Losing names = end of the line for me

Elikal

I bet when they do more server merges there will be subscribers who lose their names.

They need to work on alternatives, like adding a 3rd identifier. They could have had legacy names act as a separate identifier for in game mails/friends/ignore lists etc., but they chose to change them from being unique

Edited by Hambunctious

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet when they do more server merges there will be subscribers who lose their names.

They need to work on alternatives, like adding a 3rd identifier. They could have had legacy names act as a separate identifier for in game mails/friends/ignore lists etc., but they chose to change them from being unique

I agree that a better approach would have been to keep legacy names unique.. but then people just complain about that (which they did.. and Bioware changed it). In reality.. if people had just shut up about Legacy names being unique/taken... then we might have gotten a incremental change to the game that made player = name+legacy_name in the game mechanics. Which would have been great. I used a number of name+legacy_name from SWTOR as character names on GW2 when it launched... and they worked great. I really like the way GW2 handled naming.

The core issue here is the entire framework of the game in terms of player to player communications, GTN listings, etc. appears to be based currently on name = unique. They probably would have to rewrite a lot of code to make name =/= unique. It's simply not worth the investment IMO until such time as they get the game to such a mature and stable state that players quit complaining about content and demanding more content.

Edited by Andryah

I seriously doubt they will merge servers again. Now there are a few, and setup by region. The only way to go from here is up (which I also doubt will happen).

I agree that a better approach would have been to keep legacy names unique.. but then people just complain about that (which they did.. and Bioware changed it).

The core issue here is the entire framework of the game in terms of player to player communications, GTN listings, etc. appears to be based currently on name = unique. They probably would have to rewrite a lot of code to make name =/= unique. It's simply not worth the investment IMO until such time as they get the game to such a mature and stable state that players quit complaining about content and demanding more content.

Yes, it would be a massive effort. Every item in the game makes use of the name. They won't be changing this anytime soon.

I'm curious if the guy to whom I lost my favorite char's name during the first server merge that i had since headstart,

will be affected by this. Should I finally get my name back it would boost my morale regarding TOR significantly. :(

Stupid naming system is stupid, and it was so already during beta. But like with so many dumb decisions

made during development it's too late to change this now.... :rolleyes:

Ok, now even day one veterans lose their names if we don`t long in now. Sorry, but that is simply outrageous.

I lost my names already! They merged servers and my lv 50 Chars lost their names because some lv 10 noob had the name on the new destined server, DESPITE the fact I had EXTRA preordered (the expensive edition for back then 210 Euro, given it was 150 Dollars), ESPECIALLY to have my names reserved.

Now 210 Euro, preorder, play from day one and investing TONS of money for almost a year subs and MUCH money into their items shop, I assume I spent 500-600 Euro on their game. If THAT is not enough to keep my frigging names, Bioware and SWTOR can go where the sun doesn't shine!

Your lack of reading comprehension is stunning.

Maybe somewhere down the road a ways

You'll think of me, and wonder where I am these days

Maybe somewhere down the road when somebody plays

Purple haze

Well it's all right, even when push comes to shove

Well it's all right, if you got someone to love

Well it's all right, everything'll work out fine

Well it's all right, were going to the end of the line

Ok, now even day one veterans lose their names if we don`t long in now. Sorry, but that is simply outrageous.

I lost my names already! They merged servers and my lv 50 Chars lost their names because some lv 10 noob had the name on the new destined server, DESPITE the fact I had EXTRA preordered (the expensive edition for back then 210 Euro, given it was 150 Dollars), ESPECIALLY to have my names reserved.

Now 210 Euro, preorder, play from day one and investing TONS of money for almost a year subs and MUCH money into their items shop, I assume I spent 500-600 Euro on their game. If THAT is not enough to keep my frigging names, Bioware and SWTOR can go where the sun doesn't shine!

You're being obtuse. Learn to read. Subs don't lose names.

PLUS - if your name is in danger of being lost (under level 10, haven't played in ages, f2p) then you don't deserve to have the name - ALSO it means it's terribly easy to fix. Just level the toon above 10. Takes about 2 hrs.

OP may not have understood it, but I do completely understand and I still have some concerns about it. Yes I am a subscriber now and so I won't lose my names, but what if I decide to take an extended break from the game, and they do this name renewal again? Or what about people who are currently taking a break from the game, fully intending to return and subscribe again later? They may come back and find all of their reserved names wiped out.

I've never heard of an MMO taking back names before, it's unusual. I haven't played WoW in about two years, but I like knowing that the characters I started will still be there with the names I chose if (big IF) and when I go back to it.

OP may not have understood it, but I do completely understand and I still have some concerns about it. Yes I am a subscriber now and so I won't lose my names, but what if I decide to take an extended break from the game, and they do this name renewal again? Or what about people who are currently taking a break from the game, fully intending to return and subscribe again later? They may come back and find all of their reserved names wiped out.

I've never heard of an MMO taking back names before, it's unusual. I haven't played WoW in about two years, but I like knowing that the characters I started will still be there with the names I chose if (big IF) and when I go back to it.

what is so hard about reading the email ? If you stay sub then nothing happens .

If don't sub and don't play for a extended period , the name may become available in the pool .

so if you can't be bothered to log in once in a while and don't pay , **** can happen ..

So if it is such a big issue , just log in once in a while on your favorite toon , since it is F2P anyway .

Waaaaahhhhh. It only impacts non-subs under level 30 who haven't logged in recently. They will give a warning with people having a certain period of time to log-in to keep the name active. If some non-sub gets notice and doesn't log their low level character in for the 30 days or however long they give people, then there's no reason they should get to keep the name. Out of all the reasons to throw a temper tantrum and threaten to quit, this is probably one of the lamest reasons.

Out of all the reasons to throw a temper tantrum and threaten to quit, this is probably one of the lamest reasons.
Oh please... you've been around these forums long enough to know that people have thrown tantrums over more frivolous things than this.