New Game Enhancements for SW:TOR? (OPINIONATED)

AvnSevex

Game overhaul? Nah, I'd rather see The Old Republic 2 with all the new stuff. :] But who's got enough money to beat the GTA V's record? And if anything, TOR 2 would come out in like 7 years at least :[

GTA 5 did make a helluva statement for an open world game...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if they took it offline for a year or two and redid the entire thing and launched it again, like FF14 (remains to be seen if that actually works for them long term).

But no, the NGE proved you can't radically change how a game works post launch and expect people to stick around like it's some content patch or expansion. All you'd end up doing in this game is piss off the people playing who enjoy it the way it is and cause them to quit. New people won't join up because of the reputation of the game (original launch + catastrophic sub loss after the "NGE").

Nevermind that EA would never spend that kind of money on this game, as it'd likely require a new/better engine to do what you're asking (the one we have barely does what they want it to now).

You can, as Final Fantasy 14 proved, if its done correctly. Some of the SWG devs (Jeff Rubenfield) stated they thought the control changes were spot on.

Everyone obviously has very different concepts of what adds realism. I think adding day/ night cycles and weather, which SWG always had, would add more realism than a mouse-driven aiming system. But the devs clearly stated that they favored creating a colorful, dream like world rather than have the servers waste computing cycles on day night computations (I'm paraphrasing of course, but these were comments alluded to before launch.). I agree there needs to be a more "immersive" space combat aspect. But beware of forcing integration of space and ground. SWG did that with the Rage of the Wookies Kashyyyk expansion and it didn't go over well, though I have always maintained that the movies have combined space and ground battles as a hallmark feature.

I do find it ironic that SWG set a bar in so many ways, innovating many systems envied by game developers today. But remember also that so many people complained about the aiming system in the NGE that they had to add back auto-targeting. Be careful what you ask for.

They've proven nothing yet, they're still in the honeymoon stage of subscribers. Has it even been one month yet?

Remember what people thought of this game in its first month? heh

I just meant the backlash against FF XIV:ARR was far less than the backlash against the NGE

I just meant the backlash against FF XIV:ARR was far less than the backlash against the NGE

Yea that's true. I think overall people were more disappointed with FF14 before it was shut down than with SWG pre-NGE. They kind of came out of left field with that "upgrade"

But remember also that so many people complained about the aiming system in the NGE that they had to add back auto-targeting. Be careful what you ask for.

I remember that very well, judging from what I've seen on my thread, changing the combat system entirely would be a poor decision overall that's my bad.

But like someone else said I guess I'm just asking for a way to put all my favorite star wars games I've played into the MMORPG space...

Lightsaber combat to be like Force Unleashed/Jedi Knight Series.

Blaster Combat to be like Battlefront and Republic Commando.

Space to be like JTLS / Rogue Squadron / Kotor...

A guy can have his crazy dreams right?

The thing that I'm not sure people understand is that I like SWTOR the way it is right now, but I think it could definitely be improved with some new ideas, maybe not the crazy entirely game changing ideas that I listed in the first place but Swtor needs some work in a few areas. My friend still cannot play the game because of how choppy and lagged it is on his computer, so he feels like he wasted the $60, stuff like that, engine optimization should be a top priority on their list in my opinion.

I lived through the C.U. and NGE...... not real good memories. Use those terms carefully, one day we had a thriving community , the next 2 weeks we had dead servers. Yes some of the players came back, some new joined but it was never what it was.

I know the game needs bug fixing and upgrading and things added to make it better but a NGE overhaul be very careful what you ask for, you may get it.

I agree, I watched too many friends not log in as usual then never again because of it. The CU was far more manageable than the NGE was. But funny things was after years of NGE they added pretty much most of the combat style they removed back.

OP I agree with some of what you say and ask for, some of it would be fun changes. They cannot mess with combat, it would kill the game, sorry but it would. Jump to Lightspeed game play would be fun again especially if you needed crafted ship parts that could be made different nearly each time. Crystals are fine being what they are now, we don't need a step back in that department. a full graphics overhaul though? It needs some work, clipping is a pain. And the physics engine I think could be shut off for that matter as that's a large reason for some issues. All in all the game play is fine, we have bugs that need bashing, but it was a pretty solid release compared to make other games releases. Just my two credits.

You can, as Final Fantasy 14 proved, if its done correctly. Some of the SWG devs (Jeff Rubenfield) stated they thought the control changes were spot on.

Everyone obviously has very different concepts of what adds realism. I think adding day/ night cycles and weather, which SWG always had, would add more realism than a mouse-driven aiming system. But the devs clearly stated that they favored creating a colorful, dream like world rather than have the servers waste computing cycles on day night computations (I'm paraphrasing of course, but these were comments alluded to before launch.). I agree there needs to be a more "immersive" space combat aspect. But beware of forcing integration of space and ground. SWG did that with the Rage of the Wookies Kashyyyk expansion and it didn't go over well, though I have always maintained that the movies have combined space and ground battles as a hallmark feature.

I do find it ironic that SWG set a bar in so many ways, innovating many systems envied by game developers today. But remember also that so many people complained about the aiming system in the NGE that they had to add back auto-targeting. Be careful what you ask for.

I think a day night cycle would add more realism than t takes away from their dreamy excuse. Since when does a dreamy atmosphere not need a night cycle cause u know dreams occur at night and i would much rather have something that gives it a feeling of progressive continuity than the same thing FOREVER

I can't believe I paid to post this post !

Are people totally demented and only thinking about themself ? In there situation and grand illusion .

That they know what is best for the general public who are already struggling with the game as it is ?

to even suggest such a change ?

Let see grinding 500 mobs in aim click configuration is fun ? For doing dailies ?

Wait playing 3 hours progressive raiding is fun playing a action game ?

That 7 days a week ? , oh lets think pvp , playing 12 hours a day in a fast pace action game is fun ?

Oh yeah some people without brains and life might think it is fun , but those are not the ones paying the cartel market .

and the continous support of this game !

So if you think it is fun put down a million in cartel market everymonth , and trust me they would accept your suggestion ,

in the mean time no thank you ! Scrap this idea of action game !

Edited by Drake_Hound

I can't believe I paid to post this post !

Are people totally demented and only thinking about themself ? In there situation and grand illusion .

That they know what is best for the general public who are already struggling with the game as it is ?

to even suggest such a change ?

Let see grinding 500 mobs in aim click configuration is fun ? For doing dailies ?

Wait playing 3 hours progressive raiding is fun playing a action game ?

That 7 days a week ? , oh lets think pvp , playing 12 hours a day in a fast pace action game is fun ?

Oh yeah some people without brains and life might think it is fun , but those are not the ones paying the cartel market .

and the continous support of this game !

So if you think it is fun put down a million in cartel market everymonth , and trust me they would accept your suggestion ,

in the mean time no thank you ! Scrap this idea of action game !

Well thank you for paying to post your thoughts. Everyone has their opinions and thoughts, I respect yours, I only ask that you could respect mine and others as well.

Edited by AvnSevex

Well thank you for paying to post your thoughts. Everyone has their opinions and thoughts, I respect your's, I only ask that you could respect mine and others as well.

Oh I do respect yours , that is why I gave the examples to prevent you from hanging yourself ,

While fun your ideas , sometimes a bit of cold harsh truth wakes people up .

MMO is about grinding , and while action games are quite fun , you do not want to play years in the same action game ! Especially reflex twitching games .

And in mmo reflex twitching get tiresome really quickly , hench not really one succesfull FPS mmo .

Edit : why current system works the best , compared to blizz new game ,

Is that there is a choice of diversity and play style , if you want to action twist , use both hands .

Click on 6-10 buttons manage your resources , all that is possible for the advance gamers .

with a simple setup , it lacks long term growth ... This game is based on diverse playstyle , while hard to understand , unless your target market is like Blizzard new game the youth , you have to take a capital lost and still hope the youth will get over to your product ! While current system with less static ability could already achieve the same reflex twitch !

Edited by Drake_Hound

I think its too late for that to ever be put in SW:TOR as many people have said the game engine being an issue, but more importantly the player base has become use to the current system as well as the fact that BioWare will probably see this as the same as class stories where they said that the cost was too high to warrant the pay off. SW:TOR doesn't need to try to get more people with the combat system as the Star Wars name brings in people which games like TERA never had.

That's just my view of course and in no way am I trying to speak for anyone else.

Edited by weejohnathon

Wait, what? So now we would have to be billionaires to have our suggestions considered? (I'd say millionaires but that wouldn't last long if your dropping a mill on the cartel market every month) That is the most ridiculous statement I have read on these forums in recent memory.

As for the rest of your post yes people can and do spend a large amount of time on the game, if they find it fun and want to do that what gives you the right to call them brainless and with no life. For some people this is an escape from real life, it certainly was for me and what one person thinks is fun another might not doesn't mean you have the right to insult the OP for his suggestion.

As for the OP's suggestion, I think its too late for that to ever be put in SW:TOR as many people have said the game engine being an issue, but more importantly the player base has become use to the current system as well as the fact that BioWare will probably see this as the same as class stories where they said that the cost was too high to warrant the pay off. SW:TOR doesn't need to try to get more people with the combat system as the Star Wars name brings in people which games like TERA never had.

That's just my view of course and in no way am I trying to speak for anyone else.

Well some people love to watch paint dry , it is fun for them , but I find that a waste of time !

and I have right to my opnion cause I can back it up , can you why terra isn't doing well ?

Can you backuo your opnion for the general of the swtor market with your insight why they are so many fail dpsers ?

So many people who really doesn't understand the class ?

No twitch games are fun for a short time , but long term it causes harm ! Some hypes you do not follow .

unless you want a quick bang for the bucks , what cartel market already does .

Sadly we live in a world of money , everything revolves around making money ! Money has to make even more money !

So yes a millionair has much more money and power then somebody who has a "opnion" .

So when push comes to shove , he can hire a army of lawyers , while the rest of us can't even do anything !

Maybe not as rosey colored as some people want to believe , but that is reality for you .

EA does not run on a profit base , if the cartelmarket didn't provide enough income , away our swtor went .

and since so many mmo shutdown , but people really care ? NO they don't .

So think ways of making the mmo last 10 year , instead of introducing hypes , that seems shortterm .

This game still has people who keyboard turn. Do you honestly think combat which requires that sort of coordination is a remotely feasible idea?

It's more like do we want a shooter? That's just crazy. Don't dumb down the game any more than it is and I love shooters. Frankly that's ridiculous for TOR. People are happy with old school. I happen to think there's nothing wrong with the combat system except the misfires. Don't change it. Fix it.

Edited by AlaricSevGirl

I don't disagree with that logic that millionaires have more power, although there's a couple of flaws to your reasoning here: Since f2P launch SW:TOR revenue has increased by around the 50% mark every quarter this isn't a small figure so a lot of money is going into the cartel market and what have we really gotten for it? confirmation of no new class, no new class stories and no companion story arc continuations, so throwing money at the cartel market isn't really the way to go as it would honestly make the game feel like more of a cash grab than it already does IMO, and yes I have invested a ridiculous amount into the cartel market until these was confirmed as after hearing therm confirm those I couldn't bring myself to spend even more on the game than what my sub already gets me.

the majority of the income comes from generous donating sub , not F2P players ,

If they didn't went F2P , they would have had less influx of new people who are amazed at the fun of the games .

and turn sub , even after 3 months of again break , I still find the game fun .

that coming from somebody who was bored of wow in 3 hours , but loves blizzard as a company and there support :(

Infact I wish blizzard had this game and bought out bioware !

I haven't played blizzard games for 2 years , get back get instant support that caused them a day work .

They even did that for the customers , here :( nvm no support .

Now you can't just guess why the game is profitable , unless you understand where the majority of the profit comes from , bioware community is not a poor community , infact the opposite .

The support and love for this game from the community is very generous , sadly EA and Game support ruins it again with there lack of maturity and quality . Causing a lot of those donators to drop off .