Hands-on with SWTOR's Galactic Starfighter

The_Grand_Nagus

In flight(space or terrestrial) games theres really only 2 modes, Sim and Arcade but most games float in between the two modes. Most of these games that have released without stick or pad control options have crashed and burned as bad as a p2w game. Mouse and keyboards are for shooters, sticks and pads are for flying.

Those games are also all single player. When adding multiplayer space battles when they know their whole base is using keyboards and mice they should put everyone on equal ground with the same controls. This expansion isn't going to be like any of those older space sim/arcade games since it will be multiplayer so it shouldn't even be compared to them.

Edited by Thudoo

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now only people with certain programmable keyboards and gamepads can use them, great idea.

Depresses me. Someone else was saying to get a Razor Orbweaver. That means I have to buy that to enjoy the game.

Let me use my joystick.

Those games are also all single player. When adding multiplayer space battles when they know their whole base is using keyboards and mice they should put everyone on equal ground with the same controls. This expansion isn't going to be like any of those older space sim/arcade games since it will be multiplayer so it shouldn't even be compared to them.

Please look up Star Citizen and see that it's a multiplayer space game coming out.

Everyone should be able to use the controller device of their choice. You want to use mouse and keyboard that's great.

My carpel tunnel syndrome would like a joystick please.

Blunder is debatable. From the sounds of it, it was built around keyboard and mouse control. The fighters were meant to be controlled in that manner. I am assuming (and note ASSUMING) that the control scheme does not translate well to gamepad or joystick. They would probably have to write an entirely new input scheme to support gamepads and flightsticks and that probably didn't make sense in the technical and gameplay departments.

We will see.

Were the NDA's lifted?

Please look up Star Citizen and see that it's a multiplayer space game coming out.

Everyone should be able to use the controller device of their choice. You want to use mouse and keyboard that's great.

My carpel tunnel syndrome would like a joystick please.

This is not a space sim mmo like Star Citizen. Galactic Starfighter is a small minigame added to a traditional ground based mmo.

They are not the same target audience.

Edited by Thudoo

coming out.

Star Citizen is still in development and doesn't even have a set release date yet, just an estimate. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, and all that jazz.

I want me my Star Citizen.

I love flight sims and space sims. I've been playing them since LucasArts released Battle of Britain. I have ALWAYS used a joystick. No joystick, I don't play.

When Galactic Starfighters was announced, I was really excited. I reactivated my SWTOR account so that I could play. That feeling rapidly deflated when I found out that there will be no joystick support.

I know that I am a minority, and that judging by the decisions of BioWare, my tastes are not as important to them as all those who would gladly fly with a keyboard and mouse. So they shouldn't miss my money much either.

I will stay long enough to try it, but I can't imagine that I will stay. Maybe when (if ever) they decide to support a joystick, I will be back.

I had such high hopes for this.

This is not a space sim mmo like Star Citizen. Galactic Starfighter is a small minigame added to a traditional ground based mmo.

They are not the same target audience.

Limiting your target audience is a good way to lose money. And besides, this is Star Wars, GS is flying in space. The audience that really wants those two things together wants to use the controls they prefer.

When Galactic Starfighters was announced, I was really excited. I reactivated my SWTOR account so that I could play. That feeling rapidly deflated when I found out that there will be no joystick support.

I know that I am a minority, and that judging by the decisions of BioWare, my tastes are not as important to them as all those who would gladly fly with a keyboard and mouse. So they shouldn't miss my money much either.

You may be the minority if youre only counting people who have never played free flight games, if youre looking at the people who do play those games you are far from the minority. If theres one thing people who like those games dislike the most in a flight game, its the lack of joystick support.

I will hold judgement until I actually give it a shot, but from what I'm hearing from folks that actually participated in the beta there are some concerns, and one of the vocal concerns was no joystick support. It seems folks are talking about that around the net as well.

I'm not sure if this will blunt it's potential. It was already blunted by the lack of on foot or capital ship combat, but I think having such a expansive upgrade system makes up for that a bit...and also feedback on play environments is fantastic. So some pros, some cons.

But lack of joystick support and a lack of first person or cockpit view seems to be a big complaint, even with folks that were actually in beta.

I'm still stoked that this could have wide appeal, not appeal to traditional PVP players (a good sign IMO) and has some interesting customization and ship options...plus a separate leveling system and separate que.

So, some good, some bad. Ill have to check it out this weekend and make up my own mind like I expect most folks will do.

I will hold judgement until I actually give it a shot, but from what I'm hearing from folks that actually participated in the beta there are some concerns, and one of the vocal concerns was no joystick support. It seems folks are talking about that around the net as well.

I'm not sure if this will blunt it's potential. It was already blunted by the lack of on foot or capital ship combat, but I think having such a expansive upgrade system makes up for that a bit...and also feedback on play environments is fantastic. So some pros, some cons.

But lack of joystick support and a lack of first person or cockpit view seems to be a big complaint, even with folks that were actually in beta.

I'm still stoked that this could have wide appeal, not appeal to traditional PVP players (a good sign IMO) and has some interesting customization and ship options...plus a separate leveling system and separate que.

So, some good, some bad. Ill have to check it out this weekend and make up my own mind like I expect most folks will do.

The problem is this ... SWTOR isn't a flight sim. It's a mouse+keyboard centric MMORPG that is adding a 3d Space combat sim expansion that has to conform to the core game's UID configuration. At least initially.

Not being configured for mouse axis joystick compatibility right out of the gate may well blunt its potential. The question is ... will it turn off enough of the player base to crash & burn? I'm thinking, not only no ... but hell no. It's more in your face intense than Combat Flight Simulator in its heyday and damn near Battlefront's equal in twitch-quick space dogfighting combat. Albeit compartmentalized into warzones. I think the expansion's playability itself will rise above the joystick-only crowd because it's so damn fun to play. At least if it plays like it did in beta when it wasn't being overload stressed.

What I can offer is this ... ground PvP could lose a majority of its player base who just want high speed low drag Star Wars space dogfighting and don't care about the user interface device.

To reinforce your lead, I hope everyone who is curious or concerned takes the time to get involved with the PTS. You are absolutely correct. The only way to know is to do. From my perspective, it's friggin' addicting.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Biofails bad design team show up again.

It makes sense to offer controller support. However, with little beta testing (from a selected few) we all know how that turns out in the end.

The faults, if any, will no doubt appear once the expansion goes live and if there's enough players to take part.

Limiting your target audience is a good way to lose money. And besides, this is Star Wars, GS is flying in space. The audience that really wants those two things together wants to use the controls they prefer.

No, the audience that's on a level they want joystick support cockpit flightsim game play won't give GS a second thought.

BW lining their GS TOR mini game to compete in the same bracket as Star citizen or X Rebirth, that would be a waste of money. Cos once the people looking for a in depth space sim game move to the space sim specialized games GS is gonna be a ghost town since it's inaccessible to the casuals doing the ground game due to the high complexity/hardware entry barrier.

It's arcade or bust, that's the cold hard fact. A side project for an everquest mmo can't hope to hold a candle to dedicated games that spend 25mil+ on the same gameplay mode. Whoever is massively disappointed and goes "look at SC BW" needs to wake up cos he's sleepwalking through life.

Once they add a couple more modes and ships they're already doing a more than a decent job of giving Star Conflict a proper run for their money. Which is more than any sane individual could ever have expected from a gameplay mode tack-on in an MMO.

Edited by aeterno

You may be the minority if youre only counting people who have never played free flight games, if youre looking at the people who do play those games you are far from the minority. If theres one thing people who like those games dislike the most in a flight game, its the lack of joystick support.

Tell that to warthunder...

I was just looking for a little casual distraction kind of space combat that doesn't have me stuck to rails.

This sounds way too complex for me, as it requires an enormous amount of time, dedication and perhaps even money to stay competitive and keep having fun. That's probably not possible when you're also progress raiding. I think you'll soon be pretty much one-shotted by players who focus on GS, if you're just playing it as a distraction every now and then.

Less would have been more here, as far as I'm concerned...

Some people could win the lottery and then whine about how they didn't win enough.

Nails the people complaining about no joystick. HAVE you people grasped the depth of that thing? Its Keyboard controlled, yeah so what it is a full fledged "World of Warplanes" - Style Space Combat feature and it is done in its basics. Now they can just throw more Content at us, maybe even new gamemodes. Joystick or Gamepad, I don´t even have one.

I am happy, that I am getting a great Space Combat Addon, with lots of Timesink Capabbilities for free. Good Work on that Bioware. Just don´t get ****ed up by those Haters finding always something to complain. Even have a handful of friends who just bought the Game for that Space Combat;)

I was just looking for a little casual distraction kind of space combat that doesn't have me stuck to rails.

This sounds way too complex for me, as it requires an enormous amount of time, dedication and perhaps even money to stay competitive and keep having fun. That's probably not possible when you're also progress raiding. I think you'll soon be pretty much one-shotted by players who focus on GS, if you're just playing it as a distraction every now and then.

Less would have been more here, as far as I'm concerned...

Wha the heck are you talking about? If anything it's an ultra casual space combat game that can played with a mouse and keyboard. They don't even expect you to have a game pad or flight stick. Nothing in this game is complicated. You pick a ship. You fly it and can pick from a few a abilities when in combat. It is pick up and play and it's not complicated at all.

The problem is that you are looking at walls of information without the correct perspective. If someone just dumps all the data on you of course it feels more complicated than it is. If anything this will probably be the most pick up and play anything is in the entire game.

Biofails bad design team show up again.

It makes sense to offer controller support. However, with little beta testing (from a selected few) we all know how that turns out in the end.

The faults, if any, will no doubt appear once the expansion goes live and if there's enough players to take part.

Just quoting this now so when the queues are popping left and right I can come back and show you how wrong you are.

This is going to be a very busy expansion for swtor.

Don't like it? Don't play it.

Well, given everything that I have seen, I wasn't part of the beta, xpadder will work for those of you that must have a gamepad or Joystick.

In fact, I think a gamepad will be the preferred method of play for GS fans as you will be able to set up the joysticks to navigate and aim respectively and simultaneously. I'm very confident it will work because everything can be mapped back to keyboard/mouse bindings.

I'll be using a wired Xbox 360 controller.

Getting more and more excited about GS!