Galactic Starfighters... with a cockpit view?

LadyKulvax

One problem the final version does not go live till February 8th, there is a lot of time between then and now. I would think the devs want to get this right. So to me its a possibility. If they want to gather in as many star wars fans as possible, they really should look at joystick and cockpit view, otherwise its just going to flop. Not really hurt the game much but not really help it out. No one will ever trust a expansion in this game again if they just do it the simple way.

Ok you really need to do a better job of reading regardless of your bum leg. For subs it launches Dec 3, Preferred Jan 14 and F2P Feb 4. Don't QQ unless you are 100% sure you're right

Source

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20131008

http://dulfy.net/2013/10/08/swtor-bioware-reveals-galactic-starfighter-second-digital-expansion/

Edited by Imhotep

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im honestly im not that excited about this expantion. I know it has been waited by manny since the begining.

But from what i can see, its just a one big warzone in space. I guess its ok, i was expecting something akin to Freelancer, if you guys dont know that game, go google it. ITs a great game.

I dont mind cockpit view or the lack of it to be honest, it doesnt seem to be a simulator, so a cockpit view, its rather useless. It depends how they will implement it, but it seems to me one more minigame, but just pvp that you can queue.

A free roam game in space with all diferent missions, and modes, like bounty hunting, or smugling, or trading, piracy, and major battles would be too much to ask. Im not picturing nothing fancy like EvE or something like that, but just some elements that would make sense anyhow, in the mini game. LIke freelancer wich was very simple to play and understand, but at the same time had depth.

Some say December 3rd, some say February 8th.... Any actual source?

December 3rd is early acess for subs. For people with preferred status get early acess on January 14, and the actual release is on the February 8. The source? the very same website, where you post so often in its forums. ;)

Edited by Spartanik

December 3rd is early acess for subs. For people with preferred status get early acess on January 14, and the actual release is on the February 8. The source? the very same website, where you post so often in its forums. ;)

I think that referring to the date that F2Ps get it as the "actual release", when the majority of players will have already gotten the whole thing before then, doesn't make all that much sense.

As a sim head I love cockpit view as much as the next guy, but in a PvP senario I really don't see the sense of putting one in. It essentially gimps who ever decides to use it and those that try it out for fun will probably zoom back out eventually, unless BW applies some kind of artificial penalty to the third person view (i.e. no minimaps like in Mechwarrior Online). Also, I can imagine certain starship designs lend themselves to cockpits with greater visibility than others, this quickly devolves into (more) players being unhappy with "unbalances"

Cockpit art has to be created, modeled and tested and that seems like a whole bunch of resources for what might amount to a passing novelty.

as for joystick control, From what I've gathered from the videos, it seems that the mouse cursor controls both blaster aim AND ship directional control. I guess the same control scheme can be ported over to a joystick but it just can't see how it can be more responsive than mouse control. Once again, this leads to development time being devoted to a play style that is more novelty than functional.

Instead, What i plan to do with my joystick is to (if i can) bind throttle and roll controls to my Y and X axis respectively, and control it with my left hand. Hopefully this will give me a little more control over my speed as well as a whole bunch of extra buttons at my finger tips.

I think that referring to the date that F2Ps get it as the "actual release", when the majority of players will have already gotten the whole thing before then, doesn't make all that much sense.

It made sense for the makeb expantion, and the actual release of the game.

Its simple if you are F2P player you only get it in February, the actual release.

If you are a sub you got early acess. There is nothing new in this model.

Edited by Spartanik

I would go further and say that I think space PvP is going to be an epic fail unless they implement cockpit view as a toggle option (think X-wing, Tiefighter, or X-wing vs Tie Fighter for the PC's).

In those games, they had 2 modes: exterior-like what is being presented now, or cockpit. Everybody that I knew that played the classic Star Wars sims always used cockpit.

Personally, I would hate for Bioware to do GS and not do cockpit mode and then people start complaining. Then Bioware says "See? We gave people what they wanted and now they're complaining" when the reality is they never gave us quite what we wanted.

I would go further and say that I think space PvP is going to be an epic fail unless they implement cockpit view as a toggle option (think X-wing, Tiefighter, or X-wing vs Tie Fighter for the PC's).

In those games, they had 2 modes: exterior-like what is being presented now, or cockpit. Everybody that I knew that played the classic Star Wars sims always used cockpit.

Personally, I would hate for Bioware to do GS and not do cockpit mode and then people start complaining. Then Bioware says "See? We gave people what they wanted and now they're complaining" when the reality is they never gave us quite what we wanted.

You are never going to get quite what you want with anything, let alone a video game that attempts to cater to potentially millions of people. :rolleyes:

Edited by CelCawdro

I don't think that the upcoming feature (Im calling it the OSC open space combat, as opposed to RSC, rails space combat) will fail based on a lack of first person or joystick control...I do, however, feel strongly that both should be included.

Especially joystick control, even if it is just the ability to assign keys to the joystick.

I will give you that I was off by four days its February 4th not 8th. My point is if it was ready now they would release it now, which means they are still going to be working on it up till Feb 4th. Early access is a good way for them to test it and get a feel for how players feel about it. People see a trailer now and days and they think its set in stone. Not going to say I am not guilty of that because I have been at times. I truly hope they take this joystick and cockpit view seriously, and view it as a must have.

My other point is this I am not expecting a unique cockpit view for every fighter. If they took the swg tie fighter cockpit view, then adjusted it for swtor, and made it for all of the imperial fighters I would be fine with that. As for what a republic cockpit view should look like, I honestly do not know. The x-wing was trashy, like a rebels fighter should look like, sense they were always on the run. The republic however is a established military force, but again if they made one good one for all republic ships I would be ok with that.

It's clearly a more arcade-esque control scheme/approach. Cockpit view and joysticks are the domain of full fledged flight sims. This is not it I'm afraid. Which is probably a good thing as proper flight sims lack mass appeal. I mean most people chucked their joysticks in the bin in 1999.

I take it that you've never played the game World of Warplanes (cousin to World of Tanks) - joystick use is alive and well.

These games are best described as 3rd person MMOFPs only with planes (and tanks) and not as "twitchy" as the COD or Battlefield games.

Loads of fun (imho) and F2P.

You are never going to get quite what you want with anything, let alone a video game that attempts to cater to potentially millions of people. :rolleyes:

Yea, when I go to McDonalds and I ask for a Cheesburger and they give me a McChicken, they tell me "you are never going to get what you want with anything."

It's their choice, but it will be a colossal failure. And to the guy who says that you must have joysticks for flight sims: Have you played Tie Fighter? Keyboard and mouse...

Yea, when I go to McDonalds and I ask for a Cheesburger and they give me a McChicken, they tell me "you are never going to get what you want with anything."

It's their choice, but it will be a colossal failure. And to the guy who says that you must have joysticks for flight sims: Have you played Tie Fighter? Keyboard and mouse...

That theory works when the food you want is physically on the menu. They're still experimenting with recipes and the menu isn't even printed yet. If Galactic Starfighter being a colossal failure is your preordained wish, then it will be for you. Edited by GalacticKegger

Please explain how it will be a collosal failure when we aren't even there yet? I believe you meant to say you "think" it will be a colossal failure because it probably doesn't have a control scheme closer to sim games.

Since MMOs have to appeal to a wide audience the first control scheme available will most likely be a basic setup that everyone uses. They have to build for a common denominator.

Edited by Arkerus

Cockpit view and joystick/gamepad support! Yes please!

Cockjpit view doesn't concern me, I prefer 3rd person view anyways. But joystick and or console controller does need to be implemeneted for the space flight. Dogfighting with a mouse and keyboard will be an extreme pain the the neck.

Which is probably a good thing as proper flight sims lack mass appeal.

In the 90s, LucasArts flight sims HAD mass appeal !

In the magazine called "Retro Gaming" I think it was when one of the original designers of the LucasArts X-Wing etc. games said that flight sims are nowadays not well received, because they are too complex.

Players indeed would have to keep track of so many things at the same time - thanksto dumbing down during the last 10 years, "modern" players can't play anything else but mass hack & slay Action-RPGs and shopoters nowadays anymore.

Have you ever played "TIE Fighter" ? Now THAT was complex ! Or the X-Wing games - trying to fly an B-Wing ! Having to *quickly* manage both shields & weapons power !

"Modern" gamers just can't do this. The "gaming industry" has effectiovely trained them into playing - in comparison to the 90s - simple games. Blizzard introduced this mass hack & slay. And, one of the earlier Ultima games was condemned with the infamous "unplayable" label by students !

No, complex games indeed would not have mass appeal - because the "modern gamers" has been trained into playing "dumbed own" non-complex games.

So... you guys realize this is a PvP update, right? Do you play WZs in first-person view? Of course not, you'd be at a disadvantage. So, why would you want to limit your view in Space WZs?

To be clear, I *do* support the idea of a cockpit view. As a pilot IRL, I would very much appreciate the immersion factor. But it's just not practical for PvP. If they release some PvE content in the future, though, I'm all for it.

As for joystick control... This isn't something you should need BW to do for you. Set up the keybinds yourself; it shouldn't be that hard. :jawa_smile:

That's assuming, of course, that they use a control system that lends itself to joystick use (i.e. pitch, yaw, roll). If, like other people have suggested, it turns out that you just point the nose with the mouse and can only fly straight-and-level on a fixed plane (i.e. you can't hold any unusual attitudes; basically, the current space game just with control over global z-axis rotation) a joystick won't actually be that helpful. And in that case, I would be very disappointed. :jawa_frown:

But hey, expectation leads to suffering. :csw_yoda:

BiOWare, will this include the classic cockpit view point that felt so amazing in X-wing vs TIE Fighter? if so, fantastic! if not, please god implement it, nothing ever felt as good in a space sim than being sat in the cockpit of a TIE Fighter shooting down Rebel scum, please god implement cockpit POV if it isn't already a part of the update.

Heard through the grapevine,that it is strictly 3rd person and that you will not be able to have multiple people on your ship, and its open not, on rails. However, supposedly there are to be some big big raids for space. Again, consider this a "rumor" , take it with a grain of salt.

This... is not a flight sim.

The basic controls will, 95% likely, be the same as the existing space missions, with perhaps an option to control speed.

Pretty clear from the trailer that your ship automatically flies where your reticle is aimed, as in standard space missions.

To re-iterate: It's not going to be a flight sim. Joystick and gamepad controls are nice for flight sims, I get that. But unlike flight sims, using the mouse and keyboard is not gonna be more complicated than joystick/gamepad.

This thread looks to be a perfect example of how modern gamers spin their own hype to uncontrollable levels.

Bioware announced that they were adding a free-flight PvP mini-game. That's all.

It took minutes for people to start comparing it to X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, a full-on space flight sim. If any of you out there are hoping that Starfighter mode will be like XWvTF, then you've set yourself up for disappointment and your inevitable dissatisfaction should be blamed on no one but yourself.

This is an MMO. It's space-PvP minigame is not a flight sim. If you think that Bioware took a small team and cranked out a AAA flight sim using an MMO engine, then you're about as knowledgeable as that guy who thought that a couple interns could switch game engines in a week.

Sorry to be harsh here, but it's better to get this all done and over with before the hype reaches unmanageable levels. This is a space mini game. Best guesses and logical thought say that its going to use a similar interface to the existing space game, just without being locked in an invisible hallway. The footage shows ships moving freely in all three axes. The press release mentions as many as three types of ships. Assume that is what you'll be getting. No throttle. No initial simulation. No multiple-pilots. No pilot/gunner combo. No cockpit view. No tweaking engine stats or balancing shield/weapon output. No special support for gamepads or flight sticks.

Maybe we'll get more than that. Maybe. But since they haven't said they're doing anything more than that, you'd be silly to interpret their statements as a promise to give you any of it. People are already commenting about how they'll quit if some petty feature isn't implemented. Fine. Quit, because obviously you were just looking for an excuse. Instead of conjuring up your personal fantasy and demanding it be satisfied, look at what is actually being offered and then decide whether you like it or not. Want to suggest more features? Sure. Go ahead. Want to demand that they exist before release or get added while Bioware is already past primary development? Well, you're too late. Sorry. It'll be better for everyone if we try to live in reality for just a bit. Keep your demands/hype/expectations in check and work with what we know is true.

To be more explicitly on-topic: I have no position on cockpit view. My only statement would be this: If it exists, it should display no more information than you'd get if you were not in cockpit view. And that actually means that you'd get less information, as the third-person view would give you a better view of the area. Sorry cockpit fans. Realism is more challenging.

Edited by Malastare

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.