Unresponsive Controls Due to Rapid Keypresses

sabresandiego

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played WoW to 2400 rating with a Ret paladin and for over 6 years (thought it was 7 but I played from about patch 1.2). I keybind everything - 54 keybinds on my Ret paladin at last count.

Please stop dodging the issue. I know what PvP should feel like. I have not come across this bug. When I do, I will post about it after doing some testing and see if I can reproduce the situations it occurs in.

Edited by Bakarn

Guess the majority of us are imagining it.

Seeing a video of exactly what is going on would be nice. Might give some clue as to whether you are. Given that people reimagined Onyxia's Deep Breath for 8 WoW patches in a row before Blizzard told them outright they'd not changed a thing, I wouldn't put it past people.

I played WoW to 2400 rating with a Ret paladin and for over 6 years (thought it was 7 but I played from about patch 1.2). I keybind everything - 54 keybinds on my Ret paladin at last count.

Please stop dodging the issue. I know what PvP should feel like. I have not come across this bug. When I do, I will post about it after doing some testing and see if I can reproduce the situations it occurs in.

I also played WoW competitively at 2200-2300 rating as a warrior, but lets not throw our ego's around here and stick to the point shall we?

This might have something to do with setting the delay to 0.0 from 0.5. Not sure if other people have changed this setting as well. Not that its the cause, but that since the default is 0.5 delay on all abilities going off it may have "masked" this bug from the general public.

Edited by Polly_Pocket

Seeing a video of exactly what is going on would be nice. Might give some clue as to whether you are. Given that people reimagined Onyxia's Deep Breath for 8 WoW patches in a row before Blizzard told them outright they'd not changed a thing, I wouldn't put it past people.

Easy to test yourself.

Say you jump and mid-jump you cast a channeled spell.

Landing interrupts your own cast. In WoW (Yeah yeah yeah) in the same scenario, you would land and the cast would continue.

What makes the above situation even WORSE is that it tricks the player into thinking the cast is successful, but then upon landing the jump a big red CANCEL comes on screen as if to say "MUHAHA I TRICKED YOU!"

There are a few instances where the animation plays out (channeled spells being a major culprit again) but no damage occurs.

Just pay attention and you'll notice these things. It's a shame, but I'll give EA/Bioware a few months to sort this out if need be. I daresay, WoW has SPOILED me.

Yes, indeed, this is probably the most problematic thing in warzones right now. It's extremely annoying.

When you've got just a bit of lag, you have to tap some instant abilities twice or thrice in order to get them to activate, which spells certain doom in many scenarios with the amount of CC being thrown around.

Also, it's extremely noticeable when attempting to use aoe abilities like mortar volley or pulse cannon. When you stop moving and try to cast them, the game only registers you as having stopped moving about a second later.

That has lead to many a dramatic failure on my part as you stand there thinking your aoe will go off, until you realise nothing happened.

My full auto also constantly channels without doing any (visible) damage.

Edited by Fdzzaigl

I talked to a Bioware customer service rep about the stuttering controls due to rapid keypresses and he told me that it was an intentional mechanic set in place to keep people from spamming buttons, and it forces them to use proper timeing in pressing the buttons in a rotaion. He also said this was set in place on instant cast abilites to make people more skillfull.

This is a huge disavantage for melee which is why I rerolled range.

I talked to a Bioware customer service rep about the stuttering controls due to rapid keypresses and he told me that it was an intentional mechanic set in place to keep people from spamming buttons, and it forces them to use proper timeing in pressing the buttons in a rotaion. He also said this was set in place on instant cast abilites to make people more skillfull.

If this is the case, I'll quit.

I can create this issue with one single press of Force Leap in the opening moments of a fight before I've even entered combat, which basically means everything he said is crap.

Press Force Leap, character stutters all over the place, maybe I leap, maybe I don't.

If they wanted to stop mashing (which is stupid because with lag and delay in an MMO if melee don't mash then you'll miss your chance) then so be it, but I've reproduced this issue a number of times when entering combat with a single button press.

As well as that, my damn CC break and off-GCD abilities create the same issue, my freaking CC break for crying out loud.

If thats true i will quit also , ranged classes get a huge advantage here... no sense .

I had to laugh:

-I will not be purchasing another free month unless this bug or in some peoples mind game mechanic is addressed.

Why would anyone play an MMO specifically designed for PvE for the sole purpose of PvP?

Want pure PvP in an MMO? Play EvE. Better yet play some of the military sims out there like ARMA II.

Are there issues that can be addressed? Sure. If everyone who joined this game just to PvP left (as so many seem to threaten) would there be any noticeable difference in the games player base? It would be small if any at all.

For now...think of keypressing like firing a pistol at a target; just mashing the trigger as fast as you can will not put the bullet where you want it and in most cases wont even hit the target. Controled trigger pulls work far better.

I had to laugh:

-I will not be purchasing another free month unless this bug or in some peoples mind game mechanic is addressed.

Why would anyone play an MMO specifically designed for PvE for the sole purpose of PvP?

Want pure PvP in an MMO? Play EvE. Better yet play some of the military sims out there like ARMA II.

Are there issues that can be addressed? Sure. If everyone who joined this game just to PvP left (as so many seem to threaten) would there be any noticeable difference in the games player base? It would be small if any at all.

For now...think of keypressing like firing a pistol at a target; just mashing the trigger as fast as you can will not put the bullet where you want it and in most cases wont even hit the target. Controled trigger pulls work far better.

ROFL, yeah, this doesn't effect PvE either. Look at my completely ridiculous nonsensical real-world analogy.

Rotations? In PvP? That's retarded and I suspect the CS is talking out of his ***.

ROFL, yeah, this doesn't effect PvE either. Look at my completely ridiculous nonsensical real-world analogy.

If this affects your PvE play then I suggest you may general keypressing issues. Of course if the pressure of PvE encounters is so sterssful to you you mash the keyboard incessantly then I can understand your frustration.

Edited by Greyfairer

If this affects your PvE play then I suggest an anti-spasmodic medication may be in order.

I dont have many problems with the combat animations and fluidity in this game. Certain classes have it better than others however. Guardian/Sentinel animations are very, very nice and have no lag. Same with the sage/shadow melee abilities. However their ranged channels....are not so good. Same goes for the troopers ranged aoe attack.

You fire off the ability and then a second later it starts animating, even though the channel bar has already started. You can definitely start moving or performing another action as the channel finishes, even if the animation hasn't. But it feels disjointed.

I'm confident all of this can be fixed however. Someone at BW needs to go back and make sure all the animations fire off when an ability is pressed and make sure they end within the GCD or channel time.

Pressing a hotkey repeatedly often causes abilities to stutter, or simply not work. This is more noticeable with melee classes, especially jedi knight or sith warrior. The animation will replay itself a few times, then stop altogether or continue through. It happens most often in pvp where things are hectic and keys are pressed more rapidly. Activating multiple abilities which are off the global cooldown at the same time also often results in several abilities not being activated.

These bugs make playing at high speed (such as in pvp) quite frustrating, especially for melee classes.

Wow, you are actually spot the **** on.

I mean...I *knew* something was going on with the abilities not working...and it's absolutely this.

It's not just melee classes though: I main a healer and I see this ALL the time.

Where is Georg Zoeller coming to comment on this thread with his uppity snarkiness like he was in beta when the vast majority of the people weren't playing the game? Mr. Principal Lead Combat Designer? Hello, this is a thread directly talking about your facet of the game????

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.