Promotions: Jorgen or Dorne?

SevTrando

Well, the idea that I run around with Dorne more often, so promote Jorgen over her, because you don't want both the XO and CO running around out in the field together didn't work for me, when the story makes it out to be, you're out running around with all of them, even if it's not seen.

Dorne made some good points and Jorgen comes off a bit bad. He makes some good points but with some bad wording.

I find they're both good choices for different reasons.

Went with Dorne. Experience with Imperials. By the book when my Trooper...isn't. >_> Even if she follows orders (*obtains DS points for following orders*) she's doing it her way. Not to mention, she's terrible with higher ups.

And in the end, I imagine her in a scene with Jorgen...

Jorgen: You promote her over me?!

Trooper: That is right, but I held something back. I see some real genius in your command style, Jorgen, but I can't say that in there. I was afraid that everyone in the tax trailer would see right through me, and I just don't want anyone to know that I've fallen for you.

She'll make it up to him with her Twi'lek ways ^_^

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think both of them have officer potential and would be different kinds of officers. It was a close choice for me but I ended up picking Jorgan. Not counting metagame reasons, I have several personal ones:

1. Jorgan got the blame for the mess that happened on Ord Mantell and helped minimize the damage done. I get a promotion for doing the same thing while Jorgan was pretty much the 'fall guy' and was demoted. Even though he got transferred to Havoc Squad so it ended up being not nearly so bad for him, I felt I should at least help him get back to where he started in rank at least.

2. He is more experienced than Elara, especially as an officer. I pretty go with the assumption that Elara will be 3rd in command of havoc should Jorgan and I be indisposed and being 3rd in command will get her more command experience while not hampering her in her chief medical officer duties.

3. My vanguard is more of a 'good' guy and tends to follow the rules most of the time. I picked the guy that is pretty much my opposite to be second in command so I would have other opinions voiced on matters.

4. I feel as the chief medical officer Elara shouldn't need to be additional duties of being the second in command which does have a lot of work to do last I heard even if she can handle it.

I think both of them have officer potential and would be different kinds of officers. It was a close choice for me but I ended up picking Jorgan. Not counting metagame reasons, I have several personal ones:

1. Jorgan got the blame for the mess that happened on Ord Mantell and helped minimize the damage done. I get a promotion for doing the same thing while Jorgan was pretty much the 'fall guy' and was demoted. Even though he got transferred to Havoc Squad so it ended up being not nearly so bad for him, I felt I should at least help him get back to where he started in rank at least.

2. He is more experienced than Elara, especially as an officer. I pretty go with the assumption that Elara will be 3rd in command of havoc should Jorgan and I be indisposed and being 3rd in command will get her more command experience while not hampering her in her chief medical officer duties.

3. My vanguard is more of a 'good' guy and tends to follow the rules most of the time. I picked the guy that is pretty much my opposite to be second in command so I would have other opinions voiced on matters.

4. I feel as the chief medical officer Elara shouldn't need to be additional duties of being the second in command which does have a lot of work to do last I heard even if she can handle it.

The being your opposite might be one of the best reasons to promote one over the other. A second in command who will give you the other view you're missing. If you're a by the books type, you don't need the second in command who will tell you what you already know, and if your a follow your emotions type, you need that voice to remind you that's not always the best call.

Being the cheif medical officer in charge of looking after four others, I'm not sure if that really keeps you that busy.

• 10 months later...
I haven't gotten to this part yet but I intend to promote Jorgan. I just feel really bad how the actions of Tavus lost him his officer's position and put him under the command of someone he had recently been ordering around. Not to mention that he's experienced, loyal, and hates imps! :p

Many posts in this thread are saying basically the same thing, that Jorgan "deserves" the promotion to offset his earlier demotion, or because he once outranked the PC, or because he's been in the service longer than Dorne.

In my opinion, none of those facts matter. The promotion isn't a reward for hard work or good service, nor is it a present to be given to the one you like better or are trying to romance. It's a job, a vitally important job, and you assign it to the person who will perform better at that job.

Dorne is clearly more professional, and she isn't ruled by her ego or by personal vendettas. She does what she thinks is best for the squad, not what promotes her personal agenda. She may do things too much "by the book" --- certainly some people think so --- but she also knows how to USE the rules to get what she wants without simply breaking them. That's a skill Jorgan lacks.

If you really think Jorgan makes the better CO, then promote him. But if you give it to him because he "deserves" it, then I think you're making a mistake.

Well, the idea that I run around with Dorne more often, so promote Jorgen over her, because you don't want both the XO and CO running around out in the field together didn't work for me, when the story makes it out to be, you're out running around with all of them, even if it's not seen.

Dorne made some good points and Jorgen comes off a bit bad. He makes some good points but with some bad wording.

I find they're both good choices for different reasons.

Went with Dorne. Experience with Imperials. By the book when my Trooper...isn't. >_> Even if she follows orders (*obtains DS points for following orders*) she's doing it her way. Not to mention, she's terrible with higher ups.

And in the end, I imagine her in a scene with Jorgen...

Jorgen: You promote her over me?!

Trooper: That is right, but I held something back. I see some real genius in your command style, Jorgen, but I can't say that in there. I was afraid that everyone in the tax trailer would see right through me, and I just don't want anyone to know that I've fallen for you.

She'll make it up to him with her Twi'lek ways ^_^

Excellent Top Gun reference.

I promoted Jorgan. Just made sense for reasons already given ITT, plus I have never used Dorn being a healer myself. I haven't even used the tanking robot because Jorgan can tank well enough with my heals. Plus I got a nice affection bonus out of the deal

For gameplay i use Jorgan...even if i play as a dps. But if i were to use RP reasons i would promote Dorne over him. Jorgan has a poor attitude, especially towards subordinates. The only thing i didnt like about Dornes dialogue i think some of your interactions with her are lightside but she basically wants you to be judge, jury and executioner when you capture a imperial prisoner.

• 2 weeks later...
Jorgan. Whilst he was a major a-hole in the start (I let him die a few times just for self satisfaction), I couldn't stand Dorne. M1 4X has more of a personality than she does.

If I could I would have promoted M1-4X. I am a Commando healer and I use him a ton, he is great.

Dorne, if only due to the reason that Jorgen is too much of a.... <insert euphemism for a cat here>. I only keep Jorgen around as a scape goat... Maybe if he was a little nicer at the start, but well he was too smug and needs to be kept in his place....

• 2 weeks later...

I picked (or will pick) the one who most contrasts with me.

My vanguard is very by-the-book, always looks for the solution that harms the fewest people. Jorgan offsets that.

My recently rolled future commando is a lot rougher around the edges, and needs Dorne to balance that out.

In neither case is romance an issue.

Edited by EranofArcadia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
It's an old thread but I'm at a crossroads on who to promote. I want to promote Jorgen as I see him more qualified, but I'm also trying to romance Dorne. Does promotion lead to more interactions or cut-scenes with that specific character? Or is it window dressing with little impact on the story in the long run?

It's an old thread but I'm at a crossroads on who to promote. I want to promote Jorgen as I see him more qualified, but I'm also trying to romance Dorne. Does promotion lead to more interactions or cut-scenes with that specific character? Or is it window dressing with little impact on the story in the long run?

It doesn't impact the story at all, so jsut pick the one you feel goes better. If it helps, Jorgan will be pissed at you bypassing him, while Dorne will remain more or less silent.

if u going to play kotfe ater the class missions u mite as well pick jorgen as he end up taking over havoc in that story arc

True, but not remotely relevant, as he says *nothing* about it.

This decision appears to exist just to stress out the player. As stated above, it has NO effect on the story.

Even though I use Dorne infinitely more, I always promote Jorgan because, unlike Star Trek, the XO does not usually go into battle with the commander while leaving the rest of the team behind.

Your XO's job is to manage the members of the team you're NOT taking with you into the field. Dorne goes into the field with me so managing the rest of the team as XO and getting wounded covering Dorne's retreat is basically Jorgan's job description.

I promoted Jorgan. For my green-out-of-the-academy Commando, it made sense.

She got promoted to be the CO of Havoc Squad simply because she was the last one. She had absolutely no idea what she was doing being promoted to the command rank and so she leaned a little heavily on Aric - who had been a CO - for advice. She was so green and new, the paint on her armor was still wet. But she also earned his respect quickly as well, which helped.

She was also played as the by-the-books-and-regs type of Trooper who really enjoyed breaking the rules (then pre-Voss happened and she reverted back to by-the-books-and-regs for most of the rest of Act Three until the very end when she snapped at her boss' boss), so the more emotionally driven officer counter balanced her very well.

Elara and my Commando get along really well, and Elara became her best friend, but Elara was pretty insecure and being harassed by people who really should have left things as regulations. If Dorne had been promoted, by Commando would have been concerned that the jerk would resume harassing Elara and accusing Havoc Squad of being defectors -again- by having an ex-Imperial in such a high position. For my Commando however, Elara is third in command. And very busy as the medic considering how often my character pulls a Shepard and gets shot at.

And Jorgan's absolutely adorable after you bash around that armor plating he wears around everyone to be abrasive. I mean, that proposal scene? Adorable! No matter what line path you take to say yes. "I had it all planned out and everything!"

• 2 weeks later...

I choose Dorne. I need someone who is competent and reliable to handle the missions. She is a perfectionist and methodical who could keep me in line. I need someone who could handle the behind the scenes thing, the paperwork and the team. I know that she have her loyalty to me and she reminds me of Miranda. She's the best choice for an XO of the team. Also, girls have to stick together.

Jorgan on the other hand. He does reminds me too much of Garrus. Arrogant, reckless, hot-headed and have trouble following orders and respecting his superior unless you show him that you're the alpha. He also think he is entitled to everything because he felt he was being victimized. He wanted to be my XO because he felt his promotion was overdue and he thought he deserve it. Too bad, Jorgan, its not about you you and youuuu. Suck it up. I'm saving you from assuming responsibilities and boring stuff. So do what you do best, in my ship's closet, calibrate the weapons like a good boy until you remember to call me "ma'am" or "sir".

Edited by revkashepard

• 3 months later...

It was a very difficult choice for me. Both Jorgan and Dorne have qualifications necessary for the position. When you compare the two of them to the Trooper character, they both have far more qualifications for command that he/she does.

Jorgan was an officer who was demoted as a sacrificial nerf. Beyond that, he has years of command experience in Republic Special Operations. He already has the sense necessary for command, regardless of how he treats the fresh meat on the team. As a trained sniper (now), he is used to being in an overwatch position and can make informed decisions for the squad away from the fog of war. It looked as if he was previously in an administrative and planning position while he was still an officer, which would be a bonus as the commander is always out on missions (someone needs to do the paperwork).

Dorne knows the Republic “book” as well as the Imperial “book” from memory. She passed all of the psychological and telepathic (Jedi) tests to prove her loyalty. She was a highly decorated Imperial soldier and began earning an equal number of Republic decorations. She knows the rules and regulations of both sides and can use them for the advantage of the team. As the team medic, she has the ear of the team as well as the trust (everyone trusts the medic and talks to them openly). Beyond that, she knows all the right paperwork to file for every occasion.

Jorgan is a hot-head, and sees only his personal feelings above the mission, as well as feeling the job should be his without question. Dorne is too stiff to go beyond the regulations (as the point you choose which to promote), and does not have the trust of other commands due to her Imperial heritage.

When I sat on NCO boards, I was faced with this exact choice. Do you go for the more experienced soldier who is a hot-head or the by-the-book soldier that peers find difficult to trust.

I got bored and went through all of the various youtube videos of the conversations you can have with both up until the promotion, to include character conversations. I listed out all of their various points, both positive and negative. At the end, I tallied up the scores and used Garza’s recommendation as a command bonus to Jorgan. Finally, I used their opinion as the personal statement to the board. Positive marks added one point, negative marks removed two points (negatives are always scrutinized more than positives), and Garza’s recommendation counted as five points.

In the end, I decided to promote Jorgan. He had ten more points in total than Dorne, but also had five more negative points. I know it is way more thought than most put into this, but I’ve enjoyed the Trooper character since long before the beta even began.