Rise of the Hutt Cartel – Free to Subscribers Starting September 12th!

CourtneyWoods

The developers spent money developing the expansion. Every $10 spent on it (including mine) was put towards recouping the costs to make the expansion. All money received over what it cost to make the expansion was put into the profit margin of EA/BioWare.

So yes I and others in the same boat purchased the expansion for you. Lrn2business.

Tell me, do you go and demand your money back when a movie you saw in theaters comes out on Netflix 6 months later?

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welp i'm off work now and can actually log in to play the game so i'm going to leave everybody with my parting argument i previously posted on post #247

feel free to PM me once you're account has been reset to prior your purchase of the expansion and i will provide you with the cartel coins.

if i get no PMs i will assume everybody who is butt hurt is just being a whiny face for the sake of having a tantrum.....

good day :)

Edited by homsikpanda

welp i'm off work now and can actually log in to play the game so i'm going to leave everybody with my parting argument i previously posted on post #247

feel free to PM me once you're account has been reset to prior your purchase of the expansion and i will provide you with the cartel coins.

if i get no PMs i will assume everybody who is butt hurt is just being a whiny face for the sake of having a tantrum.....

good day :)

Nah, you should probably assume you demanded an impossibility. EA CS aren't going to reset anyone's accounts.

I'm amused by the outrage lol.

People upset would have a heart attack if they found out about the WoW Battlechest... 19 bucks for vanilla and 2 expansions which together retailed for 180$ at launch.

I'm sure WoW vets are really upset the newbie "moochers" arent forced to fork up 300$ as an entry barrier into the game lol.

Nah, you should probably assume you demanded an impossibility. EA CS aren't going to reset anyone's accounts.

i was being sarcastic because i doubt anybody is going to honestly request a 6 month account reset in exchange for $10 worth of in game money....if you are, you're an idiot >.>;

Tell me, do you go and demand your money back when a movie you saw in theaters comes out on Netflix 6 months later?

When I go to a movie theater to see a movie I am treated to a comfortable seat, an EXTREMELY large screen, great sounds, and I don't need to clean up anything I spilled on the floor. Seeing a movie in a theater costs more than buying it on netflix because they are different experiences.

There is no different experience or reduced experience with the expansion. How they receive it on Sep 12th is exactly how I received it when it launched. I had to pay $10 to experience it, they are not.

In order for your example to be comparable you would need to ask the question "would I be upset if I went to see a movie in a theater, then 1 week later it was offered for free via the same experience". To that the answer would be yes.

In order for your example to be comparable you would need to ask the question "would I be upset if I went to see a movie in a theater, then 1 week later it was offered for free via the same experience". To that the answer would be yes.

My sides are in orbit. Please, stop. It's too much. "If someone got something I didn't I would be mad".

Guys, I swear, I don't have a sense of entitlement! :rolleyes:

Really though, what's your argument? I destroyed your last example with a wikipedia link. Is it really just "I bought something 6 months ago, enjoyed it now someone else might enjoy it for free"? Because that's not an argument, that's more like you're spoiled. Also again: How am I a moocher? Because I started playing 3 weeks ago and EA decided to give me something for free? So everyone that gets gifts is a moocher. I bet you're a real joy at Christmas

Edited by Kalshic

how is being able to play expanded content 6 months ahead of anybody else not appreciation?

in another game i play i am/was an alpha tester, and all i got for being an alpha tester when the game went live was a different colored in game name (this game doesn't have "titles") i got to play the game, get experience in the game several months ahead of everybody else, and there is also the prestige of being an alpha tester in and of itself.... people are in AWE of me when i enter a room, and they take my opinion seriously when i speak, just because i have a different colored name.

you're getting the above perks i got from being an alpha tester, AND you get to keep your stuff.... i was annoyed when the game when live that my max level characters got erased and deleted and i had to start over from the beginning but honestly i think it was a fair decision, because otherwise everybody would have been butt hurting about why the alpha testers get advanced/limited edition stuff when nobody else does, even though everybody paid the same price for the game.

The difference is that I paid both for the expansion and for my subscription, so it makes sense that I should be able to keep my stuff. Now if you paid the other company to test their game, and then they took your stuff when it went live then you would have a better comparisons to what is happening here. However, I am assuming that you did not pay to play, and so it makes sense that they did what they did. In addition, I assume that they treated all testers equally, and did not say that those who started testing in the last 30 days prior to going live got to keep their stuff, but those who had been testing for longer than that only got a title.

Do you see the difference now?

I'm amused by the outrage lol.

People upset would have a heart attack if they found out about the WoW Battlechest... 19 bucks for vanilla and 2 expansions which together retailed for 180$ at launch.

I'm sure WoW vets are really upset the newbie "moochers" arent forced to fork up 300$ as an entry barrier into the game lol.

Your comparison is flawed. You are talking about a difference between years in WoWs case, to less than a year in this case.

When I go to a movie theater to see a movie I am treated to a comfortable seat, an EXTREMELY large screen, great sounds, and I don't need to clean up anything I spilled on the floor. Seeing a movie in a theater costs more than buying it on netflix because they are different experiences.

There is no different experience or reduced experience with the expansion. How they receive it on Sep 12th is exactly how I received it when it launched. I had to pay $10 to experience it, they are not.

Oh I get it because Bioware didn't pamper you with enough content from the expansion you feel that your 10 bucks wasn't worth it? Okay, they'll try harder for you next time.

How about giving the Cartel Coins to all subscribers who already purchased the expansion, regardless of when they did it? Giving "The Risen" only to early buyers is okay, but I think they also deserve a little bit more than just an in-game vanity item, especially if compared to the benefits for recent buyers.

Otherwise, I am fine with this. :)

Yeah .. its kind of slap in the face for people that ponied up at the start .. if you just bought it you basically get your money back in c-coins, before that you get a "had a nice time" note on the pillow

Not at all, you experienced the entertainment 6 months before these people, that's the comparison. Honestly it doesn't matter how much you whine, they're not giving a refund after you've used the product for 6 months, sorry. I would like to meet the company that does. They're making a smart move, putting all subs on a level playing field, which will bring in more people for the players that have been experiencing the entertainment for the last 6 months more people to enjoy it with more. Edited by DarkDisturbed

Question is, when the next x-pack comes out, will BW make that free to subs? Or will it follow the same model of RotHC? If it goes along the lines of RotHC, most players might just hold off and wait till its eventually free because of how BW handled this situation. Hell, another way to avoid this would have been not to offer 8/11-9/12 buyers CC. Also, why announce this today? Why not announce it last week or at the Seattle Cantina Tour? Why days before the cut off. Edited by bowlergirl

Why do those of who have purchased the game already get shafted on the coins? That makes absolutely no sense. Reward the Johnny-come-latelies and punish the early purchasers/loyal subscribers? It wouldn't be an issue if you didn't give any CC's or only gave the title to the new buyers, but since you are giving CC's away, it's just weird to leave out those of us whom have already purchased the expansion.

Nothing blew up in their face. This will blow over in a week and no one will care. I think by common sense you mean "the approach that would benefit me"

I need to lrn2business yet I'm not the one who doesn't understand price protection? You realize when you bought it you forfeited that money, you don't get to decide on what business decisions they make with your money. You don't get to decide if they want to give it up for free.

If you don't like it become a stockholder in EA. Otherwise you're nothing more than a customer.

Why don't you respond to anything else? Realized I destroyed your example that was built on nothing more than rotting wood? ;)

Let me get this straight. Your a f2p person on the forums giving us vets crap because most of us that have been here paying for the game " so broke freeloaders like you" can come in and play? Then tell the rest of us that have spent insane amounts of money on this game to "suck it up" and just be glad the devs come in to work and be grateful for that? Look dude, I don't give a damm if they give the expansion away for free, never have, never was apart of my argument. WHAT I am concerned with is the fact that EA/Bioware does nothing to reward the longtime subscribers and people like myself that supported the game, even when things looked grim. Where is the vets reward program like most games have? So when they give people that are "just now" buying the expansion 1050 coins, and giving us longtime vets some lame title, how does that make us feel appreciated? It don't, and you can sit here using your big words and your twisted ideology and when your done making yourself look like a toolbox, the fact still remains. EA does not care about their longtime subscribers, only the new ones they are trying to woo in the front door.

If it goes along the lines of RotHC, most of players might just hold off and wait till its eventually free because of how BW handled this situation.

[Citation Needed]

We've discussed this, your hypothetical situations and conjecture don't mean anything. Do you think you're the only person that thought of this, like everyone at EA and Bioware didn't think out possible scenarios like this? People will buy the expansion, but they wouldn't buy it if they didn't have RotHC.

Let me get this straight. Your a f2p person on the forums giving us vets crap because most of us that have been here paying for the game " so broke freeloaders like you" can come in and play? Then tell the rest of us that have spent insane amounts of money on this game to "suck it up" and just be glad the devs come in to work and be grateful for that? Look dude, I don't give a damm if they give the expansion away for free, never have, never was apart of my argument. WHAT I am concerned with is the fact that EA/Bioware does nothing to reward the longtime subscribers and people like myself that supported the game, even when things looked grim. Where is the vets reward program like most games have? So when they give people that are "just now" buying the expansion 1050 coins, and giving us longtime vets some lame title, how does that make us feel appreciated? It don't, and you can sit here using your big words and your twisted ideology and when your done making yourself look like a toolbox, the fact still remains. EA does not care about their longtime subscribers, only the new ones they are trying to woo in the front door.

Let me get this straight, you're illiterate? Where did I say I was f2p? This isn't my first MMO and definitely not my first EA MMO. I'm not going to bother reading the rest of that or responding, whats the point of responding to someone that can't comprehend?

Explanation of the coins since you're a little slow on reading you're probably only on page 4 of this thread: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_adjustment_(retail)

Edited by Kalshic

Well, they did say ORIGINALLY that the expansion was going to be free for subscribers. And now it will be.

But I do have to agree with the majority of people who have stated in this thread... I really don't think it's fair to give a Cartel Coin bonus to ONLY people who purchased the expansion in the last couple weeks. That's VERY unfair. We all paid the same amount to access the same content. I don't think it's right that ANY of us should be excluded from the CC grant. When the expansion goes free, then different story. But, come on. We got a color crystal, title, and a pet for pre-ordering the game. Giving us a title for having purchased the expansion ahead of time seems fair, but not handing out the same number of Cartel Coins to everyone who purchased it really seems weak.

Your comparison is flawed. You are talking about a difference between years in WoWs case, to less than a year in this case.

Cata price dropped down to 9$ in the same time frame. So loyal blizzard subscribers got "shafted" for 50$, here we only got shafted for 10$.

These expansions have a limited shelf life. In a year all they become is an entry barrier.

This move is an indication that they're gearing towards launching a second expansion by expanding the target base for it.

Honestly I'm surprised it hasn't been made available on the CM at the same time so that the new expansion can be pitched to f2p aswell. I'm guessing the 2nd expansion for them will include all rothc content.

Edited by aeterno

So here's my problem with this: I barely missed the pre-purchase window for reasons that are not relevant. Annoyed, but my own fault, so whatever. I knew I was eventually going to get to Makeb, so I went ahead and bought it. Eventually really does mean eventually, tho. I've played a decent amount leveling my alts to finish the chapter 1 & 2 stories for all eight classes. In the six months since the expansion came out, only one of my characters has set foot there or gotten past level 50. (Because level 51 is so much higher, right?) I didn't finish anything more than the very first area on Makeb, never got access to the macro-binocular quests... if anything this expansion has mostly closed off content to me, since the Gree event level cap was raised and I don't PvP.

When I bought it, it was for permanent access to something that was going to be locked away behind a pay wall for the rest of the game's life like every other paid expansion ever. I didn't buy 6 months of early access.

So now I'm out the cost of the expansion with nothing in return but a title that I will happily put on all of my zombie characters... as soon as "Zombie" becomes a selectable race and/or class (hint: it won't, nor should it).

So yes, if another paid expansion comes out I will wait for it to become free because I'm probably not going to actually reach the content in six months. :(

Just heard about this. I happened to have bought ROTHC a little over a month ago...

This is the guy I feel bad for, people that were just on the cusp of the deadline for coins. The ones that may not have gotten their money's worth just yet, but still no coins.

Question is, when the next x-pack comes out, will BW make that free to subs? Or will it follow the same model of RotHC? If it goes along the lines of RotHC, most players might just hold off and wait till its eventually free because of how BW handled this situation. Hell, another way to avoid this would have been not to offer 8/11-9/12 buyers CC. Also, why announce this today? Why not announce it last week or at the Seattle Cantina Tour? Why days before the cut off.

If you want BW to continue making expansions, I wouldn't recommend holding off waiting for an expansion to go free.