first 10 players that actually join the guild, that might be more official -feel.

Yeah, I would definitely grant it was arbitrary, but the way I figured it, I didn't think we'd get an overwhelming slew of votes by last night and I needed to get something together fairly quickly. Not sure if I'm rushing things too much (everyone please feel free to let me know if I am), but I figured I wanted to at least get some of the infrastructure down before the Christmas break.

Now, to my opinion, the name isn't the most important thing. I will follow and support GM's decision. As I said in an earlier post I think the idea of the Guild's purpose and goals are in overall the most important matter here. But with that said, every healthy community have a transparency and an ongoing dialogue surrounding the decisionmaking concerning its members.

I my self will not be online until Saturday late afternoon/early evening. I think we can consider us a global guild since not all of us resides with in the US. That would indicate the level of importance we all have in making this happen.

for me the next coming days are; work, Christmas shopping, Christmas shopping, work and maybe some SWToR then Christmas !

cheers and happy holidays.

Thanks, and yes; I absolutely agree on the transparency thing. I've been in too many guilds where decision making came from the top down to ever be comfortable with that. Of course, there's also a real danger in trying to do the "decision making by committee" thing, too. Wait too long to build a consensus and sooner or later people lose interest or forget what was going on.

For now, I'm sure we can just get the guild together and play things by ear.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Understand the time pressure and appreciate you effort on keep this idea going.

I will say this though, if folks didn't end up joining the guild, their vote shouldn't count. So it might be better to vote on the name when you do get the players to join up and create the guild. Huckdabuck/Texassentinel in this thread didn't really express his preference either.

Of cause a re-vote can only happen if everybody agree, otherwise should stick with Red/Blue syndicate. I personally feel it is too generic. Fight club was the OP's brain child and what it started out to be.

Yeah, I would definitely grant it was arbitrary, but the way I figured it, I didn't think we'd get an overwhelming slew of votes by last night and I needed to get something together fairly quickly. Not sure if I'm rushing things too much (everyone please feel free to let me know if I am), but I figured I wanted to at least get some of the infrastructure down before the Christmas break.

Thanks, and yes; I absolutely agree on the transparency thing. I've been in too many guilds where decision making came from the top down to ever be comfortable with that. Of course, there's also a real danger in trying to do the "decision making by committee" thing, too. Wait too long to build a consensus and sooner or later people lose interest or forget what was going on.

For now, I'm sure we can just get the guild together and play things by ear.

Did you get the guild up and running last night? :)

Sadly, no. Not enough people online at any one time. Last minute Christmas stuff, I'm sure.

My best guess is that we'll have the guild up within the next week or so, but I'm not sure how much time people are spending online at the moment, as I've only seen one other person at a time online. Of course, in the interests of full disclosure, I should mention that I've only been on for a couple hours a night lately, as the wife and I got a new flatscreen TV and we're fighting for access to it. Makes for a really great venue for showcasing how much I suck at WZ PvP and desperately need practice, but also makes it a touch difficult to play when she's watching her shows.

That's too bad. Maybe we should try to come up with a specific time and date and have some sort of "name list" who could make it during that time? If people are home but busy with Christmas stuff (I spend all yesterday wrapping gifts), maybe they could spend 15 minutes to form the guild even if they weren't playing otherwise, if they were just given a specific time to log in for 15 minutes.

That's too bad. Maybe we should try to come up with a specific time and date and have some sort of "name list" who could make it during that time? If people are home but busy with Christmas stuff (I spend all yesterday wrapping gifts), maybe they could spend 15 minutes to form the guild even if they weren't playing otherwise, if they were just given a specific time to log in for 15 minutes.

Definitely not a bad idea. Let me get with the wife and see what time we're out tomorrow. I know we were planning on heading out to eat tonight and were also planning on going to a movie tomorrow, but I've got a fair chunk of the afternoon tonight and most of the day tomorrow available. I should be free most of the day Monday as well, and any time at night throughout the rest of the week (wife is heading home to Colorado to have Christmas with her parents, so lots of gaming time for me).

Found one more player online, during an Alderaan Civil War match which he coordinated (and which we won, surprisingly enough). He's interested in joining us.

Hope you don't mind, but I gave Sygnetix your names (on the Pub side). He has also given me his names; feel free to add him as a friend in-game and say hello:

Sygnetix

Ima'git'ya

Ima'find'ya

In addition, his forum name is Sabain.

Finally, fwiw, I should be back online tonight (as Rexorshan) at about 8:30 or 9 pm MST.

So... ran into Sol'denak online just a minute ago (alt-tabbed out of the game atm), and he suggested looking for three volunteers to meet me in game to start the guild.

If you're available tomorrow night, please let me know here in the thread. Assuming the time works for everyone, I'd like to meet at about 8pm mountain time (10pm eastern, 7pm pacific). Send a whisper to me (Rexorshan), and I'll invite you to a group and then form the guild once we have four players.

Different sites don't feel like agreeing on what is "mountain time" on GMT, but the most popular answer seems to be that it's GMT -7, which means that poor people on GMT +2 will have to wake up 5 AM to participate. I'd rather not, but if you get three people signed up for this and only need a fourth member, I'll wake up early to help you out. :p But if I'm not needed (not enough people even if I come or enough people without me), I'll prefer sleeping.

Anyway, is tomorrow mentioned in the post 23.12. or 24.12.? Because when you're living in GMT +2, the post came 6 AM 23.12., but I guess you guys were still living 22.12.?

Different sites don't feel like agreeing on what is "mountain time" on GMT, but the most popular answer seems to be that it's GMT -7, which means that poor people on GMT +2 will have to wake up 5 AM to participate. I'd rather not, but if you get three people signed up for this and only need a fourth member, I'll wake up early to help you out. :p But if I'm not needed (not enough people even if I come or enough people without me), I'll prefer sleeping.

Anyway, is tomorrow mentioned in the post 23.12. or 24.12.? Because when you're living in GMT +2, the post came 6 AM 23.12., but I guess you guys were still living 22.12.?

Ha ha ha... yeah. :) 12/23. And yes, it's GMT-7. Let's see what kind of responses we get online today before you decide to wake up at 5am. I've got the day off today (I work Tuesday-Saturday), so I'll have plenty of time to run into people today and check the forum as well.

Well it might just come down to your heroic getting-out-of-warm-bed super early :D.

Once it's started, it will be rolling.

Okay - just got back from the airport. Guild is online and we have four members, with 14 alts between us. Still haven't heard back from DainjaMous, and my attempts to figure out how to replicate the site he came up with have been less than successful. However, there is another forum site that I used to use which I am familiar with, and I've started getting that put together. If we don't hear back from DM in the next few days, I'll go ahead and release that info. In the meantime, I'm going ahead and posting a bunch of stuff on that site (mostly links I've found) so that it isn't completely empty if we do move to that. If DM comes back, I'll just transfer that stuff over to his site.

The Mumble server is also online as well. If you've lost that info, contact me in-game and I'll send it your way. If you'd prefer not to join the guild, you absolutely don't have to; this is just meant to get some folks together to learn, practice, and experience PvP without all the hassles we've previously run into.

Next steps:

Up to you guys - please contact me in-game (Rexorshan or Keyira) for the Mumble info, and let's start coordinating PvP via voice comms. Also, any of the other members should be able to invite you as well. Look for Praiden, Minirotta, Sygnetix, or any of their alts.

Website on hold for the immediate future.

Edited by georgemattson

Okay - just got back from the airport. Guild is online and we have four members, with 14 alts between us. Still haven't heard back from DainjaMous, and my attempts to figure out how to replicate the site he came up with have been less than successful. However, there is another forum site that I used to use which I am familiar with, and I've started getting that put together. If we don't hear back from DM in the next few days, I'll go ahead and release that info. In the meantime, I'm going ahead and posting a bunch of stuff on that site (mostly links I've found) so that it isn't completely empty if we do move to that. If DM comes back, I'll just transfer that stuff over to his site.

The Mumble server is also online as well. If you've lost that info, contact me in-game and I'll send it your way. If you'd prefer not to join the guild, you absolutely don't have to; this is just meant to get some folks together to learn, practice, and experience PvP without all the hassles we've previously run into.

Next steps:

Up to you guys - please contact me in-game (Rexorshan or Keyira) for the Mumble info, and let's start coordinating PvP via voice comms. Also, any of the other members should be able to invite you as well. Look for Praiden, Minirotta, Sygnetix, or any of their alts.

Website on hold for the immediate future.

Good that the Thing is on. I'll try to contact y'all next time I'm online. Am a bit tied up in RL social commitments during the holidays,

Cheers - and see u all ingame.

I think I got my mumble assembled, but I ran into unexpected troubles. I found out that my headset's microphone is very badly placed, I talk pretty quietly, and my keyboard is really loud. While doing the audio wizard setup, me typing was just as loud as me talking.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problems? Is there some way to go around this problem?

I think I got my mumble assembled, but I ran into unexpected troubles. I found out that my headset's microphone is very badly placed, I talk pretty quietly, and my keyboard is really loud. While doing the audio wizard setup, me typing was just as loud as me talking.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problems? Is there some way to go around this problem?

I'm afraid I don't. Mechanical keyboard, I'm guessing?

I'm afraid I don't. Mechanical keyboard, I'm guessing?

Tbh, I have no idea if my keyboard is mechanical or if I'm just an very aggressive button-presser. My keyboard seems to be called "microsoft wireless keyboard 800 model 1455", and I have no idea what headset I'm using (it's something Asus gave me for free when they messed up when repairing my computer). Mumble doesn't register everytime I press a button, but it seems that every time I'm trying to push something fast, I press the key a little harder than usually, and my microphone/mumble registers this sound. While playing, probably around 30-70% of the sounds registers. When I'm typing, absolutely everything registers.

Tried to google this and didn't find anything that would solve this problem. Also tried using another microphone (an old one, the kind of mic that sits on the desk), didn't help.