Arsenal merc is currently the worst pvp class

ralphieceaser

I cant believe i am saying this, but arsenal merc is UNDERPOWERED...

i cant believe i am saying this because i was here at launch and they were the deadliest class out there and now they are barely a threat...

They are forced to use cast abilities that dont really do great damage and are easily interrupted which makes you the easiest target to kill because as long as they are focusing down on you, you cant do any real damage to them.

The entire rotation of the arsenal merc is just repeating a few skills which make this class incredibly tedious and boring...

they need a serious buff yet there is no change for them in 2.5...

they are pretty much a sniper with less damage, less mobility, less defense, easier to interrupt and even easier to just force jumped on...

Edited by ralphieceaser

bhahahaha no...arsenal merc at 55 are awesome atm, hydrolic override! power sruge + elctro dart 2x tracer and heat seeker missiles + raild shot + electro net = one of the best opening burst's in game...apart from that their rotation can be fairly boring tho

Arsenal needs two things only:

1. In PvE, they need better ammo management because their ammo is too reliant on Barrage/CoF procs. With the free rail shot gone, sustained ammo management was seriously screwed over. Now it's a shoestring system that is only very precariously manageable and too much of it is up to RNG and out of the players' hands.

2. In PvP, they need some form of short-term interrupt protection becuase one melee opponent can completely shut down an Arsenal (or Bodyguard for that matter) merc. Left unchecked, the Arsenal merc can do beastly damage, but the problem is that experienced teams will never give them the chance since it's so easy to control an Arsenal merc, due to their heavy reliance on casted Tracer Missles and channeled Unloads. Add to this their virtual lack of mobility and low survivability, most melee consider Arsenal mercs quick, free kills, something that should probably change.

So, Arsenal needs quite a few things, but one thing Arsenal does NOT need is more straight-up damage. The spec desperately needs a more streamlined resource system and more flowing rotation, including a numerical display for Commandos and interrupt protection in PvP. It would also greatly benefit from some team utility, better mobility or better survavibility (because as it stands heavy armor means nothing for DPS classes). But the damage does NOT need to change, it is already high enough, they just need to make it more reliable.

1. In PvE, they need better ammo management because their ammo is too reliant on Barrage/CoF procs. With the free rail shot gone, sustained ammo management was seriously screwed over. Now it's a shoestring system that is only very precariously manageable and too much of it is up to RNG and out of the players' hands.

2. In PvP, they need some form of short-term interrupt protection becuase one melee opponent can completely shut down an Arsenal (or Bodyguard for that matter) merc. Left unchecked, the Arsenal merc can do beastly damage, but the problem is that experienced teams will never give them the chance since it's so easy to control an Arsenal merc, due to their heavy reliance on casted Tracer Missles and channeled Unloads. Add to this their virtual lack of mobility and low survivability, most melee consider Arsenal mercs quick, free kills, something that should probably change.

So, Arsenal needs quite a few things, but one thing Arsenal does NOT need is more straight-up damage. The spec desperately needs a more streamlined resource system and more flowing rotation, including a numerical display for Commandos and interrupt protection in PvP. It would also greatly benefit from some team utility, better mobility or better survavibility (because as it stands heavy armor means nothing for DPS classes). But the damage does NOT need to change, it is already high enough, they just need to make it more reliable.

Well said. I agree with everything there.

Yeah as an Arsenal Merc myself, I feel that my outright damage if left alone is fine - however if I am up against anyone that has any sort of clue how to combat a Merc we can be shut down far to easily.

pretty much this, the thing is even worst in arean with few people. You will be easily shut down and be useless to the team

1. In PvE, they need better ammo management because their ammo is too reliant on Barrage/CoF procs.

2. In PvP, they need some form of short-term interrupt protection becuase one melee opponent can completely shut down an Arsenal (or Bodyguard for that matter) merc. Left unchecked, the Arsenal merc can do beastly damage, but the problem is that experienced teams will never give them the chance since it's so easy to control an Arsenal merc, due to their heavy reliance on casted Tracer Missles and channeled Unloads.

Freaking 100% spot on!!!!

It seems to me that the sniper was the only turret class that they designed to be an effective turret class. Mercs are just as immobile as snipers are during their rotation and yet snipers can't be interrupted or leapt to, but Mercs can. Makes no sense to me.

Agreed. Casts are an issue with the core game design that needs to be addressed. The instant ability groups destroy casting classes in PvP.

I LOVE seeing an arsenal Merc in PvP...I can knock back, interrupt, cryo, and drop a mine on them while they attempt to cast. I know the frustration mounts while I continuously mess with their ability to do anything...if left to free cast, any class is fine...but in PvP, casting is a huge disadvantage.

• 3 months later...

The problem with mercenaries has only continued to become more glaring.

I've had people tell me "just hit override and kite" ... great suggestion vs 1 person: this does not work in a ranked arena when 4 people focus you down first.

Over ride lasts for a grand total of 6 seconds; it has a cooldown of 30 seconds. Thats 24 seconds where you cant "just hit override and kite"

It also means: while I'm kiting, I'm doing virtually no damage (arsenal rotation is all based on being a turret) . Than while I'm not kiting: I'm just dead anyway from the stream of interrupts that stop me from doing anything useful.

Where exactly does an arsenal merc sit in pvp standings? Don't take my word for it; do yourself a favor and go actually look at the leaderboards: there are 7 classes that currently have 100s of rating 1500+ players. There is only 1 class with less than 50 1500+ rating players: mercenary

I'm at a point now on my server that people are actively hating mercenarys, you show up in a ranked warzone as a merc and your team will just mock you relentlessly for picking a terrible pvp class (before the match even starts)

A few ignorant people think mercs are ok based on reading the merc skills; and while I would agree that it all sounds good on paper; it all falls apart when you start doing the math.

A knockback? doesnt stop them from jumping right back on you.

A stun? we only have 1 useful one, the other takes too long to cast and breaks if you hit them again

A snare? um, its a snare that also requires us to be rooted, we cant move for its entire duration; doesnt stop them from jumping back on you and of course does nothing against the other 3 people beating on you

Here's the thing: the classes we compare to (sniper, sorc) aside from the knockback they have these same tools. They also get: more tools. A kiting sorc has the same stun, stun breaker and so on. They even have a similar combat rotation if they go lightning (look closely at how similar lightning functions to arsenal). But than sorcs also have a speed boost to escape. Arsenal just gets to stand there and die.

Sniper? Do I even need to explain this one?

Arsenal probably doesn't need more damage; but as potentially one of the highest damage classes, they currently have the fewest escape options.

And if you dont believe me, just look at the leaderboards. The merc population isnt small compared to other classes, but the percentage of them capable of doing moderately ok in pvp isnt just lower than the rest of the classes, its drastically lower by a factor of 10

I cant believe i am saying this, but arsenal merc is UNDERPOWERED...

i cant believe i am saying this because i was here at launch and they were the deadliest class out there and now they are barely a threat...

They are forced to use cast abilities that dont really do great damage and are easily interrupted which makes you the easiest target to kill because as long as they are focusing down on you, you cant do any real damage to them.

The entire rotation of the arsenal merc is just repeating a few skills which make this class incredibly tedious and boring...

they need a serious buff yet there is no change for them in 2.5...

they are pretty much a sniper with less damage, less mobility, less defense, easier to interrupt and even easier to just force jumped on...

If you played an Arsenal Merc at launch through at least 1.2 you'd know that they used to be the laughing stock of pvp. The one button wonder was easily shut down by any class with an interrupt. I switched from Arsenal to Pyro at Valor 70 when 1.2 hit and never looked back.

Arsenal Mercs in PvP were meant to be glass cannons.

Mercs only real issue is a glaring one and it's the reliance on casted abilities, this has more to do with arsenal than pyro as pyro I feel is the preferred spec atm simply due to how many instants it has. The damage is fine and the survivability is fine. Also I think that everyone would agree that balance shadows and madness sins are the worst spec in the game. Edited by cycao

bhahahaha no...arsenal merc at 55 are awesome atm, hydrolic override! power sruge + elctro dart 2x tracer and heat seeker missiles + raild shot + electro net = one of the best opening burst's in game...apart from that their rotation can be fairly boring tho

lol i realize this is an old necro thread but after switching to Pyro I can tell you that Arsenal is a joke. The opening burst of Pyro blows Arsenal out of the water and I added at least 300 dps to my Target Dummy parse immediately after switching.

lol i realize this is an old necro thread but after switching to Pyro I can tell you that Arsenal is a joke. The opening burst of Pyro blows Arsenal out of the water and I added at least 300 dps to my Target Dummy parse immediately after switching.

3 months isn't that old considering nothing has changed damage wise to either specs.

Is arsenal worst dps spec in PvP? No, not even close. There are many dps specs that are much worse like annihilation, madness sin, both ops dps specs, lightning sorc. In WZs it can be used competitively (and was used frequently in rated 8v8) due to burst and survivability. It has serious problem in arenas, due to interrupts. It also performs poorly with no cover, primary competent melee allies. It needs a buff to protect it from interruption and make unload proc more consistent, but it is not terrible, and damage and survivability are spot on.

Arsenal has the deadliest burst if left to free fire. Pyro is no where close. Every thing in arsenal has 55% armor penetration (RS and unload 85%) and 30% surge bonus. Pyro parses higher in PvE, but that does not mean it has better burst.

Edited by Ottoattack

Is arsenal worst dps spec in PvP? No, not even close. There are many dps specs that are much worse like annihilation, madness sin, both ops dps specs, lightning sorc.

This really made me LOL, Yes, with Anni the problem is that dots can be cleansed... but I still pull a lot of DPS on mine the same goes for my Lightening Sorc, I'm normally among the top DPS for WZ's (Sorc), it really is how you play the classes

As for the OP, I do well on my Merc and they tend to be right b*stards if played right in WZ's, if anything they're TOO good

Edited by dacentabaal

Is arsenal worst dps spec in PvP? No, not even close. There are many dps specs that are much worse like annihilation, madness sin, both ops dps specs, lightning sorc. In WZs it can be used competitively (and was used frequently in rated 8v8) due to burst and survivability. It has serious problem in arenas, due to interrupts. It also performs poorly with no cover, primary competent melee allies. It needs a buff to protect it from interruption and make unload proc more consistent, but it is not terrible, and damage and survivability are spot on.

Arsenal has the deadliest burst if left to free fire. Pyro is no where close. Every thing in arsenal has 55% armor penetration (RS and unload 85%) and 30% surge bonus. Pyro parses higher in PvE, but that does not mean it has better burst.

My parses say otherwise. I start off extremely high in Pyro. Substantially higher than Arsenal.

Edited by Kourage

The problem with mercenaries has only continued to become more glaring.

I've had people tell me "just hit override and kite" ... great suggestion vs 1 person: this does not work in a ranked arena when 4 people focus you down first.

Over ride lasts for a grand total of 6 seconds; it has a cooldown of 30 seconds. Thats 24 seconds where you cant "just hit override and kite"

It also means: while I'm kiting, I'm doing virtually no damage (arsenal rotation is all based on being a turret) . Than while I'm not kiting: I'm just dead anyway from the stream of interrupts that stop me from doing anything useful.

Where exactly does an arsenal merc sit in pvp standings? Don't take my word for it; do yourself a favor and go actually look at the leaderboards: there are 7 classes that currently have 100s of rating 1500+ players. There is only 1 class with less than 50 1500+ rating players: mercenary

I'm at a point now on my server that people are actively hating mercenarys, you show up in a ranked warzone as a merc and your team will just mock you relentlessly for picking a terrible pvp class (before the match even starts)

A few ignorant people think mercs are ok based on reading the merc skills; and while I would agree that it all sounds good on paper; it all falls apart when you start doing the math.

A knockback? doesnt stop them from jumping right back on you.

A stun? we only have 1 useful one, the other takes too long to cast and breaks if you hit them again

A snare? um, its a snare that also requires us to be rooted, we cant move for its entire duration; doesnt stop them from jumping back on you and of course does nothing against the other 3 people beating on you

Here's the thing: the classes we compare to (sniper, sorc) aside from the knockback they have these same tools. They also get: more tools. A kiting sorc has the same stun, stun breaker and so on. They even have a similar combat rotation if they go lightning (look closely at how similar lightning functions to arsenal). But than sorcs also have a speed boost to escape. Arsenal just gets to stand there and die.

Sniper? Do I even need to explain this one?

Arsenal probably doesn't need more damage; but as potentially one of the highest damage classes, they currently have the fewest escape options.

And if you dont believe me, just look at the leaderboards. The merc population isnt small compared to other classes, but the percentage of them capable of doing moderately ok in pvp isnt just lower than the rest of the classes, its drastically lower by a factor of 10

That's the thing, you can't argue facts unless you're a high strong try hard teenager who's initial reaction to everything is, "l2play". Mercs damage wise are perfectly fine, in some ways... Most every single ability must be strung in with a multitude of other abilities in order to dish out the damage that a sniper can sum up in 2. On paper it seems simple enough, but field tested.... Nah. Guess again know it all. I don't see why tracer missile doesn't add a snare to someone. I don't see why unload doesn't root like the marauder / sentinel - ravage ability. I don't see why our knock back doesn't have a much shorter cool down and why out only hopes at getting away are based solely within a 10 second duration with a 20 second "just f'ing kill me already gap". The class is not fine, it hasn't been fine since 1.2. And anyone who legitimately believes that it is fine you best include a link to your rating. Otherwise, you haven't a single clue as to what you're talking about.

I agree complete with this post.