Fight Club

georgemattson

All: I've got a first draft of our site up and running, and am interested in your feedback. Head to the following URL:

https://sites.google.com/site/testsite10301/home

and take a look around. A couple of things to consider while reviewing:

+ I've used "Unusual Suspects" as a placeholder for whatever we ultimately determine our guild name to be;

+ Review the structure, organization and features, and provide feedback on things you think are missing or could be improved;

+ Review the content to see if it gets the right message across about what we're trying to achieve, and let me know if there's anything that concerns you or doesn't make sense.

The guild site (and the Fight Club idea) is still in beta, so now is your chance to influence our direction for the better.

Thanks in advance!

I think the website looks great!!! And I really like Unusual Suspects as a guild name too! You did an awesome job!! I can't wait to join :D

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the awesome feedback! Really appreciate you taking your time to review in detail.

No problem. ^^

It might be just that I'm reading between the lines where there isn't anything between the lines, but if I was requesting membership right now with that form, I'd be worried that people are excluded based on how much/at what time they play. If there was a ops guild and it's membership info/membership request form would say/ask things like "Ability to run ops on a regular basis", "at what time are you usually running ops?" and "how many ops in a week do you usually run?", wouldn't you think that people who aren't running enough ops/can't make it when the runs usually happen?

If you don't, then it's probably just me and you can ignore this. But if someone else sees it this way too (and proves I'm not just paranoid or something), you could always add some sort of "notice that fields x, y and z are only informative."-text after the "Prophecy of the Five Server Only: please complete all fields as directed."-text.

Another thing that came to my mind, we could always "practise" warzone situations in open world pvp. I.e. let's have 2 teams, 5 imps and 5 pubs, and have them come to a location x (pvp flags on if a pve server), and then decide that i.e. some stone/tree is a node, imps defend it and pubs try to take it. We'd have to decide some sort of mark what means that a player starts to "cap" the node, and we could have a trainer or a couple giving feedback and also looking for this mark and counting the seconds after someone starts capping (and informing if the enemy succesfully caps). Damaging the player "capping" would, of course, end the "cap".

Actually, this is similar in concept to the event I had planned to run on JC this past weekend (before multiple players told me they'd be doing Galactic Starfighter on PTS instead). I've been trying to figure out an approach to conducting objective-based PvP outside of a WZ. The primary challenge in a hyper-competitive environment like SWTOR is identifying objectives that aren't conducive to interpretation / cheating. Then, when I was treasure hunting in Outlaw's Den a couple of weeks ago, the idea came to me that you could use a GTN terminal as an objective to create a "capture the flag" game.

Here's how it works (using Outlaw's Den as an example):

(1) Both teams congregate at their respective entrance to the Den.

(2) At the event start, the event coordinator announces to both teams the description of an item that has been posted to GTN for purchase.

(3) The goal for both teams is to be the first to get to the GTN terminal at the middle of Outlaw's Den, and locate / purchase the identified item.

(4) The event stops the moment that the coordinator receives the email purchase message.

It's in imperfect solution in that it could potentially be cheated; but, it at least eliminates interpretation. The winning side either has a player near the GTN terminal that can produce the object, or not. Not sure whether this would work for every designated PvP area (do they all have GTN terminals?), but it makes Outlaw's Den an interesting possibility for intra-guild battles.

Here's how it works (using Outlaw's Den as an example):

(1) Both teams congregate at their respective entrance to the Den.

(2) At the event start, the event coordinator announces to both teams the description of an item that has been posted to GTN for purchase.

(3) The goal for both teams is to be the first to get to the GTN terminal at the middle of Outlaw's Den, and locate / purchase the identified item.

(4) The event stops the moment that the coordinator receives the email purchase message.

I think this is a good idea - even though I'm not sure if the other designeted pvp areas have GTN, but at least it would work on Outlaw's Den. This also got me thinking - could we have 2 coordinators and use them as objectives? So i.e. 2 teams have to protect their coordinator and move him from place a to place b (maybe from their "starting point" to enemy's "starting point"?). Coordinator can't participate in the fighting in any way, he can only walk towards the "finish line" (or maybe follow a player with a special target marker on him?), and the team's goal would be either killing the enemy team's coordinator while keeping their coordinator alive or getting your coordinator to the enemy's starting point before the enemy coordinator gets to your team's starting point.

Not sure if that would work in practise, though. The coordinators shouldn't be unkillable and at the same time, shouldn't go down in seconds (which is pretty possible if the coordinator isn't allowed to activate defensive cds or use speed boosts) and they would have to have roughly the same stats.

Anyway, I hope no one will mind that I took the freedom to start rerolling toons on Pot5 already. ^^ I'm hoping to have them at least past the starter planets & geared with something else than level 1 greens by the time we actually launch this project and thought it's better to start too early than too late.

I like both ideas, and please feel free to add me to your friends lists on PoT5. (That goes for everyone, of course) Not going to be online much, if at all, after tonight as the wife and I are going on vacation, but I should be on for a bit today.

Keyira (32, Sentinel) - main

Arlenvoss (55, Sentinel) - crafting alt

Rexorshan (54, Sentinel) - on standby at the moment

Aldenack (19, Gunslinger)

Muleone (11, Gunslinger)

Cheldiarr (36, Operative)

Karnad (23, Marauder)

O'rama (11, Inquisitor)

If any of you want a leveling buddy to do the starter planets & power through FPs, etc., let me know and I'll roll another alt.

By the way - anyone have any objections to my setting up a Mumble, Vent, Teamspeak, Raidcall, etc. server? I'd prefer Mumble myself, and I don't mind paying the cost on that, as long as we get usage out of it (which it sounds like we will). For now, I'll go with the 25 user option so you guys can coordinate and do whatever you need to while I'm on vacation.

By the way - anyone have any objections to my setting up a Mumble, Vent, Teamspeak, Raidcall, etc. server? I'd prefer Mumble myself, and I don't mind paying the cost on that, as long as we get usage out of it (which it sounds like we will). For now, I'll go with the 25 user option so you guys can coordinate and do whatever you need to while I'm on vacation.

I've already got the Mumble client installed, so it's an easy choice for me :)

I've got absolutely nothing installed, so I'll vote for anything that has clear instructions on how to instal/use it. ^^

I'm planning on having 4 alts at start and playing them all through chapter 2 at least (to get all 4 legacy buffs). Not sure if I'll max level them all/gear them all at max level. I got my 2 pub toons (Minirotta the smuggler and Tuisku the trooper) created, creating imperial toons later this week/next week depending on when I get my december's complimentary cartel coins to buy the chiss unlock.

Thanks again to all for the great feedback. I had the afternoon off (thank goodness for Thanksgiving PTO!), so I made a complete round of revisions to the site based on your comments. I think it's much improved based on your input.

If you have the time, please take a second look. Again, here's the link:

Also, please try out the complete Membership Request process, so I can confirm that it works everywhere. For character name, just enter "Test" so I can purge the test entries later.

Once we finalize the initial site content and decide on a name for our merry band, I'll deploy the site to its permanent location (it's currently in a test environment) and request a new domain name to point at our site. Then we'll be open for bidness!

Thanks again for all of your help!

Thanks again to all for the great feedback. I had the afternoon off (thank goodness for Thanksgiving PTO!), so I made a complete round of revisions to the site based on your comments. I think it's much improved based on your input.

Also, please try out the complete Membership Request process, so I can confirm that it works everywhere. For character name, just enter "Test" so I can purge the test entries later.

Once we finalize the initial site content and decide on a name for our merry band, I'll deploy the site to its permanent location (it's currently in a test environment) and request a new domain name to point at our site. Then we'll be open for bidness!

*Thumbs up

Progressing nicely

Just submitted, and thanks for all the work.

A couple thoughts, though: first, it seems a bit long. Is that normal? Not saying that's good or bad; I haven't joined very many guilds in the past, so don't have a great frame of reference.

Second, is the server list correct? This is the list that I currently see. Not sure if that's all that's available or a limited selection due to my (US) IP address.

• Prophecy of the Five
  • The Harbinger
  • The Bastion
  • Bergeren Colony
  • Jedi Covenant
  • Jung Ma
  • The Shadowlands
  • The Ebon Hawk

Edited by georgemattson

Oh, one last thought... I'd like to get the Mumble server online tonight (or at least early tomorrow morning), if possible. The wife and I are heading out for vacation tomorrow and I can't guarantee when I'll be able to get online. The problem is that the Mumble server requires a domain registration, [yournamehere].mumble.com, in other words.

If you guys are okay with waiting, I don't mind, and if we want to re-register a different name later, that's okay as well, but I figure it might be useful for you guys to have a Mumble server to connect to as soon as possible.

Any thoughts on the domain name? Or would you guys prefer to wait? Alternately, if someone else wants to foot the bill for the server for the first month, I can reimburse you and then take over going forward (I'd prefer you start with the $10 version to begin with, just in case).

Oh, one last thought... I'd like to get the Mumble server online tonight (or at least early tomorrow morning), if possible. The wife and I are heading out for vacation tomorrow and I can't guarantee when I'll be able to get online. The problem is that the Mumble server requires a domain registration, [yournamehere].mumble.com, in other words.

If you guys are okay with waiting, I don't mind, and if we want to re-register a different name later, that's okay as well, but I figure it might be useful for you guys to have a Mumble server to connect to as soon as possible.

Any thoughts on the domain name? Or would you guys prefer to wait? Alternately, if someone else wants to foot the bill for the server for the first month, I can reimburse you and then take over going forward (I'd prefer you start with the $10 version to begin with, just in case).

Let's wait...it'll be easier on potential members if they don't have to setup for one domain then switch to another. Same reason I originally built the website in a test environment. I've got a placeholder DNS for the domain name...once we decide on a guild name, I'll register it and get it out to everyone.

The other nice thing is that with the DNS package I have, I can setup domain email aliases for anyone that wants one. So, I could have "dainjamouz@unusualsuspects.com" direct to my personal email account. Need to test it first, once we have our domain registered, but it's another potential benefit we could offer.

Enjoy the vacation! Don't let the wife catch you sneaking time on 2XP weekend :)

Edited by DainjaMouz

Just submitted, and thanks for all the work.

A couple thoughts, though: first, it seems a bit long. Is that normal? Not saying that's good or bad; I haven't joined very many guilds in the past, so don't have a great frame of reference.

Second, is the server list correct? This is the list that I currently see. Not sure if that's all that's available or a limited selection due to my (US) IP address.

• Prophecy of the Five
  • The Harbinger
  • The Bastion
  • Bergeren Colony
  • Jedi Covenant
  • Jung Ma
  • The Shadowlands
  • The Ebon Hawk

(a) I'd say it might be a little longer than usual, but not by much. I recently completed one where I had to respond to 10 essay questions (that was a pain). I think ours is much easier than that, because we're mostly just asking people to select options. What I've found elsewhere is that you want to strike the right balance--it need to be long enough so that people don't just complete it as a whim, but not so long that you lose people in process. Maybe I make the questions on Page 2 (the play time questions) optional. People who are really looking for PvP partners will complete it anyway, and I can pull out those questions into a separate form that members can choose to complete once they're enrolled and have a better understanding of the value of providing schedule info.

(b) Server list includes Europe servers. I've gotten dinged on earlier surveys I've published when I didn't include them (they're paying attention, and some actively participate in this forum). Hopefully we'll add some European members to our Associate community.

Edited by DainjaMouz

I think the site looks great now! That "pvp version of a harscore raiding guild"-feeling? I'm not getting it anymore. The membership info imo looks a lot more welcoming, especially for pve people and people who have limited time to play. I don't think the membership request process is too long, it's mostly questions you can answer pretty quickly. (Not sure if you needed anymore testing of the request process DM, but I sent one anyway just in case.) The website also gives pretty good instructions on how to request membership; it even answered to my question "what do I do if I went to request membership for characters on different servers" before I even got to ask it!

And yeah, we Europeans definitely hang out on the forums too. Just look at the amount of forum signatures with TOFN as the server. I've also seen a couple of other people from Red Eclipse. ^^

Georgemattson, you should be able to see the European servers, too. (At least I can see the American servers.) when you're at the server selection, look down. On left, you see text "North America". Next to it, "Europe". Click "Europe" and it should show you the European servers, too. ^^

Oh, and good news: I got my complimentary cartel coins & chiss unlock. So for the people on Pot5, my imperial toons: Kres'anj'arani the warrior (core name Sanjar) and Chaf'ial'anell the inquisitor (core name Fiala).

So, took some time to go over your web site again DM, and I must say, less is more even here. It's neat, clean and not to thick a text to get lost in.

I will in the near weeks transfer my lvl 30-ish Cyborg Commando Healer "Cáron" from The Ebon Hawk on to POT5, And I will be rerolling a new toon on the POT5 from scratch. I do not currently have any uncommited 55ers.

Looking forward seeing you all ingame ...

And the re-roll became a Scoundrel - scrapper - Named "Maq".

Edited by t-darko

Ok..back from overstuffing my face. I'm gonna put up a poll sometime today to get to a decision around our community name. t-darko, thx for going back over the site. i'm planning to take a final look over it today with fresh eyes, so that we'll be ready to officially launch once we get to a decision on a name.

i'm also planning to migrate my primary to pot5--not enough ranked action on jc. will roll a secondary as well so i can level with you guys.

hope everyone had a great thanksgiving.

Is the google site operational?

Ok..back from overstuffing my face. I'm gonna put up a poll sometime today to get to a decision around our community name. t-darko, thx for going back over the site. i'm planning to take a final look over it today with fresh eyes, so that we'll be ready to officially launch once we get to a decision on a name.

i'm also planning to migrate my primary to pot5--not enough ranked action on jc. will roll a secondary as well so i can level with you guys.

hope everyone had a great thanksgiving.

I'm on Bastion and not transferring any toons to Pot5. That said, if enough folks want to run this gig on Bastion I'm in.

I filled out the online application to help you exercise the system...

TANGENT: here is what I want from PvP

1. all my teammates in voice chat (4-man in voice on an 8-man team is OK)
  2. play with the same pool of teammates so we can develop a rapport
  3. play with folks who want to improve
  4. not have too many one sided matches (winning or losing)

The list above is not very ambitious yet I find 1 and 2 particularly hard to achieve these days, to say nothing of 3 and 4.

I'm on Bastion and not transferring any toons to Pot5. That said, if enough folks want to run this gig on Bastion I'm in.

I filled out the online application to help you exercise the system...

TANGENT: here is what I want from PvP

1. all my teammates in voice chat (4-man in voice on an 8-man team is OK)
  2. play with the same pool of teammates so we can develop a rapport
  3. play with folks who want to improve
  4. not have too many one sided matches (winning or losing)

The list above is not very ambitious yet I find 1 and 2 particularly hard to achieve these days, to say nothing of 3 and 4.

Well... some points to consider with regards to re-rolling on PoT5 (or transferring):

• All of your teammates will be in voice chat
  • Your opponents will also be in voice chat. Although they will be on a different channel, there's no reason we couldn't combine them for special events.
  • We will all be in the same pool of teammates, both Rep and Imp, so we're quite likely to build a rapport, both among our own faction and cross-faction. Smack talking and competitiveness should actually be enjoyed by both sides, instead of being a deadly serious matter of "YOU ALL SUCK!"
  • Everyone will want to improve, and trainers will be available to help people. Noobs will listen, elites will be polite, and everyone should enjoy PvP much more.
  • We'll have active match-making. Your group got stomped 2-3 times in a row? We'll keep everyone matched up with other players of similar skill, have them queue at the same time as players on the opposing faction of similar skill (or at least get similarly skilled players of that faction to queue on two separate teams). No more "elite" pre-mades queuing at the same time as the "noob" pre-mades, in other words (unless we accidentally queue against pre-mades outside of this group, of course, or a random group of PUGs.

Overall, I think it might not necessarily be easy, but it's certainly doable for us to achieve every one of these points.

I really like the better ping times I have as a california player using a west coast server (I used to have toons on Fatman). That said, community trumps all. I'll transfer one toon to Pot5 and give Fight Club a try.

As for opponents also being in voice chat -- I hope so! The point is to have interesting and challenging games, not one sided affairs where we win (or lose) every match by a landslide.

I only wish an energetic leader on Bastion would do the same thing you are doing. (I am not an energetic leader).

I have also signed up on the website provided as this sounds like a great idea. I currently have 2 lowbie toons on PoT5 but may just transfer a non-raiding toon over from the Harbinger if this really takes off. If not then there is always my alt-aholic addiction! Edited by Huckdabuck

Thanks guys. Just as a heads up, though, I should probably mention that I'm on vacation at the moment and unable to play until next Tuesday. DainjaMous is currently heading up the website thing, and as soon as everyone chooses a name for this group, I'll buy a Mumble server for us to use.

So for the moment, we're still in the ramping up stage. Good things to come soon, though, I'm certain.

Thanks guys. Just as a heads up, though, I should probably mention that I'm on vacation at the moment and unable to play until next Tuesday. DainjaMous is currently heading up the website thing, and as soon as everyone chooses a name for this group, I'll buy a Mumble server for us to use.

So for the moment, we're still in the ramping up stage. Good things to come soon, though, I'm certain.

I Think its an easier fix to have PUGs playing vs PUGs and preamdes vs Premades. that way u get what u expect to face. Having hi end players among noobs is causing annoyment on all levels since your boxed in 8vs 8 in a small area. And the arenas just makes it even worse!!