Fight Club

georgemattson

I would be SO down with this idea!!! I have only been PvPing for a couple months and already I am "over" the attitudes! Would love to get involved with a group that just wants to play and learn without all the rudeness! I have majority (13) of my toons on JC, but have 3 on Pot5. It has been my experience that JC WZ queues pop a little faster than Pot5 and (again, in my experience) players are much harsher on Pot5.

Whatever is decided, count me in!!! I think this is a great idea. I'll help out any way I can with whatever needs doing :)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tested my server lag on Pot5, it was 176, not an expert of server lag but I guess that's pretty tolerable?

So I'd be happy to reroll a toon or a couple (I'll probably end up having way too much alts anyway, I'd have probably at least 30 at RE if there wasn't a limit :p) to at least any east coast american server (guessing the server lag will be same at all of those?), but I don't feel like abandoning Red Eclipse for good, so it would be a couple of nights a week only. Plus, if we make a website, I could put my RE toons' names there. I'll be more than happy to help any players of RE while doing whatever I'm doing with my RE toons. ^^

(Now I just have to figure out the best & fastest way to get chiss species unlock on my "new" server... As soon as it's decided, of course.)

I gladly reroll a new character on any server we start on. As far as I see it, you are the leader at this point georgemat, and it seems u got a co-leader in the webpage guy(DM) here. I have one concern only, don't feel the need in the idea to explode in member numbers, be patience. It is my firm belief that we are much more then give voice on this forums, and don't underestimate the need for an allowing, friendly pvp community. It may seem as an uphill battle now. But this could be a the restart the pvp community on this game need ... Edited by t-darko

I have one concern only, don't feel the need in the idea to explode in member numbers, be patience. It is my firm belief that we are much more then give voice on this forums, and don't underestimate the need for an allowing, friendly pvp community.

Good point, though one of the problems is that one of the goals - having a nice and friendly place to teach the "bads" - is hard to achieve with forum "advertising" only, since most of the "bads" don't use the forums. I personally didn't even know there were "forums" in here before I googled something related to the game and accidently found this place.

I think a good way to let the "bads" know we exist would be that when you give some advise to someone (and they seem to be thankful of it), you could mention the projct (and maybe the website/guild?), just in case they are interested (if they are thankful of your advise, I'd say they probably are the kind of people who could be interested).

I gladly reroll a new character on any server we start on. As far as I see it, you are the leader at this point georgemat, and it seems u got a co-leader in the webpage guy(DM) here. I have one concern only, don't feel the need in the idea to explode in member numbers, be patience. It is my firm belief that we are much more then give voice on this forums, and don't underestimate the need for an allowing, friendly pvp community. It may seem as an uphill battle now. But this could be a the restart the pvp community on this game need ...

Yeah, but there is at least one problem with that, in that I'm going on vacation next Tuesday for two weeks, and while I may have Internet access, I'm not going to be gaming at all during that time.

If you guys are okay with waiting until I get back, that'll work for me.

Okay guys - a progress report for where we're at, and our plans at the moment.

DM is going to get the website up and running this weekend. We'll post the link as soon as we get it. Nothing fancy; just something to help us all organize. He figures we can make it look nicer later, and I definitely agree. He's also going to take over for the two weeks I'm gone. As I'm heading out of town on Tuesday, I'm thinking I might be able to get onto the forum here and there over that time, but actually playing is likely out of the question.

One question we did have for everyone; what do you think would be a good name for this group?

Okay guys - a progress report for where we're at, and our plans at the moment.

DM is going to get the website up and running this weekend. We'll post the link as soon as we get it. Nothing fancy; just something to help us all organize. He figures we can make it look nicer later, and I definitely agree. He's also going to take over for the two weeks I'm gone. As I'm heading out of town on Tuesday, I'm thinking I might be able to get onto the forum here and there over that time, but actually playing is likely out of the question.

One question we did have for everyone; what do you think would be a good name for this group?

Fight club is a good name. This is a good cause. I have been thinking about similar idea for a while. Forming a group for good-sport, willing to learn and improve people is great.

Website aside, I think setting up an in-game chat channel will work great too. I know there is a PVP channel but nobody ever use it, because you never get useful info out of it. Having a dedicated fight club channel might work great, since you know you get like minded folks there. We can still create chat channels right?

The Fight Club is nice otherwise, but it's a little too common for my taste. Example A, those people putting references/links to the movie "The Fight Club" in this thread. Any chance we could try to make it a little more Star Wars like/Scifi like? (Can't really think of good variants right now. Galactic Fight Club would be the most obvious, but Galactic is a little clicheish. TOR already has galactic trade network and galactic solutions industries.)

I'm on Pot5, about to hit 55 maxed on ranked and regular comms, and willing to lead, co-lead, whatever. This is not my first max toon, I've just been gone for a while.

I used to run with a group in WoW called 'cross realms' and we would queue people from across multiple realms in the same battlegroup for AV and roflstomp the Horde. We communicated over vent and followed a set plan (group 1 to tower 4, etc.) I think a similar plan here can be a good way for people to learn what's going on.

I'd like to write-up strategies for the non-arena warzones and use those when we run wzs if you guys think it's a good idea.

Potential names if 'Fight Club' doesn't work out:

Fear and Loathing in Mos Eisley

Professional Pazaak Players

Obi-Wan Lied

I'm on Pot5, about to hit 55 maxed on ranked and regular comms, and willing to lead, co-lead, whatever. This is not my first max toon, I've just been gone for a while.

I used to run with a group in WoW called 'cross realms' and we would queue people from across multiple realms in the same battlegroup for AV and roflstomp the Horde. We communicated over vent and followed a set plan (group 1 to tower 4, etc.) I think a similar plan here can be a good way for people to learn what's going on.

I'd like to write-up strategies for the non-arena warzones and use those when we run wzs if you guys think it's a good idea.

Potential names if 'Fight Club' doesn't work out:

Fear and Loathing in Mos Eisley

Professional Pazaak Players

Obi-Wan Lied

Sounds like a great idea. TBH, I was thinking of doing something similar. Nothing advanced at all; just "here's how to bind your "Throw the Huttball" ability to a key (and why it's important), why (and how) you should guard nodes, how to call out incoming, etc. Just the really basic stuff that PvP players assume that everyone knows but which, as a totally new player, you have no clue about.

This kinda reminds me of something I would really like to see happen at some point, eventually, if we managed to get enough people in here; Fight Club (or whatever we call ourselves) exclusive warzones. Ideally, I'd like to be able to see us training in warzones where we'd have two pre-made teams of four on each side, with all 16 of us on voice comms. I'm not sure how we'd manage that, but having eight of us on one channel and eight on the other, with perhaps the two leaders also on a common channel, would allow us to not only practice strategies but also stop and start the fight as needed so that we could give feedback on the spot.

Not sure just how practical that would be, and maybe it'd be an untenable idea (it would, after all, depend on us being able to completely fill a WZ with only our members), but it would sure as heck be better than frantically typing stuff out in WZ chat that people may not see because they're too busy trying to stay alive or run back into the fight.

This kinda reminds me of something I would really like to see happen at some point, eventually, if we managed to get enough people in here; Fight Club (or whatever we call ourselves) exclusive warzones. Ideally, I'd like to be able to see us training in warzones where we'd have two pre-made teams of four on each side, with all 16 of us on voice comms. I'm not sure how we'd manage that, but having eight of us on one channel and eight on the other, with perhaps the two leaders also on a common channel, would allow us to not only practice strategies but also stop and start the fight as needed so that we could give feedback on the spot.

Not sure just how practical that would be, and maybe it'd be an untenable idea (it would, after all, depend on us being able to completely fill a WZ with only our members), but it would sure as heck be better than frantically typing stuff out in WZ chat that people may not see because they're too busy trying to stay alive or run back into the fight.

Tbh, the only way to do this right now is to queue 4 premades at the same time (on off-peak hours, probably) and hope they end up in the same match. Highly unlikely, I'd say, since there probably are at least 4 people queueing to a warzone at all times. So we would have maybe 2 or even 3 of your premades in and the remaining 1 or 2 somewhere else/still queueing.

Though, if we get some sort of i.e. teamspeak, we could always give feedback during the match through that even if we couldn't "pause" the game.

Another thing that came to my mind, we could always "practise" warzone situations in open world pvp. I.e. let's have 2 teams, 5 imps and 5 pubs, and have them come to a location x (pvp flags on if a pve server), and then decide that i.e. some stone/tree is a node, imps defend it and pubs try to take it. We'd have to decide some sort of mark what means that a player starts to "cap" the node, and we could have a trainer or a couple giving feedback and also looking for this mark and counting the seconds after someone starts capping (and informing if the enemy succesfully caps). Damaging the player "capping" would, of course, end the "cap".

Especially smalled-scale situations would be easy to practise like this. Ninjacapping/guarding in the way that you won't get ninjacapped came to my mind first. 1-2 guards and 1-2 ninjacappers + trainer would be a nice amount of people for this. You could try different situations i.e. 1 guard 1 ninja, 2 guards 1 ninja, 1 guard 2 ninjas, 2 guards 2 ninjas and let the people figure out how to best handle the situation where they are 1 vs. 2. If we want to take it even further, someone could inside an actual warzone measure how long it takes to run from i.e. mid to grass in CW or mid to pylon in AHG. Then, when the guard(s) notice the ninja(s), they would call incs and the clock would start ticking. If the ninjas don't manage to cap the node before "reinforcements arrive", they fail.

About the name: I have some shady memory about some Alderaanian noble telling how Alderaan used to have some sort of "rules" to warfare, to keep even war somehow more noble/honorable/gentlemanish. Anyone else remember anything about this? I tried to google it, but found nothing, and I'm starting to suspect my shady memory has failed me. I just think this idea of "honorable warfare" would suit us nicely (since we want good sportsmanship in places called "warzones") and name referring to that would be great.

I hate to say this, since I don't want to jinx it, but it's a boring day at work and I've got an hour left before I go on vacation for two weeks when I noticed this thread:

Pot5 Arena Organization Thread + Arena Global Chat Channel

What would you guys think of combining these efforts? Personally, it sounds to me like he's already got a fair chunk of work done in this regard (including the Mumble server).

Oh, and...

From The Harbinger:

List Of Active PvP Guilds & Players

I am SO pumped to realize we're not alone in wanting to get people together on voice coms :)

Edited by georgemattson

^ I'd be fine with combining these (especisially if we decide to pick Pot5 as the "home base" - that hasn't been completely decided yet?) if those people just are fine with it. Their goal seems to differ from our, though: they just want to get more people to queue for group ranked pvp, which is something i.e. I'm not really interested in.

All: I've got a first draft of our site up and running, and am interested in your feedback. Head to the following URL:

https://sites.google.com/site/testsite10301/home

and take a look around. A couple of things to consider while reviewing:

+ I've used "Unusual Suspects" as a placeholder for whatever we ultimately determine our guild name to be;

+ Review the structure, organization and features, and provide feedback on things you think are missing or could be improved;

+ Review the content to see if it gets the right message across about what we're trying to achieve, and let me know if there's anything that concerns you or doesn't make sense.

The guild site (and the Fight Club idea) is still in beta, so now is your chance to influence our direction for the better.

Thanks in advance!

All: I've got a first draft of our site up and running, and am interested in your feedback. Head to the following URL:

https://sites.google.com/site/testsite10301/home

and take a look around. A couple of things to consider while reviewing:

+ I've used "Unusual Suspects" as a placeholder for whatever we ultimately determine our guild name to be;

+ Review the structure, organization and features, and provide feedback on things you think are missing or could be improved;

+ Review the content to see if it gets the right message across about what we're trying to achieve, and let me know if there's anything that concerns you or doesn't make sense.

The guild site (and the Fight Club idea) is still in beta, so now is your chance to influence our direction for the better.

Thanks in advance!

Had to laugh when I saw it, as it's painfully obvious that it's a really good thing *you* were developing the website, instead of me. In other words, I think it looks great. Like the name, too.

A few thoughts:

• Did we want to make this a guild or just a loose conglomeration of players who want to get together and do PvP? If we do the former, I can see that helping to keep things organized, but otoh, we risk alienating players who don't want to leave their current guild.
  • I'd like to put some emphasis on clarifying that we're inviting both Imperial and Republic players, so we make the point more obvious that we're not looking to try and dominate the server, but rather provide PvP matches within the group.
  • Do we want to exclude PvE players who do PvP in their free time?

I have to say, the website looks way better than what I imagined it would look. Amazing work! That picture is from Alderaan, isn't it?

Anyway, I also have a couple of questions/comments/suggestions:

- The website seems to require you to log in in order to use i.e. the forums, but there seem to be no explanation on how you are supposed to do that/create an account. Or maybe I just don't understand how the thing works.

- As Georgemattson mentioned, I think we should try to be a little more than a guild. We could certainly have a guild in both imp and pub side of Pot5, but imo we should also accept players who are interested in our goals but don't want to leave their guild.

- Slightly related, if we do make a guild, we could have some sort of "players/characters who are not in the guild"-list (maybe to the forums or somewhere only accepted members can see?), where we could have a list of a. Players on Pot5 who don't wish to leave their guild to join our guild and b. characters (owned by a member) in another servers. (In case of people like me, who don't want to completely abandon their original server). The latter imo would be a nice start in slowly growing to another servers, too - bunch of players have toons on Pot5 and server x both means that server x also has a nice community of us.

- We could also have 2 different membership request forms. One for people who want to join the guild (so we can /ginv them) and one for people who want to join our group but don't want to join the guild.

- Some clarification on how to sign up more than 1 character would be nice. Are you supposed to get one character invited and afterwards ask for an invitation for your alts too, or should you fill a form for every one of your alts? Is the number of alts limited? (I'm really hoping you're permitted to have alts...)

- The Membership Request Form asks things like "Weekday Availability", "Weekend Availability *" and "PvP Committment *". Are we excluding people based on this, or is it just informative? Are we going to turn down people who i.e. are only able to play on the weekends (so they can't play many hours) or only play 6 AM EST?

- Imo "PvP is something you do to kill the time while waiting for your PvE dailies to reset." isn't a good disqualification reason. If you play pvp every day for 2 hours while waiting your PVE dailies to reset and are interested in getting better at it, you could still be an asset for the group (even though your "pvp time" would be highly scheduled, unless you're willing to make exceptions here and there). Maybe change that to "You are not interested in getting better at pvp" or "You're not doing much pvp at all"?

- This is probably just an opinion, but reading these Membership Info and Membership Request Form -things sometimes makes me feel like we'd be a pvp version of hardcore raid guilds: "Be here on time x at Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays or you're out of the guild!". But it might be just me.

Had a look at the webpage - it looked great !!

Was thinking;

- If we're a guild, we could have associates aka member of another Guild but a part of the movement.

- If we're looking for the pvp community to grow and send of a positive vibe about pvp, think inclusive rather then exclusive as long as they meet the 'non-bullying' criteria - to learn pvp together should be a keyword here

- eventually every one will hit 55, the option to play ranked or unranked wz should be a choice and not a criteria

Name suggestions, just for the hell of it;

*Hired Guns'

*Alliance of free fighters'

*The Red and Blue Syndicate(or Alliance)'

*The Red and Blue'

*Wo'saarai' (Sith Language - one truth)

*Unu vero'ec (Old corellian - one truth)

Edited by t-darko

*Hired Guns'

*The Red and Blue'

Bolded my favourites. ^^ Though, if "The Red and Blue something" feels too long, we could always be "Purple something". Mix of red and blue.

I also like Unusual Suspects, but I have some trouble getting over the facts that there already is/was a guild with that name in Red Eclipse. But we probably can't come up with so original name that none of the servers would have a guild with the same name.

Edited by Seireeni

(a)Did we want to make this a guild or just a loose conglomeration of players who want to get together and do PvP? If we do the former, I can see that helping to keep things organized, but otoh, we risk alienating players who don't want to leave their current guild.

(b)I'd like to put some emphasis on clarifying that we're inviting both Imperial and Republic players, so we make the point more obvious that we're not looking to try and dominate the server, but rather provide PvP matches within the group.

©Do we want to exclude PvE players who do PvP in their free time?

Good feedback, sir! Some thoughts:

(a) I'm going to suggest that we want both. I think we launch Pub & Imp guilds on Pot5 under our brand, and invite people to join as full members. In addition, we have a 'partner' status for people who are happy with their own guild and just want to participate with in PvP events or in our PvP league. Or, if they're on other servers and just want to keep tabs on what we're doing. If/when we do expand to other servers, they'll be able to help us lay the groundwork. I can make some changes to structure and content to reflect that both options are available.

(b) Absolutely. While I like my current guild, there definitely is an emphasis on Republic-side. It needs to be clear that this is an integrated "guild", and we should have strong leaders on both sides.

© I might have overstated our preference against PvE-focused players on the Membership Info page. What I was trying to get across is that we're not looking for participants with a passing interest in PvP--e.g., you'e only doing dailies to farm comms. I'll reword this as well.

I have to say, the website looks way better than what I imagined it would look. Amazing work! That picture is from Alderaan, isn't it?

Anyway, I also have a couple of questions/comments/suggestions:

- The website seems to require you to log in in order to use i.e. the forums, but there seem to be no explanation on how you are supposed to do that/create an account. Or maybe I just don't understand how the thing works.

DM RESPONSE: Good point. Members (be they guildies or partners) would receive instructions on creating a forum account once they had been approved for membership.

- As Georgemattson mentioned, I think we should try to be a little more than a guild. We could certainly have a guild in both imp and pub side of Pot5, but imo we should also accept players who are interested in our goals but don't want to leave their guild.

DM RESPONSE: Agreed. See my response to georgemattson (above). I'll work on the content to reflect this.

- Slightly related, if we do make a guild, we could have some sort of "players/characters who are not in the guild"-list (maybe to the forums or somewhere only accepted members can see?), where we could have a list of a. Players on Pot5 who don't wish to leave their guild to join our guild and b. characters (owned by a member) in another servers. (In case of people like me, who don't want to completely abandon their original server). The latter imo would be a nice start in slowly growing to another servers, too - bunch of players have toons on Pot5 and server x both means that server x also has a nice community of us.

DM RESPONSE: Great minds think alike. I think we have a single membership list with multiple classifications for guildies, and a "partner/partisan" classification for players who like their existing guild / server.

- We could also have 2 different membership request forms. One for people who want to join the guild (so we can /ginv them) and one for people who want to join our group but don't want to join the guild.

DM RESPONSE: We can manage it as as single form with some conditional questions. I'll update.

- Some clarification on how to sign up more than 1 character would be nice. Are you supposed to get one character invited and afterwards ask for an invitation for your alts too, or should you fill a form for every one of your alts? Is the number of alts limited? (I'm really hoping you're permitted to have alts...)

DM RESPONSE: Good feedback. Yes, definitely we want to include alts. Let me put some thought into how we streamline the process of requesting membership for multiple toons at once.

- The Membership Request Form asks things like "Weekday Availability", "Weekend Availability *" and "PvP Committment *". Are we excluding people based on this, or is it just informative? Are we going to turn down people who i.e. are only able to play on the weekends (so they can't play many hours) or only play 6 AM EST?

DM RESPONSE: Oh no...I hope it doesn't read that way. The whole point of collecting that information is to be able to start offering some value by allowing people to coordinate their play schedules with others in the guild. I know I've got some odd hours (I try to squeeze in some time before work, or at lunch), and it would be helpful to know who might have a similar schedule.

- Imo "PvP is something you do to kill the time while waiting for your PvE dailies to reset." isn't a good disqualification reason. If you play pvp every day for 2 hours while waiting your PVE dailies to reset and are interested in getting better at it, you could still be an asset for the group (even though your "pvp time" would be highly scheduled, unless you're willing to make exceptions here and there). Maybe change that to "You are not interested in getting better at pvp" or "You're not doing much pvp at all"?

DM RESPONSE: see my response to georgemattson above. Definitely this needs some editorial.

- This is probably just an opinion, but reading these Membership Info and Membership Request Form -things sometimes makes me feel like we'd be a pvp version of hardcore raid guilds: "Be here on time x at Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays or you're out of the guild!". But it might be just me.

DM RESPONSE: Again, I hope not. I do think we have the opportunity to schedule interesting events (regular WZ play and special planet-based events), and that will definitely be attractive to some people. However, my hope is that we're creating opportunities for like-minded players to find each other, and self-arrange time to play. That's part of the draw of a league format--if you know your team has to play "Team X" in round robin, it's eight people arranging a time that's convenient for them, instead of us having a "League Night" every Thursday (or whatever).

Thanks for the awesome feedback! Really appreciate you taking your time to review in detail.

Edited by DainjaMouz

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Responses inline below.

Had a look at the webpage - it looked great !!

Was thinking;

- If we're a guild, we could have associates aka member of another Guild but a part of the movement.

DM RESPONSE: Agreed. I'll edit and extend the content so that it's clear that we're offering guild membership and "partner / partisan" membership.

- If we're looking for the pvp community to grow and send of a positive vibe about pvp, think inclusive rather then exclusive as long as they meet the 'non-bullying' criteria - to learn pvp together should be a keyword here

DM RESPONSE: I like the thinking. Let me see what I can do to tweak the language.

- eventually every one will hit 55, the option to play ranked or unranked wz should be a choice and not a criteria

DM RESPONSE: I'm guessing you're referring to the League Play guidelines. I agree that we should be all-inclusive when it comes to membership and participation. I struggled a lot with whether it made sense to extend the league concept to non-55s, or have it as a benefit exclusive to 55s. The challenge with extending it to lower levels is that players all level their characters at different rates. I would imagine that we'd frequently run into situations during the league season where a toon would level up and would no longer be eligible for play in the same bracket with his fellow teammates. Instead of trying to figure out a solution out of the gate for this issue, I thought it made more sense to pilot the idea with 55s. If it's crazy successful, then we can figure out how to make it work for players who are leveling.

Name suggestions, just for the hell of it;

*Hired Guns'

*The Red and Blue'

These names may or may not be in use somewhere, but they are ones that came to mind as I was building out the site:

Unusual Suspects

Fifth Column

Hidden Dragon

Your Guild Name Here

Fringe Faction

IRA (Imperial / Republican Alliance)

EDIT (11/25) A couple more lame ideas last night:

Warzone Remix

Shiny Happy People

Also, in a strange, STRANGE Fleet conversation the other night, I suggested the following as a guild name. Probably inappropriate, but totally funny in a Pythonesque kind of way:

Sith Panty Raid

If nothing jumps out as a "yes, definitely" within the next day or two, I'll create a snap poll to at least narrow the list of candidates.

Edited by DainjaMouz