The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please switch the engine now before its too late..

Hazed

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does Andryah have access to Bioware's numbers? How does she know what their server capacity is?

The only thing I know is Jeff Hickman said the server capacity of these servers is 3-4 times greater than the old ones. So if someone knows what the old server capacity is.... :p

Don't know about all servers, but there is almost always 4 full instances of the fleet on the Harbinger and 2-4 instances for every other planet.

Also, there are 17 servers.

There's 8 N.A. servers. My numbers were only referring to those.

Ebon Hawk...

- is lucky to have 2 full fleets, usually 1 + a couple dozen on another instance... maybe 200 people total.

- While it's possible to see 100 people on D.K. or Coruscant, 200 is rare. Less than 50 is very common on any planet past level 25ish. Level 35+ planets might have a couple dozen, if you are lucky.

Begeron Colony...

- usually about 75% of EH's totals.

I don't know about other servers and I do know that the RP servers will generally have less than others, but they do make up 25% of the total number of N.A. servers. I crunched the numbers based off of GalacticKegger's wildly optimistic (IMO) claimed player numbers and it totaled roughly 80-100k players.

That's from May dude...and it was UNDER 500k. Anything slightly more recent?

I said around I didn't say over read my post again. Do you have anything to argue against?

Edit: Also Do you really believe that numbers from a time when nothing was really going on in TOR's numbers would dip after the release of 2 new Operations, Arenas and the announcement of a new Free Flight PvP expansion? Com'on Man. You can do better than that.

Edited by MisterBlackJack

The only thing I know is Jeff Hickman said the server capacity of these servers is 3-4 times greater than the old ones. So if someone knows what the old server capacity is.... :p

Correct. He made that statement and players using empirical checking last year confirmed this.. actually put it at between 3x and 5x.. so slightly higher by player empirical checks.. but then again.. these servers choke when full... so Hickmans number is probably a better put on capacity.

And as I stated earlier, and have stated multiple other times on this kind of discussion.. the old servers ran STANDARD at ~1500 players.

Edited by Andryah

Correct. He made that statement and players using empirical checking last year confirmed this.. actually put it at between 3x and 5x.. so slightly higher by player empirical checks.. but then again.. these servers choke when full... so Hickmans number is probably a better put on capacity.

And as I stated earlier, and have stated multiple other times on this kind of discussion.. the old servers rand STANDARD at ~1500 players.

So...you have no idea actually? Your numbers are just as made-up as anyone elses? lol

Would like to know this too. While we're at it, what numbers do the other server activity descriptions represent? That is: light, heavy, very heavy.

With the current servers, and applying prior scaling data from the old servers:

LIGHT: 0-4000

STANDARD: 4000-6000

HEAVY: 6000-8000

VERY HEAVY: 8000-10000

FULL: 12000

These are ranged estimates based on known scaling of super servers vs old servers AND using scaling data that was done last year (IN THESE FORUMS) on what the L,S,D,VH,F are equivalent to.

These are informed estimates, as explained. NOT official numbers, and not absolute numbers. But they are tested, reasonable metrics. The empirical data they are derived from are credible... as opposed to some of the nonsense that gets tossed around here.

But again.. what matters to player? Server active, server busy, lots of people to play with. In reality, the superserver approach has achieved that goal, and is frankly what they should have done at launch rather then launching with couple hundred small servers. It is an MMO afterall.

Edited by Andryah

These are informed estimates, as explained. NOT official numbers, and not absolute numbers. But they are tested, reasonable metrics.

I like how you pretend your imaginary numbers are somehow more valid than others. You took old guesses, multiplied them by 3-5 and pretend they're now "reasonable".

And because the ad hominems fly every time I present a rational discussion as to the basis for understanding server populations:

The old body of work done by Scorpienne, et al that I base my estimations upon ARE HERE in the forums from last year:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=449144

And

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=484899

If you cannot read it and make use of it objectively... please don't even bother.

Edited by Andryah

And because the ad hominems fly every time I present a rational discussion as to the basis for understanding server populations:

The old body of work done by Scorpienne, et al that I base my estimations upon ARE HERE in the forums from last year:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=449144

And

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=484899

If you cannot read it and make use of it objectively... please don't even bother.

Thanks for elaborating. Skimmed those links and played around at torstatus...interesting stuff. If nothing else, it's food for thought. I'll give it a closer read this evening.

Why are we talking about server populations? Are we trying to indicate the game is failing due to going F2P/Market again?

Because, you know, that never gets old.

Heh. Every thread in these forums, if it lives long enough, comes full circle. :D

So... I think I will just add the words: Chat Bubbles and SWG. There. Now this thread has covered everything and we can start again.

Edited by Rafaman

Heh. Every thread in these forums, if it lives long enough, comes full circle. :D

So... I think I will just add the words: Chat Bubbles and SWG. There. Now, this thread has covered everything and we can start again.

LOL...

Can we /stick a fork in it now? :p

People just like arguing over stuff when there isn't really obvious, clear-cut evidence. If there was, there would be nothing to argue about. :p

I mean, just imagine, if they actually released exact numbers of subscribers, accounts, population by hour, maximum server capacity, percentage of players that PVP, percentage of players that RP, do HM operations, etc.. we'd have to find other things to argue about.

Like whether they can effectively change the engine, or whether the packs are in violation of gambling laws and whether you could win a lawsuit.