EverQuest Next

Anosa

Haven't had a chance to watch the videos yet, but I've read a couple articles and viewed a coupled screenshots. I don't mind cartoony character models, so I'm pretty pumped about this game. The idea that a town you used to hang out in might be completely destroyed a week later is pretty interesting to me.

My hype level for upcoming MMOs at this point:

1. EQNext

2. Wildstar

3. TESO

I definitely sounds intriguing, what they're trying to do, assuming it will really be as they say. But as far as I know, it's still going to be a linear leveling system getting to end game, I guess we'll see.

Did you watch the presentation? In what sense did you get "linear" out of any of it? 8 starting classes. More to be found in game. You find trainers, you get trained. You multiclass if you choose. What about that is linear?

have to agree this looks awesome :D

I was not interested at all before today but after seeing the facial expressions :eek: and the vaulting, just how well the movement was with no clipping or getting hung up on terrain.... so jealous

its going to be awhile before release I think, probably not till 2015

I think a lot of people are forgetting the original character models that came out in EQ2, before the more... human looking ones... the ones that looked like plasticine models or Mr potatoes heads discontinued siblings.

While I would love realistic graphics... I do appreciate that they may of needed to take a more basic graphic approach to balance out the fact that everything can be destroyed.

Imagine hundreds of thousands or even millions of Polys been split, thrown about and reacting off of the environment. Clipping would be a ***** plus the strain on someones PC... especially while it was on an open PvP field

many mmos sound great on paper. the devs and product marketting say all the right things getting the hype up. then fail to deliver what they have been envisioned. Look at Age of Conan. It was suppose to revolutionize pvp. Look at the features the devs were promoting. On release, i recken a 1/3rd of those features were available. 3 years later, they may have gotten 1/2 of those features released. The rest were shelved/canned and the result was a mediocre experience..

many mmos sound great on paper. the devs and product marketting say all the right things getting the hype up. then fail to deliver what they have been envisioned. Look at Age of Conan. It was suppose to revolutionize pvp. Look at the features the devs were promoting. On release, i recken a 1/3rd of those features were available. 3 years later, they may have gotten 1/2 of those features released. The rest were shelved/canned and the result was a mediocre experience..

I thought people played AoC because you could adjust breast sizes on female characters who wore almost next to nothing. Otherwise, all those "great on paper" ideas pretty much flopped...

Being that SWG has been my favorite game to date and felt SOE does a great job with the fun factors of their games I am looking forward to it

I feel Lucas arts played a major roll in the NGE update, though personally found even afte the update that game provides some the most fun I have had. Where else could a play as a rancor

I don't care about graphics or server population even half as much as I care about actual gameplay and massive worlds

So only time will tell but I feel like it should be pretty interesting

If it has an F2P option, I'll give it a whirl. Otherwise, not interested.

"EverQuest Next will join our family of free-to-play games. Learn more about SOE's free-to-play games here. We will announce plans for optional in-game purchases via the EverQuest Next Marketplace and Station Cash in the future. "

Via the EQN FAQ.

The world destruction stuff sounds cool and building your own cities. But MMOs like this fail to last very long or do well. People are too jaded into the mentality that a game has to have end game to survive. I doubt we will see this game succeed for long. Not to mention it is published by a company that prides itself on cash shops and being P2W.

The environments look gorgeous but the models look ridiculous, a bad trade-off if you ask me. I'm all for beautiful looking areas, but some of the models they are using for bosses look a tad ridiculous.

The combat so far looked boring and not very interesting (though it was a demo). It seems to be taking after GW2 with more play input into how things happen. Another issue is that they are taking a route of no trinity. An issue I tend to have with most MMOS. Jumping away from a trinity is not a bad thing if it is done right. MMOs that do this seem to have a hard time of making raids or team combat fun as nobody has a defined role and can do pretty much everything and anything.

This runs into the problem of people not needing others for help or clunky gameplay that isn't fun. Why would I ask someone for a portal to a major city when I can do it myself? Why should I buy this ore for my shield if I can do it myself? Why do I need some healing support when I can easily heal myself and continue tanking/fighting this boss?

Since it is F2P I'll probably pick it up in 2 years when it's done. I don't think this game is coming out anytime soon.

really looking forward to this tbh, i still dabble in eq2 an still consider it a good game an heads above alot of what comes out or is out now.

if soe go live with half of what they have promised for eq next i will be there for launch

I'm going to take the E3 announcement with a grain of salt...

Over the years, I've seen a lot of MMO releases talking a big game at E3 but delivering bupkiss when launch time rolled around.

Graphics have never been make or break for me. Realistic or cartoonish...doesn't matter.

Game play matters and while a lot of what I saw on EQN is ground breaking in some ways, in others it harkens back to past "failures" for SOE such as SWG.

Of course, you'll get the juvenile responses of "if I can't destroy it all, I won't play" because they take solace in being able to possibly interfere with other players fun. It makes sense to limit the sandbox destruction to designated areas to everyone but these types of griefers, after all. But I worry that we'll see the "Tatooine effect" which turned a wild desert into the web's largest suburb combined with such "sandbox castle kicking".

They also don't seem to be worried about class balance which will mean that the FotM will once again rule end-game. Tack on the fact that they appear to be bringing back the original SWG idea of classes (one they actually moved away from on SWG because of class balance issues, amongst others) and an "exploration" learning system and you'll get the lucky players reigning supreme and the rest kicked to the curb.

Still seems to early too make a judgement call on it, but SOE has never been high on my list of trustworthy MMO companies, starting with my experiences in EQ and EQ2 and SWG. Nothing I've read over the years since I left SOE games altogether has done anything to change my mind on them as a company, either.

I do find it fascinating that EQN had this great release, but Blizzards Titan project news release boiled down to one statement that "Titan probably won't be a subscription based model"...

Edited by Grayseven