Petition to ban the use of the word "Toon" when referring to your character

OmenQ

Title really says it all. It makes no sense to me, and is annoying.

If you must use a word to describe your character as an object, the word "Avatar" makes a lot more sense. At least that would be semi-accurate.

I feel like I'm in the world of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, i agree, Toon is just a stupid way of referring to my character...

it's not cell-shaded it's not some mystical talking animal trapped in a castle, it's not part of a mystery solving group of teenagers with their talking dog, it's definitely not 2D, and there are no talking animals, Cathar don't count, they're just ppl in kitty face paint... my character has not been killed by a dropping Anvil or safe, nor does she use anything by ACME...

Toons you have no direct control or influence over, with a character you're either the actor or the assistant director telling the character what to do and what line to say (choose in this case)... not angry, mad, or ranting, i just think Toon sounds stupid in this context...

Maybe there's someone out there who is good with writing a Firefox add-on to replace "toon" with something else, like the "cloud-to-butt" add-on. Then at least I'd be able to get some amusement out of the misuse of the term.

Edit: cloud-to-butt add-on got me.

Edited by OmenQ

If you must use a word to describe your character as an object, the word "Avatar" makes a lot more sense. At least that would be semi-accurate.

To you maybe, but I hear avatar & immediately think of a certain bald TOON with an arrow tattooed on his head followed by giant blue ppl with big eyes & tails. But this game & the characters in it look like a cartoon....thus my character is a toon.

Well, we're both correct in our usage. Though, I've never watched that particular cartoon.

1. Source: Hinduism

a manifestation of a deity or released soul in bodily form on earth; an incarnate divine teacher.

an incarnation, embodiment, or manifestation of a person or idea.

"he chose John Stuart Mill as the avatar of the liberal view"

2. source: Computing

an icon or figure representing a particular person in computer games, Internet forums, etc

I'm not fussy about the term 'toon' either, tho I've fallen into using it out of laziness.

I used to refer to my characters, as 'charries' or 'chars' but then meh...too long to type, can't be bothered, so 'toon'.

Avatar is too long too. It's human nature to be lazy and use the shortest form possible.

Edited by Lunafox

Next on the list, petition to ban using "u mad" and "bro" in any way shape or form.

Side effect of this petition is that people might actually have to think of something to say and in turn, become slightly more intelligent

Seconded.

What's wrong with Who Framed Roger Rabbit? It's a classic movie.

I love me some Roger Rabbit, but swtor is not set in Toon Town.

Like someone else said, I cringe every time I read it. It's not the end of the world, it's just grating.

Next on the list, petition to ban using "u mad" and "bro" in any way shape or form.

Side effect of this petition is that people might actually have to think of something to say and in turn, become slightly more intelligent

Agreed. The "Do you even lift?" meme is getting really old too. At least I haven't heard "what is this I don't even" in a while.