just read the dev's talk about sorc.....

danielswann

Listen, you simply do not understand. Sorcerers and Sages are an easy to play class. At the same time, they are hard to master. If you plan on playing this class you must play defensively and make attackers pay for trying to kill you.

My personal suggestion is to charge no less that 50K for each attempt to kill you.

Lest you think this is a troll post:

There are no current plans to give Sages some sort of damage mitigation, though we might tweak some existing skills or abilities if we feel that Sages are underperforming. Force Barrier already helps Sages withstand an assault from multiple players, and how you use it is crucial to your survival. As a Sage, you must play defensively and make them pay for trying to kill you.

---

It is not intended for Sages to be easier to stop because they can heal while specialized to DPS or vice versa; however, the ability to heal is considered to be part of a Sage’s overall survivability. Sages should not be easier to shut down than any other Advanced Class, but due to the fact that most of the Sage’s healing and damaging abilities have an activation time, they may need to be more careful than other classes about using LOS to their own advantage – for a Sage, positioning is extremely important at all times. Sage’s are an “easy to play, hard to master” class, in that most of their abilities are rather straight-forward and easily understood, but getting the most out of those abilities may require a higher skill level than many players are comfortable with.

Edited by Master-Nala

Listen, you simply do not understand. Sorcerers and Sages are an easy to play class. At the same time, they are hard to master. If you plan on playing this class you must play defensively and make attackers pay for trying to kill you.

My personal suggestion is to charge no less that 50K for each attempt to kill :you.

i'm assuming this is a troll post...

I'll be completely honest here, and not troll this post:

I don't think Bioware will notice, or care, if Sorc/Sages don't Arena. There's a reason I brought up Roguecraft in the Sorc forums, and it pertains to the fact that, by the numbers I've been able to gather, Sorc/Sage is among the lowest-played of all classes, and healers among the bunch are even tinier in proportion.

Hell, we could all QUIT PLAYING the Sorcerer/Sage altogether, and that'd be less than 120k toons total.

Sorcerer/Sages are mushrooms.

Vanguard/PT are other mushrooms.

Edited by Oldraven

I'll be completely honest here, and not troll this post:

I don't think Bioware will notice, or care, if Sorc/Sages don't Arena. There's a reason I brought up Roguecraft in the Sorc forums, and it pertains to the fact that, by the numbers I've been able to gather, Sorc/Sage is among the lowest-played of all classes, and healers among the bunch are even tinier in proportion.

Hell, we could all QUIT PLAYING the Sorcerer/Sage altogether, and that'd be less than 120k toons total.

Sorcerer/Sages are mushrooms.

Vanguard/PT are other mushrooms.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but Sorc/Sage is one of, if not the most popular class. They are EVERYWHERE.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but Sorc/Sage is one of, if not the most popular class. They are EVERYWHERE.
This. Sorc/sage has always been one of if not the most popular class and it hasnt changed regardless of all the punches we've taken along the way. It's been "manageable" so far but people will quickly realize how unplayable sorc/sage is in arenas. Sure, you can probably make it work if you're on a team with extremely good players, who all are playing good classes, but you will eventually reach a point where the class, and class alone, will prevent progression. And that's just the team aspect of arenas. It will be ten times worse in the solo queue.

Does speccing DPS stop Sorcs from Healing to Full somehow? No. Sorcs can also simply use Barrier to "withstand an assault from multiple players" then "make them pay for trying to kill you". Devs words, not mine. L2P.

Also,

. Edited by IronmanSS

On pot5 right now, /who 55 sorc: there's 1.5 more sorcs than the next most played classes. Jugg/Sin are tied for the #2 spot. Interestingly Marauders are in next-to-last place above powertechs.

Edited by Savej

I can't even sift through all the angry sarcasm in this thread without deciding what's sincere and what's not.

I'll just sit here and continue to giggle at the raging bandwagon of an out-of-context quote. :D

Actually, the quote is being critiqued absolutely in context. People are mocking the quote because it is absurd on its face. Really, that's all that can be done. Frankly, I don't see much anger at all. Personally, I haven't had such a fun time on a forum in a long time. The Sorcerer answers have provided fodder for some really great memes and Internet fun.

So OP, all I can suggest is:

Keep calm and....

In PvE maybe, yes. That could be right, because the Holy Trinity requires that there be Healers.

In PvP however ? I don't know. Not that much, I guess.

Kind of interesting that this just happened to me last night but, I had 6 Sorcs on my team and we went up against another team in huttball with 5 Sages. LOL

Seriously? I don't think I've seen a team with more than one Sage/Sorc in PVP in quite a while.

there are plenty. even on PTS. have you noticed they're the weakest link on every PTS team? a sorc in arenas is like blood in the water to a shark. their utility is crap compared to a merc too. they have great burst in turret spec, but turret spec is super squishy and, as all turrets, easy to shutdown. really...blood in the water. every stream I've watched, it's the sorc who drops/dies that turns the tide.

I'm not mad that they basically said they won't do anything for those classes in the recent QA. I could argue why some things are the way the are through theory-crafting counters and balance. I'm mad Bioware developers cannot explain to the players who wrote these questions why balance is the way it is in an intellectual manner instead of saying: "Heal themselves to full", "this is a perception problem" and "The road of comparison only leads to disappointment, and I believe many Guardians and Shadows are disappointed in their 30-meter range options". That is nothing but arrogant nonsense and explains nothing. Hell, half of the answers used strawmen to make their claim. It only shows they have no idea what they are doing and are copying other MMOs.

With such arrogance you think they would prove it by showing us their numbers and metrics. Especially when the community is arguing that Vanguard DPS is more then 10% behind and does not fall in the 5% window. But nope, it's just a perception problem.

Edited by Gren-Aluren

there are plenty. even on PTS. have you noticed they're the weakest link on every PTS team? a sorc in arenas is like blood in the water to a shark. their utility is crap compared to a merc too. they have great burst in turret spec, but turret spec is super squishy and, as all turrets, easy to shutdown. really...blood in the water. every stream I've watched, it's the sorc who drops/dies that turns the tide.

I also have been watching arena streams and all I hear is O **** they have a sorc **** him in the b hole! Then they do.... sorc is **** for 55pvp..

... It only shows they have no idea what they are doing and are copying other MMOs...

I think that's the crux of the problem. They copied other games badly and incompletely. They didn't learn from the mistakes of the other games, they repeated them and did several things worse. And now the people they have left are mostly the immature idiots that don't know better or that there are better things out there.

To any devs that might be listening: if you're going to give players bad news or contradict them, provide evidence to back up what you're saying. You more than anyone can say Sorcs dps is fine or many people do well with sorcs in pvp (scoring top dps while putting out more heals than any non-healer and taking not-as-much damage as melee characters, for example). Only you can say how many players run sorcs/sages in pvp vs other classes. But you have to provide numbers to back that up or else players are not going to believe you or take you seriously. And if you can't provide some of those numbers then you shouldn't be taken seriously.

From what I read, one could easily interpret your message to be: "balance doesn't really matter to us and shouldn't matter to you". Balance is important because it boils down to fairness. If there is no intent to give every class a fair shot, then there's no point in anyone playing the classes that don't have one. Sort of like playing a monopoly game: if the hat gets a -1 on every relevant die roll then you're just being punished for using it even if you think it looks the coolest. Of course everyone understands that it is hard to achieve, even impossible given the number of variables, and there's a lot of patience/leeway given. But if it's clear that no real efforts are being made to strive for it, players will lose hope for the game. And hope is what is keeping many of them paying even when they're not having much fun or are actually playing something else.

Edited by Savej

I don't understand this whole commotion. Yes the dev answers wasn't what I was expecting, but they make sense.

Sorcs/Sages aren't now in the bad shape like mendos healers, yes we still not make numbers like ops, but hey it's not that bad. With the proper guarding/taunting you can still heal, and do quite well under pressure. Buffing one of the most popular class to play isn't the wisest move right now. And take the note, that any changes will affect also PVE.

I would appreciate some tweaks to the survivability, but without them it's still not so bad. Proper positioning and some kind of 'game-play awareness' is the key to enjoying this class. We have 15 sec CD strong insta heal spell , second one on 30 sec CD with 0 force cost, 20 sec CD 2,5 second run with ability to remove any mezz, 5 CD cleanse spell with small healing. Force management isn't a problem with innervate/force surge/unnatural preservation combo right now,

Any buff now would make sorc/sage almost godlike class, what would mean another FoTM if it isn't now. Add to this number of ppl playing them - and you should have now a picture how this would look like.

Edited by MasterBLASTERpl

I don't understand this whole commotion. Yes the dev answers wasn't what I was expecting, but they make sense.

Sorcs/Sages aren't now in the bad shape like mendos healers, yes we still not make numbers like ops, but hey it's not that bad. With the proper guarding/taunting you can still heal, and do quite well under pressure. Buffing one of the most popular class to play isn't the wisest move right now. And take the note, that any changes will affect also PVE.

I would appreciate some tweaks to the survivability, but without them it's still not so bad. Proper positioning and some kind of 'game-play awareness' is the key to enjoying this class. We have 15 sec CD strong insta heal spell , second one on 30 sec CD with 0 force cost, 20 sec CD 2,5 second run with ability to remove any mezz, 5 CD cleanse spell with small healing. Force management isn't a problem with innervate/force surge/unnatural preservation combo right now,

Any buff now would make sorc/sage almost godlike class, what would mean another FoTM if it isn't now. Add to this number of ppl playing them - and you should have now a picture how this would look like.

In case you didn't realize but rated warzones are over. There is not point to bringing anything other than an operative healer, they have the best cooldowns, least cast times and most access to CC out of any helaer option. As for dps sorcs proper awareness and positioning will only help so much when you will be tunneled from beginning till end.