Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Official Juggernaut Questions

lMarlfoxl

But then you are stuck with a class that needs to be stationary to achieve max dps. That doesn't work for melee classes. Why do you think Marauders are so much better? Because they can dps on the move.

In a fight, I'm not rolling my fingers all over WASD and moving non stop. I only move when it suits me not to take damage, even then, Rampage is so terrible that Ravage is more than likely on Cooldown by that point. Marauders have the same amount of channels as us, given, we use ours more but, mobility doesn't boil down to our major flaws. Would DoT's fix the issue, possibly, but even then, with Ravage being the back bone of our DPS, we'd need a hell of a buff in Bleeds to counter act the poor proc.

Edited by Luckygunslinger

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a fight, I'm not rolling my fingers all over WASD and moving non stop. I only move when it suits me not to take damage, even then, Rampage is so terrible that Ravage is more than likely on Cooldown by that point. Marauders have the same amount of channels as us, given, we use ours more but, mobility doesn't boil down to our major flaws. Would DoT's fix the issue, possibly, but even then, with Ravage being the back bone of our DPS, we'd need a hell of a buff in Bleeds to counter act the poor proc.

Which is what i'm suggesting. Up the dmg done by our 3 bleeds and leave the Rampage proc alone. That way we can achieve a consistent high dps regardless of the rampage proc. Should we get lucky with rampage proc, we just be a little more "spikey" than normal.

So thinking that if the dmg on bleeds were upped so that we could maintain a consistent 2900ish dps on a dummy but if we get rampage proc lucky we could possibly spike as high as 3200 which would put us closer to some of the better dps classes.

Edited by metaIsaber

Don't be surprised if the answer to #2 is basically just a yes or no answer, since that's the kind of question that was ultimately asked. That's the kind of question, when answered, that gets the most rage from the forumites because they don't feel like their concerns were addressed.

Rule of thumb: Don't ever ask yes or no questions if you can help it. You'll get exactly the answer you don't want and little else.

Which is what i'm suggesting. Up the dmg done by our 3 bleeds and leave the Rampage proc alone. That way we can achieve a consistent high dps regardless of the rampage proc. Should we get lucky with rampage proc, we just be a little more "spikey" than normal.

So thinking that if the dmg on bleeds were upped so that we could maintain a consistent 2900ish dps on a dummy but if we get rampage proc lucky we could possibly spike as high as 3200 which would put us closer to some of the better dps classes.

If it was a bleed based, lightsaber wielding, melee class...then they would be Annihilation Marauders. What you are suggesting does effectively that as Anni Maras do not put an overly high priority on Ravage, we use it when there is >2 seconds on anything better (DS, Annihilate, or Rupture). The Ravage proc is what defines Vengeance and makes it unique, which is why I've continued to argue for changes to Rampage as opposed to any other fixes. I mean look at the way it breaks down for the Warrior classes, each one has a focus on a Warrior ability that increases its usefulness:

Rage - AoE DPS- Smash (Significantly increases its damage)

Annihilation - Bleed DPS - Force Charge (Makes it a legitimate part of the rotation, as opposed to just a gap closer)

Carnage - Burst DPS - Force Scream (Makes it the heaviest hitter by far)

Immortal - Tanking - Retaliation (..or really anything defensive becomes important :p )

Vengeance - DPS - Ravage (Via Rampage)

These are general Warrior abilities that are modulated by each spec and given new uses. There is cross-over, sure. Force Scream is also important to Rage and Vengeance, but no where near as much as it is to Carnage. All Warriors Charge in, but Annihilation Marauders use it waaaaay more often than any other specs and given that it lines up with Deadly Saber, we can time it very well. We can all use our defensive abilities, but none so well as Immortal. And no one uses Ravage to the degree that Vengeance does.

The big issue, as I've said many times before, comes down to the fact that as it stands Ravage is not consistently up enough for it to contribute enough to the DPS of Vengeance. You can "categorize" all of the other Warrior specs but not really Vengeance aside from saying that it is...single target. It needs an identity.

Edited by kennethdale

But again the problem is if you fix Rampage proc, we are still a fixed position dps class which will never compete with ranged or more mobile melee classes in end game raid content.

Go through all the boss fights and list out each mechanic which would cause an interruption in ravage which means dps loss. Most bosses have at minimum 1 if not 2 mechanics (or more) which would cause ravage interruption. If we are given a dps boost on bleeds we are not hurt as much with mechanic interrupts.

Your classifying it as a annihilation jug is pretty accurate which i don't see as a bad thing

Edited by metaIsaber

Some veng juggs find the reliance on the channel a unique challenge to the spec that should be overcome with skill and timing instead of considered a design flaw, so the boost to the rampage proc is seen as a silver bullet for the current rng issues.

If the ability priority was loosened up a bit with lower rage costs and more damage loaded into the filler abilities, a rampage proc adjustment may not be as essential, and it would help the spec perform in areas where it currently struggles (target switching, movement, pvp). So I agree with this sort of alternative solution metal is talking about, but as ssfish mentioned in the other thread, boosting bleed damage would warrant a nerf to the upfront damage of impale and shatter, which would remove some of the burst potential.

It's a complex problem, and beyond a proc adjustment, veng will continue to present issues for some players in PvE and PvP because of its design.

Edited by Marb

Some veng juggs find the reliance on the channel a unique challenge to the spec that should be overcome with skill and timing instead of considered a design flaw, so the boost to the rampage proc is seen as a silver bullet for the current rng issues.

If the ability priority was loosened up a bit with lower rage costs and more damage loaded into the filler abilities, a rampage proc adjustment may not be as essential, and it would help the spec perform in areas where it currently struggles (target switching, movement, pvp). So I agree with this sort of alternative solution metal is talking about, but as ssfish mentioned in the other thread, boosting bleed damage would warrant a nerf to the upfront damage of impale and shatter, which would remove some of the burst potential.

It's a complex problem, and beyond a proc adjustment, veng will continue to present issues for some players in PvE and PvP because of its design.

Once again I'll refer to the dps/survivability correlations of the juggernaut trees, the relationship revolving around the sacrifice of damage potential for survivability. This premise includes optimal gear stats, which even then can be mildly debated.

With the Vengeance tree specifically, we see a fighting style built for momentum. Predominately, Vengeance "leads the charge", with damage mitigation and an uninterrupted window for damage potential. This ability "unstoppable" was at one time available to all specs. We could wonder what the developers were thinking when they decided to isolate this ability. Specifically It was to burn the bridge from hybrid styles, and would in essence reduce any player driven spec balance attempts. It would seem that Vengeance is supposed to be the sole heir of this raw and incredible power.

Further spec synergies, suggest a swift Ravage during the unstoppable phase, but there are many different attacks that can be applied. These attacks all depend on the context of our encounters. Now taking a moment to discuss the vengeance bleeds, specifically, it is easy to question their worth. For example, if you look at the amount of damage that Force Scream bleeds will yield, you'll probably start to laugh.

The bleeds by themselves are small, but all the bleeds follow an initial attack. The initial attack is the focal point of our damage, not the bleed. The Vengeance juggernaut has the obvious option to stack the bleeds. This process requires enough rage to perform Impale, Shatter and Force Scream. The vengeance tree is even designed to approach these attacks in this manner, for the Savagery force scream auto crit needs two bleeds on target. So with this attack/bleed stack combo, we could apply a force choke, in effort to let the full bleed potential run its course. Now of course when feated, vengeance bleeds have a chance to proc resets for Ravage, or a free vicious throw. Now would our emphasis of this spec be our melee, or our bleed damage? That answer is obvious, point being vengeance bleeds are a platform for the RNG dynamics for the rest of the spec.

So... We need our bleeds. The bleeds themselves play fairly smoothly, but truthfully their layout within the tree is clumsy. I say this in regards to the amount of feat points required to select the most obvious, and most viable path. I say this in regards to the 50/100% chance to procs. This has amused me, and I have tested specs where I've only selected 50% bleed potential, in favor of feats in other trees. The end result was at times clumsy, for the vengeance spec looses its groove without Rampage and Destroyer proccing even less reliably than they should.

Lets go back to that "Unstoppable" charge. If we wanted increased damage reduction, we could use Enraged Defense. This would come at a cost to our rage pool, but we could unleash our Ravage while protected well. This is the beauty of Vengeance spec. There are instant trade off options for either applying damage, or trying to survive. The fact that these abilities cost rage to utilize, force us to a hard hot/cold condition. If the developers were to re-examine our communities' request at the rage cost/function of Enraged Defense alone, we could see an increase in damage potential, without having to re-invent the wheel. However, the increased free survivability (while welcome), would be overpowered.

Luckygunslinger had said "It's almost like the developers threw the bleeds in for the hell of it". I can understand this sentiment, for the bleeds are incredibly small. It is in this regard I suggest an overhaul to the bleed system, but not in the way you all think. I personally believe the bleeds should remain small. Like I mentioned earlier, their impact can be noticed by an opponent when punctuated with a force choke, but if we do not deliberately stack them in this manner, the bleeds individually become obsolete. It is within this train of thought, I'd suggest an option to UNLEASH our full bleed potential in one single force attack. This would trigger with the Savagery talent, but only when Seething Hatred was specced.....for example, and obviously go on cooldown. So in essence, what I suggest is an option to allow our bleeds take their course, or select an option to exchange their duration for an increase to the Force Scream attack. This would have to be designed to not increase the Vengeance damage potential, but instead give players a consumable burst option.

This has all been pleasant fiction. I personally have no problems with the juggernaut trees themselves. I chose to remind you all that within the realm of changes made to our class, the correlations between dps potential and survivability must not be forgotten....

Edited by UndyingHadyn
spelling

I disagree with that assessment of needing to nerf the base dmg. I was looking over one my my combat logs on Torparse which was was around 2800dps and didn't have a "great" proc rate of ravage which is what I want since I'd leave the Rampage proc at 30% since i'm making up the dps via bleeds.

The length of fight was 500 secs (yes long but still useful).

I did 1,388,714 total dmg which is 2777 (close enough to 2800).

In order to hit 3000 dps I would need to increase my overall dmg to 1,500,000 (3k/dps * 500s).

So we'd have have to make up ~111k worth of dmg over 500 secs.

My bleeds were as follows:

----------

In order to make up 111k worth of dmg on the bleeds we'd need the bleeds to increase by ~46.5%.

Another alternative is that they possibly increase the base dmg of Impale, Shatter, FS within the Veng

From Logs

Impale 209,741

Shatter 91,282

FS 209,307

Total 510,330

Need 617,499 to achieve 3k dps

That would mean increasing dmg of Impale, Shatter & FS by 21%.

Finally we could have a combination of increasing the base dmg and increasing the bleed dmg.

Again, this is more theoretical possible alternatives to "fixing" the Veng tree and making it more competitive with other dps classes.

Edited by metaIsaber

Once again I'll refer to the dps/survivability correlations of the juggernaut trees, the relationship revolving around the sacrifice of damage potential for survivability. This premise includes optimal gear stats, which even then can be mildly debated.

With the Vengeance tree specifically, we see a fighting style built for momentum. Predominately, Vengeance "leads the charge", with damage mitigation and an uninterrupted window for damage potential. This ability "unstoppable" was at one time available to all specs. We could wonder what the developers were thinking when they decided to isolate this ability. Specifically It was to burn the bridge from hybrid styles, and would in essence reduce any player driven spec balance attempts. It would seem that Vengeance is supposed to be the sole heir of this raw and incredible power.

Further spec synergies, suggest a swift Ravage during the unstoppable phase, but there are many different attacks that can be applied. These attacks all depend on the context of our encounters. Now taking a moment to discuss the vengeance bleeds, specifically, it is easy to question their worth. For example, if you look at the amount of damage that Force Scream bleeds will yield, you'll probably start to laugh.

The bleeds by themselves are small, but all the bleeds follow an initial attack. The initial attack is the focal point of our damage, not the bleed. The Vengeance juggernaut has the obvious option to stack the bleeds. This process requires enough rage to perform Impale, Shatter and Force Scream. The vengeance tree is even designed to approach these attacks in this manner, for the Savagery force scream auto crit needs two bleeds on target. So with this attack/bleed stack combo, we could apply a force choke, in effort to let the full bleed potential run its course. Now of course when feated, vengeance bleeds have a chance to proc resets for Ravage, or a free vicious throw. Now would our emphasis of this spec be our melee, or our bleed damage? That answer is obvious, point being vengeance bleeds are a platform for the RNG dynamics for the rest of the spec.

So... We need our bleeds. The bleeds themselves play fairly smoothly, but truthfully their layout within the tree is clumsy. I say this in regards to the amount of feat points required to select the most obvious, and most viable path. I say this in regards to the 50/100% chance to procs. This has amused me, and I have tested specs where I've only selected 50% bleed potential, in favor of feats in other trees. The end result was at times clumsy, for the vengeance spec looses its groove without Rampage and Destroyer proccing even less reliably than they should.

Lets go back to that "Unstoppable" charge. If we wanted increased damage reduction, we could use Enraged Defense. This would come at a cost to our rage pool, but we could unleash our Ravage while protected well. This is the beauty of Vengeance spec. There are instant trade off options for either applying damage, or trying to survive. The fact that these abilities cost rage to utilize, force us to a hard hot/cold condition. If the developers were to re-examine our communities' request at the rage cost/function of Enraged Defense alone, we could see an increase in damage potential, without having to re-invent the wheel. However, the increased free survivability (while welcome), would be overpowered.

Luckygunslinger had said "It's almost like the developers threw the bleeds in for the hell of it". I can understand this sentiment, for the bleeds are incredibly small. It is in this regard I suggest an overhaul to the bleed system, but not in the way you all think. I personally believe the bleeds should remain small. Like I mentioned earlier, their impact can be noticed by an opponent when punctuated with a force choke, but if we do not deliberately stack them in this manner, the bleeds individually become obsolete. It is within this train of thought, I'd suggest an option to UNLEASH our full bleed potential in one single force attack. This would trigger with the Savagery talent, but only when Seething Hatred was specced.....for example, and obviously go on cooldown. So in essence, what I suggest is an option to allow our bleeds take their course, or select an option to exchange their duration for an increase to the Force Scream attack. This would have to be designed to not increase the Vengeance damage potential, but instead give players a consumable burst option.

This has all been pleasant fiction. I personally have no problems with the juggernaut trees themselves. I chose to remind you all that within the realm of changes made to our class, the correlations between dps potential and survivability must not be forgotten....

This was what I had originally had wanted to post. LoL.. damn Iphones.

This was what I had originally had wanted to post. LoL.. damn Iphones.

Its a lovely article but its entirely based on PvP. I think the discussion was about Vengeance in PvE, and what could be done mathematically to either boost its DPS to a more manageable level or make the class easier to play (I'm in favor of the former, and would prefer a boost to the Rampage proc chance as I enjoy the challenge of getting off Ravages).

Increased Rampage proc chance, either through better chances on Impale/Shatter or additional attacks/bleeds causing the proc, not only improves us through the use of Ravage, but has a huge positive effect on Rage management as well, since a proc restores 3 Rage in addition to allowing use of our heaviest hitting attack that also costs no Rage. It also allows us to get more creative with our rotation, more Rage to spend = more things to do.

On the other hand, just a flat increase to bleed damage, yeah it'd solve the problem but it would mean the spec plays exactly as it does now, which is fine, but I'd prefer to increase the flexibility and potential of the class rather than simply buff it. More Rampage procs = higher potential for more skilled players, but lower floor for less skilled ones (compared to a flat increase to bleeds), and I enjoy when a class plays this way.

Its a lovely article but its entirely based on PvP. I think the discussion was about Vengeance in PvE, and what could be done mathematically to either boost its DPS to a more manageable level or make the class easier to play (I'm in favor of the former, and would prefer a boost to the Rampage proc chance as I enjoy the challenge of getting off Ravages).

Increased Rampage proc chance, either through better chances on Impale/Shatter or additional attacks/bleeds causing the proc, not only improves us through the use of Ravage, but has a huge positive effect on Rage management as well, since a proc restores 3 Rage in addition to allowing use of our heaviest hitting attack that also costs no Rage. It also allows us to get more creative with our rotation, more Rage to spend = more things to do.

On the other hand, just a flat increase to bleed damage, yeah it'd solve the problem but it would mean the spec plays exactly as it does now, which is fine, but I'd prefer to increase the flexibility and potential of the class rather than simply buff it. More Rampage procs = higher potential for more skilled players, but lower floor for less skilled ones (compared to a flat increase to bleeds), and I enjoy when a class plays this way.

Well, there were a plethora of solid suggestions made to assist or revamp the Rampage proc. Hmm. What's the real issue here? Are pve'ers upset about missing a Ravage or not experiencing enough critical euphoria? Believe me, pvp'ers understand your pain. The trade off for us however, is we actually utilize the survivability in pvp. I'll say it as many times as I have to... we can't boost Vengeance dps unless we increase Rage spec's survivability. If that balance is achieved, and perceived from a pvp perspective... I could care less. You pve'ers should be playing Rage, for it is in essence, thee ultimate dps spec that our class has. Make sense?

As Marb stated, Vengeance is a unique and complex spec to address. Pve'ers want solid reliable dps so they can watch their jugs' animations and top the charts. When you crossover to pvp, you'll see a huge imbalance. As much as I love the class(I have 3 jugs), I honestly can't support a decision that simply increases our Vengeance dps. What I can support, is more "skilled" options to utilize the damage potential that we've been given.

Well, there were a plethora of solid suggestions made to assist or revamp the Rampage proc. Hmm. What's the real issue here? Are pve'ers upset about missing a Ravage or not experiencing enough critical euphoria? Believe me, pvp'ers understand your pain. The trade off for us however, is we actually utilize the survivability in pvp. I'll say it as many times as I have to... we can't boost Vengeance dps unless we increase Rage spec's survivability. If that balance is achieved, and perceived from a pvp perspective... I could care less. You pve'ers should be playing Rage, for it is in essence, thee ultimate dps spec that our class has. Make sense?

As Marb stated, Vengeance is a unique and complex spec to address. Pve'ers want solid reliable dps so they can watch their jugs' animations and top the charts. When you crossover to pvp, you'll see a huge imbalance. As much as I love the class(I have 3 jugs), I honestly can't support a decision that simply increases our Vengeance dps. What I can support, is more "skilled" options to utilize the damage potential that we've been given.

...But Rage is NOT the ultimate DPS spec. In any way. For one it is INTENSELY boring, moreso than for Marauders because it is more scripted (Enrage>Smash>Crush>Smash vs Marauders having to do other things to ensure Berserk is up), it is actually lower DPS when up against a good proc run for Vengeance, and it is a VERY safe assumption that the devs view Jugg Rage in a similar light to Mara Rage which means that they have no intention of it being a sustained DPS spec IE not viable in PvE. I'm really confused by your ambivalence towards PvE; from what I have seen the PvE community has always attempted to keep PvP in mind with our proposed changes whereas you seem to care nothing for the side you don't play.

You entirely wrong about why PvE Jugg players want to adjust the DPS of Vengeance. We want to give our raids a reason to bring us. We, like many other classes, want to be able to answer the question of "Why bring a Jugg DPS?" Most of the people I have talked to could care less about "topping the charts". And "watching animations"? Are you trying to be utterly pedantic? In all truth, I could care less about the survivability of Vengeace vs Rage. I would even argue that trying to up Jugg survivability will hit a wall head on in the design of our DCDs; save for Enraged Defenses, they are designed to work with our Heavy armor and our other mitigative factors to extend our life until we can get healed. A Marauders DCDs on the other hand are meant to STOP enough damage to give them time to kill the enemy. Asking for other survivability, whether it is for Vengeance or Immortal will result in people laughing in our faces. This is even more true for Rage because of how most people view it as immensely over-powered, regardless of whether that is a Jugg or a Mara. In essence, what you are asking for is similar to Sorcerers demanding heavier armor; its simply not going to happen.

...But Rage is NOT the ultimate DPS spec. hehe. Yes. It. Is. In any way. For one it is INTENSELY boring, wow...just wow. I seriously question your mentality. moreso than for Marauders because it is more scripted (Enrage>Smash>Crush>Smash vs Marauders having to do other things to ensure Berserk is up), it is actually lower DPS when up against a good proc run for Vengeance, You are disregarding many variables...namely player skill...

and it is a VERY safe assumption that the devs view Jugg Rage in a similar light to Mara Rage which means that they have no intention of it being a sustained DPS spec IE not viable in PvE. ...Never ASSume anything.

I'm really confused by your ambivalence towards PvE; from what I have seen the PvE community has always attempted to keep PvP in mind with our proposed changes whereas you seem to care nothing for the side you don't play.

You display inexperienced, unfair and extremely short-sighted opinions. I have stated numerous times in the many threads that I have constructed, about how the changes affect both pvp and pve. Do not presume my position on pve gameplay. You dislike what I say, because you know I'm right.

You entirely wrong about why PvE Jugg players want to adjust the DPS of Vengeance.

hehe. You are completely oblivious to the fundamentals of our class. You want your cake and you want to eat it too. Your inability to accept the roles of your class, or how to play your class effectively isn't my problem.

We want to give our raids a reason to bring us.

No. You just want an excuse for YOUR raid to bring YOU.

We, like many other classes, want to be able to answer the question of "Why bring a Jugg DPS?" Most of the people I have talked to could care less about "topping the charts". And "watching animations"? Are you trying to be utterly pedantic? In all truth, I could care less about the survivability of Vengeace vs Rage.

You should consider what I say and think outside of your "moar dps" box. The correlations between damage potential and survivability are extremely important.

I would even argue that trying to up Jugg survivability will hit a wall head on in the design of our DCDs; save for Enraged Defenses, they are designed to work with our Heavy armor and our other mitigative factors to extend our life until we can get healed. A Marauders DCDs on the other hand are meant to STOP enough damage to give them time to kill the enemy. Asking for other survivability, whether it is for Vengeance or Immortal...not once have we asked for more survivability in the immortal or vengeance trees. Please read before you continue to embarrass yourself. will result in people laughing in our faces. This is even more true for Rage because of how most people view it as immensely over-powered, regardless of whether that is a Jugg or a Mara. In essence, what you are asking for is similar to Sorcerers demanding heavier armor; its simply not going to happen.

Were these discussions and suggestions aimed at a desired synergy or balance within trees? Immortal works great. Vengeance has great survivability, coupled with great damage potential. Rage is the best dps spec we have...period. Or in your case, were all of these discussions leading to just more Vengeance dps?

All I am stating is, that You cannot keep increasing Vengeance dps and let it retain it's defensive abilities. It's silly.

You continually fail to realize this obvious truth. I could see some sort of consumable proc, or specific burst option being woven in, but it could not exist above and beyond the dps potential we already possess. If you were to increase Vengeance dps potential, you would have to increase the survivability of Rage. Do not fret, for this will be highly unlikely to happen anyways.

Let your anger flow young one. Recite the sith code 10 times, and you'll be good to go.

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

Just a heads up. As I hinted at around the Sorc/Van questions from last time (heal to full anyone? :rak_03:) we will not be posting answers on Fridays anymore. I am aiming to get them to all of you Monday. Either way I will post an update Monday on the status!

Thanks everyone,

-eric

Hey everyone,

Just a heads up. As I hinted at around the Sorc/Van questions from last time (heal to full anyone? :rak_03:) we will not be posting answers on Fridays anymore. I am aiming to get them to all of you Monday. Either way I will post an update Monday on the status!

Thanks everyone,

-eric

Its good to see youve gotten the dev team to take this a little bit more seriously.

Dont tell anyone I can heal to full on my Merc! ;)

Hey everyone,

Thanks everyone,

-eric

I see what you did there...and Approve

Hey everyone,

Thanks everyone,

-eric

Well ya know... maybe if your answers didn't suck... we might not mind having them on Fridays.

Edited by idnewton

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.