Promotions: Jorgen or Dorne?

SevTrando

The fun thing is, if you level up a Consular, Lt. Iresso mentions Jorgan in one of his conversations. He has a few choice words about Jorgan's particular style of command.

I have a few choice words about Iresso's style of command :p

I promoted Jorgan because really, even though he was a jerk, he did prove he has the abilities and qualifications. Dorne follows the book too much and, in her companion quests, she's internally insecure. Plus I figured, since Dorne is always with me anyway, she's not really going to need the ranking position. (And in a more practical sense, you loose only 1 point with her, whereas if you promote her, you lose a big chunk, I think over 100 points, with Jorgan.)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Promoted Dorne personally, for a variety of reasons. Mostly due to her being by-the-book, disciplined, open to the concept of mercy... you know, all those things my Trooper generally isn't. She's obviously qualified - they both are - but Jorgan's just too similar to how my Trooper went about her business. I wanted someone who'd actually take her to task and offer different points of view. More importantly, Jorgan had indicated in previous dialogues that he actually wasn't all that concerned about his rank anymore, that he was just generally proud to be in Havoc Squad and doing what he signed up to do: gunning down a whole lot of Imps.

And afterwards, when Jorgan was furiously confronting my character, accusing her of incompetance and not knowing command material when it's right in front of her, I realised what a good choice I'd made in promoting Dorne.

Edited by Bleeters

I promoted Elara the first time around and I fully plan on promoting her with this trooper as well. Even though I will probably never use her outside of quest conversations, she will get the nod. I've never liked Jorgan's attitude. Sure, he took the fall for something that wasn't his fault - but not only does he get placed in a top tier unit, the general that demoted him tries to get him back.

If the game offered another ranged DPS soldier and the chance for Jorgan to go elsewhere advance his career, I'd let him go in a heartbeat. Honestly, I don't want another officer. I want a young commando who wasn't demoted into my team to fill Jorgan's role. Make it happen, Bioware! Sergeant Jaxo, perhaps?? That's a trade I can get behind, she's certainly deserving.

With Elara, I felt like Garza and I were taking an unappreciated, underutilized talent and letting her develop under my wing. Dorne just ends up feeling like the better leadership partner, and it's a bonus that my XO was a decorated Imperial soldier.

• 4 weeks later...
I regret my decision to promote Dorne. I promoted her because I figured it was required for the romance option. However, knowing now that it is not, I really wish I would have promoted Jorgan instead. While it doesn't make a real difference, Jorgan got screwed, and he deserved the promotion. It's the ONLY regret I really have in my Trooper's story.

My Trooper wants an XO who can be dependable, and nothing is more dependable than what is the rigid, tested, proven policy. My Trooper wants an XO who can follow orders as well as give them, knowing how to lead their squad in combat, but also knowing how to follow directives from higher up the chain of command, instead of questioning judgements and 'doing his own thing' whenever he doesn't agree with a decision. My Trooper wants an XO who is capable enough to perform their own duties to the letter, but humble enough to realize that they do not have all the skills or information nessesary to make decisions above their ranking. My Trooper's XO should never, ever disobey an order from his Commanding Officer.

For all these reasons, my Trooper decided to promote Forex. However, when Forex was not presented as an option, my Trooper went with Dorne, because Jorgen is pretty much the exact opposite of what a good officer needs to be. He's a good soldier, but my Trooper didn't want to make decisions with the lives of his Squad based upon pity, and 'he got screwed' never changed the fact that Jorgen has always lacked the discipline to be good leadership material.

I promoted Jorgan. It didn't feel right that he got demoted to Sergeant.

Plus I felt sorry for the other members of Havoc. Working under Dorne? Ha! You better make sure you're following army regulations, or I'll tell Dorne on you!

I promoted Jorgan without hesitation because he is the most qualified and because I already knew that doing so does not ruin your chances of marrying Dorne. However, if the storyline linked the promotion to your chances of getting hitched I would've promoted Dorne :D Edited by Projawa

• 5 months later...

I'm at that point in the story right now.

This is what I've seen:

Dorne will cite regulation and verse...however she doesn't ALWAYS follow it if her personal sense of right or wrong comes into play. "Respectfully recommend you discharge your blaster in the base of his skull, sir." :) But only 2 years service is a pretty fast track to officer. Unless you take into account her prior service in the Empire, then she's just about due. And her record is apparently flawless. Along with her knowledge of Empire tactics, etc...which is exactly what Havoc needs.

Jorgan, pity party/scapegoat aside does have greater command experience. BUT he passed up his opportunity to reclaim an officer's position because in his own words, he'd rather be in Havoc Squad gunning against the imps than an officer in some backwater post like Ord Mantell. However, he's got serious issues with command, regs, and his attitude towards his fellow soldiers is not cohesive. He'd be great as a drill instructor though or on your fireteam. As a XO/CO...he needs some work.

In a perfect world I'd give Jorgan his promotion and his own command. In Havoc, my Trooper would spend too much time arguing with him to get anything done. His command style is too different than my Trooper's. And Dorne would be XO.

Tough call. Then again I have multiple troopers. I'd probably go with Jorgan on my Commando and Dorne with my Vanguard.

It's a damn hard choice, and I could genuinely go either way on it (I'm at the point now).

Jorgan has the experience. He had the rank already, and only lost it because Command screwed him over. He's led people before, doesn't compromise, and is undoubtedly devoted and loyal overall.

However, he's also unnecessarily abrasive and doesn't seem to work that well with Command or allied forces outside his squad. He's quick to anger and quick to focus on emotional reactions rather than thinking logically (doesn't he actually approve of executing Tavus instead of at least giving him the chance to come peacefully? Not good). He relies a bit too heavily on the "I'm entitled!" card when you ask him to sell himself for the position, and the fact that he throws a monstrous hissyfit when he doesn't get picked doesn't exactly prove the Captain wrong.

Dorne knows every regulation forwards and back, and when she does skirt them ("discharge your blaster into his skull"), she generally has a damn good reason for it. She seems to be able to work with everyone, keeps a cool head in combat, and has the decorations to prove her valor and experience in combat as well. She seems also to have a strong moral compass in dealing with the Imps, which is usually a good thing.

However, her Imperial background could cause issues of trust amongst those under her command, and she does have less experience in an actual command position than Jorgan does.

It's hard. It also isn't helped by the fact that my Trooper's 'mancing Elara atm.

Edited by jaguarclaw

• 2 weeks later...

hmm I haven't reached that point yet BUT

special forces units by their very nature have to be adatable and often work on different chain of command. look up the requirements for a spec forces trooper and 'by the book' won't be one of the requirements. The ability to change under pressure and even the general mentioned that a lot of gear that havoc squad used came from non military areas (black market) putting a by the book officer in that situation leads to disaster as they can't adapt.

where as jorgen has already been a member of a highly specialized spec forces unit (cats eyes snipers) thus has been there done that.

General Garza: Since Droids cannot hold rank...

Captain Rico: Wait! What the heck? You want me to trust one of these yahoos? M1-4X is the only member of this squad that I can count on.

I wish there would have been a way to give the promotion to 4X; he's the only one who truly seems to endorse the Republic and doesn't get angry with me for following the commands of my superior officers. If I'm going to trust a new Lt, I want it to be someone who knows how to follow orders.

In the end, since I had to give it to one of those two insubordinates, I went ahead and promoted Dorne. The XO's primary duty is to maintain the ship and keep the other troops in line while I'm away on field missions with M1-4X. Dorne seemed the most logical choice to leave in charge of the vital task of overseeing everyone's crafting.