AoEs should not interrupt capture/plant/disarm beyond first tick

JefferyClark

I know this has been discussed before, but I think that the time has come to disallow AoE attacks that have a duration to not interrupt past the first tick. Force Sweep and similar 1-tick moves should, but anything channeled or multi-tick AoE should not. They have become the new DoTs.

/flameproof suit is now on

I wont flame, but I dont agree. No reason to make this game any easier than it already is. If a guy is alive and 6 players are all trying to cap together rather than CC and cap, they deserve to be interupted with an AoE attack. Simple as that ;)

This is ridiculous. While we are at it how about no attacks can stop you from capping an objective. You must not have been around for when DOTS stopped caps. A lethality sniper could shut down an entire team with just their dots.

Pro Tip: if an operative places an operative strike and you fail to interrupt it, kill him and the AOE disappears.

Edited by ManiacDavis

As I said, after the 1st tick :) They'd still be interrupted, but that 1 person wouldn't just be able to stand there and LOL while those 6 people try and cap again. He'd actually have to do something.

Its a really small difference though, I mean....with your change, the sorc would just re-cast lightning storm?

Your team would still be forced to try control him at some point, unless you plan to make him run out of force? :D

No, it needs to stay as it is. People need to learn to pay attention and help the "ONE" guy trying to cap by CC'ing the last members of enemy team.

This is ridiculous. While we are at it how about no attacks can stop you from capping an objective. You must not have been around for when DOTS stopped caps. A lethality sniper could shut down an entire team with just their dots.

Pro Tip: if an operative places an operative strike and you fail to interrupt it, kill him and the AOE disappears.

That was the BEST thing ever as a madness sorc! :) DoT up the entire team, die, wait for next spawn. Since DoTs are pretty weak otherwise, it was awesome to be able to interrupt caps.

Its a really small difference though, I mean....with your change, the sorc would just re-cast lightning storm?

Your team would still be forced to try control him at some point, unless you plan to make him run out of force? :D

No, it needs to stay as it is. People need to learn to pay attention and help the "ONE" guy trying to cap by CC'ing the last members of enemy team.

Ok, increase the times then. 20s on Voidstar isn't enough to even really start to coordinate a concentrated effort, let alone implement it; and yeah, I'm more talking about Voidstar, since it is impossible to LoS people there, unlike NC and Alderaan.

Ok, increase the times then. 20s on Voidstar isn't enough to even really start to coordinate a concentrated effort, let alone implement it; and yeah, I'm more talking about Voidstar, since it is impossible to LoS people there, unlike NC and Alderaan.

Full door in Voidstar is 20 sec? Ill admit I have never counted :D

Anyway guess stalemates in voidstar was only an often occuring event in 8 vs 8 rated.

If you are unlucky enough to get games in normals with 3-4 healers on each side then that sux, but in these games you wouldt cap the door anyway even if AoE only interupted on first tick?

Edit: Oh you are talking about dissarming the bomb? :D

Guess thats pretty much impossible, but its gonna be hard even if people could only interupt with single target abilities anyway.

Edited by ZipZep

I know this has been discussed before, but I think that the time has come to disallow AoE attacks that have a duration to not interrupt past the first tick.

It's the whole freaking point of casting AOE attacks.

Everyone gets out of the area before the first tick, so their only use is to give you some breathing room while you deal with the attackers.

It's the whole freaking point of casting AOE attacks.

Everyone gets out of the area before the first tick, so their only use is to give you some breathing room while you deal with the attackers.

Blocking off the entire area you have to be in to cap/disarm is not breathing room.

I was around, and I am a Vig Guardian. My DoTs saved me more times than I can count, but that doesn't mean I wasn't against them counting too. I thought it was a cheap "I Win" scenario that allowed 1 player/class type too much power over superior forces. For those who think that this will make things too easy, it really won't. There are still plenty of direct damage attacks out there and I am not saying take away all AoE's, just the ones that have more than 1 tick (beyond that first tick). In the Voidstar scenario where this is the most-used tactic, one side already has to work and has a degree of difficulty in accomplishing the objective, the other shouldn't just be able to cast an AoE that takes up the whole area where you have to be to work the objective and sit back LOL'ing the whole rest of the time, thus preventing the other team from even trying anything in the short time allotted.

Changing this will make both sides work harder and actually encourage people to tie up the opposing team. Right now, once the AoE fest has started, why bother? You might as well shift over to the next objective, if you can.

Edited by JefferyClark

Blocking off the entire area you have to be in to cap/disarm is not breathing room.

That's exactly the idea. If it didn't block off the area, AOE would be useless.

This is ridiculous. While we are at it how about no attacks can stop you from capping an objective.

In most warzones, this would be a welcome change.

Only having caps stopped by the same interrupts that stop other casts - that is your interrupt, stun, mez and knockback. That's PLENTY of tools to use against a slow interruptible touch cast.

That said, AOEs are not the problem, they are specifically there to stop caps. "1" is an issue, being so easily spammed, in some WZ.

The problem with your idea OP is that the AoE's you're talking about are continuing and interruptible attacks...Just because the damage isn't all dealt up-front, like with Smash or Sweep, doesn't mean it shouldn't count as an 'attack'...especially when it's interruptible. Being attacked while capping stops a cap...these AoEs are still being cast while you're being interrupted. It's frustrating as hell at times, but that's why players need to focus better in WZ's.

no

there are so many other things to address in this game..but this isn't one....not to mention with the removal of 8v8 ranked....who cares? Objective pvp will not be top of mind for the devs, all pvp changes will revolve around arenas for the foreseeable future of swtor pvp.

/thread

A few newbies thought it was entirely unfair that i could plasma probe one door while orbital striking and frag grenading the other last night. They even called me a cheater.

I told them the solution was to kill me. They apparently thought they shouldnt have to actually kill people in pvp.

As I said, after the 1st tick :) They'd still be interrupted, but that 1 person wouldn't just be able to stand there and LOL while those 6 people try and cap again. He'd actually have to do something.

he can be interrupted and killed

this thread is ridiculous, children have something wrong with them born after 1985.

I told them the solution was to kill me. They apparently thought they shouldnt have to actually kill people in pvp.

To be fair, this PvP can be won without killing anyone on most maps.

Huttball is the extreme, where killing is detrimental and serves only to put the enemy back to defend.

CW and NC can be won without killing, easily I might add.

VS can be won, but it's not nearly as fun.

HG is the only map where killing is almost a necessity.

So please, make fun of the kids who thought they shouldn't have to kill in PvP. Our maps make it unneeded.

Edited by maverickmatt

so if i ignite the area around you with napalm it should magically extinguish after the first tic?.. yer no. Sure AoE's are annoying as hell when your trying to cap/arm/disarm etc but there's where your smart non selfish team ma.... oh lol yeah my bad most pug's fail hard by not protecting the planter/capper. Have watched many rated's and wanna know how many times I've seen ppl run to the planter/capper and start planting/capping as well?.. none. Granted this was 8v8 so proper organized smart teamwork.