What's with the lack of interest with the PTS?

FlyinSpaghetti

OP probably hasnt been here long. People used to participate in the PTS and give loads of feedback until it became clear the devs wern't really listening to the feedback since bugs pointed out appeared in the final release exactly as reported on the PTS.

So is it really that unreasonable that many people dont want to bother wasting their time downloading gigabytes of data and playing the PTS and sending feedback only to feel ignored?

Andryah seems to think so, but only is as much as "PTS" means "Preview Tasty Server" to them.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just havent had time, I would love to test the new stuff, but its hard enough to try to collect enough credits to compete with peopel that play free and just farm - I like that some of my friends can play that cant afford the game, and it helps to rewcruit them, but at the same time, they can play and collect things I dont have time to because i work, if they want the game to succeed, they have to start catering towards peopel who sub and keep subs, not just trying to get mroe people. This is a case of unwise management, the game is awesome, the peoipel runnign the busienss model are screwing it up out of greed. Its liek the difference between old money and new money, the difference between making a product for the love of the prodyuuct and just serving an idol called a dollar bill. When money is all you want, it si all you get. If the focus went back to makign this game amazing liek it was before it launched, peopel woudl stay and conintue to play. Since the focus is only on the bottom line now, peopel can tell when they are just being milked. So lack of itnerest on the pts isnt lack of interest on the pts, its peopel sick fo being milked and treated liek sheep and told lies and falsly advertised to, for instance the resolution fo the game detail in cut scense and not cut scenes, they should have let us decide and not told us were fixingf it, then told us oh it was never meant to be in the game, and oh that setting low medium and high, changed to low and medium, was low and high lyoing to us. People get tired of being trated liek fools and now milked and so stop subbing and playign the game. It isnt a lack of itnerest in the game, the game is great, the problem is the busienss model and those in charge only care about money, not the game. So very few of us that are the cutting edge people and would liek to do the pts really dont have time because now withthe current model, free to play players can pass subs easily in many ways, namely the gtn - so when I finally get enough credits to get what id have to spend hundreds of dollars hoping i got lucky on in the cartel market pakcs to get, because soem free player bought ti and is sellign ti for 20 million or 100 million, then maybe ill try the pts

they know charcter customization and equity are what peopel care about,so they are charging us for it, out the ***.

I know this isnt exactly what u meant, but its why im not there yet - to many dailies to do to try to afford what iw ould like before its gone, no time to help a game that could care less about anything but more of my money - when they change the spirit of it, and go back to wanting to just make a great game and get enough wisdom to knwo thats what will bring subs, then i will change the psirit of what i do and help them do just that.

Edited by CriDaDimon

I would go to PTS and play, if there was reward.

And reward for me would be - mount, pet or some title, since I'm collector of all those things. This way, with limited time for playing, I have too much things to do...

But with that, I would do 100 quests for some mount for example :D

So community... why the lack of interest?

I do not participate on PTS anymore due to the fact that no matter what feedback has been provided, bugs reported, or known issues it has been pushed to live, regardless.

Why waste my time if my voice is not to be heard?

I've played since launch (early beta) pretty hardcore, and have been "burned" multiple times by nerfs, class imbalances, free valor give-aways, etc. Most of which was tested and reported.

Now I just play when I care to, sometimes subscribing, sometimes FTP...as the content goes.

After 15 years of MMO'ing, I've finally figured it out. Devs are infallible and poor at taking constructive criticism. Their ideas are best, and the community has no idea what is good for the game, or class balance.

EDIT: Why do they need testers, when they have metrics?

Edited by T-Assassin

Couple Reasons (Most stated already)

1. Zero Incentives (i.e. No real rewards for doing PTS)

I'm sorry, but just don't have any reason other than a simple "Check it out" to login. The download uses up my internet capacity for the month and I get no ROI on doing anything. Maybe if they would make "TEST" Changes to the Non-OP classes and ask for specific feedback I would gladly help, but they don't.

Great incentive program would do wonders for the PR of this game. (BUT you have to fill out intelligent feedback forms online - not just use the crappy in game bug report). Maybe a RANDOM Loot drop to my MAIN on LIVE servers (Heck even a single CARTEL PACK would be okay).

Part of a Feedback Form would include please pick the TOP 3 ITEMS you would want to see as a possible reward. Even a drop down menu would be nice. Some folks like mounts, titles, BIS gear, credits, schematics and even Cartel Coins. Each person is different so just giving a TITLE would make some happy and piss off others.

2. Bug Tracking & Reporting

As I mentioned already the ability to put in a detailed bug report is pretty poorly designed. You want some REAL feedback then your website should implement some decent feedback tools with drop down menus and submission requirements. The "/bug" doesn't exactly give people warm fuzzy that things are being looked into (since we get a black hole / canned "thx" message on Live for these as well.

3. Feedback (Results from Reported Bugs)

Bioware has FAILED on this very simple PR move. POST / TRACK what you are doing in PTS forums. Maybe the TOP 10 BUGS reports. Then TRACK completed items/resolved or planned resolve dates. HECK even a simple Q1 2014 for resolution would show DEV's care, but have technical issues to resolve.

No QUICK WINS? I seriously doubt that DEV's are not catching and fixing on the fly a great MANY items caught during testing. GET CREDIT FOR IT PEOPLE! Post that as "Caught bug" and resolution date.

Don't want to publish the COUNT of BUGS for fear of QQ storm in forums? Fine - how about we have resolved % of BUGS reported by PTS Users and some of them include XYZ, ABC, etc. You guys have a marketing nightmare on your hands already and you really need to start changing your image with SIMPLE to implement things like this. Your inability to show off what has been accomplished makes it appear you are doing nothing but looking at poorly weighted class metrics and creating new cartel market reskins

4. Lack of Test Script (Details)

A LOT of room to improve the quality of BUG Reporting. Start with removing that crappy /BUG feature and open a web browser instead. How about a STICKY Thread with a link to what you want "TESTED" on specific things (like PVP Arena, OPS, Daily, Etc). This shows you actually HAVE a test script and provides a step by step or at least FYI instruction set of what you need tested or checked out. Each submission requires some PRO and CON conversations. What did you LIKE about this content? What did you HATE or would change? etc...

In addition this testing script with feedback allows the user to fill out the blanks (My MAIN character is XYZ on Server ABC). This enables you to "reward" said user as well with a free gift of some sort for the detailed feedback. Maybe a COMPETITION once a week with a WINNER of a random drawing from all the submitted bug reports (LEGIT ONES) gets a sweet reward. (SUPER RARE Mount or something the user called out as desired).
  5. Takes time away from LIVE RAIDING / PVP

This goes hand in hand with lack of Rewards. If I'm not getting anything from testing on PTS for my TOON(s) that I can use on LIVE then it's not worth my time beyond kicking the tires on PTS and logging off.

Spending several hours RAIDING on PTS for loot I can't use and learning mechanics is great, but DULFY will have step by step ready by the time it's live anyways. :) Give me SOMETHING in return for my time lost on LIVE servers. If I have the slight chance to get an Underworld Token or even a Kell Dragon Token on my REAL TOON on LIVE??? I would be camped out on PTS a whole lot more.

Catch on "LOOT" would be you should clearly state "Here are the items you might get" and the frequency of the rewards for helping PTS. Prevent people from being loot greedy - they only get ONE per account per PATCH to PTS.
Edited by dscount

OP probably hasnt been here long. People used to participate in the PTS and give loads of feedback until it became clear the devs wern't really listening to the feedback since bugs pointed out appeared in the final release exactly as reported on the PTS.

So is it really that unreasonable that many people dont want to bother wasting their time downloading gigabytes of data and playing the PTS and sending feedback only to feel ignored?

Those of us fromt he ALPHA stages of the game are still seeing bugs we reported way back then.

Of course the PvP PTS server bug reports never go anywhere either. Quite regularly any/all pvp bugs make it to live intact, including the original huttball bug where frog-dogs would get a full4 second head start on their door opening. Tooke a LONG time before they fixed that one.

This patch on PTS seems to be testing PvP. I don't PvP.

Last patch seemed to be testing ops. I don't op any more.

For a very long while we couldn't transfer characters. I'm not interested in leveling up on PTS. Or in transferring a character with only some of its assets.

I'm also not interested in spending much or possibly any of my limited play time playing the game yet not actually advancing any of my characters.

Finally, in my experience during game test and subsequently enforced by information I've seen related to PTS, the feedback from testers is largely or completely ignored so I wouldn't actually be providing any tangible benefit to the game by testing and providing feedback.

There are a lot of reasons people don't PTS much. The creative minds at BWEA should find ways to overcome them.

Edited by DarthTHC

Those of us fromt he ALPHA stages of the game are still seeing bugs we reported way back then.

Of course the PvP PTS server bug reports never go anywhere either. Quite regularly any/all pvp bugs make it to live intact, including the original huttball bug where frog-dogs would get a full4 second head start on their door opening. Tooke a LONG time before they fixed that one.

how are you alpha with a 6 digit account ID?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.